PDA

View Full Version : Texas Ammo Limit?

DM-SC
12-13-08, 21:11
I got a phone call from a friend who is in San Antonio Texas, visiting his oldest son, who is a Lt/ in the Air force.

They were in an Academy Sports and Outdoors store today. While there, they found what they considered a good deal on .223 ammo and decided to buy some. They wanted 1,000 rounds but all the store had were the 20rd boxes...of which there were way more than enough for them to buy the 1,000 rounds.

Anyhoo, since it would be more convenient to carry a case of a 1,000 rounds instead of the 50 individual boxes, they asked a store employee if they had a case. The employee told them (here's the kicker):

Employee "You can't buy 1,000 rounds".

My friend "So you don't have any cases in the back?".

Employee "Yes, but you can't buy 1,000 rounds"

My friend "Why?"

Employee "Because they passed a law that says you can't buy more than 5 boxes at a time"

My friend "Who passed a law...and when?"

Employee <no response>

My friend "Is that 5 boxes a day or per visit?"

Employee <sarcastically>"Per VISIT!"

Before any more questions could asked of him...the employee walked away. :rolleyes:

So, my friend and his son picked up 5 boxes each...noticing that the employee was watching them. They then continued shopping.

Before they left the store, that went back by the ammo and got 40 more boxes and went to the check out. They inquired at the check out about the 5 box per visit limit and all they got was a funny look! :D

Alpha Sierra
12-13-08, 21:13
What an idiot. The clerk, I mean.

SeriousStudent
12-14-08, 00:12
Call their headquarters. Seriously.

But have a name, date and time when you do.

Iraqgunz
12-14-08, 01:33
I would have demanded to speak with a manager and politely explained what had happened and then asked for someone to show me in writing this new found law. I would also call the corporate-head office as well.

That is Walmart buffoonery.

Shadow1198
12-14-08, 06:11
What is it with random store employees coming up with ridiculous bullshit mysterious "laws that got passed" when it comes to the sale of any firearms-related items? I mean why would they make some shit up like that, it serves no purpose to lie about something like that?! ;) Just for shits and giggles, a friend and I went and cleaned out a local walmart of all their 9mm and .45acp at 3am one morning. ;) I think it was ~2000rds total, and the manager was the one that opened the case for us (he was the only employee in the area at the time) and was very cordial and didn't seem concerned in the least. ;) Even better than that, my friend was at work (he works a range) several days later, which is not far from that particular Walmart. Some people were hanging around talking in the range shop and he overheard them mention that they were annoyed someone bought out Walmart's stock of 9mm and .45acp. lol

LOKNLOD
12-14-08, 07:57
A 1,000 round case is heavy, and employee didn't want to have to go find it in the back and bring it up..l

randyman_ar
12-14-08, 07:59
What is it with random store employees coming up with ridiculous bullshit mysterious "laws that got passed" when it comes to the sale of any firearms-related items? I mean why would they make some shit up like that, it serves no purpose to lie about something like that?! ;) Just for shits and giggles, a friend and I went and cleaned out a local walmart of all their 9mm and .45acp at 3am one morning. ;) I think it was ~2000rds total, and the manager was the one that opened the case for us (he was the only employee in the area at the time) and was very cordial and didn't seem concerned in the least. ;) Even better than that, my friend was at work (he works a range) several days later, which is not far from that particular Walmart. Some people were hanging around talking in the range shop and he overheard them mention that they were annoyed someone bought out Walmart's stock of 9mm and .45acp. lol

My local Wally-World won't sell handgun ammo between 9p -6a. I must admit I have never felt safer on the streets during these hours since I learned this.:rolleyes:

Iraqgunz
12-14-08, 08:15
I think that the Walmart near my old home (where my wife worked) in Caifornia there were no sales after 1000 PM. There was some type of stupid sign saying that it was federal law. When I aksed exactly what law and if they could show me I got the deer in headlights look.

At the Walmart in Avondale/Goodyear, AZ it says no firearm sales between the hours of 1000 PM and 500 AM or some crap due to federal law. I just laughed at the idiot clerk and walked away. If someone can tell me which federal law this is and where I can find it I would love to see it. Hell I'll even drink a liter of Baghdad water if I am wrong.

