PDA

View Full Version : 10.3 Inch Ballistic Advantage Hanson Barrel

a1madrid
11-22-21, 16:40
I have a 10.3 inch Ballistic Advantage Hanson profile barrel in one of my builds and I have been very impressed with it. I was just wondering how well these barrels’ accuracy holds up with heating up after higher round counts. I get the concept of saving the weight up front and keeping it in the rear for the harmonics, but I was just wondering how well they perform under higher round count scenarios. I am specifically wondering about the 10.3 inch Hanson barrel. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disciple
11-22-21, 16:57
Aren't you in the position to test this yourself? Do a mag dump and check accuracy?

a1madrid
11-22-21, 17:06
Aren't you in the position to test this yourself? Do a mag dump and check accuracy?

I was asking for anyone else’s experiences too.

Mysteryman
11-22-21, 20:17
I have a 10.3 inch Ballistic Advantage Hanson profile barrel in one of my builds and I have been very impressed with it. I was just wondering how well these barrels’ accuracy holds up with heating up after higher round counts. I get the concept of saving the weight up front and keeping it in the rear for the harmonics, but I was just wondering how well they perform under higher round count scenarios. I am specifically wondering about the 10.3 inch Hanson barrel. Thank you.

This depends entirely on what you expect from the rifle. It also hinges on a couple of other factors. What optic, what ammo, what range/purpose do you have in mind, what is your skill set. Concerning yourself with possible accuracy degradation from a 10.3" barrel without first addressing the other factors is pointless.

prepare
11-22-21, 20:42
How many rounds of continuous fire would it take to get a barrel so hot it won't shoot minute of man?

a1madrid
11-22-21, 20:45
How many rounds of continuous fire would it take to get a barrel so hot it won't shoot minute of man?

I guess this is kinda my question. I could go out and dump mag after mag and see what it does at 100 yards (practical 10.3 range) but I was wondering if anyone had done any testing such as this or had any previous data from thoroughly reviewing this barrel profile. I maybe have a few hundred rounds through it and I wasn’t running it that hard. I’m just curious honestly.

a1madrid
11-22-21, 20:46
This depends entirely on what you expect from the rifle. It also hinges on a couple of other factors. What optic, what ammo, what range/purpose do you have in mind, what is your skill set. Concerning yourself with possible accuracy degradation from a 10.3" barrel without first addressing the other factors is pointless.

I’m talking about working the terminally effective range of a 10.3 barrel. I could go out and dump mag after mag and burn through what is pretty much worth gold at this point but I was wondering if anyone had any previous data on this barrel profile from their personal experiences.

a1madrid
11-22-21, 20:47

I’m talking about within the terminally effective range of a 10.3 barrel. I could go out and dump mag after mag and burn through what is pretty much worth gold at this point but I was wondering if anyone had any previous data on this barrel profile from their personal experiences.

opngrnd
11-22-21, 20:52
Depending on how hot you get it, you may see the groups shift or open up. But short of destroying the barrel through purposeful abuse, I doubt you end up being unable to hit center mass at 100 yards.

a1madrid
11-22-21, 20:54
Depending on how hot you get it, you may see the groups shift or open up. But short of destroying the barrel through purposeful abuse, I doubt you end up being unable to hit center mass at 100 yards.

That’s what I figured. Even though it’s thinner out front than a government profile barrel, one shouldn’t expect it to perform like a pencil barrel under heat?

opngrnd
11-22-21, 21:05
The gov profile doesn't enhance the rigidity in a meaningful way. I'd expect it to offer no advantage over the Hanson profile.

a1madrid
11-22-21, 21:20
The gov profile doesn't enhance the rigidity in a meaningful way. I'd expect it to offer no advantage over the Hanson profile.

