PDA

View Full Version : Cook the turkey

1_click_off
11-21-21, 19:48
Lighten the mood around here and let’s talk about the best turkey recipes/techniques.

I have been using the Cajun injector creole butter lately and then Cajun seasoning from The Best Stop and cooking in my big easy air fryer.

What I have found with the injector is toss the free one that comes with the creole injection bottle and get a real one. Insert in as few of times as you can. Stick it in and the inject as you pull out(keep in clean guys) then load up with seasoning and inject in the same hole from a different direction. Thought is that the fewer holes in the bird, the more juices that are retained.

Next I will take some olive oil and spread some under the skin and then rub the Cajun seasoning under the skin and then dust the outside of the bird with it as well.

I always liked frying in oil because it was so fast and tastes great, but it was such a waste of oil to only fry one bird and then toss it out. Don’t fry anything else.

You all have any other recipes/techniques that make an awesome bird?

Coal Dragger
11-21-21, 20:04
This is the best Turkey recipe ever:

1.) Take turkey out of freezer if you already have one, or if your employer bought you one.

2.) Throw turkey directly in garbage can, or feed to your dogs.

3.) Go buy a prime rib/standing rib roast.

4.) Follow proven instructions to make your prime rib.

5.) Don’t invite your ungrateful or annoying relatives over. Enjoy your delicious prime rib yourself with your immediate family, or friends who are worthy of quality meat.

1_click_off
11-21-21, 20:14

1.) Take turkey out of freezer if you already have one, or if your employer bought you one.

5.) Don’t invite your ungrateful or annoying relatives over. Enjoy your delicious prime rib yourself with your immediate family, or friends who are worthy of quality meat.

You win, that is the best recipe and technique for sure.

We used to go out to lunch after church with the in-laws after church just about every Sunday. I always said I would rather grill a nice (insert steak of your liking here) and spend less and eat like a king instead of paying for an overpriced middle of the road meal.

Sikiguya
11-21-21, 20:15

Bahaahaaa! We are doing a roast this year as well. Usually we do ham…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diamondback
11-21-21, 20:16
Since it's just three of us and two are older, I usually just order carryout from Denny's or Shari's or Black Bear Diner, but this deep-fried turkey one is a favorite from college.
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/37535

Adrenaline_6
11-21-21, 20:30
I deep fried Cornish hens last Thanksgiving. I think they taste better than turkey and a lot juicier. Doing turkey this year though.
Saw some food show that butterflyed the turkey first, then did a rub. Man it looked good. The skin looked like crispy duck and it cooked in no time.

Honu
11-21-21, 21:09
I should do a roast !
Not a turkey fan was going to get some ribeye cap rolls or something but maybe a standing rib roast would be fun

Honu
11-21-21, 21:10
I deep fried Cornish hens last Thanksgiving. I think they taste better than turkey and a lot juicier. Doing turkey this year though.
Saw some food show that butterflyed the turkey first, then did a rub. Man it looked good. The skin looked like crispy duck and it cooked in no time.

Have had those a few times very good not deep fried but just done in a oven
We used to eat chuckers in the islands a lot and those were awesome :) also pheasant on grill

Arik
11-21-21, 21:20

5.) Don’t invite your ungrateful or annoying relatives over. Enjoy your delicious prime rib yourself with your immediate family, or friends who are worthy of quality meat.THIS ^..... SO MUCH THIS ^

I gave up on turkeys. Tried every kind of marinade, technique, oven, fryer, stove top, grill, brine, rub, infusion... blah blah blah. Turkey always comes out dry and tasteless.

Then a couple years ago I thought...why turkey? So I did beef brisket fried in pork lard!! Was only about 10000X better! Since then we skip the turkey and do something else altogetherhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211122/13d94f48715cdc983cb6a8e6df7d8bf9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211122/b178b05edd7c5d328c9c9351f08c9c26.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211122/0181da126d9b35e0a25c0c7c367b2ae0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211122/daea5fefda98c924f2e8ebec707f347f.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
11-21-21, 21:30
To me, nothing better than traditional.

