PDA

View Full Version : Used is Not New

JoeBobJoe
11-29-21, 14:14
Let me start by saying I'm just venting.

On the equipment exchange, I see some people selling as new, for same amount anyone can buy it new.
Once you buy something, if you use it or not it's used not new.
Why would anyone buy a used part for same or in some cases more than the part cost new?

I thought the equipment exchange was to help pass along to fellow shooters some parts you're not going to use or barely use.
Like I said just my two cents.
The two parts I sold on the equipment exchange were for 1/3 what it would cost new.
I sold them on the EE to help my compadres, not make some dinero, comprende. It should be clear in any language that's with the EE is for.

Maybe I'm just an old crank.

Stickman
11-29-21, 14:28

On the equipment exchange, I see some people selling as new, for same amount anyone can buy it new.
Why would anyone buy a used part for same or in some cases more than the part cost new?

I thought the equipment exchange was to help pass along to fellow shooters some parts you're not going to use or barely use.
Like I said just my two cents.
The two parts I sold on the equipment exchange were for 1/3 what it would cost new.
I sold them on the EE to help my compadres, not make some dinero, comprende. It should be clear in any language that's with the EE is for.

Maybe I'm just an old crank.

Not an old crank, just someone who doesn't like seeing people get jerked around. I understand, but this will still probably get kicked to the general discussion section.

PS- I agree with you.

robbins290
11-29-21, 14:31
We have a local maine gun exchange website called uncle henrys. You should see what people post things for sale on there. Sad part is, they get it. From people who can not pass back ground checks.

Take a few mins and brose thru here. Specially the tactical stuff.
https://www.unclehenrys.com/search/Guns?display=grid

Arik
11-29-21, 14:37
Deleted

sidewaysil80
11-29-21, 14:51
How envious I am of a life so peaceful that this is what’s chapping your ass. Who cares, don’t buy it, don’t look at it.

markm
11-29-21, 15:00
That is annoying. I don't sell much, but always price my stuff to move.

This isn't any different than anywhere else though. Gunbroker, Reverb.com... all have the same items sitting forever at full retail pricing. Shoot! I sold all 3 of my items in 1 day on Reverb last week by undercutting the other idiots by 10-20 bucks per item.

11-29-21, 15:46
New should be new.

I bought a new take-off barrel one time and whoever took it off removed the taper pins and beat the pins and FSB all to hell.

I just replaced the pins, shaved the fsb, and reparkerized it, but it was work I shouldn’t have had to do.

HKGuns
11-29-21, 16:03
I agree with you as well.

I’ve never sold anything here and the few items I have purchased have been fair deals from good guys.

I’ve been tempted on numerous occasions to post in response, get real……..

They contribute nothing and are pretty obviously only here to make a buck off someone.

There are places worse than here though, it’s an epidemic over at HKPro and the mods are constantly swatting scam artists or those who join for the sole purpose of using it as a marketplace.

I’d not mind seeing the mods take similar actions here on the people who post only to sell.

JoeBobJoe
11-29-21, 18:23
Thanks for the info. I didn't think to distinguish between AR general or general, that was me being a newbie to the forum.
I'm glad to see people agree, I wasn't trying to stir things up.

Thanks

I appreciate the positive response. I wasn't trying to offend anyone, I was just surprised by some of the prices on some listings.
I just think like minded people should help each other out a bit, if possible.

Honu
11-29-21, 18:54
YUP so agree

don't sell anything anymore :) just chuck it in a box

I did about 10+ yrs ago get a few new LMT MRP setups did not like the sites looked up MSRP and think I put them about %40 down went super quick I sold something I did not like and someone was happy

never used but not NEW :)

I just laugh when I see that and ignore that person though :) people now try to ask insane prices for USED stuff they say is new :) hahahahaha

DG23
11-29-21, 19:11

The part in bold - Bull Crap.

If I buy a new firearm and never shoot it - It is still a new firearm.