How so? It’s thicker up front which doesn’t help the harmonics at all but I’m talking heat dissipation and accuracy down range when mag dumps start to become a necessity.

opngrnd
11-22-21, 21:36
How so? It’s thicker up front which doesn’t help the harmonics at all but I’m talking heat dissipation and accuracy down range when mag dumps start to become a necessity.

The forward portion of the barrel is not where the barrel fails under stress. You can google M4 barrels being fired on full auto to failure It was thickened in the infamous gov profile in an effort to stop barrels from "bending when being pried with" and failing bore gauge tests, not due to it's increased performance in that profile. Turned out the barrel gauge failures were from burrs at the gas port, not because troops were bending the barrels. The change had already been put into production by the time they discovered their mistake, and the rest is history.

a1madrid
11-22-21, 21:43
The forward portion of the barrel is not where the barrel fails under stress. You can google M4 barrels being fired on full auto to failure It was thickened in the infamous gov profile in an effort to stop barrels from "bending when being pried with" and failing bore gauge tests, not due to it's increased performance in that profile. Turned out the barrel gauge failures were from burrs at the gas port, not because troops were bending the barrels. The change had already been put into production by the time they discovered their mistake, and the rest is history.

So they mass produced something that should have been engineered more effectively from the get go. Crazy.

Mysteryman
11-23-21, 18:22
So they mass produced something that should have been engineered more effectively from the get go. Crazy.

The fat muzzle end on gov profile barrels was the result of poor analysis of worn rifles during Vietnam. The belief was that the barrels were getting hot enough to droop, this caused their bore gauge (rod) to encounter resistance not far from the muzzle (when inserted from the muzzle). The real issue was a burr on the eroded gas port. Chunky barrels further from the chamber are not the answer.

AndyLate
11-24-21, 06:27

If mag dumps become a necessity, accuracy loss is the least of your worries.

The A2/M4 profile has been replaced by the M4A1 (SOCOM) profile after experience with the very scenario you are concerned about.

Andy

MistWolf
11-25-21, 00:35
If mag dumps become a necessity, accuracy loss is the least of your worries.

The A2 profile is stupid and the M4 profile just doubled down on the idiocy.

Andy

It isn't ideal, but I wouldn't call it stupid.

AndyLate
11-25-21, 06:13
It isn't ideal, but I wouldn't call it stupid.

Fair enough, I edited my post.

Andy

MistWolf
11-25-21, 07:47
Fair enough, I edited my post.

Andy

Just for me? You shouldn’t have!:) In the past, I too may have been guilty of calling the government profile stupid. Stupid or not, we have to admit, it does work.

The 14.5 SOCOM is my favorite AR carbine barrel. It’s only 2 ounces or so heavier than the Colt 16 inch barrel and its profile puts its mass right where it does the most good.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving, Andy!

DG23
11-25-21, 09:32
I guess this is kinda my question. I could go out and dump mag after mag and see what it does at 100 yards (practical 10.3 range) but I was wondering if anyone had done any testing such as this or had any previous data from thoroughly reviewing this barrel profile. I maybe have a few hundred rounds through it and I wasn’t running it that hard. I’m just curious honestly.

I bet one mag fired briskly would let you know what you want to know.

No experience with YOUR exact barrel but generally my heavy barrels string a lot less than the lighter ones. The heavy cryo treated barrels I have do not string at all. A mag dump or two does not do jack to the POI...

AndyLate
11-28-21, 14:43
Question - does your Hanson barrel have a .750 or .625 gas block seat? If it is a .750, it is basically as stiff as an A2/M4 at the muzzle and a good bit stiffer between the chamber and gas block.

Andy

AndyLate
11-28-21, 22:19
My phone is trippin'

Andy

a1madrid
11-28-21, 22:27
My phone is trippin'

Andy

The 10.3 Hanson does have a .750 gas block seat and actually looking at pictures of a 10.3 Hanson compared to a 10.3 Government profile I see exactly what you mean with the space between the chamber and the gas block. I’m happy with my purchase [emoji1417]