PDA

View Full Version : School of the American Rifle

HKGuns
11-24-21, 12:00
I may have been living under a rock, but I recently stumbled upon this individuals channel and find it fascinating.

Hopefully others will find something of value in these as well.

No, I don’t know the guy and am not affiliated in any way. Just sharing some technical content others may appreciate.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCaUOYvlDrZh5LWILrVDUM4w

He gets pretty heavy into tolerance stacking and figuring out exactly why something fails, or won't run.

Good stuff as far as I am concerned.

czgunner
11-24-21, 12:24
Yep. Been following him for a while. Great channel. I really want a set of those cool guy gauges he has.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Circle_10
11-24-21, 12:29
Chad is also a member here and posts now and again.

TomMcC
11-24-21, 12:37
Was actually just now watching him do physicals on 5 KAC bolt carriers and a LMT enhanced bolt. Would love to get my hands on all those cool gages and check my stuff.

Learned a lot about not all AR parts being the same.

HKGuns
11-24-21, 13:37

I wondered about that........Do you know under what name he posts?

Yeah, since I started watching I've been going through my bolts doing what I can without his tools thinking how fabulous it would be to have them on my bench.

titsonritz
11-24-21, 13:49

If he hasn't been run off.

DG23
11-24-21, 20:07
He gets pretty heavy into tolerance stacking and figuring out exactly why something fails, or won't run.

I can't make it through a single video without thinking he is an idiot at one point or another.

https://i.imgur.com/h9Wz0rT.jpg

He called that shit 'ready to install and run'...

In one of his other videos he spent more time measuring FP protrusion and talking about how 'out of spec' it was than it would have taken to just fix / correct the damn pin and move on. If he really wanted to help people he would have explained what range of protrusion to look for and then showed how to get there in less time than he spent whining about the one particular pin being ever so slightly 'off'.

Wake27
11-24-21, 20:32
I can't make it through a single video without thinking he is an idiot at one point or another.

In one of his other videos he spent more time measuring FP protrusion and talking about how 'out of spec' it was than it would have taken to just fix / correct the damn pin and move on. If he really wanted to help people he would have explained what range of protrusion to look for and then showed how to get there in less time than he spent whining about the one particular pin being ever so slightly 'off'.

Big talk for someone that has provided what value to this community?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Circle_10
11-24-21, 20:35

I do remember him explaining the acceptable level of protrusion in a video from a while back. I don’t remember what it was off the top of my head however.

ggammell
11-24-21, 21:12

On various forums, I have seen several people run out buy some random gauge set and disassemble their working rifle to measure some inane thing and and learn that it’s “out of spec” and panic. Turned me off from the guy. That and how he jumped to internet stardom thanks to Primary & Secondary.

kwelz
11-24-21, 22:49
I like his channel. It is educational for deeper level things than most shooters care about.

I am waiting to see part 2 of the bent bolt carrier.

Hulkstr8
11-24-21, 23:04
Chad is very knowledgeable and great dude to your face -that is when he isn't starting drama.

VLODPG
11-24-21, 23:09
Chad is very knowledgeable and great dude to your face -that is when he isn't starting drama.

Drama really?

This place is becoming more like ARFCOM every day!

TomMcC
11-24-21, 23:40
Maybe some of us just think his videos are educational. Man, this thread got weird.

HKGuns
11-25-21, 03:18
Drama really?

This place is becoming more like ARFCOM every day!

Yeah, and I don't want that crap in a thread I started. if you don't have anything constructive to add don't post. Personal attacks aren't wanted either.

prepare
11-25-21, 03:40
His Armorer classes are excellent!

mark5pt56
11-25-21, 05:39
Simply amazing. Try to keep it clean and be adults.

Black_Sheep
11-25-21, 07:47
I enjoy Chad’s videos, they have helped me understand how the AR platform works and they’ve also shown that even “tier 1” manufacturers can produce out of spec parts. They are both entertaining and enlightening…

T2C
11-25-21, 08:15
I haven't seen his videos before. I watched the lubricant video. He is direct, to the point and instructed in a clear speaking voice.

