PDA

View Full Version : Your guns are going to fail

okie
11-21-21, 22:06
So while I'm in between houses I've been living out at our acreage in the RV, which has given me lots of time to try and shoot up all the practice ammo I've been accumulating for over a decade.

In less than a week of that, I've found out that my thought to be bomb proof, Crane approved aftermarket trigger is a POS, and that Glock front sights are absolute garbage. The new trigger with only a thousand rounds on it started firing bursts at maybe the 3-5 hundred round mark, then started failing to reset, and now fires a burst and fails to reset maybe five times per mag. I googled it, and apparently I'm far from the only one to have that problem.

Then as if that weren't bad enough, my front sight flew off my Glock 19 while I was shooting it! And now it's lost in the grass somewhere and have zero expectation of finding it. And yes, I used the red stuff, which apparently isn't quite as tenacious as its reputation might suggest.

Prior to this week, I was firmly convinced that my guns were rock solid and ready to go. Granted the AR is relatively new, but it's a stock Colt (besides the trigger that shall remain nameless), and the Glock I've had for over ten years, with the sights on it for probably the last five, and have put many rounds through it. In retrospect though I'm not sure what convinced Glock it was a good idea to hold the sight on with a tiny little screw like that. I guess the results should have been predictable.

So yea, that's about it. Long story short, I found out that my primary and my backup, which is also my daily carry, were in fact NOT good to go. And am now having to trash a three hundred dollar trigger and a two hundred dollar set of sights.

But seriously, like 98% of guns are going to go down if shit ever hits the fan, and I'm probably being conservative. I'm a dude who buys only high quality, battle tested guns to begin with, and is extremely judicious with any aftermarket mods, and I still can't seem to get it right. God help all these people on social media buying PSAs and tricking them out with all manner of crap.

DG23
11-21-21, 22:16
Then as if that weren't bad enough, my front sight flew off my Glock 19 while I was shooting it! And now it's lost in the grass somewhere and have zero expectation of finding it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/17-in-mini-magnetic-sweeper-62704.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12169518939&campaignid=12169518939&utm_content=114845743377&adsetid=114845743377&product=62704&store=406&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI64mKr42r9AIVGIiGCh1hRQByEAQYAyABEgLa2_D_BwE

Not same exact one but use similar at the shop and it works...

okie
11-21-21, 22:19
https://www.harborfreight.com/17-in-mini-magnetic-sweeper-62704.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12169518939&campaignid=12169518939&utm_content=114845743377&adsetid=114845743377&product=62704&store=406&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI64mKr42r9AIVGIiGCh1hRQByEAQYAyABEgLa2_D_BwE

Not same exact one but use similar at the shop and it works...

Gonna have to look into that, thanks! Not sure if the sight is steel or aluminum though.

Bulletdog
11-21-21, 22:24
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, but my experience has been different.

I've got several Glocks with over ten thousand rounds through them after dozens of classes and I've not lost a front sight on any of them. Nor a rear sight for that matter.

Like wise on the AR triggers. I've got whatever came standard on 2008 LMT lowers, some stripped lowers built with DD parts kits, and some with Geissele ALG triggers or SSA triggers. Again with multiple thousands of rounds of practice shooting and classes with not one single failure of any kind in the bunch.

My guns appear to not be failing. I suppose any of them could fail the next time out, but they haven't so far.

Coal Dragger
11-21-21, 22:31
I’ve had no failures in any of my quality AR’s with Geissele triggers or my KAC SR-15.

That said there’s a reason it’s a good idea to keep spare parts. Better yet keep spare guns if you can. Sometimes stuff breaks, if you have spares you can get your boom stick or blaster back up and running.

Arik
11-21-21, 22:37
I'm an oem kind of guy. Don't know if that's better or not but I can't be bothered diddling with firearms, or anything really. It either works for me straight from the factory or I don't buy it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-21-21, 22:41
The older I get, the more I like stock stuff. You change one thing and it can have knock on effects that you can’t anticipate.

ViniVidivici
11-21-21, 22:58
Okie, count yourself fortunate that you got to figure that shit out ahead of time.

This is how you find out if your shit is TRULY solid. You run it.

That's how some of us DO know our shit is GTG.

SteyrAUG
11-21-21, 23:03
The only thing that needs to be swapped out on Glocks are factory sights if they are not NS models.

That front sight (standard) is an absolute piece of plastic garbage. I would NEVER replace a factory Glock trigger, people do that trying to get a nicer trigger break but that is just the way striker fired triggers are. If you try and improve them, something else is going to give.

Order some trijicon or mepro NS and return the trigger to stock and your life will be vastly improved.

After being a gunsmith going on 20 years, and amateur fixer an additional 10 years, most firearm failures I've seen are self imposed "improvements" done by the owner.

