PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to Windows 11?

Sam
11-25-21, 08:58
I'm a computer idiot. So please answer my question as simple and clear as possible. Only technical response. No opinions please, just facts.

I received a message from Windows that 11 is available to be upgraded for free. My laptop is currently running on 10.

Should I upgrade?

Thanks.

Diamondback
11-25-21, 10:53
Seven reasons you might wanna pass: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/windows-11-sucks/

It also very tightly restricts what you can/can't install and regularly "phones home" giving Microsoft access to your files and personal data. Not to mention tries to lock you into Edge browser, which may be a problem if you dislike Edge or it doesn't play nice with your company intranet. https://www.tomsguide.com/news/microsoft-is-making-it-even-harder-to-avoid-the-edge-browser-in-windows-11

And then there's every user on every machine being required to have a Microsoft account... https://www.fsf.org/news/lifes-better-together-when-you-avoid-windows-11

I'm not a tech nerd but based on everything I've seen if your system runs fine on 10 I'd stay with 10. Let other people be the guinea pigs.

Sam
11-25-21, 12:54
Thanks. That's good information to know. The laptop has been running fine with W10. If 11 is so much more troublesome, then it's not really an upgrade.

Diamondback
11-25-21, 13:07
As a rule of thumb, I find it good practice to never adopt a new OS within the first year or two of launch. My main laptop still has Win7, and the only reason I'm considering a 10 upgrade is that something fried its registry so it's only usable in "Safe Mode With Networking" and took out all the restore point, and I can't find my OS CD.

Gotta find a tolerable price on an old mSATA SSD first, though, if I'm gonna fight with this crap I might as well take the plunge and migrate to a fresh drive. (I still prefer physical platters for my bulk data, since I burn storage like a teenager who's just discovered his dad's Playboy stash burns kleenexes.)

zack991
11-25-21, 17:14
You never ever upgrade to the latest windows for a min 2 years before they get the big headaches worked out. Gamers are finding out their drivers and some newer games wont work at a with the new system. Bother who works in IT says very few of their office software and communications program will even run on 11. Every tech channel i watch says to avoid 11.

rero360
11-25-21, 17:44
Also seems like every other OS that Microsoft comes out with is a steaming turd,
2000 - good,
ME - turd,
XP - Awesome,
Vista - turd,
7 - great,
8 - turd,
10 - pretty decent so far,
11 - probably going to be a turd, just my opinion though.

m1a_scoutguy
11-26-21, 00:47
I'm a computer idiot. So please answer my question as simple and clear as possible. Only technical response. No opinions please, just facts.

I received a message from Windows that 11 is available to be upgraded for free. My laptop is currently running on 10.

Should I upgrade?

Thanks.

Well here is the total opposite guy, LOL I have a Newer Dell PC just a little over a year old & have had 11 installed for a couple of weeks now with 0 noticeable issues so far. It was an easy transition and not really any issues & my PC does seem to run faster between apps & programs installed. 1st thing to do Sam is run the compatibility program and see what it says about your current PC, if it's a no-go then don't do it for sure. Mine is fine and fully compatible and it does seem to run smoother. I have a buddy that owns & runs a PC repair shop with another friend and BOTH said go for it cuz it's better !!
I have COD & Battlefield both installed and both run fine. The only issue that I have noticed is my 5 year or older HP printer/scanner seems to be acting up, at least the scanner part, printing is still working 100%. If the worse I have to do is spend $50 bucks on a new printer/scanner then I'm not to concerned about it. Run your test and see what it says & then decide. Keep us posted if you go for it. Also, you can go back to 10 easily I believe, I saw it in the FAQs!

Sam
11-26-21, 08:55
Thanks all. I will hold off on the updating for awhile.