If you are teaching gunsmithing, a student needs to hear both how and why. If you don't have the time or only want to know how, choose another source of information.

prepare
11-25-21, 08:27
It’s impossible to have a following without the negativity. Just goes with the territory. Those that last simply focus on their work and ignore it.

DG23
11-25-21, 09:07
I do remember him explaining the acceptable level of protrusion in a video from a while back. I don’t remember what it was off the top of my head however.

I would imagine a lot of guys here have feeler gauges around and have gapped a spark plug or two in their lifetime.

You can show a guy your multi hundred dollar tool for measuring FP protrusion from the front of the bolt or...

Explain to him how he likely already has all the stuff he needs to measure the same thing from the back.

https://i.imgur.com/cBOoyAZ.jpg

That is the gap you measure while holding something flat against the face of the bolt and pushing the FP forward until it stops against it.

Not hard to do and does not require a $500.00 specialty tool to measure.

T2C
11-25-21, 09:19
I would imagine a lot of guys here have feeler gauges around and have gapped a spark plug or two in their lifetime.

You can show a guy your multi hundred dollar tool for measuring FP protrusion from the front of the bolt or...

Explain to him how he likely already has all the stuff he needs to measure the same thing from the back.

That is the gap you measure while holding something flat against the face of the bolt and pushing the FP forward until it stops against it.

That's a good way to check firing pin protrusion on an AR if you don't have a depth micrometer or a firing pin protrusion gauge.

If you don't work on other firearms, M1 Garands, 1911's, etc., a set of feeler gauges is all a person needs.

HKGuns
11-25-21, 09:30

This is great, assume the 28 - 36 numbers are the same from the back?

He does show you how to use 2 quarters for BCG clearance in the tube. Do you have any solution other than tossing a quarter into the tube?

I like that he is using Ned's carrier key screw and point out those companies using those great screws. (Sionics)

DG23
11-25-21, 10:24
numbers are the same from the back?

When the FP collar / shoulder contacts the bolt tail that is all the protrusion you will get out the front. The FP can't go forward any more once it stops there unless...

You spend a few seconds taking some material off the face of that FP collar so it WILL give you more protrusion.

Again, I bet you have all the tools you 'need' to adjust this sort of thing yourself laying around in your shop.

https://i.imgur.com/Gw0DfZY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3d51hoe.jpg

Takes less time to correct than it does to bitch about it.

If a guy really wanted to help YOU and not his own wallet why would he not explain all that???

HKGuns
11-25-21, 10:35
When the FP collar / shoulder contacts the bolt tail that is all the protrusion you will get out the front. The FP can't go forward any more once it stops there unless...

You spend a few seconds taking some material off the face of that FP collar so it WILL give you more protrusion.

Again, I bet you have all the tools you 'need' to adjust this sort of thing yourself laying around in your shop.

https://i.imgur.com/Gw0DfZY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3d51hoe.jpg

Takes less time to correct than it does to bitch about it.

If a guy really wanted to help YOU and not his own wallet why would he not explain all that???

He might tell you that in one of his classes, or he might say spend $12 on a new firing pin. He is promoting his classes and I don't begrudge him making money to feed his family.

He certainly isn't making any money being a gun oriented channel on youtube.

the AR-15 Junkie
11-25-21, 10:37
https://i.imgur.com/oMuG3cJ.jpg

DG23
11-25-21, 10:42
https://i.imgur.com/oMuG3cJ.jpg

Screams 'Please buy me cause you need this stuff'...

Or not.

11-25-21, 10:46
Brownells sells an inexpensive firing pin protrusion gauge. I’m a little surprised at all the bitching about him describing why a particular dimension is important. Its literally a video about dimensions, not repair. You didn’t pay for his youtube video, so just turn it off if you don’t want to learn about that, and make your own contributions to the community. Oh, wait, how many of us are qualified to contribute anything?

DG23
11-25-21, 11:00
and make your own contributions to the community. Oh, wait, how many of us are qualified to contribute anything?

Are you saying / suggesting a guy has to be 'qualified' to post here?

HKGuns
11-25-21, 11:10
Screams 'Please buy me cause you need this stuff'...

Or not.

I don't see him selling these anywhere, maybe I missed them.

