PDA

View Full Version : Belts -- Kramer vs. Beltman

John Frazer
12-13-08, 07:55
I've worn Kramer double thickness horsehide belts for nearly 10 years, but the exterior finish on my current one is getting worn. I'm thinking about a new one, but in sharkskin for its superior wear qualities.

Kramer's construction quality has always been excellent, and I started using his products on the recommendation of the InSights Training instructors. Here's the sharkskin model: http://www.kramerleather.com/productDetail.cfm?productID=63&categoryID=2

However, the Beltman.net offers a sharkskin belt at less than half the price: http://www.thebeltman.net/shark.htm

Beltman's product uses a bullhide inner liner, and I do wonder how the overall thickness would compare to a Kramer with a horsehide inner layer.

Can anyone offer a comparison between these two makers based on personal experience, or on observation in classes?

jhs1969
12-13-08, 12:08
I know this is not the advice your looking for but FWIW here goes,

I used to use Mitch Rosen's leather gun belts and have one that is near new but after trying 'The Wilderness' instructor belt that is all I use anymore. In fact I just got a new coyote color for field use. The instructor belts are so good for my needs that I don't touch my leather belts at all anymore. Sorry if this is no help, just a FYI.

Guilty
12-13-08, 13:39
All of my holsters are made by Kramer Leather and the quality is excellent, but I have not tried their belts. I do however have a 2 of Elephant belts made by The Belt Man and the quality is excellent and holds my guns/holsters well...no sagging whatsoever and I expect that I will not need another belt for a long, long time. The Elephant belts really look great and it is my understanding that the Elephant belts are even more durable than the Shark belts. Kramer Leather or The Belt Man, you probably can't go wrong with either.

GLOCKMASTER
12-13-08, 13:46
I have been wearing a belt from the Beltman for several years. I have been very satisfied with it and I plan on purchasing another one from him in a different color.

John Frazer
12-13-08, 15:12
I have been wearing a belt from the Beltman for several years. I have been very satisfied with it and I plan on purchasing another one from him in a different color.

Which material do you have?

Thanks to all for the feedback so far. I'm intrigued by the elephant hide belt -- nice that it comes in dark brown, which works better for my usual everyday wear.

I don't think the Wilderness instructor belt will go with a blue suit, though. :)

GLOCKMASTER
12-13-08, 15:29
Which material do you have?

Thanks to all for the feedback so far. I'm intrigued by the elephant hide belt -- nice that it comes in dark brown, which works better for my usual everyday wear.

I don't think the Wilderness instructor belt will go with a blue suit, though. :)

1.5"Dual Layer Bullhide (http://www.thebeltman.net/bh112.htm)

Alpha Sierra
12-13-08, 19:15
I've never had a horsehide belt, so I cannot comment on that aspect.

But having a five stitch Wilderness and a pair of dual bullhide Beltmans, there is just NO constest. The Wilderness feels like a wet noodle compared to bullhide. It would take an Instructor belt with kydex insert to equal the torsional stiffness of a dual bullhide Beltman without the kydex insert. Add the kydex insert to a Beltman and you can probably carry a BAR hanging from it.

My Model 29s make my Instructor belt sag like nobody's business but ride nice and light on my Beltman bullhide belts.

bundoc
12-14-08, 21:56
I purchased a horsehide belt from beltman a couple of months ago and I am extremely pleased with it. This is my first dedicated gun belt so I do not have anything to compare.

It does its job wonderfully holding up my p228 in a MTAC holster. Their service is also excellent, I lost one of the screws on the belt (my fault, I did not follow instructions); surprisingly, I called them the next day and they immediately shipped a new set of screws free of charge.

I highly recommend beltman.