PDA

View Full Version : Can y'all teach me about suppressors?

BillB
11-11-21, 11:30
Ive saved a bit of money and instead of another firearm at this point Ive decided to buy a suppressor. However, the more I read the more confused I feel. Im hoping that a suppressor will allow me to shoot simetimes on our new property without stirring up the neighbors, there are only two of them and theyre not right on top of us. Its a very rural setting, nothing but cornfields as far as the eye can see but still I dont want to get on anyones bad side and be friendly.

Honestly folks I feel I really only need a 5.56 specific can, I want max sound suppression but if Im wrong in my belief that using a multi caliber can will not provide the best noise reduction of a smaller (5.56) caliber I wouldnt be surprised. I have one rifle thats not a 5.56, a 6.8spc and thats it. Handguns? Well thats a different story. Id also like max flash suppression from a can as well.

Ive looked at surefire because I have two rifles with the Warcomp already installed. So yeah, I looked at their cans, the rc2 I believe it was.

Ive also looked at the Saker cans, DeadAir Sandman L and a few others. Alot of them seem to be multi caliber. Ive perused SilencerCo and all of the popular haunts but just dont know what to choose.

I wish I could still get an AEM5 for the mk12 because that would make my decision very simple so if anyone knows where one is speak up. I guess I shouldnt have waited so long to make up my mind on getting a can.

So mostly I jist sit at the bench and shoot little tiny groups on paper or ring steel so size isnt a super important consideration for this buy. Im sure though like all other things firearms related once I get one Ill end up getting more.

Budget wise I have about 1k+ to put into a suppressor. Less would be fine or I could go a little higher if needed but hoping to stay around there. $200 extorsion fee is not included in that figure.

Im sure I left out alot of info you would need to help me make an informed decision but that is due to my ignorance about suppressors.

nate89
11-11-21, 11:50
I'd highly recommend you check out pew science. He's doing high quality, quantitative analysis of silencers, and already has a bank of good data you can check out. He also has some good info on using the warcomp with a silencer.

There are lots of variables to consider, length and weight, sound suppression, backpressure, flash reduction, mounting system, durability, etc. You will give up some to get others.

I used to be all on board the "belt fed rated" super durable cans. I have a sandman s and k, and I have a saker 556. They are very durable. They are also very heavy, and fairly loud compared to others. I personally don't have any full auto guns, likely I never will. I have shifted my priorities to lighter weight at the expense of some durability, and one of my favorites to use is the omega 9k on a 300 blackout. It's very short and light, and still provides decent suppression.

Also, don't trust marketing. Actually use a silencer before buying if possible. Maybe there are people in your area you could ask who already own models you are interested in.

Tl;dr: check out pew science, he also has a podcast that I find fairly interesting.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

lonestardiver
11-11-21, 11:58
As mentioned try to shoot some friends suppressors. A .308 can will do a pretty good job with a 5.56 and 6.8. Some cans allow you to use different endcaps to account for caliber changes...just have to be sure you have the correct endcap on. Longer cans tend to do a better job in sound suppression. For what you have a .308 can would cover both and work with other rounds too. If you ever go 300BO, .308 or similar you would be covered. They work great on bolt guns too.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Todd.K
11-11-21, 13:54
1) You will be disappointed putting a can on a 5.56 rifle.

2) In general terms the 308 cans sound a little better to the ear but meter a bit worse than a 5.56 can.

3) There won’t be much difference at a distance, the bullet is making most of the sound your neighbors will hear.

BillB
11-11-21, 14:41
Thank y'all. I do try to shoot anyones suppressor who will let me try it when they see me grinning from ear to ear. I guess I should actually start asking questions instead of just shooting it and handing it back.

I generally don't trust advertining or anyone trying to sale anything. There is always some truth in what they say but weeding through it with any knowledge is not my strong suit when reading about suppressors. Also why I posed my question here as Ive always got pretty good advice from you guys even if I didnt follow it.

Yep Nate, I did read his comparison and did learn some new stuff but it still left questions, need to read more I guess.

I did have an opportunity to shoot a suppressed mk12 mod1 with the AEM5 can and the owner said he was always impressed with how well that system worked and to his more atuned ear said that nothing sounded as good as that can on that gun and he is a pretty well known AR/M16 afficinato with a very large and technical Youtube channel who if I said his name Id bet my paycheck you would know him. Me? I knew no different.