Glocks and AKs are considered by many to be virtually indestructible buy I've seen both rendered useless by aftermarket products. It's a goddamn AK, it's never gonna have a trigger break as nice as your bolt action hunting rifle.

Add to that, thousands of people with a "sample of one" dropping their firearms experience and suggestions on the internet. "My [insert only crappy gun I've ever owned] has been flawless and shoots 1MOA at 10 miles."

SteyrAUG
11-21-21, 23:05
Okie, count yourself fortunate that you got to figure that shit out ahead of time.

Concentrated truth. Now if only we could inform the entire internet.

WillieThom
11-21-21, 23:13
Finally puts enough rounds through primary and secondary firearms to make sure everything’s good to go. Realizes things aren’t g2g….

It happens.

Trust but verify.

okie
11-22-21, 00:44
Finally puts enough rounds through primary and secondary firearms to make sure everything’s good to go. Realizes things aren’t g2g….

It happens.

Trust but verify.

It surprised me though because the Glock I've had for a long time, and the AR is one most recent of many. The Glock had quite a few rounds through it (but not like to the point where it was needing TLC or anything), and the AR had enough through it that I had deemed it good to go.

I still have zero idea what's going on with the trigger in the AR. But googling it has revealed a bunch of other people with the exact same issue with triggers of that certain brand that shall remain nameless. In any case, I cleaned and inspected it really well, and I can't see any reason why it would be doing this all of the sudden. I don't know if the springs fatigued or what. None of the surfaces look worn or chipped or anything. It's a complete mystery. I've never had a milspec trigger fail me though so I guess I know what to do. Not looking forward to the grittiness but it sure beats random bursts. I was afraid the neighbors were going to report me lol.

Diamondback
11-22-21, 01:00
It surprised me though because the Glock I've had for a long time, and the AR is one most recent of many. The Glock had quite a few rounds through it (but not like to the point where it was needing TLC or anything), and the AR had enough through it that I had deemed it good to go.

I still have zero idea what's going on with the trigger in the AR. But googling it has revealed a bunch of other people with the exact same issue with triggers of that certain brand that shall remain nameless. In any case, I cleaned and inspected it really well, and I can't see any reason why it would be doing this all of the sudden. I don't know if the springs fatigued or what. None of the surfaces look worn or chipped or anything. It's a complete mystery. I've never had a milspec trigger fail me though so I guess I know what to do. Not looking forward to the grittiness but it sure beats random bursts. I was afraid the neighbors were going to report me lol.

Try an ALG QMS or ACT, or one of the similar "milspec derived but refined" versions?

okie
11-22-21, 01:08
Try an ALG QMS or ACT, or one of the similar "milspec derived but refined" versions?

Probably okay but it's stock Colt for me from here on out. I just don't have the ammo to find all the gremlins out there, and who knows if or when prices will return to normal.

turnburglar
11-22-21, 01:18
Buying "tier 1" manufacturers is nice; but testing and verifying yourself is paramount.

I was in the AF and even though I wasn't a flyer or maintainer; I promise you those guys didn't let their ego's rest on the prestige of a company like Boeing, Northrup, or Lockheed. Instead they took their shit apart, inspected everything, and kept detailed service records. If you treat an AR like a plane you will never have a problem regardless of brand name.

I run a lot of franken guns that have many PSA parts. I dont consider a gun GTG until it has at least a case of ammo through it. I have had 2 guns that wouldn't run right. One was due to less than $25 in out of spec parts that where replaced in 2 minutes and the gun has never had a hiccup since. The other gun required a gunsmith to work their magic even though it went back to the manufacturer like 3 times. Since the gunsmith it has also been flawless. In my experience if a gun is gonna be an issue it shows up very quickly. Everything else just runs for thousands of rounds flawlessly.

pag23
11-22-21, 03:41
I keep Glocks stock except for sights...but I also check the tightness yearly if shooting a particular gun a lot and I use blue threadlocker...

Inkslinger
11-22-21, 06:05
Of course your guns will fail. Everything mechanical can/will malfunction or fail. Quality components and correct assembly reduces but does not eliminate the possibility. If a F1 car can experience malfunctions and failure, so can your rifle, regardless of what components are used or who produced it.

Caduceus
11-22-21, 06:23
N of 1, I had a glock sight come loose during a class. I caught it and ended up using the instructor's Glock for the remainder.

Gen 4 glock 23, if it matters.

Also had an AR that choked on steel case during a class. It's no longer in my rotation... but I also don't feed my rifles Tula anymore. Yes, I'm aware that it should be OK.

flenna
11-22-21, 06:37
I'm an oem kind of guy. Don't know if that's better or not but I can't be bothered diddling with firearms, or anything really. It either works for me straight from the factory or I don't buy it.

