PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs some advice...

stratguy
11-09-21, 19:00
Hey guys/gals,

I'm not new to firearms, however, I'm new to AR's. I just bought my 1st - a Noveske Afghan 14.5, and am in need of an optic for it. Two things to note - I'm a right-handed shooter and am very left-eye dominate. I'm far-sighted and can't shoot a handgun without reading glasses as I can't see the sights, although my distance vision is good. Would love to be able to use an optic with both eyes open.

Looking for an optic that is fairly good at close range, but also good up to 100 yds. No set budget - will spend what I need to get something good that works.

Recommendations?

Thanks

georgeib
11-09-21, 19:24
It sounds like you're looking for a good red dot. Many here would have you go for a tried and true Aimpoint, which are mostly good to go. A bit overpriced for what you get, in my opinion, but you likely won't have any issues with one. The Micro T2 model can be a bit dim though.

I personally prefer the Holosun 515 models over the Aimpoint because of their features, but have got my eye on their new AEMS model which will be going on a new build.

Mysteryman
11-10-21, 01:35
Aimpoint if you don't want to support Communism.

11-10-21, 05:25
I am also fond of Aimpoint, because they are durable, reliable, non-chinese, and can be left turned on. For the budget-minded, I would look at the PRO. And on the “only the finest will do” end, there is the Comp M5 1.93 combo available at Scalarworks.

stratguy
11-10-21, 06:10
Thanks for the feedback. I definitely want American-made, so Aimpoint it is.

11-10-21, 06:13
Thanks for the feedback. I definitely want American-made, so Aimpoint it is.

Good choice, but its Swedish, just to be clear.

stratguy
11-10-21, 06:45
My mistake, thanks.

georgeib
11-10-21, 07:11
My mistake, thanks.

If you want American made, go with the Trijicon MRO or one of the EOTech holographic sights. Both are good to go, but the Trijicon has battery life measured in years, whereas the EOTech will only last a few weeks.

stratguy
11-10-21, 16:06
I'm ok with Swedish-made...just don't want anything from China.

titsonritz
11-10-21, 16:52
Aimpoint T-2 Micro

stratguy
11-10-21, 18:07
Aimpoint T-2 Micro

That's the way I'm leaning.

Thunderpigeon
11-11-21, 06:06
Do you have an astigmatism? You may want to look through any red dot sights you are considering to see how the dot appears to your eye(s).

georgeib
11-11-21, 06:27
Do you have an astigmatism? You may want to look through any red dot sights you are considering to see how the dot appears to your eye(s).

This is a great suggestion.

Five_Point_Five_Six
11-11-21, 09:27
Since you're leaning Aimpoint I'll toss the PRO into the suggestion box.

mig1nc
11-12-21, 09:16
If your eyes are that bad, like mine, I strongly recommend trying to check out the Trijicon TA44.

There are many threads here in the forum, see what people have to say about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stratguy
11-12-21, 09:52
Thanks, I'll check it out.

If your eyes are that bad, like mine, I strongly recommend trying to check out the Trijicon TA44.

There are many threads here in the forum, see what people have to say about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsbhike
11-13-21, 10:39
Trijicon MRO is a nice red dot and USA made, but be aware they do not always play well with magnifiers(I think the HD model usually works ok) if that is a future possibility.

Good advice on trying any dot first in case of astigmatism. I have a mild level so a dot is useable usually with a small ray coming off it, but some people see a jumbled mess of red globs.

Waylander
11-13-21, 11:00
Trijicon MRO is a nice red dot and USA made, but be aware they do not always play well with magnifiers(I think the HD model usually works ok) if that is a future possibility.

Good advice on trying any dot first in case of astigmatism. I have a mild level so a dot is useable usually with a small ray coming off it, but some people see a jumbled mess of red globs.

Is the magnifier issue really still a thing? My newer MRO non-HD works great with an Aimpoint magnifier.

Inkslinger
11-13-21, 11:16
On the topic of astigmatisms, while not scientific and only personal experience, putting all effort into a hard target focus makes it less of an issue for me. If I allow any of my focus to shift to the dot, it definitely distorts.

jsbhike
11-13-21, 12:18
Is the magnifier issue really still a thing? My newer MRO non-HD works great with an Aimpoint magnifier.A buddy recently bought a new MRO and soon after a local shop had a 2nd hand Vortex micro 3x he picked up. Couldn't get a crisp dot and downrange image at the same time, one would be sharp with the other a total blur. Worked fine on my Holosuns so i ended up with it.

I will throw in we both have a mild astigmatism so it could be the combinations at work there and I have not tried it with an Aimpoint PRO I have.

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk

ndmiller
11-13-21, 17:16
MRO or Pro for dots as already said or a 1-4 Leupold firedot for a low power lower budget scope.

AndyLate
11-15-21, 06:51
The OP has a Noveske Afghan and stated there is not a specific budget.

If you only need to shoot to 100 meters, an Aimpoint T2 is a very light, durable, and well built red dot optic. The Aimpoint H2 would also meet your needs (assuming you don't plan on swimming with your rifle or using NV) and is about $89-90 cheaper. I think it would be easier to resell the T2 if your requirements change down the road.

Andy

stratguy
11-15-21, 07:08
Thanks everyone. I decided to go with an H2. It will be here this week.

GH41
11-15-21, 14:04
Thanks everyone. I decided to go with an H2. It will be here this week.

Dot sights are best used with both eyes open. How is that going to work with cross eye dominance?

stratguy
11-15-21, 14:19
It actually works fine. You just need to be sure that your non-dominant eye is lined up with the red dot as you bring the weapon up - then your dominant eye is focused on the target. I tried it on a friend's AR and you get used to it very quickly.

Disciple
11-15-21, 14:51
Dot sights are best used with both eyes open. How is that going to work with cross eye dominance?

The same way it does when you shoulder your carbine on the support side?

georgeib
11-15-21, 15:06
The same way it does when you shoulder your carbine on the support side?

I was going to say the same thing. Won't be a problem. You're target fixated with both eyes; eye dominance doesn't come into play.

Mysteryman
11-15-21, 19:23
The OP has a Noveske Afghan and stated there is not a specific budget.

If you only need to shoot to 100 meters, an Aimpoint T2 is a very light, durable, and well built red dot optic. The Aimpoint H2 would also meet your needs (assuming you don't plan on swimming with your rifle or using NV) and is about $89-90 cheaper. I think it would be easier to resell the T2 if your requirements change down the road.

Andy

Just an FYI, the H2 works just fine under NOD's on the bottom 3 settings for sure.