My local Wally-World won't sell handgun ammo between 9p -6a. I must admit I have never felt safer on the streets during these hours since I learned this.:rolleyes:

Iraq Ninja
12-14-08, 08:22
A bought 7K of 7.62x39 from an academy store in Houston last month when they are on sale. I asked the clerks for some empty boxes, and they said they didn't have any. I got the store manager and told him the story. He personally went and found empty boot boxes and helped me pack it up.

Minimum wage = minimum motivation

randyman_ar
12-14-08, 08:34
I think that the Walmart near my old home (where my wife worked) in Caifornia there were no sales after 1000 PM. There was some type of stupid sign saying that it was federal law. When I aksed exactly what law and if they could show me I got the deer in headlights look.

At the Walmart in Avondale/Goodyear, AZ it says no firearm sales between the hours of 1000 PM and 500 AM or some crap due to federal law. I just laughed at the idiot clerk and walked away. If someone can tell me which federal law this is and where I can find it I would love to see it. Hell I'll even drink a liter of Baghdad water if I am wrong.

When I inquired they did say it was the local managers policy. I think managers due a poor job in most cases informing employees the difference between store policy and federal law.

Don Robison
12-14-08, 08:39

The ammo one is BS, but the firearm sales has to do with manning of the background check computers. Since they aren't manned 24/7 they can only sell firearms during the hours the state mans the computers.
Since you're mostly correct, just have a pint:eek::p:D

Iraqgunz
12-14-08, 08:43
randyman,

Actually IIRC they actually have a sign posted above the cases that reads In Accordance With Federal Law Firearms can only be sold between xxx and xxxx. The same with ammo.

When I inquired they did say it was the local managers policy. I think managers due a poor job in most cases informing employees the difference between store policy and federal law.

Iraqgunz
12-14-08, 08:52
Well that would make sense except that the calls go back to the east coast which would be ahead by 2 hours and in Arizona if you have a CCW you are exempt from a NICS check. By my calculations in Arizona that would make the cut off at 0000 hrs., not 900PM or 1000PM.

The NICS computerized system is designed to handle most checks in less than 2 minutes and roughly 150 transactions per minute. It will be open from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. Eastern Time, seven days a week, closed only on Thanksgiving and Christmas

The ammo one is BS, but the firearm sales has to do with manning of the background check computers. Since they aren't manned 24/7 they can only sell firearms during the hours the state mans the computers.
Since you're mostly correct, just have a pint:eek::p:D

Don Robison
12-14-08, 09:00
Well that would make sense except that the calls go back to the east coast which would be ahead by 2 hours and in Arizona if you have a CCW you are exempt from a NICS check. By my calculations in Arizona that would make the cut off at 0000 hrs., not 900PM or 1000PM.

The NICS computerized system is designed to handle most checks in less than 2 minutes and roughly 150 transactions per minute. It will be open from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. Eastern Time, seven days a week, closed only on Thanksgiving and Christmas

I forgot some states do it like that. In FL the calls are made in local time.
We still have to do the check even with a CCW, we just don't have to wait three days to shoot the ex-wife:rolleyes:

austinN4
12-14-08, 09:08
Employee "Because they passed a law that says you can't buy more than 5 boxes at a time"
Stupid, or lazy, or, most likely, both!

randyman_ar
12-14-08, 09:53
So there is a federal law prohibiting the sell of ammo between certain hrs? But not on qty? Right?

Iraqgunz
12-14-08, 10:03
randyman,

No I don't believe that there is it's some bullshit that they made up. I order my ammo online min. of 500 rds. a pop with the exception of Hornady 5.56 TAP. I'll guarantee that they cannot produce any such law.

