PDA

View Full Version : Best trigger for "SPR/precision rifle" type of rig?

mtk
12-13-08, 23:48
The title says it all.

I'm building an 18" SPR type of rig and I need some suggestions on a trigger for it.

I was going to use a Rock River Arms NM two-stage, but that ended up coming with 0.156" hammer and trigger pins and my Mega lower takes 0.154" pins. So the RRA NM is out.

I want a match-grade trigger that will work with the 0.154" receiver holes.

Derek_Connor
12-14-08, 07:38
If Geisselle can fit, it is the answer.

Don Robison
12-14-08, 08:22
Like Derek said get a Geissele.

BTW: The RRA 2 stage is a .154 trigger.

Dave L.
12-14-08, 15:07
If Geisselle can fit, it is the answer.

Eventually I'll be switching out my LMT 2-stage for one.

QuietShootr
12-14-08, 20:05
I've been testing several different versions of the AR Gold trigger made by PACT Industries. It has real potential - the hard-use version should be available shortly. Its design makes it far safer at low pull weights than most other available triggers. More to follow.

Eta link: http://www.americantrigger.com/

MisterWilson
12-14-08, 21:11
Like Derek said get a Geissele.

BTW: The RRA 2 stage is a .154 trigger.

This, all of it.

Something's out of spec, either your trigger or your lower. I don't think that there are two standard trigger sizes out there separated by .002"...Make the sucker fit!

sgtmajor
12-15-08, 08:04
i have KAC triggers in several of my rifles. i have the 4.5 in carbines and a 3.5 in my recce build. i like them pretty well but i hear great things from the Geisselle triggers though i have not personally used them.

Derek_Connor
12-15-08, 08:17
BTW, if your current lower does not fit the Geissele trigger, and you really want the TITS HOT trigger available, find another lower.

Verbal Kint
12-15-08, 08:20
Not to hijack the OP's thread... but to piggy-back onto the topic being discussed, I'm also building a precision rifle and looking at the Geissele triggers. I'm currently in line, after placing the order this past week, waiting on one of the Geissele SSA 2 stage combat triggers (approx 4 months wait, last I heard any quoted time frame).

Should I wait it out and stick with this? Go with the DMR version instead? For those who own, or have used, the SSA trigger... how does it compare to the DMR trigger?

My main attraction to the SSA version is the lack of adjustment screw. Pretty much a KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid) approach to a 2 stage trigger, IMO. Just seems to be one less thing to possibly create a problem. Agree? Or am I overthinking the issue?

While this rifle is being built for enjoyment and target shooting, it could potentially be viewed as a SHTF weapon... so looking for something, regardless of which way I go, that will hold up in the long run.

Opinions and feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

mtk
12-15-08, 10:40
This, all of it.

Something's out of spec, either your trigger or your lower. I don't think that there are two standard trigger sizes out there separated by .002"...Make the sucker fit!

No, it isn't.

The directions, printed by Rock River Arms, state that the pins are 0.156" in diameter. My micrometer confirms this fact. And either way, they don't fit my receiver.

The holes in my receiver spec out properly at 0.154" in diameter. A ~0.153" Stag hammer pin fits just fine.

I have no idea who thought up this genius play, but nothing is out of spec in any of the parts.

Derek_Connor
12-15-08, 11:05
Not to hijack the OP's thread... but to piggy-back onto the topic being discussed, I'm also building a precision rifle and looking at the Geissele triggers. I'm currently in line, after placing the order this past week, waiting on one of the Geissele SSA 2 stage combat triggers (approx 4 months wait, last I heard any quoted time frame).

Should I wait it out and stick with this? Go with the DMR version instead? For those who own, or have used, the SSA trigger... how does it compare to the DMR trigger?

My main attraction to the SSA version is the lack of adjustment screw. Pretty much a KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid) approach to a 2 stage trigger, IMO. Just seems to be one less thing to possibly create a problem. Agree? Or am I overthinking the issue?