That’s me. Other than sights, lights and (sometimes) furniture I don’t do anything else to my SD guns. Never had a malfunction caused by anything other than crappy ammo or a bad magazine. But maybe I am just lucky.

mRad
11-22-21, 07:01
I’ve had sights fly off many guns. Makes me laugh when I hear how fragile red dots are, but only irons are durable. This includes Glocks, Sigs, CZs, and 1911s. Haven’t lost an RMR, yet.

I had an aftermarket Glock trigger break and become useless at 20,000-25,000 rounds. The dingus thing broke and wouldn’t allow me to pull the trigger back far enough to fire.

I had a top tier AR trigger go down in the first 500 rounds. It wasn’t Geissele but one known to be “better”.

I had an AR get knocked off a bench and bend a BUIS to where it was unusable. The T1 on the rifle maintained its zero.

I’ve had chambers get gunked up by steel case poly coated ammo. It ran the steel but the brass would hang up when fired after it…extractors would rip the rim right off leaving the case in the chamber.

I’ve had primers blow on cheap mil-spec ammo and land in the trigger, requiring breaking the gun down.

I’ve had bolt lugs shear off completely during the later part of life cycle, also landing in the trigger putting the gun down until it could be broken down.

I’ve had barrels give up the ghost and suddenly start key holing.

I’ve had precision rifles randomly miss the target by feet at extended range, but it would still maintain accuracy at 100 yards.

I’ve had expensive match triggers in bolt-guns freeze up from minimal dust.

I’ve had AICS magazines needing feed lip tweaking from being dropped in a match. I’ve also seen dust take down pistol mags.

I’ve had bolt actions extraction angle change to where they would bump scope knobs and land emptied back in the action.

Yup, vet your stuff and stay on top of replacing it before service life is finished. It can make for a very bad day. Also, don’t **** with your guns unless you are going to have time to put in the rounds to ensure it functions. For carbines and pistols, you should change anything with an unknown unless you’re going to kill a thousand rounds or more through it before trusting your life to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arik
11-22-21, 07:53
That’s me. Other than sights, lights and (sometimes) furniture I don’t do anything else to my SD guns. Never had a malfunction caused by anything other than crappy ammo or a bad magazine. But maybe I am just lucky.Same although I had an issue with a particular brand of rifle and a particular brand of ammo. Same ammo different rifle was ok. Same rifle different ammo was ok too! So I just don't buy that ammo anymore.

Otherwise I've just never been the accessorizing type. Not with cars, not with firearms, nothing that I can think of. Partially because I just am not that into it. I like firearms enough to shoot and enjoy the historical or the self defense side. I think it takes a higher level of interest to start accessorizing. In a perfect world I would be given a gun for daily use then I would return it and get a clean one at the end of the day! I wouldn't even have to look at it or clean or anything. The other part is I'm a cheap prick and I can't bring myself to spend hundreds of dollars on some aftermarket accessory without ever trying it first. That $300 rail is cool but if it doesn't work for me then what? That money doesn't grow on trees!

mack7.62
11-22-21, 08:01
The Crane approved trigger is the SSF so the SSA is the semi version, is that the one that failed?

camoman
11-22-21, 08:05
Your Glock must be the exception. Or perhaps the sights were not torqued enough, I don’t know.
What I do know, is I have a Glock 22 that’s been in the family for about 15 years.
Meprolight night sights installed for 12 of those 15 years, thousands, and thousands of .40, which we all know has sharper recoil the 9mm….and I still have a front sight.
I’m thinking your sight was either stripped, or not torqued correctly.

T2C
11-22-21, 09:05
I replace OEM Glock sights with steel sights and leave the rest of the pistol as it came from the factory. I haven't had any issues.

I saw a shooter sending rounds down range, then stop because the front sight came off of his brand new, fresh out of the box S&W Sigma. I had the same thing happen to me with a Taurus TCP380.

This is why you shake down your equipment before putting it into serious use.

Hank6046
11-22-21, 09:25

^^^This. I've seen some very expensive guns go down in classes, with just a little bit of rain or hard use

titsonritz
11-22-21, 11:41
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, but my experience has been different.

I've got several Glocks with over ten thousand rounds through them after dozens of classes and I've not lost a front sight on any of them. Nor a rear sight for that matter.

Like wise on the AR triggers. I've got whatever came standard on 2008 LMT lowers, some stripped lowers built with DD parts kits, and some with Geissele ALG triggers or SSA triggers. Again with multiple thousands of rounds of practice shooting and classes with not one single failure of any kind in the bunch.

My guns appear to not be failing. I suppose any of them could fail the next time out, but they haven't so far.

My experience mirrors this as well.

Disciple
11-22-21, 11:48
My word mRad, just how much do you shoot?

mRad
11-22-21, 11:54
My word mRad, just how much do you shoot?