Likewise with respect to parts - I have a metric crap ton of spare parts in my toolboxes and stacked on shelves. They could be months old or years old but if they have never been 'used' they are still 'new' parts. When you buy parts from a vendor do you ask when they received them so you can determine if they are really 'new' or not or do you not give a darn how long they may have been sitting on a shelf or in a warehouse??? 'Unused' is the same exact thing as 'new' for all practical purposes here friend.

Example: I recently bought a bunch of Colt hand guards that they stopped making in the late 90's. Yeah, they were made in the 90's but they were still brand new parts from Colt sealed in the original bags and had never been 'used'...

Next part of what you said is not really true either. If I buy a new firearm to add to my collection and they stop making them soon after (or for whatever reason they become harder to find for the average joe blow) - Well, If you want to buy the one I have it is going to cost you more than what they 'used' to cost. If you don't like my price then go find it somewhere else (knowing that particular item may not be in stock elsewhere).

The EE here is not some sort of charity thing where guys should be expected to take a loss on things are wanting to sell and not receive fair market value. If 'you' choose to sell your stuff there at a loss that is your business but most are not going to go down that road with you.

SteyrAUG
11-29-21, 19:37
So people should call something Like New instead of New. That is assuming it's never been used. Otherwise it should be in actual stated condition such as Exc., VG or whatever.

Pictures should also help. I don't have any problem with "never used" being called NEW even if it's not in it's original wrapper, these things aren't collectible star wars action figures in most cases.

But the EE is a "For Sale" section, it's not really a "hook a brutha up" section. People buy things, sometimes figure out they can't use them and then try and recoup as much of their purchase as possible. Nobody owes anyone anything except honest description of item.

People who have a problem with New vs. Opened but still New should also probably ask very specific questions. If we all act like grown ups, most of this stuff is avoidable.

I buy and sell all kinds of things. Sometimes "new in the box / unissued" is very, very important. Sometimes it's just not and in "like new" condition is perfectly fine.

AndyLate
11-30-21, 00:13
To me a firearm is like a car, its only new until the first owner buys it. Parts are different and the descriptions in the EE are normally accurate. When in doubt, ask questions.

Pricing is up to the seller, generally. I have seen stuff offered for sale here for a higher than new price (for items that are still stocked and available in the market). I just shake my head and move on. I also know a lot of buyers "low ball" so sellers bump their asking price to give them wiggle room. I have offered a lower than asking price buying stuff here, but I make every attempt to be respectful if I do it.

I have picked up a fair number of items here on the EE and have always been more than satisfied with the condition of the items. Whether I paid a fair price, overpaid, or got a bargain is on me.

Andy

uffdaphil
11-30-21, 01:01
I’m more amazed at how many sell a $20 item for $12 shipped and clear just a few bucks after Priority Mail postage. Is their time worth nothing? I’d rather give that stuff away.

ViniVidivici
11-30-21, 01:29
I don't see it as any kind of "charity" either. It's a place to buy and sell. It's a great resource.

I've sold things I no longer needed, to fund new projects, and I've gotten things I needed here as well, sometimes at quite a bargain, but that's never expected.

It's a free market. I'm not aware that we have a problem with members misrepresenting items here. I've not experienced it.

SteyrAUG
11-30-21, 01:55
To me a firearm is like a car, its only new until the first owner buys it. Parts are different and the descriptions in the EE are normally accurate. When in doubt, ask questions.

Pricing is up to the seller, generally. I have seen stuff offered for sale here for a higher than new price (for items that are still stocked and available in the market). I just shake my head and move on. I also know a lot of buyers "low ball" so sellers bump their asking price to give them wiggle room. I have offered a lower than asking price buying stuff here, but I make every attempt to be respectful if I do it.

I have picked up a fair number of items here on the EE and have always been more than satisfied with the condition of the items. Whether I paid a fair price, overpaid, or got a bargain is on me.

Andy

I dunno. If somebody buys it NIB and leaves it NIB, to me that is still NIB. Maybe old stock or whatever.

But once they clean it, finger **** it or shoot it even once, it's used. Might be in really excellent condition, but still not any longer NIB. And don't try and sell me some "it get's test fired at the factory" nonsense.

Again, people just have to be HONEST about what they got. When I used to transfer more guns from GB for customers, I saw some shit.

