PDA

View Full Version : Selling an AR at a Gunshow, respond now!!

thedog
12-13-08, 02:48
If I have to sell an AR tomorrow/today at the local gunshow, private sale, how do I protect myself? Can I ask for the buyers I.D. and copy info? What do I do?
I wouldn't ordinarily worry, but I live about 15 miles from the border. US/Mexico. Lot's of criminals..possible ATF guys incognito. What's the best way? I'm one of the good guys. Don't want to get hurt. Just hurting for money......
Anybody?

dog

thedog
12-13-08, 02:49
FYI, I'm in Tx.

Gentoo
12-13-08, 03:13
What make/how much?

Iraqgunz
12-13-08, 03:31
I spoke with one of the guys here from Texas and he told me that there are no issues with FTF transactions in Texas. Having said that this is what I would do if I was selling it;

Using MS word or similar I would type a blanket Bill of Sale with the make, model and serial # of the weapon on it. I put yourself on there as the seller and leave a blank area for the buyer.

I would at a minimum check to see if the person is from Texas and get an ID number. Date, sign and keep the Bill of Sale. This has more to do with protecting yourself than naything else in the event that the weapon is used in a crime down the road. Just my 133 Fils.

thedog
12-13-08, 03:50
Gentoo;

A cheap DPMS Panther Lite, 16'. won't know the price till I walk around a bit..? See what they're going for. My house payment is two months behind... but I don't want to get ripped either...

Iraqgunz, About the bill of sale post, I'll do that before I go in the am. Sounds good from here. Thanks fellows!!

dog

MisterWilson
12-13-08, 06:08
Learn to repeat the phrase "I sold it at a gun show". There ends your liability after having sold it...

As for selling it, get a straw, pen, or pencil, some paper and tape. Make a little sign to insert into the barrel so that you can hold it high when you walk around. Selling your gun is all about putting it in front of as many eyes as you can, and doing that (along with maybe taping a sign to your chest) is the best way to make as many people see it as possible.

IMHO...

MAUSER202
12-13-08, 21:03
Learn to repeat the phrase "I sold it at a gun show". There ends your liability after having sold it...

As for selling it, get a straw, pen, or pencil, some paper and tape. Make a little sign to insert into the barrel so that you can hold it high when you walk around. Selling your gun is all about putting it in front of as many eyes as you can, and doing that (along with maybe taping a sign to your chest) is the best way to make as many people see it as possible.

IMHO...

I do the above but let my wife carry it wearing tight jeans...works every time:D

thedog
12-13-08, 22:30
Thanks for the answers fellows. I was going to do the sign in the barrel thing like you said, MrWilson, but I had the rifle sold as soon as I got in the door. Made a profit, got to keep the mags, case and cleaning kit it came with.
Wish I didn't have to sell, but now I can make a house payment. Still have an AR and AK, never sell, so I guess I'm OK.

dog

30 cal slut
12-14-08, 04:23
i suppose you could always ask for the buyer's concealed handgun license/permit.

that's what i sometimes do if i don't know a guy personally. or have it transferred through an FFL and offer to split the transfer costs. a little caution = a lot of legal CYA.

Caeser25
12-14-08, 06:02
what did it sell for?

thedog
12-14-08, 23:16
I got a grand for it! It WAS unfired though!

I did alright.
dog