PDA

View Full Version : Need BUIS Advice

Will M&P15
12-13-08, 16:44
I got a Smith and Wesson M&P15 A with Detachable carry handle, I am getting an EOTECH 512 for Christmas and will most likely pull the removable carry handle and mount it on the flat top rail. Now What is my Best Option for a a BUIS system that wont break the bank . Will I need to replace the front sight also or just the back with a flip up version..? Rifle has a 16 "bbl and the current rear is calibrated 6/3 on the elevation wheel. it is my understanding when using a Holo sight such as the EOTECH that you just sight right thru your Holo with your Iron sights...?

Thanks for any tips or advice you can give me.

LettersFromEarth
12-13-08, 17:23
Look into a LaRue Tactical BUIS. You wont regret it. Also, consider running LaRues EOTech riser. I find the 512/552 series of HWS's sit too low and I consider the LT riser a MUST (for me) when running my 552. Good luck.

Buckaroo
12-13-08, 17:28
RRA makes a riser with a built-in BUIS that is pretty good.

They call it the Dominator. The current version is the Dominator II.

Buckaroo

JSGlock34
12-13-08, 17:58
I wouldn't use a fixed rear like the LaRue or LMT without raising the EOTech. I personally find absolute co-witness with a fixed iron sight to clutter the sight picture. I've used red dots in a lower 1/3 cowitness with fixed irons, which is fine.

I recommend a folding rear if you're going to mount the EOTech directly to the upper without a riser. Troy makes outstanding folding rear sights. There's a reason why LaRue, Noveske, S&W and others use Troy flip-up sights.

You don't need flip up front sights and I see no reason to cut down your Front Sight Block (FSB) unless you plan to run a magnified optic. That's also pretty major surgery, as it would involve installing a free float rail and either shaving down the FSB or installing a low profile gas block.

S&W uses Troy sights for its M&P 15A and 15T models, and you might even be able to find a S&W marked Troy sight on the resale market at a discount.

Will M&P15
12-13-08, 22:18
Sounds good to me, I didnt want to change the front sight tower unless I had to,I look at the troy /smith flip up rear sight and the larue riser mount

Paladin_139
12-14-08, 02:57
I personally use a Matech BUIS on mine, which is current standard issue on all new Army M4s. I've never had any trouble with it but I can see that it could easily be bent if it was in the up position and got dinged or pushed to the side hard or something. I shoot through a Eotech 512 and just use the factory front sight. I however bought this BUIS before doing much research and I have to say I'd definantly try out a Troy and plan to do so in the future. The Matech only has the small peep hole which rules it out for low light and such, but after all it's just a back up sight. Last time I checked they ran around $100.00. I'll post a picture if you'd like when I get home.

Parabellum9x19mm
12-14-08, 07:35
RRA makes a riser with a built-in BUIS that is pretty good.

They call it the Dominator. The current version is the Dominator II.

Buckaroo

skip the Dominator. i got ride of mine.

LaRue riser and LaRue BUIS is the way to go. costs about the same amount of money, gives you more flexibility and gives you QD capability.

Will M&P15
12-14-08, 14:26
I have been looking at options being mentioned. I am sure I will be able to find some thing that will work for me. I want to do it right the first time as I already have the money tied up in the package so far, No sense in getting skimpy now.

Thanks for the info guys. If any one has any pics of what thier outfit looks like please send them to me.

glockfix@chilitech.net

kptaylor
12-21-08, 10:53
I wouldn't use a fixed rear like the LaRue or LMT without raising the EOTech. I personally find absolute co-witness with a fixed iron sight to clutter the sight picture. I've used red dots in a lower 1/3 cowitness with fixed irons, which is fine.

I recommend a folding rear if you're going to mount the EOTech directly to the upper without a riser. Troy makes outstanding folding rear sights. There's a reason why LaRue, Noveske, S&W and others use Troy flip-up sights.

You don't need flip up front sights and I see no reason to cut down your Front Sight Block (FSB) unless you plan to run a magnified optic. That's also pretty major surgery, as it would involve installing a free float rail and either shaving down the FSB or installing a low profile gas block.

S&W uses Troy sights for its M&P 15A and 15T models, and you might even be able to find a S&W marked Troy sight on the resale market at a discount.

Good info. Trying to decide whether to mount an EOTech directly to the upper or to go with a riser. Quick change outs won't really matter as this is just a range plinker, so may just save the money.

SwatDawg15
12-21-08, 11:11
Here is a picture of the MI BUIS mounted on my M&P15. I like it, and it works for me. Picture was taken right after I zero'd them, hence the Aimpoint is off the rifle.

There is one for sale in the Sale forum right now.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii21/swatdawg15/Guns/015.jpg

kptaylor
12-21-08, 15:15
There is one for sale in the Sale forum right now.

Not anymore! ;)

Thanks for the picture.

TehLlama
12-21-08, 22:28
Fixed: LaRue. If you need elevation, LMT. YHM will work on a shoestring budget.

Flip: TROY. PRI, MI, ARMS will also do - waiting on MBUS to come out. KAC, Matech are also options if you want elevation and flip.

Alpha Sierra
12-23-08, 21:06
I use an Aimpoint CompC so I have no opinion on the desireability of a riser for the EOTech.

I have used a MI folding rear sight in the past and after having it fall apart on me one week before carbine class, I do have a strong opinion against MI folding sights.

Mark Larue and company were kind enough to make sure I got his rear BUIS in time for me to zero my gun and go to class. And beyond that, his product is bomb-proof tough and works as advertised. It co-witnesses in the lower third of my scope and thus makes the shift from dot to irons lighting fast and seamless. Same can't be said for a sight that has to be flipped up for use.

If your optical sight has no magnification, you do yourself a disservice by using a folding front and rear sight.