I have seen an Armalite AR-10 with the entire sear shelf block dremeled out (poorly) and sold as New in Box.

I have seen more than a few rifles with carbon debris in barrel, receiver and magazines sold as New in Box.

And of course the real fun ones, like Colt 6920s completely stripped and replaced with DPMS parts (or similar) and sold as Colt original 6920 BRAND NEW in box. Ironically it was one of the few times most of the parts actually were brand new / unused.

People try and pull all kinds of shit. I was selling guns for my brother one time and he kept wanting me to take pictures from this angle which wouldn't show any flaws or word things to "suggest" the gun was much better than it actually was. Wanted me to describe things as "in cherry condition" vs. 90% or NRA VG or things like that. After trying to peer pressure me for 10 minutes I told him I could sell it under my terms or not at all. He certainly didn't give a damn, not like he spent 10 years building a reputation.

And IF somebody wouldn't have been happy, he would have been a 100% all sales final - no refunds - you had your chance - you saw pictures and you bid anyway policy. Negative feedbacks, well that would have been my problem. Never mind that I've been 100% since 2001 or whenever. Wasn't even making a nickel on the sale, just trying to help him sell some guns because he was needing the cash.

And if he's trying to strong arm me into that shit, imagine what he and everyone else like him does when they list their stuff on local forums.

I have seen some shit in my time.

Alpha-17
11-30-21, 08:24
Couple of things I've learned since working with and buying guns as a job and not just a hobby: people have a really highly inflated view of what their stuff is worth. NIB, Like New, gently used, whatever, they think they should be getting a very good percentage of what they paid for the firearm in question, regardless of what they paid for it, or what other factors are involved. "I've only shot it XX times" is always funny, especially when you inspect it and find it packed with carbon, major scratches on the finish, and accessories missing.

Little less on topic for this thread, but it's also funny how few people seem to get the concept of wholesale prices vs retail. Not an issue in private sales, but when who you're selling it to will be turning around to resell, they're not going to be able to offer you 100% of what they'll ultimately sell it for. The higher the amount they give you, the higher they'll ask for it later. That's a really novel concept to some folks.

All that said, a gun (or whatever)'s value is exactly what someone is willing to pay for it, no more, no less. Some things we'll have at ridiculously outrageous prices (M1 Garands come to mind) and they blow out of here. Others are pretty fairly priced, and they'll sit around for months and we'll get comments every damn day about how they "used to buy these for $100 back in the day!" Stupidly high prices are annoying, but the only thing you can do is make an offer, and see if the seller accepts. If not, just let other fools be quickly parted with thier money.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-30-21, 08:31
Our EE is not what it used to be sadly. It once was a place to rapidly buy and sell at fair prices.

The one that really cracks me up is the guy with like 30 open for sale ads of Colt take off parts for $1000 each.

Vegas
11-30-21, 12:39
Our EE is not what it used to be sadly. It once was a place to rapidly buy and sell at fair prices.

The one that really cracks me up is the guy with like 30 open for sale ads of Colt take off parts for $1000 each.

Same guy is on a local forum, same ads, same interesting prices. Thing is, someone is buying otherwise you wouldn’t keep seeing them.

I have no issue with people listing their gear at higher prices, the market will dictate what it sells for. I chuckle at those who refuse to see this and bump their thread in perpetuity.

MistWolf
11-30-21, 13:30
EE, Gunbroker, Marketplace etc.- all tame compared to the heyday of gunshows. Growing up, we used to go to the Pomona Fairgrounds in Southern California for the Great Western Gun, Knife & Militaria Show (or something like that) every six months. It was Mecca. Guns, surplus "Army Gear", knives, cheap surplus ammo, patches, flags, book signings from that guy who claimed to have shot down Pappy Boyington- Cowboys shooting balloons from horseback, a huge display of military vehicles. What you guys are complaining about ain't a patch on scams we saw and the shysters we met. Many of the shysters were some of the genuinely nicest people you could hope to meet. It was some of the most fund we ever had.