Not as much as I used to. The last two years were not normal, but 2019 when components and ammo were available, I shot 20,000 9mm and 10k 5.56mm. I put around 2500 rounds through various bolt guns. When I was heavy into PRS and F-Class I’d run around 5,000 in bolt guns and less in handguns. In typical years, I shoot two to four USPSA matches a month and two precision rifle matches a month…until hunting season.

2021 I’ve shot about 5,000 combined pistol, rifle, shotgun. I like to keep reserves up so until prices come down, I just won’t spend the money. I’m not paying for $125/k primers quite yet.

Esq.
11-22-21, 12:23
What do you think has more engineering, your AR or the Space Shuttle?

The Shuttle has turned into a Bottle Rocket TWICE...

Your "Tier One" rifle....WILL BREAK. They ALL break sooner or later- assuming actual use vs. Instagram bullshit.

Todd.K
11-22-21, 12:26
Probably okay but it's stock Colt for me from here on out. I just don't have the ammo to find all the gremlins out there, and who knows if or when prices will return to normal.

Are you sure about that? Buy quality from a manufacturer that will take care of it if something happens, but don’t think any one company is particularly above ever having a problem.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?232776-Colt-Modern-Sporting-Rifle-(MSR)-Safety-Recall

HKGuns
11-22-21, 12:48
This is why I try very hard to buy known quality components when assembling rifles. None are trusted for anything until they've been through sea trials.

My most recent sea trials revealed a newly built 556 rifle with an MBT 2s trigger that won't function properly with a SIONIC's enhanced LPK (Non Mil-spec safety switch.) Something clearly stated in the directions, that I didn't read, because I have installed so many trigger groups at this point. Swapped to SSA-E and all is fine.

There remains more work to shake this one down and I haven't even started shaking down the 6.5G and the new magazines it requires to function properly.

Hoping the Grendel will at least be OK for hunting, but I have my doubts as I've already removed the doughnut from the extractor just so it would extract when cycling rounds to test magazine feeding. I'm hopeful the Magazines I bought will feed reliably, although this seems to be an inherent issue with many suspect mags that don't function well.

I don't buy gLoCk's, my goto pistols are HK's that are typically rock solid, but everything will break eventually.

Pappabear
11-22-21, 13:02
My experiences have been very good as well. Most of my issues are self inflicted shit like yesterday, we have been working up a good 6.5 load. I bring my trusty Bergara that 3 weeks ago, suddenly, it was shooting 2 inches low. So I rezero. Yesterday, its shooting 3 inches high and groups are 2 touching then two touching an inch apart.

I'm like fck it, I'm checking the rings and base. Rings very tight, base loose as fck but you couldnt tell by trying to move by hand. How many times is this going to happen. On a side note, I think Rockset goes bad after a time. Threw out the Rockset and I trowed on some RED and called it good.

PB

Hank6046
11-22-21, 13:22
My experiences have been very good as well. Most of my issues are self inflicted shit like yesterday, we have been working up a good 6.5 load. I bring my trusty Bergara that 3 weeks ago, suddenly, it was shooting 2 inches low. So I rezero. Yesterday, its shooting 3 inches high and groups are 2 touching then two touching an inch apart.

I'm like fck it, I'm checking the rings and base. Rings very tight, base loose as fck but you couldnt tell by trying to move by hand. How many times is this going to happen. On a side note, I think Rockset goes bad after a time. Threw out the Rockset and I trowed on some RED and called it good.

PB

That's funny because last week I did the exact same thing, I had a box of Hornady 150gr Softpoint deer rounds, I believe I bought 3 boxes of them 2-3 years ago. I decided that this year I was going to take my ADM Ar-10 with my recently mounted Vortex 1-10 LPVO. I had previously grouped Remington Match 168gr at 100 a few months ago and checked holds at 200 and 300 and called it a day. So I grab the box of 150gr and fired 3 rounds at 100, they were all over the place, 3 more rounds and I started to try and get dope to the center of the target, 3 more rounds and again all over the place. I than realized that the box I had grabbed was a box that was previously opened years ago with various other 308 deer rounds in it, so I had shot a few 150gr Norma's, some Remington180gr core-lok, as well as some of the Hornady I thought I was shooting the whole time.

Entryteam
11-22-21, 13:30
Been a glock armorer for about two decades, and I've had to fix what "joejoe the gunplumber" and his damned dremel screwed up many times.

Get good sights. Then... just buy mags and shoot it alot.

Do mess with what aint broke.

Disciple
11-22-21, 13:31
Rings very tight, base loose as fck but you couldnt tell by trying to move by hand.

How did you determine it was loose? The screws came out too easily?

okie
11-22-21, 13:31
I’ve had sights fly off many guns. Makes me laugh when I hear how fragile red dots are, but only irons are durable. This includes Glocks, Sigs, CZs, and 1911s. Haven’t lost an RMR, yet.