While this rifle is being built for enjoyment and target shooting, it could potentially be viewed as a SHTF weapon... so looking for something, regardless of which way I go, that will hold up in the long run.

Get the DMR.

I have both the DMR and SSA

I have both, both work well. If its 4months for the SSA, that could mean 8 or 12 months in reality. Get the DMR, and you will learn more about an AR15s trigger system when you start adjustin git..

weaponizer
12-16-08, 13:37

You can get a Geissele right now, with all the spring weights thrown in free Here..
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop%2Fmanufacturer&manufacturer=45
I have Geissele, and Kac, i have 3 Geissele's is that telling you anything? When you open the package you will know that you made the right decision....

Verbal Kint
12-16-08, 16:15
Thanks for the link. I actually saw those on Ranier (one of my fav / bookmarked vendors) the other day. May actually end up ordering that item.

Am I correct in assuming that the springs (which are included in that set) are the only difference you would find elsewhere, when the service/match/DMR trigger is sold separately? I know the SSA, that I was looking at, would be different due to not having the adjustment screw... but just speaking in regards to this set on Ranier vs the counterpart triggers on other sites sold separately.

bkb0000
12-16-08, 17:27
The title says it all.

I'm building an 18" SPR type of rig and I need some suggestions on a trigger for it.

I was going to use a Rock River Arms NM two-stage, but that ended up coming with 0.156" hammer and trigger pins and my Mega lower takes 0.154" pins. So the RRA NM is out.

I want a match-grade trigger that will work with the 0.154" receiver holes.

the pins are two thousands bigger than your original pins by design. you're supposed to literally pound them in there. if you don't want to do that, you can just use your original .154 pins, with minimal performance loss.

edit: i should say; negligiable performance loss- the only thing you're losing is the ultra-tightness they wanted when they designed it. it just adds .002" takeup to your trigger pull.

weaponizer
12-16-08, 17:28
Thanks for the link. I actually saw those on Ranier (one of my fav / bookmarked vendors) the other day. May actually end up ordering that item.

Am I correct in assuming that the springs (which are included in that set) are the only difference you would find elsewhere, when the service/match/DMR trigger is sold separately? I know the SSA, that I was looking at, would be different due to not having the adjustment screw... but just speaking in regards to this set on Ranier vs the counterpart triggers on other sites sold separately.

The Springs are the only difference between the 3 triggers...:)
The Quality on these triggers are amazing, they are even serial numbered.. And they supply all the specially ground pins, and the alignment tool, allen wrenches, oil and grease detailed instructions to make the installation go as smooth as possible....

Verbal Kint
12-16-08, 17:52
The Springs are the only difference between the 3 triggers...:)
The Quality on these triggers are amazing, they are even serial numbered.. And they supply all the specially ground pins, and the alignment tool, allen wrenches, oil and grease detailed instructions to make the installation go as smooth as possible....

Cool, thanks for the clarification. KNS pins, that I already have, should work with this trigger, correct? Pretty sure that I've seen, stated elsewhere, that they are compatible... just making sure.

Yeah, Geissele is definitely at the top of the list of quality triggers. Have known about them for some time, but never had a need to use them before. Had a RRA rifle years ago and left it as-is before selling it... and then started building a SBR, which wouldn't require a 2-stage trigger. Now that things have gone 180* and that build changed into this SPR build, I've swapped around components and I'm being very picky about what goes into it (regarding precision). That, IMO, is probably the best thing about custom building one of these from the ground up... you know exactly what is going in it. :) Only downside is the price can spiral out of control. lol. But I guess you have to pay to play.

jvg04
12-16-08, 18:09
I just received my 2 Geissele triggers today ( SSF & Hi-Speed DMR).
I'll post after I get some rounds down range.
jvg04

mtk
12-16-08, 19:27
the pins are two thousands bigger than your original pins by design. you're supposed to literally pound them in there. if you don't want to do that, you can just use your original .154 pins, with minimal performance loss.

edit: i should say; negligiable performance loss- the only thing you're losing is the ultra-tightness they wanted when they designed it. it just adds .002" takeup to your trigger pull.