Ill keep reading and watching and asking and Im sure Ill come to a good decision at some point. I mean I have alot of money to spend on one so SURELY it will be the best wont it? (JOKE!!!)

Please keep it coming.

El Vaquero
11-11-21, 15:09

2) In general terms the 308 cans sound a little better to the ear but meter a bit worse than a 5.56 can.

3) There won’t be much difference at a distance, the bullet is making most of the sound your neighbors will hear.

Adding to the above.
- 5.56 is a fast round. Difficult to make quiet.
- I have two Surefire cans, both 5.56 specific. The RC2 and the Mini. Surefire cans are not the quietest nor were they designed to be. They were designed to limit gas blowback, greatly minimize flash reduction, minimal POI, POA change, and have a fast on/off collar system. IMO they succeeded with that mission. But again, they are not the quietest, nor would I call them quiet. Having said all that I have plans to add a third Surefire suppressor which will be in the 30cal/308 size, most likely the 7.62Mini.
- Some folks consider a con having to buy fancy, expensive Surefire muzzle devices to use the cans but it sounds like you that end covered already. Surefire makes nice muzzle devices so that was never an issue for me.
- We are in a golden age of suppressors right now with a lot of quality manufacturers. Saker, Dead Air just to name a few.
- Decide if you want quick detach or direct thread.
- I know this part isn’t what you’re asking but if I was in you’re position looking to try and be a good neighbor and shoot quietly I would get a suppressed .22lr or 300 blackout where you can choose subsonic ammunition and really be quiet. Anything else is going to be relatively loud.

VIP3R 237
11-11-21, 15:12
If you want a modern reproduction of the AEM5 then grab this:

https://ottercreeklabs.com/product/ocm5/

Quieter, lighter, and made with modern manufacturing processes and materials.

sva01
11-11-21, 15:20

Nothing to add...

MistWolf
11-11-21, 15:37

The flip side is, almost any suppressor is better than none.

ndmiller
11-11-21, 17:41
It the supersonic crack that won't go away, but I've used my 308 can indoors on 5.56 and 308 and it's significantly more pleasant. Outdoors is much better.

FWIW I did a 308 can for all rifle calibers I own (308, 7.62X39, 556, 300 Blk), a .45 can for 45 and below handgun, along with a .22 can for all rimfire guns. It seems like a sound strategy when someone posted it here years ago and I'm happy with how it turned out. SO many choices now versus what I purchased, so +1 on the review site.

Five_Point_Five_Six
11-11-21, 17:54

Preach.

chamber143
11-11-21, 18:16
The short answer is the Surefire RC 2. I have one and I also have a sandman s for my 300. Since you already have the warcomps, you will save on having to change out muzzle devices. I cant tell much difference in the two in the db rating but if you want to shoot a lot suppressed, don't worry about the noise reduction. worry about back pressure. The surefire and the dead airs are pretty good in those areas. Although most rifle rounds are to fast to be quiet, I guarantee that once you shoot suppressed, you will be miserable not suppressed. It is considerably quieter and should do a good job for the neighbors. I would tell you to get the sandman and just get the 556 endcaps to be multi cal but you already are invested in surefire ecosystem so to speak. I would get on it though if I were you, I got my first 2 in about 6.5 months but this last one took me almost 10 months. I can only see the times getting longer so I would get in the queue asap.

Wake27
11-11-21, 18:23

If the neighbors aren’t down range, are they really going to hear the bullet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gunnerblue
11-11-21, 19:11
In my opinion (and that's all it is), modular multi caliber cans are not the way to go. In my experience they are too large and screw up the balance of 5.56 carbines (mine anyway) and can be a PIA to disassemble and reconfigure. Others, I'm sure have different experiences.

The Surefire RC2 checks your boxes save for maximum suppression. Respectfully, this is faulty thinking as 5.56 rounds are going to be loud no matter what. Attachment method, POI/POA shift suppressed vs unsurpressed, blowback and flash are more important considerations and this is where the RC2 shines. As well as in overall durability. I have a SiCo Saker-k which compares very well to my RC2 but if you go with that company I'd recommend upgrading to the Key-Mo mounting system which is more expensive and may put you over budget.