So there is a federal law prohibiting the sell of ammo between certain hrs? But not on qty? Right?

texasyid
12-14-08, 14:54
I don't go to Academy anymore. After going to Academy several times I would have to surmise that the little Punk ass bitch was too lazy to go back and get you a case.

randyman_ar
12-14-08, 16:05
Nothing to do with ammo limit, but I gotta share this. Just got back from Academy Sports in Little Rock where I purchased 500 rnds of 762x39. The cashier scans the bar code on the case, it doesn't work so we open the case she scans a box $4.86. She then asks with a wad of chewing gum in her mouth the size of a tennis ball " how many is they?" I reply 25, to which she says "so (smack, smack bubble smack) I adds 24 more", me yes. "that'll be $5.25". Again I say 'but there's 25 in the case.' "Yeah I no!:rolleyes:" says she. 'No, there's twe......heavy sigh from her:rolleyes:.....I stare at her:confused:, she back at me:rolleyes:. The guy behind me's getting restless. I thank her, she me, I'm out the door with 1/2 case of 762x39 for $5.25.
So....should I go back and settle up, or hope she's still on duty and buy the rest on the shelf?

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-14-08, 16:14
Tell the clerk that you have a Zero dumbass limit a day and have him go scamper to get someone else.

murphy j
12-14-08, 16:45
Just got back from Academy Sports in Little Rock where I purchased 500 rnds of 762x39. The cashier scans the bar code on the case, it doesn't work so we open the case she scans a box $4.86. She then asks with a wad of chewing gum in her mouth the size of a tennis ball " how many is they?" I reply 25, to which she says "so (smack, smack bubble smack) I adds 24 more", me yes. "that'll be $5.25". Again I say 'but there's 25 in the case.' "Yeah I no!:rolleyes:" says she. 'No, there's twe......heavy sigh from her:rolleyes:.....I stare at her:confused:, she back at me:rolleyes:. The guy behind me's getting restless. I thank her, she me, I'm out the door with 1/2 case of 762x39 for $5.25.

HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!

DM-SC
12-14-08, 17:05
Nothing to do with ammo limit, but I gotta share this. Just got back from Academy Sports in Little Rock where I purchased 500 rnds of 762x39. The cashier scans the bar code on the case, it doesn't work so we open the case she scans a box $4.86. She then asks with a wad of chewing gum in her mouth the size of a tennis ball " how many is they?" I reply 25, to which she says "so (smack, smack bubble smack) I adds 24 more", me yes. "that'll be $5.25". Again I say 'but there's 25 in the case.' "Yeah I no!:rolleyes:" says she. 'No, there's twe......heavy sigh from her:rolleyes:.....I stare at her:confused:, she back at me:rolleyes:. The guy behind me's getting restless. I thank her, she me, I'm out the door with 1/2 case of 762x39 for $5.25.
So....should I go back and settle up, or hope she's still on duty and buy the rest on the shelf?

LOL! That's just TOO good!

Seriously, my conscience wouldn't have let me leave the store...no matter how stupid the cashier was. :(

Spyw
12-15-08, 03:18
I wouldn't feel bad about leaving. When someone that cares about the store's bottom line finds out that she gave away 24 boxes of ammo, they'll be more inclined to hire people that won't make that mistake.

I worked at a Gander Mountain for about 8 months last year selling guns. I took pride in helping people exercise their 2nd Amendment rights, even though I worked with a few guys that "wouldn't mind" and/or "wouldn't be affected enough to care" if black rifles were banned. I learned Iowa's laws thoroughly and studied as much Federal law as I could so I could inform customers and not bullshit them. I was paid the same as the people making burgers at McDonald's, but I enjoyed my job. I know a great many of the people that we encounter in these stores shouldn't be trusted to hang clothes in the apparel section, but remember some of those people do care.

That said, the guy that wouldn't sell that ammo is a lazy asshole.

bkb0000
12-15-08, 03:37

uhh.... i'm the guy that goes back and settles up- but wholly shit, i don't know if i would after that. if you try to tell somebody they screwed up, and they STILL don't care- call it a freebee.

Gentoo
12-15-08, 08:54

That is unreal lol.

markm
12-15-08, 10:08
should I go back and settle up, or hope she's still on duty and buy the rest on the shelf?

I'd go back and settle up with the manger. As sweet as it'd be to get the ammo at the price, it isn't right.