I had an aftermarket Glock trigger break and become useless at 20,000-25,000 rounds. The dingus thing broke and wouldn’t allow me to pull the trigger back far enough to fire.

I had a top tier AR trigger go down in the first 500 rounds. It wasn’t Geissele but one known to be “better”.

I had an AR get knocked off a bench and bend a BUIS to where it was unusable. The T1 on the rifle maintained its zero.

I’ve had chambers get gunked up by steel case poly coated ammo. It ran the steel but the brass would hang up when fired after it…extractors would rip the rim right off leaving the case in the chamber.

I’ve had primers blow on cheap mil-spec ammo and land in the trigger, requiring breaking the gun down.

I’ve had bolt lugs shear off completely during the later part of life cycle, also landing in the trigger putting the gun down until it could be broken down.

I’ve had barrels give up the ghost and suddenly start key holing.

I’ve had precision rifles randomly miss the target by feet at extended range, but it would still maintain accuracy at 100 yards.

I’ve had expensive match triggers in bolt-guns freeze up from minimal dust.

I’ve had AICS magazines needing feed lip tweaking from being dropped in a match. I’ve also seen dust take down pistol mags.

I’ve had bolt actions extraction angle change to where they would bump scope knobs and land emptied back in the action.

Yup, vet your stuff and stay on top of replacing it before service life is finished. It can make for a very bad day. Also, don’t **** with your guns unless you are going to have time to put in the rounds to ensure it functions. For carbines and pistols, you should change anything with an unknown unless you’re going to kill a thousand rounds or more through it before trusting your life to it.

That's a common problem with steel. As well as 22 conversions for the same reason. The chambers get dirty because they don't seal, allowing blow by. Problems occur when a round is left to cool inside a hot, dirty chamber. It's not that the problem doesn't exist with brass, it's just that brass cases seal the chamber walls better and the chambers stay cleaner longer.

In any case, liberal use of a chamber brush is going to prevent stuck cases pretty much 100% of the time. Although I do carry a pry bar and split case extractor in my range bag just in case. Cheap insurance.

okie
11-22-21, 13:35
I replace OEM Glock sights with steel sights and leave the rest of the pistol as it came from the factory. I haven't had any issues.

I saw a shooter sending rounds down range, then stop because the front sight came off of his brand new, fresh out of the box S&W Sigma. I had the same thing happen to me with a Taurus TCP380.

This is why you shake down your equipment before putting it into serious use.

The Glock is pretty well used. I think I'm going to get a micro red dot just for the sake of redundancy.

Mjolnir
11-22-21, 14:03
For the life of me I cannot understand why Glock chose to save CNC steps (and €£¥$...) to drill a hole as opposed to having dovetailed sights.

I replace the MIM extractor with an Apex (hardened, CNC part).

I also don’t like the Recoil Spring Assembly bur no one has yet made one that is steel and self-serviceable.

Geissele is good to go. I’d give him a call.

MegademiC
11-22-21, 14:13

Yeah. I used to beat a lot of people better than me in USPSA because their modded out guns chocked every stage. I went down that road once, switched to a factory glock and havent looked back haha.

RUTGERS95
11-22-21, 23:17
I only use colt or dd lpk and I only buy quality components for any home build however, I've put some together to simply destroy and not a single problem

When buying complete rifles, I only buy colt, lmt, or the troy other. you get what you pay for

sounds like you just got a lemon that got through qc so replace the part with quality and tally ho

SteyrAUG
11-23-21, 00:14
Yeah. I used to beat a lot of people better than me in USPSA because their modded out guns chocked every stage. I went down that road once, switched to a factory glock and havent looked back haha.

Yep, and if you need anything more advanced that is why they made the 34.

SteyrAUG
11-23-21, 00:21
For the life of me I cannot understand why Glock chose to save CNC steps (and €£¥$...) to drill a hole as opposed to having dovetailed sights.

I think it was a design decision to keep the 17 at $450 in 1985 and they simply wanted to keep parts compatibility with each generation. But I agree that the double dovetail should be pretty standardized across the board. Even if you buy a NS model Glock, it's still a weak link at the front sight because of the mounting design.

Given the square slide profile, it's even more bizarre. A front dovetail couldn't add much more than $50 to production costs and would greatly simplify everything across the board. The entire firearm otherwise is based upon simplicity of design, except the front sight which is the biggest weak link.

Averageman
11-23-21, 08:19
I think it took me five minutes to discover the sight sucked and would need replacement, which sucks because when I got in to Glocks I didn't know to come here and followed some rather bad advice and spent baout 150 bucks chasing a solution.