Thunderbeast has a new can out, the Dominus, that I've had my eye on. It's marketed as a hard-use 5.56 can but is actually .30 caliber so you use it on your 6.8. Short and lightweight, too. I'm waiting see testing done on its back pressure, tho.

Also, Pew Science is something you should be following if interested in suppression.

Todd.K
11-12-21, 00:18
My post was not intended as being against him getting one. Just to temper expectations and also not focus on just the decibel numbers.

MistWolf
11-12-21, 00:49
My post was not intended as being against him getting one. Just to temper expectations and also not focus on just the decibel numbers.

I didn't take it that way, nor did I intend to imply such, because I agree with all your points including the above.

chamber143
11-12-21, 06:39
In my opinion (and that's all it is), modular multi caliber cans are not the way to go. In my experience they are too large and screw up the balance of 5.56 carbines (mine anyway) and can be a PIA to disassemble and reconfigure. Others, I'm sure have different experiences.

The Surefire RC2 checks your boxes save for maximum suppression. Respectfully, this is faulty thinking as 5.56 rounds are going to be loud no matter what. Attachment method, POI/POA shift suppressed vs unsurpressed, blowback and flash are more important considerations and this is where the RC2 shines. As well as in overall durability. I have a SiCo Saker-k which compares very well to my RC2 but if you go with that company I'd recommend upgrading to the Key-Mo mounting system which is more expensive and may put you over budget.

Thunderbeast has a new can out, the Dominus, that I've had my eye on. It's marketed as a hard-use 5.56 can but is actually .30 caliber so you use it on your 6.8. Short and lightweight, too. I'm waiting see testing done on its back pressure, tho.

Also, Pew Science is something you should be following if interested in suppression.

In some cases you are correct. Not in the case of the sandman s though. It is only maybe a half inch longer and .7 oz heavier. I do agree that the socom rc2 is the route he should go though. If he was starting from scratch I would probably recommend the sandman s though as muzzle devices are 80 vs surefires 150 for theirs. I do think though that once you get a rifle can you will get more so going dedicated caliber cans is the way to go. my second can I bought was a modular 9mm can that I would also shoot 300 black from but I still in quick order ordered a dedicated 30 cal can because I feel that multi cal cans do everything ok instead of rocking at one thing. The sandman s is great at .30 cal suppression and pretty good at 556. the socom rc2 I still to this day think is great at 556 suppression. if you have no desire to get other calibers just go for the surefire.

markm
11-12-21, 08:29

Totally agree. I don't care for suppressors on gas guns. Cans are cans in my experience. None are magically better than the rest. Get one that suits your mount needs/wants... and maybe from a manufacturer with longevity incase you need a repair down the road.

JimmyB62
11-12-21, 08:33
If you use a Surefire can with a Warcomp you will be very disappointed. It will work but the seal is very poor. Surefire does not recommend it from a performance standpoint.

MSW
11-12-21, 14:55
I own several 5.56 cans. The first question i always ask someone interested in buy a can is: what is your goal? My Thunder Beast Ultra is very repeatable on my Tikka & Compass Lake upper. My Gemtech G5 isn’t.

SureFire makes good cans & they have a rep for repeatability, but research, as recommended, is in order.

call_me_ski
11-12-21, 15:53
After being issued an OSS Helix it has become my recommendation for all 5.56 suppression needs. Until I get to test some of the new crop of other flow through cans likes the Sig SLX or KAC PRT.

MegademiC
11-15-21, 10:42
If you want to stick with surefire, look at the 300sps for use on both calibers.

Screwball
11-15-21, 13:20
I picked up three suppressors when I went in…

-Rugged Oculus
-Dead Air Odessa 9
-Griffin Bushwhacker 46

The Rugged is a modular .22 can. I got it for my .22 stuff for around the house (pests and plinking). But I picked up a Beretta Bobcat Covert (threaded) and a S&W M&P 15/22 pistol specifically for it. If you want quiet, rimfire suppressors are definitely where it’s at. I sort of want to get a Ruger Mark series… cut the barrel down and thread it for an Assassins looking pistol (using the Rugged can… no sights, just a red dot in the rear dovetail).

The Dead Air was mainly for my 9mm AR pistol, and I will finally be able to run it as I finally got the fixed mount setup. Will fit the 6” barrel under the forend, with about 5” of the suppressor hanging out. But I also wanted it because it is close to the diameter to the .22 can… and can be adjusted with length. Already have barrels for the Glock and P938. It’s a good can for pistols because it is thin… most can get away with standard sights clearing the can. Was debating about having my Walther PP (.32) threaded… and still may. But I sort of want to see about my Nagant revolver… just because.