Butter basted turkey in the oven and leftovers for days. Just wouldn't feel right if we did it any differently. Only time I eat turkey anyway. Stuffing, mashed potatoes with gravy, corn, etc. Lots of excuses to heat up the oven for a cake pan full of leftovers.

I save the hams and the roasts for other occasions. News years eve I typically do lobster tails and ribeye steaks, that's good eating.

Sikiguya
11-21-21, 21:51

Butter basted turkey in the oven and leftovers for days. Just wouldn't feel right if we did it any differently. Only time I eat turkey anyway. Stuffing, mashed potatoes with gravy, corn, etc. Lots of excuses to heat up the oven for a cake pan full of leftovers.

I save the hams and the roasts for other occasions. News years eve I typically do lobster tails and ribeye steaks, that's good eating.

Guess you also partake in fruitcakes too![emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

DG23
11-21-21, 22:24
Lighten the mood around here and let’s talk about the best turkey recipes/techniques.

Butter and oven cooking bags.

Already did one last week.

Got 2 Butterballs from Local Aldis for 89cents per lb. Plan to grab a few store brand turkeys for even less as soon as I spot the right sale. :)

And when the canned pumpkin goes on super sale - I is buying it all. :)

eightmillimeter
11-21-21, 22:31
Brined, seasoned with anything, smoked until breast 165-170. Crowd pleaser.

SteyrAUG
11-21-21, 23:06
Guess you also partake in fruitcakes too![emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Fruitcakes suck. But my wife makes a wonderful turkey. Never had a dried out bird yet.

ViniVidivici
11-21-21, 23:08

I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Coal Dragger
11-21-21, 23:28
Man it’s just not a good idea for me to write a news letter.

All I have are bad ideas that will even when written in jest:

1.) Leave you sleeping on the couch or in a spare bedroom.

2.) Be dangerous to your bank account.

3.) Get us all put on an FBI watch list and have feds are sus meme looking dudes nosing around all the time.

Plus I’m not nearly clever enough to get out more than one or two issues.

gaijin
11-22-21, 10:13

Agree. Anything but Turkey on Thanksgiving approaches sacrilege.

Disciple
11-22-21, 11:41
Fruitcakes suck.

Says a man who has never had a good one. Just as your wife knows how to cook a turkey when many don't, some people know how to make a fruitcake that's actually good.

SteyrAUG
11-22-21, 17:54
Says a man who has never had a good one. Just as your wife knows how to cook a turkey when many don't, some people know how to make a fruitcake that's actually good.

I'm sure. But never a tradition at my house so no need to hunt and find.

Honu
11-22-21, 18:01
Question for you turkey fans

Dark meat like the legs or the white like the breast meat ? I know turkey legs are a huge thing at fairs and such ?

Me I prefer dark meat in poultry much more taste and fattier etc...
but again not a huge poultry fan as other meat :)

1_click_off
11-22-21, 18:53

Dark meat like the legs or the white like the breast meat ? I know turkey legs are a huge thing at fairs and such ?

Thigh meat and the tenderloin under the breast is where it’s at for me.

SteyrAUG
11-22-21, 19:23

Honestly whatever I'm cutting. Since I don't eat with my hands anymore, I'm not as big a fan of wings and drumsticks like I was when I was a kid.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-23-21, 07:55
Usually I smoke some lamb for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but the request was for a turkey this year, sadly. I'll be doing a dry salt brine, Montreal Chicken injection and rub, and smoking for 12 to 14 hours.

Averageman
11-23-21, 08:02
Nothing worse than a poorly over cooked Turkey.
If it takes a glass of water to eat the breast your just wrong. I will be alone this Thanksgiving, I think I will grill some chops.

Averageman
11-23-21, 08:03
Double

markm
11-23-21, 13:03
I just fill the bird with veggies and apples. Slap as much misc seasoning I've accumulated throughout the year on a shilack job of butter. Put it in a pan, poor a beer in the pan and smoke it for 3-4 hours.