Even I, not a gunsmith, realize these are all basically pin gauges on a fancy board. The dimensions are clearly labeled in your picture, so it isn't like it is hard to duplicate or he is hiding information on purpose.

If you watch his videos, he tells you the dimensions as he's presenting the information. He isn't always consistent about what he says, but for pity sake. He's doing these without a lot of editing and his wife is holding the flipping camera.

Did he mess up one of your guns or are you just living in bonerville? Hard to imagine someone caring so much about something like this............

HKGuns
11-25-21, 11:13
Brownells sells an inexpensive firing pin protrusion gauge. I’m a little surprised at all the bitching about him describing why a particular dimension is important. Its literally a video about dimensions, not repair. You didn’t pay for his youtube video, so just turn it off if you don’t want to learn about that, and make your own contributions to the community. Oh, wait, how many of us are qualified to contribute anything?

Exactly.

the AR-15 Junkie
11-25-21, 11:20
https://i.imgur.com/Rq2Jfwu.jpg

the AR-15 Junkie
11-25-21, 11:21
https://i.imgur.com/uUQPmvK.jpg

11-25-21, 11:26
Are you saying / suggesting a guy has to be 'qualified' to post here?

No, but you would have to be qualified to make a useful contribution here, or elsewhere. Some qualifications are easy and informal. Like “hey guys, I shot this drill back to back with a LPVO and a red dot after practicing with both for a year, and here’s my observations” , or “I tested 4 different zeroing strategies at different ranges”. In those cases, the qualification is simply that you shoot. Or “I’ve been trying out these different powders, and this is what I found”. The qualification to say “this bolt carrier is dimensionally correct, and this one isn’t” and make a detail-oriented youtube video about it, and run a gunsmithing course, is different, and one I don’t personally have.

Obviously anybody is welcome to post about anything, but there is a reason that “AR Technical Discusssion” and “Training and Tactics” are slower, lower traffic, and have lower post counts than “AR General Discussion” and “General Discussion”. Its because only a small percentage here are qualified to actually teach about those things, but most of us are qualified to answer “should I buy a DD or a Anderson”.

Edit: I’m not saying I agree with everything dude says, or saying that your posts aren’t useful.

Edit 2: Just re-read, and man, this comes off way different than intended. I’m going to leave it up, but know that my meaning is lost in my poor text-communication skills. My apologies to anyone I ‘ve offended.

VLODPG
11-25-21, 11:41
Yeah, and I don't want that crap in a thread I started. if you don't have anything constructive to add don't post. Personal attacks aren't wanted either.

I think you may have me mistaken with this guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post

Or this guy!

Feedback Score
1 (100%)
Its truly amazing the influence he has over the average gun owner by making videos of himself sticking pin gauges into dozens of BCGs lol.

Im totally convinced all of his 7500 facebook followers could be "straight" men, and he could ask all 7500 of them to give him a BJ and 7497 of them would actually do it, with at least a 100 or more fighting to be the first in line. Its amazing really.

He thinks the AR-15 is like the Catholic Church and he is its Pope and you must follow him like Christ. He has to be on EVERY forum, has to be introduced when he joins like Jesus riding into the temple on his donkey so everyone can tell him how much they love him.

Im impressed really.

HKGuns
11-25-21, 11:46
I think you may have me mistaken with this guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post

Or this guy!

Feedback Score
1 (100%)
Its truly amazing the influence he has over the average gun owner by making videos of himself sticking pin gauges into dozens of BCGs lol.

Im totally convinced all of his 7500 facebook followers could be "straight" men, and he could ask all 7500 of them to give him a BJ and 7497 of them would actually do it, with at least a 100 or more fighting to be the first in line. Its amazing really.

He thinks the AR-15 is like the Catholic Church and he is its Pope and you must follow him like Christ. He has to be on EVERY forum, has to be introduced when he joins like Jesus riding into the temple on his donkey so everyone can tell him how much they love him.

Im impressed really.

No, I was not directing that at you, I was agreeing with you. Sorry for the confusion.

SOTAR
11-25-21, 15:25
If anyone has questions I'll do my best to answer.

HKGuns
11-25-21, 16:40

Ha! Love your latest video, been reading the Kyle threads all over the forums I see. That a lot-o-lube!

