PDA

View Full Version : No thank you, General Motors (anti-pursuit remote control)

ToddG
12-13-08, 13:21
Technology may halt police pursuits (http://www.policeone.com/police-technology/articles/1764928-Technology-may-halt-police-pursuits/)

OnStar, the unit behind General Motors' GPS-based in-vehicle security system, offers Stolen Vehicle Slowdown technology: An OnStar operator can send a signal to a vehicle, restricting its fuel and slowing it to 3-5 mph. The technology is available on about 1 million 2009 GM vehicles, OnStar spokesman Jim Kobus says.

Sorry, I am not about to let some minimum-wage earning telephone operator have the ability to shut my car down because she either believes it's involved in a police pursuit or, worse, mistakenly hits a button on her console while trying to help someone else.

Keep Big Brother out of my engine compartment, please.

zippygaloo
12-13-08, 13:26
delete

LOKNLOD
12-13-08, 14:03
People always laugh when I say I wouldn't want OnStar because essentially someone is tracking you and potentially controlling your car....but it's the truth!
It may seem innocous but it's still an invasion.

I am more than willing to accept the terrible burden of being responsible for checking my oil via dipstick, putting some thoughts into my driving routes in advance, and remembering not to lock my keys in.

sjc3081
12-13-08, 14:30
The same goes for speed limiters. My Maxima was governed at 118, I removed it, so now I can go 140mph. Do I drive 140 ,no, but if I need too I can.

Left Sig
12-13-08, 14:54
The same goes for speed limiters. My Maxima was governed at 118, I removed it, so now I can go 140mph. Do I drive 140 ,no, but if I need too I can.

Usually, speed limiters like that are set based on the speed rating on the factory tires. Since your car can now go 140 mph, make sure you have tires that can handle that speed should you ever need to go that fast. Otherwise, a high speed blowout due to overheating could occur, and that's not a good thing!

SoDak
12-13-08, 16:06
This is part of the reason my family went dodge on our last truck purchases. That and none of us like the 07-newer chevy trucks.

sjc3081
12-13-08, 16:40
Usually, speed limiters like that are set based on the speed rating on the factory tires. Since your car can now go 140 mph, make sure you have tires that can handle that speed should you ever need to go that fast. Otherwise, a high speed blowout due to overheating could occur, and that's not a good thing!
Thanks I know, I upgraded from H to V speed rated tires.

lwoper
12-13-08, 19:57
if they go belly up so does the warranty on all the new cars people have just bought, good for me being in the auto business bad for you because u have a brand new car/truck with no warranty

buzz_knox
12-13-08, 21:06
People always laugh when I say I wouldn't want OnStar because essentially someone is tracking you and potentially controlling your car....but it's the truth!
It may seem innocous but it's still an invasion.

It's worse than that. The OnStar system can be used as a microphone. There was at least one search that has gone public using the system that way. That one involved a warrant, but others may not, especially when someone hacks the system.

Avenger29
12-13-08, 21:13
It's worse than that. The OnStar system can be used as a microphone. There was at least one search that has gone public using the system that way. That one involved a warrant, but others may not, especially when someone hacks the system.

Yep, it's got microphones, tracking, and control over your vehicle.

My truck is pre-onstar. No way in hell am I going to buy something w/ Onstar

Course, if I could buy new, then I'd go with Toyota...

Alpha Sierra
12-13-08, 21:14
Don't you have to activate your OnStart service when you buy a new GM vehicle? If so, just do not. If it comes activated, then F GM.

Avenger29
12-13-08, 21:17
Don't you have to activate your OnStart service when you buy a new GM vehicle? If so, just do not. If it comes activated, then F GM.

I'd be willing to bet they can use it anyway...

They say that GM vehicles now come with one year of Onstar service included. Might not have much option on that...

SoDak
12-13-08, 21:23
I wonder though if there is a way to get a new GM without onstar. I'm sure that I have seen a forest service truck without the little onstar antenna on it. Of course they might not have them since it's a gov't vehicle.

ST911
12-13-08, 21:28

Onstar can be activated without any owner involvement.

Others have published information online on various interesting aspects of Onstar operation and capabilties, as well as the methods to counteract them.

skyugo
12-13-08, 22:29

oh man! creepy.

a cell phone, GPS, and a 9mm is all i need on a road trip. :D and i can deactivate any of em if i need to.

Avenger29
12-13-08, 22:40
oh man! creepy.

a cell phone, GPS, and a 9mm is all i need on a road trip. :D and i can deactivate any of em if i need to.

Lets see...I've got a GPS, maps, cell phone, amateur radio rig, and a gun or two. And spare keys, one in my wallet, the other in a magnetic box stuck way up under the truck in a hidden place.

Why would I need OnStar, especially paying $15 a month? I provided all of the features I would need from it with my own gear (and for cheaper), and my stuff doesn't invite big brother in (with the exception of the cell phone...but cell phones can be lost, or batteries removed).

mmike87
12-13-08, 22:50
Isn't On Star cell based? Just find and disconnect the antenna.

1859sharps
12-13-08, 22:55
Technology may halt police pursuits (http://www.policeone.com/police-technology/articles/1764928-Technology-may-halt-police-pursuits/)

Sorry, I am not about to let some minimum-wage earning telephone operator have the ability to shut my car down because she either believes it's involved in a police pursuit or, worse, mistakenly hits a button on her console while trying to help someone else.

Keep Big Brother out of my engine compartment, please.

If some cars with OnStar can now be disabled remotely, I am thinking big brother is the least of your worries. just wait until the criminal geek element cracks this.

But I understand your concern non the less.

Highway 55
12-13-08, 23:49

+1

I can only vouch for the trucks/SUVs, there are usually three antennas. The first is the tall one for AM/FM radio on the front passenger side fender. The second is the small blocky looking XM Radio receiver above the windshield on the passenger side. The last is the small plastic OnStar cell antenna above the windshield on the driver side. This info is based off of my '04 2500HD, YMMV.

I'm pretty sure XM and OnStar are still optional equipment. Some of the basic models might not come with either. It is true that vehicles that come with OnStar get one year of service free. You get 3 months of XM free.

If you are really that worried about it just disconnect the antenna. Then you can take your tinfoil hat off while driving. :cool:

Alpha Sierra
12-14-08, 08:14

You are correct, but I think I agree with Todd that it is better to just punish GM for this by not buying anything they sell.