Fordtough25
11-23-21, 09:27

This exactly, keep practicing OP and change your stuff out!

cd228
11-23-21, 10:30
Yup, Murphy shows up and things break. Sometimes for no discernable reason. that's why you you learn remedial action, have spares, back up plans and abort (run away) criteria. It is particularly concerning that both your pistol and rifle went down in the same time frame. Is having a second rifle and pistol an option for you?

mr h
11-23-21, 13:44
been a long time since i've been around....but.....i had some geissele S3G triggers start to act like that after about 1000 rounds. i could swap disco springs and it would be ok for a bit but then start back up. ended up back with high end GI types.

The_War_Wagon
11-23-21, 16:30
Your guns are going to fail Exsqueeze me. I own nothing from PSAor poverty Pony, thank you verymuch.

okie
11-23-21, 23:57
Exsqueeze me. I own nothing from PSAor poverty Pony, thank you verymuch.

Neither do I. For me, it's Colt, Aimpoint, Glock, etc. Etc. being the trigger that shall remain nameless, but is nevertheless the epitome of AR triggers.

AndyLate
11-24-21, 06:39
Everything mechanical fails. Its not news. Preventative maintenance, checks and services...

Entryteam
11-24-21, 08:01
Everything mechanical fails. Its not news. Preventative maintenance, checks and services...

Also... guys.... you should ALL be buying parts. At least, springs. But complete parts kits will be valuable one day. Trust me.

That is why ALL of my working guns are glocks and ARs: Making the Logistics side easier on myself.

fedupflyer
11-24-21, 09:33

Well a race gun is just that a race gun. Meant to run on the edge.

No better time than to try out a build or an upgrade than at a competition.
You will find out quickly what works and what doesn't.

I crack up at guys like the OP. They want to tell folks what works or doesn't work at probably don't even shot a 1000 rnds per year.

The_War_Wagon
11-24-21, 10:58
Also... guys.... you should ALL be buying parts. At least, springs. But complete parts kits will be valuable one day. Trust me.

Who hasn't been doing that since the Obamanation was emaculated.

Entryteam
11-24-21, 11:21
Who hasn't been doing that since the Obamanation was emaculated.

You'd be very surprised.

mRad
11-24-21, 11:29
Here is a better one for you:

“Your body is going to fail”.

Adrenaline_6
11-24-21, 12:13
Like many have said before, once and if the shooting starts, having/needing parts and guns isn't going to be a problem. There will plenty of guns laying around with plenty of parts for the survivors. Ammo - now that is a different story.

mRad
11-24-21, 12:17
If you think you’re going to survive gunfight after gunfight in some post-apocalyptic world, to the point of needing parts for your guns, you’re living in fantasy land. But having parts to keep your guns running because you’re training with them is another story.

Adrenaline_6
11-24-21, 12:20
If you think you’re going to survive gunfight after gunfight in some post-apocalyptic world, to the point of needing parts for your guns, you’re living in fantasy land. But having parts to keep your guns running because you’re training with them is another story.

Truth. Rolling the dice is rolling the dice, no matter how much a "badass" you are putting the odds in your favor. The safest and most fool proof way is not rolling at all.

czgunner
11-24-21, 12:23
Here is a better one for you:

“Your body is going to fail”.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThis wins. You can't be alert 24/7. You can't fight 24/7.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

RUTGERS95
11-24-21, 19:17
Truth. Rolling the dice is rolling the dice, no matter how much a "badass" you are putting the odds in your favor. The safest and most fool proof way is not rolling at all.

end thread!

hotbiggun42
12-01-21, 22:05
Interesting, you replace the trigger on a stock colt and replace the front site on your Glock and both parts fail?

Lowdown3
12-03-21, 08:21

Good point.

It's nothing to see folks come to class with un lubricated ARs that look like they should still have a price tag dangling off of them. All kinds of unnecessary accessories, aftermarket this and that they have never tried, etc.

Some people poo poo the regular going to classes and training but this more than anything else is where the value comes in- when you actually run your guns regularly you will find out for sure what works and what doesn't.

Esq.
12-03-21, 11:27
Good point.

It's nothing to see folks come to class with un lubricated ARs that look like they should still have a price tag dangling off of them. All kinds of unnecessary accessories, aftermarket this and that they have never tried, etc.

Some people poo poo the regular going to classes and training but this more than anything else is where the value comes in- when you actually run your guns regularly you will find out for sure what works and what doesn't.

I've always said, CLASSES SAVE YOU MONEY!

You quickly figure out there is a lot of shit that --1. you don't need 2. it just adds weight and hurts reliability etc.....You can then take the money you were going to spend on whatever piece of crap you thought you needed to bolt onto your rifle and buy more ammo and training.

SteyrAUG
12-03-21, 15:21
I've always said, CLASSES SAVE YOU MONEY!