Arik
11-23-21, 14:56
Usually I smoke some lamb for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but the request was for a turkey this year, sadly. I'll be doing a dry salt brine, Montreal Chicken injection and rub, and smoking for 12 to 14 hours.
Mmmm.....lamb!! (Homer Simpson voice). Absolutely love lamb. Cold smoked and with your favorite brown liquor is amazing!!

Nothing worse than a poorly over cooked Turkey.
If it takes a glass of water to eat the breast your just wrong. I will be alone this Thanksgiving, I think I will grill some chops.That's how mine came out each and every time. No matter the recipe, instructions, time and temp. No matter who made it. My grandma, my mom, my sister, me... didn't matter. The wings and thighs would be good but you'd need a bucket of water to chase down the breast.

A few years ago said screw this crap. I'm not going to suffer through dinner just because. Besides, the original thanksgiving probably had everything but turkey. Anyway, few years ago I mentioned it to my sister and surprisingly she felt the same way and was on board. Everyone sucked it up because "tradition". Last year I made brisket. This year my sister is making duck, this should be interesting.

markm
11-23-21, 15:19
That's how mine came out each and every time. No matter the recipe, instructions, time and temp. No matter who made it. My grandma, my mom, my sister, me... didn't matter. The wings and thighs would be good but you'd need a bucket of water to chase down the breast.

I don't get this. I mean... I'm worthless at cooking, and I've never dried a bird. Have you cooked one in the bag?

Arik
11-23-21, 15:24
I don't get this. I mean... I'm worthless at cooking, and I've never dried a bird. Have you cooked one in the bag?Personally no but I remember my mom doing it.

I don't know what to tell you. It's not like l/we make up the recipes out of thin air. I'd be interested in making one that isn't dry however, birds are my least favorite meat. I make dark meat every so often and once or twice a year I make boneless chicken breast but I much prefer red meat and fish. So not having turkey doesn't exactly upset me

donlapalma
11-23-21, 17:15
My go-to method is deep fried whole turkey injected and seasoned with Tony Chachere's Cajun Creole Style Butter marinade and seasoning. I've been doing it this way for years and it is always a winner. My family does not want turkey any other way. I actually tried serving a smoked turkey one year. I thought it was fantastic. They pushed that sh*t to the side like it wasn't even there.

Diamondback
11-23-21, 17:25
My go-to method is deep fried whole turkey injected and seasoned with Tony Chachere's Cajun Creole Style Butter marinade and seasoning. I've been doing it this way for years and it is always a winner. My family does not want turkey any other way. I actually tried serving a smoked turkey one year. I thought it was fantastic. They pushed that sh*t to the side like it wasn't even there.

Borrowing from Mark Larue there? :)

SteyrAUG
11-23-21, 17:39
That's how mine came out each and every time. No matter the recipe, instructions, time and temp. No matter who made it. My grandma, my mom, my sister, me... didn't matter. The wings and thighs would be good but you'd need a bucket of water to chase down the breast.

So the first mistake most make it trying to cook a 30+ lb turkey for a dozen or more people. It's a lot like really thick steaks, trying to not overdo the outside without leaving the inside raw is a challenge.

Nobody really wants to kill their family with raw turkey so with a giant bird the top part ends up getting the shit cooked out of it. It is much better to do two birds in the 15 lb range and get them cooked all the way through but it's still tender and juicy.

This is why people fry them, smoke them and do just about anything other than bake / roast them because it really isn't easy.

donlapalma
11-23-21, 17:47
Borrowing from Mark Larue there? :)Not sure if I follow.... But...
Maybe?? If that's how he does it than he can have my family over any time! Lol

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Averageman
11-23-21, 18:12
Nobody really wants to kill their family with raw turkey.

You haven't met my Family yet, have you?

SteyrAUG
11-23-21, 22:01
You haven't met my Family yet, have you?

Anybody here who's going to do it, is going to do it correctly with triangulated sniper fire.