:)

SOTAR
11-25-21, 16:42
Ha! Love your latest video, been reading the Kyle threads all over the forums I see. That a lot-o-lube!

:)

Thank you.

The latest video was just some holiday fun.

rushca01
11-25-21, 16:56
Thank you.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on 9MM AR’s. I would like to build one to mimic my 5.56 AR’s and most likely would go with a Colt but just curious what you think.

SOTAR
11-25-21, 17:01
I would be interested to hear your thoughts on 9MM AR’s. I would like to build one to mimic my 5.56 AR’s and most likely would go with a Colt but just curious what you think.

I have one and in my opinion they are fun.

They tend to run better with shorter barrels, and buffers that are 10 ounces. The tubb .308 flatware springs are great for a 9mm blowback, but are not marketed for them.

I prefer Colt style mags for a 9mm AR. Glock mags were not designed for blowback weapons like the 9mm AR and can have issues on some setups.

Straight Shooter
11-25-21, 17:09

Your opinion please:
Why does LMT run a semi-auto bcg in their Defender rifles? WHY is there even such a thing as a semi auto bcg?
What, if any, are the advantages of one?

SOTAR
11-25-21, 17:12
Your opinion please:
Why does LMT run a semi-auto bcg in their Defender rifles? WHY is the even such a thing as a semi auto bcg?

You would have to ask LMT that. I can't answer for them.

Semi carrier were the standard for many years in semi auto guns. It changed in the early 2000's if I remember it correctly, and companies started using M16 carriers.

In my opinion semi auto carriers are not going to get you killed but the M16 type are what most people want.

Jsp10477
11-25-21, 17:57
Your opinion please:
Why does LMT run a semi-auto bcg in their Defender rifles? WHY is there even such a thing as a semi auto bcg?

Joe addressed this in one of the Q&A videos. From what I gather, it’s so they can say that they don’t sell rifles with machine gun parts.

Straight Shooter
11-25-21, 18:31

You would have to ask LMT that. I can't answer for them.

Semi carrier were the standard for many years in semi auto guns. It changed in the early 2000's if I remember it correctly, and companies started using M16 carriers.

In my opinion semi auto carriers are not going to get you killed but the M16 type are what most people want.

Joe addressed this in one of the Q&A videos. From what I gather, it’s so they can say that they don’t sell rifles with machine gun parts.

Thank you both very much!

HKGuns
11-25-21, 18:53

I have a question.

Your videos inspired me to go through all my built lowers with the 2 Quarter test.

-All but two failed.-

I try to use quality components in everything I build.

- Colt, DD or Sionics LPK’s
- VLTOR A5 RE - Buffer - Springs in everything
- Forged lowers from mostly know solid MFG. (Most forgings are Cerro)

All were installed properly with no space for another turn, yet I was chucking quarters into most of them.

Is this something peculiar to the 7 position RE from VLTOR?

SOTAR
11-25-21, 19:47
I have a question.

Your videos inspired me to go through all my built lowers with the 2 Quarter test.

-All but two failed.-

I try to use quality components in everything I build.

- Colt, DD or Sionics LPK’s
- VLTOR A5 RE - Buffer - Springs in everything
- Forged lowers from mostly know solid MFG. (Most forgings are Cerro)

All were installed properly with no space for another turn, yet I was chucking quarters into most of them.

Is this something peculiar to the 7 position RE from VLTOR?

I wouldn't question the quality of your items. I just chalk this up to all parts not playing nice.

If you are just shy of the 2 quarter gap and don't shoot suppressed, or the gun isn't running too fast (overgassed), then you should be fine. If you shoot suppressed or the gun is running too fast then the gap is more important to maintain.

Some people think the gap isn't important and shrug off the check. That's fine by me. Not my gun, not my problem.

HKGuns
11-25-21, 19:59
I wouldn't question the quality of your items. I just chalk this up to all parts not playing nice.

If you are just shy of the 2 quarter gap and don't shoot suppressed, or the gun isn't running too fast (overgassed), then you should be fine. If you shoot suppressed or the gun is running too fast then the gap is more important to maintain.