You quickly figure out there is a lot of shit that --1. you don't need 2. it just adds weight and hurts reliability etc.....You can then take the money you were going to spend on whatever piece of crap you thought you needed to bolt onto your rifle and buy more ammo and training.

It's always funny to me to see the benches of guys stripping off 8 lbs. of accessories after completing phase one of any given shooting class / course. Most of my rifles are sling, dot, light and done.

RUTGERS95
12-03-21, 15:34
It's always funny to me to see the benches of guys stripping off 8 lbs. of accessories after completing phase one of any given shooting class / course. Most of my rifles are sling, dot, light and done.

sling, lpvo, light, vfg here. nothing else is needed. The only extra weight is a spare bolt, pin, lube, battery, in my grip

Disciple
12-03-21, 16:20
The only extra wait is a spare bolt, pin, lube, battery, in my grip

Oh really? You should vote in my poll (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?230746-Do-you-keep-a-spare-bolt-on-your-primary).

RUTGERS95
12-03-21, 17:01
Oh really? You should vote in my poll (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?230746-Do-you-keep-a-spare-bolt-on-your-primary).

all my rifles have this, I keep them simple and efficient

RUTGERS95
12-03-21, 17:06

some of the comments are not only comedic but ironic "I never felt the need besides I always bring a spare bcg with me' or 'why, I can always reach in my bag for a spare' lol
voted

Diamondback
12-03-21, 17:17
With one exception I'm a big fan of KISS.

The one exception is my first AR which was build with every doodad imaginable, and I keep it that way as a practical lesson in "This is why we DON'T go Full Metal Gearqueer with all the Mall Ninja Tacticrap"... seriously, this damn thing would give Gecko45 a stiffy, at least until he had to spend a month humping it.

RUTGERS95
12-03-21, 17:57
With one exception I'm a big fan of KISS.

The one exception is my first AR which was build with every doodad imaginable, and I keep it that way as a practical lesson in "This is why we DON'T go Full Metal Gearqueer with all the Mall Ninja Tacticrap"... seriously, this damn thing would give Gecko45 a stiffy, at least until he had to spend a month humping it.

+1 this board needs a like button!

SteyrAUG
12-03-21, 18:01
sling, lpvo, light, vfg here. nothing else is needed. The only extra weight is a spare bolt, pin, lube, battery, in my grip

I'm assuming those extra weight items are on your person. Also is it a spare bolt or an entire bolt carrier group? Reason I ask is I rarely see a bolt fail but I've seen carrier keys go bad a handful of times.

RUTGERS95
12-03-21, 18:22
I'm assuming those extra weight items are on your person. Also is it a spare bolt or an entire bolt carrier group? Reason I ask is I rarely see a bolt fail but I've seen carrier keys go bad a handful of times.

just a spare bolt and firing pin, bcg would never fit in a grip:)
I've yet to have a key fail on me but have broken bolts and worn rings. High round count shooting schedule should see bolts go way before a gas key. I only use AO precision, Colt and FN bcgs. Not saying the key can't or won't go but it's unlikely if properly torqued, correct spec screw and staked as it should be. Those 3 have never let me down. worn rings and camp pin are more likely than the key in my experience.
Inside my grip the bolt, pin, lube, and battery all fit nicely in a ziploc sandwich baggy.

SteyrAUG
12-03-21, 21:54
just a spare bolt and firing pin, bcg would never fit in a grip:)
I've yet to have a key fail on me but have broken bolts and worn rings. High round count shooting schedule should see bolts go way before a gas key. I only use AO precision, Colt and FN bcgs. Not saying the key can't or won't go but it's unlikely if properly torqued, correct spec screw and staked as it should be. Those 3 have never let me down. worn rings and camp pin are more likely than the key in my experience.
Inside my grip the bolt, pin, lube, and battery all fit nicely in a ziploc sandwich baggy.

Most keys that failed probably were not staked correctly. Lots of half assed builds out there.

Ziplock bag sounds like a nice rescue kit. I have a "spare parts" pouch in one of those pockets on my vest. Mostly springs and some FCG parts, I think I have a bolt in there as well. In the past whenever I've done a workshop or class, I usually bring a back up rifle. So far never needed it.

Only thing I've ever had fail on me are magazines and that is because I used to run USGI's until they died. But even that didn't happen very often, I still have a dozen pmags still in the plastic as backups. Other than that all of the stoppages I've ever experienced were shooter induced, meaning I contributed to the problem like keeping ejection port too close to barricade or similar.

RUTGERS95
12-03-21, 23:51
Most keys that failed probably were not staked correctly. Lots of half assed builds out there.

Ziplock bag sounds like a nice rescue kit. I have a "spare parts" pouch in one of those pockets on my vest. Mostly springs and some FCG parts, I think I have a bolt in there as well. In the past whenever I've done a workshop or class, I usually bring a back up rifle. So far never needed it.