Well, the directions didn't say anything about hammering the pins into standard-sized holes. They said the trigger is designed to use 0.156" pins (provided) and your lower had to have pin holes sized to fit these pins in it.

To me, the only correct way to obtain such a thing involves a precision reamer at the very least and maybe a jig to make sure the pin holes are in the right spot in the first place. Hammering in the trigger pins would just damage the pins and bugger up the pin holes, which is hardly a feature.

Either way, I'm not sodomizing my lower to open up the pin holes to fit this thing. I spoke to the vendor and I'm going to return the unused trigger for credit (it was part of a complete LPK) and get a small-pin Geissele Hi-Speed unit instead.

I'll take a better-quality trigger and unmolested pin holes every time. :D

Thanks for all the input.

bkb0000
12-16-08, 21:46
Well, the directions didn't say anything about hammering the pins into standard-sized holes. They said the trigger is designed to use 0.156" pins (provided) and your lower had to have pin holes sized to fit these pins in it.

To me, the only correct way to obtain such a thing involves a precision reamer at the very least and maybe a jig to make sure the pin holes are in the right spot in the first place. Hammering in the trigger pins would just damage the pins and bugger up the pin holes, which is hardly a feature.

Either way, I'm not sodomizing my lower to open up the pin holes to fit this thing. I spoke to the vendor and I'm going to return the unused trigger for credit (it was part of a complete LPK) and get a small-pin Geissele Hi-Speed unit instead.

I'll take a better-quality trigger and unmolested pin holes every time. :D

Thanks for all the input.

no, it doesn't **** up the pins or the receiver- just locks them in tight. and i've put standard .154 pins back in the same holes afterward without any notable play.

i'm the kind of guy that likes to do a full strip and clean every once in a while, though, so i stopped using the big ass pins to prevent wear/damage from putting the tight pins in and out. using the .154 pins works just as well, i didn't notice any change.

your decision, though. you sure as hell cant go wrong with a geisselle. but you CAN use the RRA.

kevN
01-05-09, 01:35
I'm quite happy with my single stage drop-in timney triggers. I have one in a DPMS lr-308, and one in my SPRish build and both are very clean. I got my from POF, and availability seemed better (last month).

I was looking at the Chip McCormick's but I called and they said something about a recall and that they wouldn't have any for a while. Not sure about the nature of the recall.

Ring
01-08-09, 13:48
what does a 300$ trigger do that a 130 trigger dont?

i have a armalite i got for 125, its 4.5 i belive.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=19696&title=AR-15%20NATIONAL%20MATCH%202-STAGE%20TRIGGER

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/catsearch.aspx?c=2805&p=4816

whaledriver
01-08-09, 14:10
Also try Bill Springfield with your stock trigger. Costs around $45 and takes a stock trigger and makes it very nice. Spend the rest of the dough on women and whiskey or ammo.

rob_s
01-08-09, 14:22
I'm on the list for the SSA, if it ever comes up to my number. I'm in no itchin' hurry so it suits me fine to wait for what I want.

Ryo
01-08-09, 17:39
I have a CMMG 2 stage, LMT 2 stage, RRA 2 stage, and a Geissele 2 stage.. and the winner is... Geissele! It's not to say the other triggers were not good, but Geissele was a very very very noticeable difference between the quality of the pull.

US Autoweapons
01-08-09, 23:26
I think you will find that the JP Fire Control Kit is a step up on Geissele. It is completely adjustable for engagement and over travel. The disconnect must be hand fit so it takes a little more to install than the Geissele but it is worth the time. It is the cleanest single stage on the market. Check it out here:

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.1_fc.php

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-09-09, 00:23
Besides Ranier selling the G-trigger springs with the trigger, where can I get the springs by themselves. I bought a Match one a few months ago because it was the only one I could find. I'd rather have the DMR weight trigger.

Ryo
01-09-09, 02:25
Call Geissele.. They might be able to help. Your only asking for springs, not the whole trigger so maybe they have a stockpile.