The Griffin is sort of going to be my work horse suppressor. Mainly will run on my truck gun (AR pistol), but I have Taper mounts on most of my ARs. Will have my .308 bolt gun threaded soon, and probably will get A2 adapters for the couple ARs I don’t plan on changing the muzzle device on. I do want to get a threaded bigger bore lever gun for it, but figure those won’t be an issue to acquire in the near future.

Mentioned that it will likely live on my truck gun, being it’s a 11.5” 5.56mm. Will it be silent like the 9mm or .22s? Absolutely not. But it will be quieter than an unsuppressed 11.5” AR pistol. [emoji1787] I have ear plugs in the sling for a reason, if I can toss them in. But less damage is better than more… if I had to use it.

My checks were cashed in mid-June, so I’m looking like first quarter 2022. Cannot wait, but I should have most of my guns squared away by then… which is a good thing.

11-15-21, 15:47
The Dead Air was mainly for my 9mm AR pistol, and I will finally be able to run it as I finally got the fixed mount setup.

Where do I obtain this Odessa fixed mount?

Screwball
11-15-21, 16:09
Where do I obtain this Odessa fixed mount?

Was available on SilencerShop… but went out of stock (just checked).

I was driving down to NJ, and first got a heads up that M&P 15/22 short magazines were in stock at MidwayUSA. Bought at Wendy’s in Bangor. Email for the fixed mount came in as I was just passing Portland… so stopped and ordered it.

11-15-21, 16:20
Was available on SilencerShop… but went out of stock (just checked).

I was driving down to NJ, and first got a heads up that M&P 15/22 short magazines were in stock at MidwayUSA. Bought at Wendy’s in Bangor. Email for the fixed mount came in as I was just passing Portland… so stopped and ordered it.
Did some googling… Hansohn Bros has one. I had no idea this existed.

Screwball
11-15-21, 16:22
Did some googling… Hansohn Bros has one. I had no idea this existed.

I’ve been back/forth with Dead Air about it for months. Like May/June time period. Keep saying it is a few weeks out.

I was getting pissed, because I can’t run the piston on the AR. And they aren’t doing a sleeve to allow it to be used.

It’s well made. Plus, it allows other guns to use it… like my PP or Nagant… if I have them threaded.

TehLlama
11-16-21, 08:22
On the rifle side, cans are cans (really just about total volume, weight, and attachment mechanism), so getting a really nice .30 cal can and calling it good makes sense.
.22lr intended cans are definitely the most fun - need something that you can service because those will see tons of rounds down the pipe, they're the most enjoyable outright.

For long guns, one very good can is worthwhile, if you can afford something with low enough POI shift across your intended platforms, just buy muzzle devices and keep track of what the zero shift generally is - I'd keep one constantly zeroed to it, and the remainder it just depends how you plan on using that.

Even a mediocre can is much better than nothing, but since you're paying a $200 troll toll, and you'll likely have it for a long time, get something as nice as you can, it'll ultimately be preferable

Hammer_Man
11-19-21, 14:30
I’m my opinion, Surefire makes the best 556 can all around. Just make sure to stay away from their Warcomp family of muzzle devices.

prepare
11-19-21, 16:31
I’m my opinion, Surefire makes the best 556 can all around. Just make sure to stay away from their Warcomp family of muzzle devices.

With the suppressor or without? Or either one?

Renegade
11-19-21, 18:46
I’m my opinion, Surefire makes the best 556 can all around.

How many others do you have significant experience with? What are your 2nd, 3rd, choices?

Hammer_Man
11-20-21, 10:56
How many others do you have significant experience with? What are your 2nd, 3rd, choices?

First off, too many people focus on audible signature reduction when talking suppressors. There is only so much you can do with super sonic cartridges such as 556. You’re not going to get Hollywood whisper quiet performance from an AR15 using NATO ammunition. Most cans will reduce your average AR to an output of approximately 140 decibels, give or take a few. With that in mind, I advise people to prioritize durability, visible signature reduction, mounting system, zero shift/zero repeatability.