I remember when my father bought this huge crate of webbed slings real cheap and made a ton of money giving them to my little brothers and little cousins to sell. 75 cents for webbed slings and a dollar and a quarter for the rubberized webbed slings. They got a commission of a quarter for every sling they sold. It was great! At the beginning of the show they'd disappear in the crowd weighed down with a bunch of slings and return with a pocketful of cash for dad and decked out in surplus gear like Sgt. Rock and his squad coming back from patrol, complete with faded fatigues, helmets & bayonets, stuffing their victorious faces with hotdogs and sodapop. Once, they even came back with a discarded LAW rocket launcher bought for $5. It took three or four years to sell all those slings and the prices got higher the closer they got to the bottom of the crate.

Every now and then, someone would come back with a real piece of junk they paid way to much for, the adults included.

As kids, we got a hard education early on spotting shysters and good deals. It's all part of the game.

chuckman
11-30-21, 13:34
I have gotten a metric crap-ton off EE, and made some pretty good friends in the process. Bonus.

I will say I don't often do market research, and I've had a couple guys PM to tell me my price was off base compared to the market. I don't mind, it doesn't hurt my feelings.

The thing that does make me shake my head is the used stuff at new prices. I never really got that.

SteyrAUG
11-30-21, 16:35
Couple of things I've learned since working with and buying guns as a job and not just a hobby: people have a really highly inflated view of what their stuff is worth. NIB, Like New, gently used, whatever, they think they should be getting a very good percentage of what they paid for the firearm in question, regardless of what they paid for it, or what other factors are involved. "I've only shot it XX times" is always funny, especially when you inspect it and find it packed with carbon, major scratches on the finish, and accessories missing.

The one constant I've seen is this.

If a person is buying a gun, they know EXACTLY what the lowest FFL price is anywhere and they are hoping to get it on sale for 10% below that price.

But if the same person is now selling a gun, suddenly they know EXACTLY what MSRP is and they are hoping to sell for maybe 10% above that price because it's still in really good condition.

DG23
11-30-21, 20:18
I dunno. If somebody buys it NIB and leaves it NIB, to me that is still NIB. Maybe old stock or whatever.

But once they clean it, finger **** it or shoot it even once, it's used. Might be in really excellent condition, but still not any longer NIB. And don't try and sell me some "it get's test fired at the factory" nonsense.

A lot of truth in that comment there. Most times, No. They did not test fire shit at any factory. Guys would know this if they actually owned a borescope and checked the 'new' stuff they just bought once in a while.

I have a small collection of Colts. Some were bought to shoot and some were bought to collect. Darn near every one had a borescope run down the pipe as soon as I got them home and... If anyone was to ever try and tell me that Colt 'test fires' every rifle / carbine before it gets sent out the door I would really quickly tell them they are full of crap. You can SEE really darn clearly with the right tools. Even 'if' a reseller was to clean out any carbon or copper that gas pot is going to let you know right quick and there is no 'cleaning' that to make it look like brand spanking new again...

I do have a few nicer rifles / carbines / barrels that WERE actually test fired before getting sent my way. Generally those came with their test target included and a card with notes and names on it. (who checked off on what and what was fired at what distance blah, blah, blah)

Have bough some pistols that included a fired casing / casings in an envelope from the factory tucked somewhere inside the factory case...

For the most part, nope. If I do not see stuff from the factory or manufacturer indicating it has been test fired - I am not buying that sort of crap.

ABNAK
11-30-21, 20:40

Little less on topic for this thread, but it's also funny how few people seem to get the concept of wholesale prices vs retail. Not an issue in private sales, but when who you're selling it to will be turning around to resell, they're not going to be able to offer you 100% of what they'll ultimately sell it for. The higher the amount they give you, the higher they'll ask for it later. That's a really novel concept to some folks.

All that said, a gun (or whatever)'s value is exactly what someone is willing to pay for it, no more, no less. Some things we'll have at ridiculously outrageous prices (M1 Garands come to mind) and they blow out of here. Others are pretty fairly priced, and they'll sit around for months and we'll get comments every damn day about how they "used to buy these for $100 back in the day!" Stupidly high prices are annoying, but the only thing you can do is make an offer, and see if the seller accepts. If not, just let other fools be quickly parted with thier money.