Only thing I've ever had fail on me are magazines and that is because I used to run USGI's until they died. But even that didn't happen very often, I still have a dozen pmags still in the plastic as backups. Other than that all of the stoppages I've ever experienced were shooter induced, meaning I contributed to the problem like keeping ejection port too close to barricade or similar.

buttstock mag pouches are great to keep stuff on hand always and those Israeli slings have pockets as well.

SteyrAUG
12-04-21, 04:10
buttstock mag pouches are great to keep stuff on hand always and those Israeli slings have pockets as well.

I have one of those old BH Urban Assault Vests and honestly once I fill the mag pouches, I have 4 or 5 more pockets doing nothing. And I'd rather carry the weight on my person than the rifle.

The_War_Wagon
12-04-21, 09:21
my body failed before my firearms did, which will probably be true for most of us.

okie
12-05-21, 16:59

No laser aimer or silencer??? And to think you call yourself a gun enthusiast!

SteyrAUG
12-05-21, 19:24
No laser aimer or silencer??? And to think you call yourself a gun enthusiast!

I try not to crutch on lasers, I have a ton of suppressors. Indoors yes, outdoors maybe not. When you run and gun for a couple hours shit gets heavy.

Been a few times I started with a HALO on my rifle but after phase one the suppressor ended up on my vest.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-05-21, 19:39
This is why I can’t get behind pistol red dots and rifles without BUIS. IMHO, Red dots are still far too fiddly to be mounted on a non-gamer pistols (reciprocating slides, battery issues, moisture issues, screws, glue, etc).

SteyrAUG
12-06-21, 13:39
This is why I can’t get behind pistol red dots and rifles without BUIS. IMHO, Red dots are still far too fiddly to be mounted on a non-gamer pistols (reciprocating slides, battery issues, moisture issues, screws, glue, etc).

really like my Eos, but I don't think I could run a rifle without BUIS.

HKGuns
12-06-21, 13:48
At close range, where most self defense situations occur, I think you'd be surprised how well you can actually do without any sights at all on both pistol and rifle.

Averageman
12-06-21, 17:57
At close range, where most self defense situations occur, I think you'd be surprised how well you can actually do without any sights at all on both pistol and rifle.

My Grandfather was a Sherrif in Western New Mexico, he had a peach basket full of old SA revolvers, he taught me how to do that.
The only thing I can equate it to is throwing a baseball. The more you practise the better you'll get and it's not much of a learning curve.
Eventually I was knocking tin cans off of the fence a little over 50% of the time from like 15 feet.

mRad
12-06-21, 18:09
I once made a 300 yard shot in a milk jug with a bolt-action .243 without sights or optics. It still had the scope tap plugs. I lined them up where they were level and covering the top of the jug. First round hit! Only reason I tried was my friend had a single-shot rifle and had tried the round in his gun three times but it wouldn’t ignite the round, he asked me to shoot it in my rifle so he could have the brass.

Esq.
12-07-21, 15:23

I once scored a perfect 250 on the Texas CHL course of fire (not hard) when on the 3rd round of the test the front sight of my 1911 departed for greener pastures. I simply lined up the rear of the slide on the target etc...and worked the trigger. It was easy actually until I got to 15 yards- that required serious concentration but thankfully you only shoot 10 rounds at that distance.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-07-21, 17:29
really like my Eos, but I don't think I could run a rifle without BUIS.

It's crazy. They don't even add that much to the gun.

I am a huge red-dot fan on rifles, because most of them (Aimpoint, etc) have been tested to death and run for 5 years or more on one battery. On pistols though, it seems like there is always something fiddly going on with red dots (although they are a joy at 30 plus yards)

SteyrAUG
12-07-21, 18:19
It's crazy. They don't even add that much to the gun.

I am a huge red-dot fan on rifles, because most of them (Aimpoint, etc) have been tested to death and run for 5 years or more on one battery. On pistols though, it seems like there is always something fiddly going on with red dots (although they are a joy at 30 plus yards)

I think red dots on handguns are still in the developmental stage and we haven't yet reached a final configuration. I can understand why stage runners like them but I don't know if they are the new/next for carry guns yet.

Averageman
12-07-21, 20:13
I zero my irons, then apply the red dot to the top of the front sight post then refine from there, it's alway worked for me.

T2C
12-07-21, 20:58
Equipment breaks, humans break.

Be prepared to work through it.

12-11-21, 08:45
Even the mighty Glock 17 can fail.

I bought a new Gen5 17 the other day and it would not fully reset. Super dangerous situation as it would reset enough to cock the striker but not enough to set the trigger safety. It was in a condition of being able to be fired, but not drop safe.

I had a extra set of receiver parts that I swapped in and it’s fine now.