I picked the Surefire because I knew it performed well in all of the priorities listed above. Over the years it has proven to be extremely durable (I think Garand Thumb has put about 80,000 rounds through his without issue). Kevin Owens (retired SF sniper) has stated that “we bought a $*%# ton of extras and put them on a shelf thinking we’d shoot these things out, but we’ve almost sent none back.” It also has excellent zero repeatability. I’ve never really had to re-zero after mounting/dismounting. Lastly I find it has the easiest lockup system, and I’ve never had mine come loose.

My second choice would be a Dead Air Sandman. It’s built just as tough as the Surefire, but I’m not 100% sold on their lockup, as they share technology with Silencer Co. I’ve heard of Silencer Co ASR mounts coming loose. I do understand they’ve since made upgrades, but at the time I made my decision they weren’t available yet. Some may see the current universal nature of their mounting system as a plus, but I don’t. I just don’t see a reason to mount your can to multiple muzzle devices by switching out an adapter.

Not really sure what my third choice would be. TBH my priorities may be much different from yours. If you’re on a budget I’d look at YHM.

prepare
11-20-21, 12:51
First off, too many people focus on audible signature reduction when talking suppressors. There is only so much you can do with super sonic cartridges such as 556. You’re not going to get Hollywood whisper quiet performance from an AR15 using NATO ammunition. Most cans will reduce your average AR to an output of approximately 140 decibels, give or take a few. With that in mind, I advise people to prioritize durability, visible signature reduction, mounting system, zero shift/zero repeatability.

I picked the Surefire because I knew it performed well in all of the priorities listed above. Over the years it has proven to be extremely durable (I think Garand Thumb has put about 80,000 rounds through his without issue). Kevin Owens (retired SF sniper) has stated that “we bought a $*%# ton of extras and put them on a shelf thinking we’d shoot these things out, but we’ve almost sent none back.” It also has excellent zero repeatability. I’ve never really had to re-zero after mounting/dismounting. Lastly I find it has the easiest lockup system, and I’ve never had mine come loose.

My second choice would be a Dead Air Sandman. It’s built just as tough as the Surefire, but I’m not 100% sold on their lockup, as they share technology with Silencer Co. I’ve heard of Silencer Co ASR mounts coming loose. I do understand they’ve since made upgrades, but at the time I made my decision they weren’t available yet. Some may see the current universal nature of their mounting system as a plus, but I don’t. I just don’t see a reason to mount your can to multiple muzzle devices by switching out an adapter.

Not really sure what my third choice would be. TBH my priorities may be much different from yours. If you’re on a budget I’d look at YHM.

What about the Warcomp?

Hammer_Man
11-20-21, 13:28
What about the Warcomp?

I’ve heard the open ports at the top of the Warcomp can cause gas leaks. I did try one, because I wanted to test the muzzle movement negating properties they were marketed to have. I found that when timed for a right handed shooter, and firing right handed, the benefits were negligible. On top of that when firing left handed, it made the lateral movement of the muzzle more pronounced. You’re better off getting the SF3P flash hider, or the four prong if you can find one.

Clint
11-21-21, 09:00
Agree and will add gas blowback to the list.

Not following here.
The old trifecta mounts had a rep for shooting loose, but the ASR is much better.
Keymo as used on the sandman series is completely different and largely regarded as bomb proof.

My second choice would be a Dead Air Sandman. It’s built just as tough as the Surefire, but I’m not 100% sold on their lockup, as they share technology with Silencer Co. I’ve heard of Silencer Co ASR mounts coming loose. I do understand they’ve since made upgrades, but at the time I made my decision they weren’t available yet.

Sandman series come with an integral Keymo and only works with Keymo myzzle devices.
The Nomad and many others use 1-3/8x24 universal threads.
This does allow using the mounting system from your favorite manufacturer.

Some may see the current universal nature of their mounting system as a plus, but I don’t. I just don’t see a reason to mount your can to multiple muzzle devices by switching out an adapter.

Hammer_Man
11-21-21, 09:27
Agree and will add gas blowback to the list.

Not following here.
The old trifecta mounts had a rep for shooting loose, but the ASR is much better.
Keymo as used on the sandman series is completely different and largely regarded as bomb proof.

Sandman series come with an integral Keymo and only works with Keymo myzzle devices.
The Nomad and many others use 1-3/8x24 universal threads.
This does allow using the mounting system from your favorite manufacturer.

