PDA

View Full Version : BreakFree CLP question

Slater
11-25-21, 21:35
(Please, not a "what's the best lube question". Those threads go on for weeks and cost hundreds of lives).

This is press release from 2017, proclaiming that BreakFree has been approved for military use. I had thought that BreakFree was approved many years ago for this use. Was it disapproved at some point and then reapproved?

"January 11, 2017

Refined Break Free CLP Liquid Officially Approved for Military Use A one-step cleaning solution exceeding the MIL-PRF-63460E(4) military test standards

ONTARIO, California – Break Free®, a brand of The Safariland Group, today announced its Break Free® CLP® cleaning lubricant preservative liquid is now officially approved for military use in the U.S. For many years, CLP has been known as the gold standard formula as the one- step lubricating protectant firearm solution. Now with its enhanced formula and after rigorous laboratory and live-fire testing, the world-renowned CLP liquid has been added to the U.S. Department of Defense qualified product list."

https://inside.safariland.com/news/refined-break-free-clp-liquid-officially-approved-military-use-one-step-cleaning-solution-exceeding-mil-prf-63460e4-military-test-standards/

SteyrAUG
11-25-21, 23:35
Good question. I grew up with CLP being standard military. Not sure if Break Free was slightly different or if they approved some new "gee whiz" lubricant for the WOT in the last 20 or what.

Tony617
11-26-21, 02:06
I have used Breakfree CLP for years now. I ran out to the Breakfree one and don’t know what the story is for CLP. I cleaning kits I bought had Breakfree CLP for cleaning my firearms. I bought some Radcolube CLP instead and using that instead of Breakfree CLP.

11-26-21, 04:30
MIL-PRF-63460 has gone through many revisions, and different formulas of Break Free have met different revisions. E and F are the newer revisions.

This is a deep rabbit hole.

Hadoken
11-26-21, 16:03
I think the first word in the press release “refined” is key here. New formula has to get new approvals.