Some people think the gap isn't important and shrug off the check. That's fine by me. Not my gun, not my problem.

Thanks for responding. You do a great job of explaining all your checks and I’m not one to play a know it all. They all make a lot of sense to me.

I really enjoy learning new stuff.

I don’t shoot suppressed much at all and it was very close. If I didn’t bear down that last little bit they’d slide right in.

SOTAR
11-25-21, 20:44
Thanks for responding. You do a great job of explaining all your checks and I’m not one to play a know it all. They all make a lot of sense to me.

I really enjoy learning new stuff.

I don’t shoot suppressed much at all and it was very close. If I didn’t bear down that last little bit they’d slide right in.

Thank you very much. Your setup sounds fine without making any changes.

William B.
11-25-21, 20:53
Thank you.

I saw that too. I was wondering if it was related to the recent FA thread on here 🤔 Great channel!

rushca01
11-26-21, 08:40
I saw that too. I was wondering if it was related to the recent FA thread on here �� Great channel!

I think it was done in response to Kyle Ritenhouse.

pag23
11-26-21, 09:50
I have one and in my opinion they are fun.

They tend to run better with shorter barrels, and buffers that are 10 ounces. The tubb .308 flatware springs are great for a 9mm blowback, but are not marketed for them.

I prefer Colt style mags for a 9mm AR. Glock mags were not designed for blowback weapons like the 9mm AR and can have issues on some setups.

Thanks for the info....your contributions are helpful

Straight Shooter
11-26-21, 10:19
One last question: Your opinion on cryogenic treatments of barrels and other parts...good, bad, or what?

TomMcC
11-26-21, 10:50
What is the 2 quarter test?

Black_Sheep
11-26-21, 11:10
What is the 2 quarter test?

It's a means of checking BCG travel by inserting the carrier into the RE until the buffer bottoms out. There should be 2 quarters distance between the gas key and RE.

TomMcC
11-26-21, 11:20
It's a means of checking BCG travel by inserting the carrier into the RE until the buffer bottoms out. There should be 2 quarters distance between the gas key and RE.

thanks

turnburglar
11-26-21, 13:21

If an individual already owns several AR's that have over 1k rounds under each of them, is there any reason to verify that parts are "in spec"? To me it seems if a gun runs well enough for 1k rounds it's "in spec".... does that make sense?

For reference Im not talking about foregoing BMW-CLS, what I'm talking about is how you measure BCG's and check barrels on your own channel. That seems good to do for an unfired gun, or one with an incredibly high round count; I just dont understand why do it on a serviceable gun that has already been proven?

Disciple
11-26-21, 13:56
If an individual already owns several AR's that have over 1k rounds under each of them, is there any reason to verify that parts are "in spec"? To me it seems if a gun runs well enough for 1k rounds it's "in spec".... does that make sense?

Were those thousand rounds expended under ideal conditions or in the rain, mud, dust, snow, etc., from unconventional positions? Because it is surely possible for a tuned gun to run in the former but choke in the latter.

SOTAR
11-26-21, 14:34

For reference Im not talking about foregoing BMW-CLS, what I'm talking about is how you measure BCG's and check barrels on your own channel. That seems good to do for an unfired gun, or one with an incredibly high round count; I just dont understand why do it on a serviceable gun that has already been proven?

My videos are not a mandate on what you or anyone else should or must do with their AR.

Most people assume my gauging processes are just looking for TDP measurements, but it's not. Some of my processes are looking for a particular amount of wear or for something that is about to fail. I'm trying to ensure the commercial AR that I am servicing is as reliable and accurate/consistent as possible with the variables that the commercial market throws at it.

A TDP built AR without any modifications, that uses the right mags, lubricant, and Nato pressure ammo is a well evolved machine. Most commercial AR's, commercial ammo, and magazines are not the same animal as the ones the US Government adopts.

My question to you about your AR's would be are the 1k rounds you fired all the same brand or various brands? If it's one particular brand are you certain it will run with other ammo? How hot and dirty have you run them? The work I do is to try and find things that may make a weapon sensitive to some ammunition, lubricants, magazines, fouling, or heat. That's not important to everyone and that's ok.