I stand corrected then.

gunnerblue
11-21-21, 11:03
The problem I had with ASR was that occasionally it would feel like the can was completely secured but in reality the ASR collar wasn't fully turned. It seemed to me that if the can was not aligned completely concentric to the barrel (i.e. not at a slight angle) the collar didn't always seem to have enough "bite" to get around the muzzle device. Of course if you pay attention it probably isn't an issue but I will say that the KeyMo system is much more robust and secure. Hope this makes sense

Hammer_Man
11-21-21, 11:15
The problem I had with ASR was that occasionally it would feel like the can was completely secured but in reality the ASR collar wasn't fully turned. It seemed to me that if the can was not aligned completely concentric to the barrel (i.e. not at a slight angle) the collar didn't always seem to have enough "bite" to get around the muzzle device. Of course if you pay attention it probably isn't an issue but I will say that the KeyMo system is much more robust and secure. Hope this makes sense

That’s why I like Surefire’s system so much better. There is no mistaking whether or not your can is clocked properly due to the indexing notch on the muzzle device.

Renegade
11-21-21, 11:35
That’s why I like Surefire’s system so much better. There is no mistaking whether or not your can is clocked properly due to the indexing notch on the muzzle device.

Thanks for your detailed response above. I always like to hear why folks choose what they choose.

As an FFL/SOT, I have sold thousands of cans since end of AWB. Guess which mount has most problems? Surefire. More cans sent downrange with that mount than any other. Like 99.99%. So it is always interesting when folks choose it based on mount. It is a complex mount relative to others, generally needs two hands, and as a rule I think less moving parts on a silencer the better. However once you get mount properly installed, it is rock solid and does not move or come off.

I agree the index notch makes it easy to know if it is clocked (DA does this too), but the inability to know if it is pushed all the way on is what causes all the can launches. The design allows one to lock it up, even when it is not fully only. They have never fixed this. Folks really need to pay attention to how far back over Muzzle device it can go and make sure it does that every time before you twist it on.

Wake27
11-21-21, 12:46
Thanks for your detailed response above. I always like to hear why folks choose what they choose.

As an FFL/SOT, I have sold thousands of cans since end of AWB. Guess which mount has most problems? Surefire. More cans sent downrange with that mount than any other. Like 99.99%. So it is always interesting when folks choose it based on mount. It is a complex mount relative to others, generally needs two hands, and as a rule I think less moving parts on a silencer the better. However once you get mount properly installed, it is rock solid and does not move or come off.

I agree the index notch makes it easy to know if it is clocked (DA does this too), but the inability to know if it is pushed all the way on is what causes all the can launches. The design allows one to lock it up, even when it is not fully only. They have never fixed this. Folks really need to pay attention to how far back over Muzzle device it can go and make sure it does that every time before you twist it on.

I’m guessing SF cans outsell every other one though?

I’m not overly in love with the system as I’ve had that issue a few times but don’t have enough time (or recent time) with my KAC to know how it compares on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renegade
11-21-21, 13:51
I’m guessing SF cans outsell every other one though?

No not even close. They are niche like KAC. The reality is most buyers prefer latest offerings, at lower price points, despite many older designs being superior. Hard to talk them out of it, even when I do a demo. Always refreshing to get a customer interested in quality, not price or trendiness.

MegademiC
11-22-21, 13:57

Really? Imo if you pay attention you can feel instantly if the collar didnt turn all the way, then pull like a mag if its dark... that said, are people mounting silencers under stress in the dark?

I also have no issue mounting with one hand.

That said, my next can will have a keymo for mounting optiins, but looks like a good system as well.

Hammer_Man
11-22-21, 14:28

I’ve never had an issue with mine. I find that it’s a ridiculously easy system to use. Push the can on mount, and ensure the indexing notch is engaged all the way, then twist the locking collar. It won’t twist all the way if it’s not seated fully, I know this because it’s happened to me twice. Each time I simply reseated the can, and locked it down.

Clint
11-22-21, 15:11
Here is a quick video from Surefire that shows the proper ( and improper) method to mount the suppressor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MvBqBoRLR0

Clint
11-22-21, 15:22
And one for Dead Air showing a couple different tricks.

Improper mounting by not having the locking ring tight enough leaves the suppressor obviously loose and wobbly, rather than with a false positive engagement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w9DVYZ0P6M