PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Bolt cracked.

zack991
11-20-21, 23:14
I picked up a part time job at a gun range and ran into this gem in October and figured I post it. A guy came in with a new Anderson complete rifle and it was his first AR15. The guy was in his mid forties and he was excited to shoot it. He came back in after about 10 mins saying something was wrong with his rifle and it wouldn't cycle. We broke down the rifle and I found the following and I wasn't really surprised. I know Anderson are horrible quality, but when it cant even last 3 rounds of M193 that is just disgusting. I explained to him the long history of Andersons subpar QC of their products and he wasn't happy. We Inspected the carrier and it looked fine and no other damage to the upper was found. I told him to order a complete BCM bolt carrier and this wont be a issue again. He got the rifle very cheap in the 400.00 range and I said even a budget smith and Wesson M&P rifle is leaps in quality above Andersons. He asked what should he do and my advice was to repair the rifle and continue to shoot the rifle and try to enjoy it. I did advise him to replace the other known cheap parts that Anderson likes to cut corners on and he should be good to go. Really makes me mad at the crap they still put out and people still try to argue its all just a roll mark.

TomMcC
11-21-21, 02:08
That's a first for me, never seen a bolt break there. Seen them break at the cam pin hole, but usually after many rounds.

Joe Mamma
11-21-21, 06:50
That's a first for me, never seen a bolt break there. Seen them break at the cam pin hole, but usually after many rounds.

I've never seen one break there either. Before I saw the picture, I was thinking I would have just changed the bolt. But after seeing that, there definitely might be an issue with the carrier too, so that was a good idea for Zak991 to recommend getting a whole new bolt carrier group.

Thanks for posting the pic Zak991.

Joe Mamma

themonk
11-21-21, 07:09
It's just as good though!

hk_shootr
11-21-21, 07:13
Wow, have never seen a tail break before

zack991
11-21-21, 07:25
Wow, have never seen a tail break before

Yea I have always seen them break at the cam hole, we ended up taking the complete carrier out of our M&P rental rifle and it fired perfectly with the same ammo. Anderson is deficiently cheaper and they brake alot in classes but I never seen one break like that.

AndyLate
11-21-21, 08:35
Your advice regarding the BCM BCG is solid, but Anderson would surely warranty the bolt.

Andy

zack991
11-21-21, 08:46
Your advice regarding the BCM BCG is solid, but Anderson would surely warranty the bolt.

Andy

Yea I told him they would happily warranty it for him, he asked if the new bolt would be inspected. I said not like other companies do. I said they do batch testing and they do not do MPI testing as an example. I said just buy a better quality BCG from BCM or other reputable brand and there wouldn't be any concern of quality.

HKGuns
11-21-21, 09:11
If you look closely at the picture you can see the crack in the bolt at the cam pin hole.

georgeib
11-21-21, 09:17
If you look closely at the picture you can see the crack in the bolt at the cam pin hole.

Good catch. Probably really bad heat treatment.

11-21-21, 09:49
Thats not a bolt. That’s a bomb.

titsonritz
11-21-21, 15:19
But they will happily give him another POS "bolt".

TBAR_94
11-21-21, 15:23
Wow. That’s pretty terrible. I have an Anderson lower that has been fine for me, save for a gritty trigger, though it’s built with a BCM bolt.

Uncas47
11-21-21, 18:17
I'll pass on this opportunity

MegademiC
11-22-21, 14:02
Cant beat the price, lmao.

Id be curious what the hardness is.

markm
11-22-21, 14:07
But they will happily give him another POS "bolt".

Exactly. When my Rainier Nickel Boron bolt cracked, I didn't return it. Why would I want another one??

Disciple
11-22-21, 15:01
If you returned it they would be aware of the problem and might address it in future batches. Consider it a service to the community.

zack991
11-22-21, 21:12
Anderson is well aware of their junk, hell they are the reason the offset detent is sold for their lowers because their machinery work sucks so bad. Andersons are the highpoint of the AR world. A service to community is if people would do basic research and not buy them based on price point.

Disciple
11-22-21, 23:34
I meant the Rainier Nickel Boron bolt.

titsonritz
11-23-21, 01:09
Anderson is well aware of their junk, hell they are the reason the offset detent is sold for their lowers because their machinery work sucks so bad. Andersons are the highpoint of the AR world. A service to community is if people would do basic research and not buy them based on price point.

C'mon man, they're just as good as...

titsonritz
11-23-21, 01:10
I meant the Rainier Nickel Boron bolt.

At least they give as shit, I think.

Dutch110
11-23-21, 09:43
Wow a double break. Cam pin hole AND the tail. That's an impressive over achievement even for Anderson. My guess is one led to the other but not sure which one came first.