Diamondback
11-24-21, 00:09
Not sure if I follow.... But...
Maybe?? If that's how he does it than he can have my family over any time! Lol

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Larue's deep-fried turkey recipe starts with Tony Chachere's green sauce and the solids strained from Italian salad dressing. Copyrighted, so not sure it's kosher to repost.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-24-21, 00:39
Larue's deep-fried turkey recipe starts with Tony Chachere's green sauce and the solids strained from Italian salad dressing. Copyrighted, so not sure it's kosher to repost.

Lol, why? He posts it publicly on social media...

Mark LaRue's Turkey Frying Instructions

Happy Thanksgiving to you turkeys and here's a tip from The Dead Center of Texas ...

Take the turkey liver out of your bird –– throw it in a non-plastic coffee cup –– toss a couple spoons of your injectin' sauce on it –– now toss it in the microwave for 90 seconds.

It's a tasty snack to enjoy while breakin' the bird out for injectin'.

While I'm at it, here's my deep-fry-the-turkey process ...

1.) Strain a bottle of Zesty Italian salad dressing through some sort of strainer.

2.) Now dump about half a can of Tony Chechere's (green can) into the Italian slurry ... mix more than thoroughly.

3.) Prep the bird by whacking that tail thing-a-ma-jig off and all the loose skin related to it and while you're at it, cut that big scarf of skin off in the neck area too.

4.) Place the whole bird into one of those big throw-away aluminum pans.

5.) Cook the Liver now and snack on it.

6.) Now re-stir your TC/ID slurry , take the assembled injector syringe and suck 'er full and start pumpin' the turkey full ... just everywhere you can get the needle to poke in. Watch out and be careful, I blew a big squirt of it all over a nice shirt tonight (dammit).

6.) Next, cover with aluminum foil and let 'er marinate overnight.

Now to the Deep Fryer ...

7.) I like the 42 qt. Aluminum Pot (w/strainer basket). And IIRC, it takes about 4 gallons of the peanut oil to bring the correct level for an 18-20 pound bird. Not critical.

8.) Bring oil to 375 degrees. Do not go over 375 'cause at around 425 degrees, the sucker will just light on fire all by itself (and then it's hell to put out). Speaking from experience I am.

9.) With the basket not yet in the oil, lower the bird into the strainer basket neck down, feet up. I find it best to throw the neck over to one side of the basket and lean the feet to the far side. You'll see what I mean.

10.) Ready to lower into the oil (it's a two-man job for max safety). I pass a broom handle through the basket handle and let the other guy grab his end while I got mine, and we then lift the bird in a coordinated fashion, center it over the oil, then lower it slowly in. I say slowly because that 375 degree oil sears the skin on the initial slow entry and that's good. Don't get scared in the lowering op. It'll boil and carry on, but stand your ground.

11.) As soon as it's in, scramble to get the broom handle out and the lid slammed on. Oh. and I forgot, one of those thermometers is to be attached to the basket.

12.) It's cookin' time. I run them ~4 minutes a pound (or until it floats is also good). A 20 lb. bird gets 75-80 minutes.

13.)The oil temp will drop, let it, but stabilize that temp at 325 degrees.

14.) Same drill to get it out. Run the broom handle through the basket handle ... get on either side, lift out, hold over oil and let drain awhile, lift on out and sit on a piece of plywood or a cardboard box of some sort.

15.) With gloved hands, grab the drumsticks and gently pick the bird out of the basket and place on a "clean" aluminum throwaway pan.

16.) Now here's where the proprietary LaRue process comes into play. Cut the whole damn thing up into fajitas, serve on hot flour tortillas with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and salsa of some sort. The proper setup is cheese on the bottom, meat on top of the cheese, lettuce liberally slung all over, pico de guillo (sic) on top the lettuce, a good picante salsa slung on top of it all - fold it and enjoy. Chips and hot sauce go good with it too - heat your Mexican corn chips a little in the oven (to bring the oil out a little) and serve 'em hot.

17.) You're done and now a well-liked turkey scalder.