Kind of like I've heard from many cops about guys they've pulled over weaving all over the place, it's always "two beers" they've had!

I think for guns it's "Less than 100 rounds".

SteyrAUG
11-30-21, 21:45
I do have a few nicer rifles / carbines / barrels that WERE actually test fired before getting sent my way. Generally those came with their test target included and a card with notes and names on it. (who checked off on what and what was fired at what distance blah, blah, blah)

Have bough some pistols that included a fired casing / casings in an envelope from the factory tucked somewhere inside the factory case...

Yep, those are the only ones. All of my old HK rifles came with test targets. I don't think I've ever seen one with a Colt AR rifle.

Glock started that ballistic fingerprint crap so for years they came with a couple spent casings.

But the main point is you can't buy a NEW gun, shoot two boxes of ammo through it and then try and resell it as a NEW gun.

I've had a couple rifles I bought that I just fell out of love with. But when I sold them they were sold as "excellent condition" and I noted "100 rounds fired by me with no failures" and then I cleaned it. People who sell dirty used guns are just damn lazy.

And if I'm not the original owner, I won't even try and guess round counts. But again this is pretty easy stuff and if grown ups would just act like grown ups.

SteyrAUG
11-30-21, 21:48
Kind of like I've heard from many cops about guys they've pulled over weaving all over the place, it's always "two beers" they've had!

I think for guns it's "Less than 100 rounds".

For me sometimes it is. I know within 100 rounds if a rifle or handgun just isn't floating my boat. But yeah, 90% of the time it's internet BS just like all guns will only take "two weeks" to repair or get restocked. I think I'm still waiting on a few firearms to become available from 10+ years ago that were promised to me in "two weeks."

Jellybean
12-01-21, 00:45
The great thing about places like the EE is you're always free to make an offer...
Just don't get butthurt if someone shoots it down if it's ridiculously low.

Reselling on forums and swap sites and such is complicated... you see, you start out with wonderful naive ideas of finding great deals and helping other people out.
Then....you get hit in the face with reality, and the reality is, people suck. These motherf***ers that hang out on the resale sites.... buncha damn savages who will pop out of the bushes and scalp the shit out of you, just to pick your pockets for 2.75 in savings. Then as Steyr said, suddenly when they're selling stuff, it's worth every damn cent and how dast thou lowball me, insolent varlet!
Needless to say, those of us who have been dealing with the barrel of entitled monkeys that is the shooting community, have grown weary of such antics, got sick of practically giving shit away just to see the next guy sell their widget for damn near retail, and have re-oriented our sales models accordingly.
So, alas and forsooth my good friend, the days of people giving a crap about 'helpin a brotha out' are long over. Unless, like, you get in tight with someone who just loves the shit out of you or something and will send you free stuff because reasons...
Also, yeah, new is still new. I've had people try that nonsense on me before to try and guilt-trip you into selling for a WAY lower price than is sane. The only reason anyone sells obviously new items at lower than retail is simply that they want to get rid of it.
As always, a dead ringer for a 'kick you in the nuts' lowballer is the guy complaining the loudest about your prices - they know you know what the item is worth, and are mad because they know they can't sucker you into taking 50% for an item you ALREADY had listed for 50% of retail.
Then you have the plain old cheap bastards, of which you'll never find so many outside the shooting community.
One time I had a guy offer me $17 for an item I was already selling for $20 shipped. Like, really bro? 3 bucks was worth bothering me with an offer?

A couple things that also might play into some of the prices these days:
- There is still a good bit of demand for certain items, even though the market has slumped really hard for most stuff
- Some people are staring their prices a little high both to have room to haggle with the wheeler-dealers, as well as to ward off idiots and tirekickers
- Depending on where you are from an item, some people may be more inclined to haggle on the price if you are close to their state (shipping) or will pick it up FTF. Like, if a buyer is only a couple states over and I can save a pile on shipping, I'll usually chop the price down by at least whatever I saved, VS, say, someone clear across the country probably isn't going to see much of a break.
-$20 is about a cheap as someone can sell a [small] item for, eat the shipping/PP fees, and expect to make any sort of profit. Because it's impossible to ever get anyone to chip in on either, and most folks selling expect to eat both, this can also be a reason some prices seem a little less awesome - if they expect to take a big hit between those two.
- Not sure about others, but personally, I'm more likely to cut someone a deal here, than anywhere else, just cuz folks here have provided a lot of useful info over the years, and are generally less assholeistic to deal with.