People assume that my gauging is me nitpicking without any live testing. It's the reverse. My processes were ways to
identify why certain guns didn't run right when they were fired.

I have numerous examples of parts that failed in short order because the weapon had parts that would have failed gauging. Some barrels or bolts that were shot out in just a few hundred or a few thousand rounds. Had the builders checked things it would have prevented premature failure of the components.

Ill offer an example. A throat erosion gauge. Many people see them as a waste. If you own one, and you gauge a new build and it reads 2, then you fire 1k rounds and it reads 4, that's a problem. A throat should not erode that fast. You can look for a problem to try and head off the barrel being trashed.

Some people don't care. It's their gun so it's no skin off my back.

I'm just sharing parts of my processes with the world. Some get angry because I don't give all my work away. I think I am very generous with what I share compared to other people who work on guns for a living. Some people see my work as a way to trash manufacturers. Couldn't be further from the truth. I do my very best to treat the products in my videos how I would hope to be treated if I made the product. Personally I would prefer to hide the manufacturer from the content so people don't get mad about their pet brand being on my bench.

Nothing is perfect, and neither am I.

SOTAR
11-26-21, 14:36
One last question: Your opinion on cryogenic treatments of barrels and other parts...good, bad, or what?

I have not chased this enough to offer any valued input.

My apologies.

SOTAR
11-26-21, 14:38
I think it was done in response to Kyle Ritenhouse.

Correct. I didn't know this topic was going when I made the joke forward assist video.

Regardless of how I am treated on M4C, I wouldn't make a video about it. I would just leave and move on if I felt the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

Straight Shooter
11-26-21, 14:41
I have not chased this enough to offer any valued input.

My apologies.

None needed, thank you for the response sir.

rushca01
11-26-21, 15:00
Correct. I didn't know this topic was going when I made the joke forward assist video.

Regardless of how I am treated on M4C, I wouldn't make a video about it. I would just leave and move on if I felt the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

I appreciate you being here and that you openly respond. I also like how, in general, you don’t favor one brand over the other or at least I’ve never read/watched where you have publicly stated what your preferred brand is. You just state the facts. I may have mentioned it earlier but I checked ALL my lowers with the 2 quarter test after watching one of your videos.

Let’s be honest, this forum isn’t what it used to be…a lot of people have either lost interest or been run off. I appreciate it when technical experts offer their wisdom. It would be nice if you could a an “SME” under your name.

11-26-21, 15:30
It would be nice if you could a an “SME” under your name. have to PM username “STAFF”. Fwiw, they didn't bother to reply to my request. Maybe they would treat gunsmithing expertise different from user expertise.

Disciple
11-26-21, 15:31
I appreciate it when technical experts offer their wisdom. It would be nice if you could a an “SME” under your name.

That's not what it means here.

"SME" here means something very specific with regard to professional military background with a vetting process.

SOTAR
11-26-21, 15:34
I appreciate you being here and that you openly respond. I also like how, in general, you don’t favor one brand over the other or at least I’ve never read/watched where you have publicly stated what your preferred brand is. You just state the facts. I may have mentioned it earlier but I checked ALL my lowers with the 2 quarter test after watching one of your videos.

Let’s be honest, this forum isn’t what it used to be…a lot of people have either lost interest or been run off. I appreciate it when technical experts offer their wisdom. It would be nice if you could a an “SME” under your name.

Thank you.

The owner of the site did tell me I was welcome here, but I don't expect him to do anything special for me.

opngrnd
11-26-21, 16:17
Where might I find the videos demonstrating the quarter test?

Disciple
11-26-21, 16:34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7kte3ZCILs

opngrnd
11-26-21, 16:47
Thank you.

The owner of the site did tell me I was welcome here, but I don't expect him to do anything special for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7kte3ZCILs

Thank you to both of you.

rushca01
11-26-21, 16:49
That's not what it means here.

Ok, thanks for the correction. Perhaps “industry professional”.

I can also count on my hand how many SME’s are left on this forum…

WillieThom
11-26-21, 22:14
If he hasn't been run off.

For example:

JoeBobJoe
11-27-21, 13:37
On various forums, I have seen several people run out buy some random gauge set and disassemble their working rifle to measure some inane thing and and learn that it’s “out of spec” and panic. Turned me off from the guy. That and how he jumped to internet stardom thanks to Primary & Secondary.