The end - ML

1_click_off
11-24-21, 06:59
Italian dressing……I don’t remember what I was injecting about 20 years ago, but I was doing my own thing with Italian dressing and thought if it can get sucked into the syringe it should inject out just fine. Man that didn’t work and that needle plugged up and I pressed so hard I blew the needle off the end of that free syringe they give you. I shot dressing on the wall from counter height to the 12’ ceiling of my first house. Man I miss that house, it wasn’t big at all, but with the layout and the high ceilings it felt big. Another tip, injecting seasoned melted butter into anything cold doesn’t work real well either. The butter solidifies too quickly.

Adrenaline_6
11-24-21, 07:49
The easiest way to deep fry is to buy the electric XL version (Butterball has it and I think the OEM version is Masterbuilt). All modular so it cleans up easy - very well thought out. The XL will hold a 20lb turkey.

You set the temp (usually 375) and forget about it until the light turns green. No chasing the temp by adjusting flame...and no open flame on top of that. Win - win.

You can do it in the comfort of your house - indoors. Another win.

Comes with a basket to put the turkey in and a grab tool that hooks to the basket handle to put it in the oil or take it out. One person job - easy peasy.

Has a timer built into it. Drop the turkey in. Set the timer (3 minutes per pound + 5 minutes per bird). I found the longer recommended times of 3.5-4 minutes is too much. Walk away and enjoy doing what you want to do until it beeps.

At @$100 for the XL fryer, going outside and dedicating all that time, chasing temps and dealing with the clean up is an absolute waste of your holiday with family time and a no-brainer.

I save the oil a week or two and do wings, cornish hens, whatever you want after the fact. Why toss it right away?

donlapalma
11-24-21, 09:23
Exactly this ^. I have the electric fryer and it is a vast improvement.

ace4059
11-24-21, 10:03
Mmmm.....lamb!! (Homer Simpson voice). Absolutely love lamb. Cold smoked and with your favorite brown liquor is amazing!!

A few years ago said screw this crap. I'm not going to suffer through dinner just because. Besides, the original thanksgiving probably had everything but turkey. Anyway, few years ago I mentioned it to my sister and surprisingly she felt the same way and was on board. Everyone sucked it up because "tradition". Last year I made brisket. This year my sister is making duck, this should be interesting.

I have found if they are “dry” the most common mistake is being over cooked.
Buy a food thermometer and cook till 165 degrees and pull it when it reaches temperature. The one I cooked yesterday was done but the “indicator “ or “popper” never popped.

1_click_off
11-24-21, 10:04
I got ahead of myself in the original post and just mentioned I didn’t like wasting the oil for a single fry but I forgot to mention that I use a Big Easy oil free propane fryer. That thing is awesome. I have racks for legs, wings, turkey basket, ka-bobs, and maybe even a few more. It works great.

It even has a tray at the bottom one can place a tin foil pan in to catch the drippings for making gravy with.

1_click_off
11-24-21, 10:07
I have found if they are “dry” the most common mistake is being over cooked.
Buy a food thermometer and cook till 165 degrees and pull it when it reaches temperature. The one I cooked yesterday was done but the “indicator “ or “popper” never popped.

This is they way. (Stolen from the Mando’s)

I pull them out when I fry, air or oil, just because I don’t want to melt them. Might not, but not risking it.

1_click_off
11-27-21, 08:06
So I break out the bird and ask the wife where the creole butter injection stuff is at because I can not find it. I see the look a terror on her face as she forgot to pick it up the prior week. Since I have 7-8 of Mr. Larue’s triggers, I figured I would sample his recipe. I will NEVER buy that jarred injector mix again. LaRue’s recipe is the absolute best turkey injection recipe I have ever had. I did modify it slightly and used Zatarain’s instead of Tony’s seasoning. I find Tony’s has a little too much sodium.

MistWolf
11-27-21, 09:13

I like your style

MistWolf
11-27-21, 09:16
I'm sure. But never a tradition at my house so no need to hunt and find.

I REALLY like your style!