PDA

View Full Version : Why you don't buy no name cheap parts because they look cool

zack991
11-25-21, 10:11
Found a neat video from School of the American Rifle breaking down a flashy no name BCG. Buy high quality parts from known good companies that mark their parts. Personally I think most of these coatings are a gimmick and marketing wank. Never had a well maintain BCG need that crap to work. Cheap parts don't have good QC or any QC as seen here. People get what they pay for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHbJovLMuZk

HKGuns
11-25-21, 10:14
But its gold..........That was an abomination.

11-25-21, 10:34
Extremely sloppy fit of the bolt tail and shoulder support. Very sloppy cam pin fit. “Crush fit” headspace leading to high pressure. I wonder if these dimensions were involved in the broken Anderson bolt someone posted last week, that cracked at both the tail and cam pin hole?

rushca01
11-25-21, 11:23
How do you politely tell someone they bought garbage…? To them it’s the same or just as good as…

zack991
11-25-21, 11:29
Go to any anderson page and its like fish in a barrel. Their arguments for just as good is like me saying their oil filter suppressor is just as good as a Surefire surpressor because they use the same size threading. Late night informationals taught me if its really flashy and cheap its likely to good to be true.

Disciple
11-25-21, 11:35
Even worse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r40WaaS3Nt8

HKGuns
11-25-21, 11:44
Even worse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r40WaaS3Nt8

I did some quick searching on the "owner" of this company after watching this one. She and her husband appear to be serial scam artists, imported from Russia and should be deported.

Started in Bullion, migrated to Real Estate and now firearms.

https://dfpi.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/337/2014/04/NationalBullion_dr.pdf

zack991
11-25-21, 12:02
I think people should be charged especially in firearm products. If a person doesnt do their own fact checking as they should, it could be a bad day when it fails.

rushca01
11-25-21, 12:25
I enjoy his videos, I have learned a few things from watching them. I’m assuming he has the tdp and is able to make his garages based on the tdp specs for go vs no go. Someday I will mix up a batch of his lube, for now SLIP 2000 has AWLAYS done the job foe me.

steelcore
11-25-21, 12:26
While I totally understand tight budget's, low cost build's, there are certain areas I won't cut corners or sacrifice quality. Especially when safety and life depends on it

Clint
11-25-21, 12:32
Life is too short to waste on junk parts.

3 AE
11-25-21, 15:33
How do you politely tell someone they bought garbage…? To them it’s the same or just as good as…

You don't! Politely that is. I either kept my mouth shut or told them that they were the biggest asshats in the history of mankind for buying junk parts, junk guns, junk accessories.

rushca01
11-25-21, 16:42
You don't! Politely that is. I either kept my mouth shut or told them that they were the biggest asshats in the history of mankind for buying junk parts, junk guns, junk accessories.

Friend came to my range yesterday, he wanted me to look over his AR that another buddy built for him. I checked a few things over, lubed it for and we shot. Anderson lower, some side charging upper receiver, carbine buffer, unstated castle nut, and some chicom back up sights. For him it works which is all that matters, said he spent 400 dollars on it. It’s shame for a bit more money relatively speaking he could have bought a solid AR.

zack991
11-26-21, 05:38
The fact he was sold a anderson lower tells me other parts were bought because they were cheap. Also 400 dollars is simply so cheap you are not getting quality at that price. People dont have to spend 2k for a go to war gun but a good barrel and BCG eats up 70-90% of that. A good quality built rifle will run you close to 850-1000 bucks for a rifle with quality parts.

Arik
11-26-21, 06:44
Friend came to my range yesterday, he wanted me to look over his AR that another buddy built for him. I checked a few things over, lubed it for and we shot. Anderson lower, some side charging upper receiver, carbine buffer, unstated castle nut, and some chicom back up sights. For him it works which is all that matters, said he spent 400 dollars on it. It’s shame for a bit more money relatively speaking he could have bought a solid AR.I've gotten to the point where I just don't care. Really....it's none of my business and as long as they're supporting and adding to 2A it's all good.