I think SOTAR can confuse new AR owners into thinking their working AR might have a problem if they don't check to see if it meets "specs".
His videos should come with a caveat, (for educational purposes only, not for standard maintenance application)

I may have been living under a rock, but I recently stumbled upon this individuals channel and find it fascinating.

Hopefully others will find something of value in these as well.

No, I donÂ’t know the guy and am not affiliated in any way. Just sharing some technical content others may appreciate.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCaUOYvlDrZh5LWILrVDUM4w

It's good to watch when trying to relax or take a nap.
Some interesting stuff. But he under lubes his BCG, I prefer to dip the whole rifle in oil after I slather & pack the the BCG with grease.

I substitute 2 dimes & a nickel for the quarter, I'm a bit of a econoclast.
The coins won't increase the gap, but I can tell my wife I saved a little change while shooting.

Five_Point_Five_Six
11-27-21, 15:15
Dudes get so assed up over Chad's videos and content and all they have to do to live a peaceful life free from all the strife that he's caused them is to just not watch the videos. The only test of his that I've ever done is the quarter test. All of mine passed albeit one was a hair tight. I find the videos highly educational and informative as a way of identifying why a particular gun or part will not run reliably.

He's never said all the gauging and inspection is necessary and he's not pushing anyone to buy gauges and start tearing their guns apart. He even goes so far as to point out that when, say, a BCG fails the three bore test that it doesn't mean the gun won't run or that it should be scrapped, just that it might not be as gas efficient as it should be.

I swear some of you act like he slapped and insulted your mothers.

rushca01
11-27-21, 15:33
Another test I learned from the videos was standing the bolt carrier upright with the weight pushing down to test if the gas rings were worn. If the bolt doesn’t hold the carrier up the rings are worn. Simple field test.

HKGuns
11-27-21, 18:15
Another test I learned from the videos was standing the bolt carrier upright with the weight pushing down to test if the gas rings were worn. If the bolt doesn’t hold the carrier up the rings are worn. Simple field test.

That isn’t a fail, that is a red flag.

The next step is to try to shake it from the carrier which then makes it a fail.

He covers that in at least one video.

JoeBobJoe
11-28-21, 11:37
Agreed. I do think a lack of knowledge about AR's & along with OCD, will cause some who watch SOTAR videos to stress themselves out.
No fault of SOTAR. I myself did the quarter test. Like all YouTube, I take with a grain of salt.
SOTAR videos are the only 45 min videos I don't FF
He gives the details, use them or not, still good content.
I also think it's great how much he lubes his BCG, & love to see, the just a drop here & there guys pulling their hair out. And I thought I was going overboard using red & tacky#2, plus a little oil just in case, his lube video made me think I probably could use a touch more.

HKGuns
12-01-21, 22:41
Agreed. I do think a lack of knowledge about AR's & along with OCD, will cause some who watch SOTAR videos to stress themselves out.
No fault of SOTAR. I myself did the quarter test. Like all YouTube, I take with a grain of salt.
SOTAR videos are the only 45 min videos I don't FF
He gives the details, use them or not, still good content.
I also think it's great how much he lubes his BCG, & love to see, the just a drop here & there guys pulling their hair out. And I thought I was going overboard using red & tacky#2, plus a little oil just in case, his lube video made me think I probably could use a touch more.

But that is on them, not on him and agree really good and relevant content and a valuable resource to the gun community.

Unfortunately, it appears the asshats have run him off, probably for good.

HKGuns
03-19-22, 09:03
Looks like he is forming his own service and getting off the big tech platforms.

—KUDOS—

I’ll support anyone giving the middle finger to the communists at YouTube.

sotarsociety.com

prepare
03-19-22, 12:49
Looks like he is forming his own service and getting off the big tech platforms.

—KUDOS—

I’ll support anyone giving the middle finger to the communists at YouTube.

sotarsociety.com

Been on the new sight since it started and have taken his class. Highly recommended if you work on AR's!

DG23
03-19-22, 12:55

That crap is not just 'a touch more' than needed. It is well into the stupid zone.