I mean, who am I to say who needs to spend what on a rifle. Not everyone wants to run around and shoot paper targets from underneath cars and shit. Some just like to pop a few rounds off every couple years. And when I say this I think of a friend of mine. Bought a used SW MP15 for around $500, about 10 years ago. I don't think that rifle has seen 200 rounds. Now he's planning on moving and is going to sell his rifle. Was someone like that really going to get any more from a $1000 rifle?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

WornOutGrunt
02-15-22, 04:29
My question to people who buy cheap parts is ... if you were in the hospital would you ask for the discount blood for an infusion ? If your gonna potentially stake your life on something... at a MINIMUM get some 2nd tier parts... not everyone can afford a DD or KAC but.. do some research and get quality parts....

If its just a range toy... go buy a HiPoint

markm
02-15-22, 08:38
I think that has the TiN finish. Aside from whatever the video shows, that shit corrodes badly and is a horrible BCG finish.

The_War_Wagon
02-15-22, 09:12

post this autopsy on their fazebook page

MegademiC
02-15-22, 18:56
You know what looks cool? Performance.
The gun industry "flashy" shit is cancer.

People buy this crap when they look at their guns but dont train and/or compete.

Dust devil
02-18-22, 22:33
To be a bit fair to some people, it can be hard to tell the difference between good and garbage and a lot of AR parts are so lightly stressed that garbage works (sort of).

If a plastic lower can work, a crappy aluminum lower that works works.

I have an AR with an $80 barrel that's accurate, runs fine and doesn't seem to care that the barrel was cheap. It's in an AR Stoner upper/handguard combo that was another $80, doesn't care. The BCG was $100, not super cheap, not garbage, it works fine. The lower it is in was $65, it's fine. LPK was $30, it's fine. The buffer tube is a $20 no-name, it's fine.

Where I spent money is the pistol brace, an adjustable heavy weight buffer (because it's a 9mm), a drop in trigger and a Law Tactical folder. Beside the buffer, that's all stuff to make it cool, not run better.

Maybe I could have got a $90 BCG if I wanted to scrape the bottom of the barrel. Maybe I could have found a $50 lower. I don't think I really spent more than about $40 above as cheap as possible beside the cool stuff that doesn't make it run any better.

I've been thinking about making a cheapo 300 Blackout or 5.56 upper for it. The basic formula would be a cheap nitrided barrel, a decent $80-100 BCG, a $15-20 low profile gas block and a $10 gas tube in the cheapest upper/handguard I can find. It will need a different buffer and spring too. If the barrel and gas block work, the upper pins on and has decent feed ramps, it should be good to go.

I would spend more on a rifle to take to war but for my backpack gun it's fine. I could probably wear out the trigger or the buffer spring a few times before anything else goes wrong.

WornOutGrunt
02-19-22, 06:14
I think that has the TiN finish. Aside from whatever the video shows, that shit corrodes badly and is a horrible BCG finish.

I had a BCM FDE coated BCG that started corroding/ discoloring.. whatever.. after a short time.. ( a lot shorter than I thought it should anyway).. I just went back to Phosphate and called it a day... point being the fancy, tacticool, I gotta have it mouse traps don't seem to stand the test of time...some of it may but ..usually not... stick with PROVEN gear/ parts and you cant go wrong.

I close this by saying its YOUR $$ spend it as you wish.... but tough to complain when it fails.... if your TESTING a particular part out to SEE if it fails... that's a different subject all together.

Dust devil
02-21-22, 02:52
I don't live in a humid area but I've never had corrosion with NiB, Ion-Bond, chrome or nitride finished BCGs. Parkerized hasn't been a problem either but they are all oil/gsr coated. Carbon deposits seem to stick better to parkerized, the rest clean up easy.

I like those finishes. I might try NP3 but I avoid anything that isn't proven tech on guns.

I've seen some weird different color coatings I've never heard of, a lot of them on no name Glock barrels and I'll pass because they seem like a gimmick to sell "Gucci" parts that don't sell in more common finishes.

In my experience cheap and conventional usually works. Cheap and weird I stay away from. So far I think my strategy is effective.

Steve-0-
02-21-22, 04:49
I don't live in a humid area but I've never had corrosion with NiB, Ion-Bond, chrome or nitride finished BCGs. Parkerized hasn't been a problem either but they are all oil/gsr coated. Carbon deposits seem to stick better to parkerized, the rest clean up easy.

I like those finishes. I might try NP3 but I avoid anything that isn't proven tech on guns.

I've seen some weird different color coatings I've never heard of, a lot of them on no name Glock barrels and I'll pass because they seem like a gimmick to sell "Gucci" parts that don't sell in more common finishes.

In my experience cheap and conventional usually works. Cheap and weird I stay away from. So far I think my strategy is effective.

NP3 is proven tech on guns. I might not work for sionics anymore but we had bcgs in demo guns with thousands of rounds on them. No issues.

georgeib
02-21-22, 08:05
NP3 is proven tech on guns. I might not work for sionics anymore but we had bcgs in demo guns with thousands of rounds on them. No issues.

Yeah, NP3 is definitely the king of firearm coatings. My NP3 Sionics BCG is everything it was billed to be. Excellent assembly, and wipes clean. Unlike my ionbond, NiB, or parkerized ones. If I had the budget, and availability was there, I would put Sionics NP3 BCGs in everything I own.

Dust devil
02-24-22, 14:41
Yeah, I hear NP3 is good to go, I just haven't found it on parts cheap enough for me so no experience. I have good experience with NiB and Ion-Bond, chrome seems good but I worry more about rust (maybe needlessly) and Nitride has been good although I know they can rust if abused. Parkerized works too but it's my least favorite and I try to avoid it if possible. The thing common in all my experience is I usually only spend a $10-20 premium to get a nitride or coating vs a reasonable quality parkerized BCG.

markm
02-24-22, 15:18
I'll 3rd the NP3 coating on BCG. It's the only finish other than Phosphate with which I am satisfied completely.

titsonritz
02-24-22, 17:03
I'll 3rd the NP3 coating on BCG. It's the only finish other than Phosphate with which I am satisfied completely.

Same here. NiB, Ion-Bond, all that crap, you can have it.

titsonritz
02-24-22, 17:05

Robar was using Np3 on 1911's for years before NiB, Ion-Bond, etc was a thing.

WornOutGrunt
03-05-22, 06:49
Just a quick continuation of this Cheap Parts post, I was fleshing out some older builds I have last night.. turns out a couple of my QD sling mounts started to bend and one actually released out of the swivel. I bought these a long time ago.. thinking Oh a QD is just a QD Sling attachment...BULL S*#T..!! if I had needed them and they failed the rifle would/ could have fallen, possibly breaking the optic...Now I'm ordering a few Magpul or BCM ones to replace those TODAY.

Additionally I tried the QD point on the back of the receiver.. another NO Name part that seemed like just an afterthought when I bought it and installed it. I tried 3 different Magpul slings and a Vickers sling.... all pulled out with little effort...

Check your gear men !! I will Buy once and Cry once from now on...no more Cheap parts... I cant afford something simple as a QD mount to fail when I need it

Sorry for the rant ... but I'm pissed off at myself for being stupid.....DONT be like me Details DO matter

HKGuns
03-05-22, 10:19
Just a quick continuation of this Cheap Parts post, I was fleshing out some older builds I have last night.. turns out a couple of my QD sling mounts started to bend and one actually released out of the swivel. I bought these a long time ago.. thinking Oh a QD is just a QD Sling attachment...BULL S*#T..!! if I had needed them and they failed the rifle would/ could have fallen, possibly breaking the optic...Now I'm ordering a few Magpul or BCM ones to replace those TODAY.

Additionally I tried the QD point on the back of the receiver.. another NO Name part that seemed like just an afterthought when I bought it and installed it. I tried 3 different Magpul slings and a Vickers sling.... all pulled out with little effort...

Check your gear men !! I will Buy once and Cry once from now on...no more Cheap parts... I cant afford something simple as a QD mount to fail when I need it

Sorry for the rant ... but I'm pissed off at myself for being stupid.....DONT be like me Details DO matter

Yep, I’ve had three “No name” QD swivels disintegrate on me. Bearings everywhere all over the floor.

One even disintegrated in shipment and was all over in the shipping box upon receipt. Probably Chi-Com garbage. Lesson learned.

I purchased replacements from Midwest Industries and have had no issues with their product.

03-05-22, 11:34
A few years ago I was heckled a bit on here for noting that the Cobra buckle on a VCAS is useful. The reason for that is because when performing work where dropping your gun is exceptionally detrimental (air and water), it is wise to zip-tie or paracord QD’s in case they shit the bed, but the Cobra still lets you ditch the gun if necessary. Food for thought that probably isn’t applicable.