SteyrAUG
12-01-21, 01:13
Things I have learned being a FFL since the late 90s.

People talk a lot of shit but let somebody have something $1 cheaper and everyone will try and buy it at Buds. Despite the fact that there are a million "worst customer service ever" threads regarding Buds and Botach, 75% of the internet will still buy there instead if it's $1 cheaper.

The lower the price items you sell, the more you are gonna deal with broke dick jackasses who expect the world because they are spending $450 on a handgun and it's the first NEW firearm they've ever bought in their life. They treat their first Glock purchase as if they won the lottery and are shopping at your Ferarri dealership. They would fall over and die if they really knew you were only making $8 on the sale, they really do believe there is some super, secret FFL only pricing for new Glocks at $210 each.

I have a Pain In My F'ing Ass surcharge. It fluctuates accordingly. Yes sir, the Glock really is $895.00...yes sir I completely understand you can buy it elsewhere a LOT cheaper.

The people who rant THE MOST about communism suddenly want me to become a community gun dealer because it supports second amendment freedom fighters and what kind of ahole would think about profiting from that? I mean isn't it my obligation to sell such valiant, internet activists firearms AT COST or even better at BELOW COST because internet activism is almost the same as military service and they give those guys guns for free. They are after all...defending capitalism, even if they don't agree with it right now...on the purchase of a firearm. It's the philosophical idea of capitalism they are defending.

People who spend $20,000 on a transferable M-16 don't bust your balls about your USGI magazines being $18 when they have seen them on the internet for $16. They also don't call you every three days asking "IS IT IN YET?!?", they know how Form 4s work and you signed the "I Do" thing which lets them call NFA directly and check status, but even most of those guys know to just watch their bank account and see if the check has been cashed yet.

If I'm going to give a price break to anyone, it's going to be the guy who buys 6-10 firearms a year, not the guy who buys one firearm every 6-10 years.

If you buy a gun from me below MSRP and then try to sell it to me 3 years later for more than you paid for it, I will block your phone number.

Some people take this shit way too seriously.

ABNAK
12-01-21, 16:34
I was selling a firearm one time a number of years ago, think it was on TOS (go figure). It wasn't cheap, although I don't recall exactly what it was. Suffice it to say it was priced to move. I got an "offer" from a guy who actually took the time to type out a long-ass list of crap like slings, crappy bayonets for an AK or SKS, obscure pistol magazines for guns nobody shoots anymore, more slings, holsters, basically garbage I had no interest in. It was like he cleaned out his garage or his wife made him clean out his closet or the basement. He had typed a price by each item. No doubt he cut-and-pasted this list numerous times as he attempted in vain to dump his junk on someone in the hopes of getting said gun for a significant price reduction. I didn't reply to his asinine "offer" but almost told him publicly that I had no interest in his mildewed bits and pieces of JUNK.

Averageman
12-01-21, 18:13
Yep, those are the only ones. All of my old HK rifles came with test targets. I don't think I've ever seen one with a Colt AR rifle.

Glock started that ballistic fingerprint crap so for years they came with a couple spent casings.

But the main point is you can't buy a NEW gun, shoot two boxes of ammo through it and then try and resell it as a NEW gun.

I've had a couple rifles I bought that I just fell out of love with. But when I sold them they were sold as "excellent condition" and I noted "100 rounds fired by me with no failures" and then I cleaned it. People who sell dirty used guns are just damn lazy.

And if I'm not the original owner, I won't even try and guess round counts. But again this is pretty easy stuff and if grown ups would just act like grown ups.

I bought a Sig Sauer rifle that came with a Bogus Test Target. How do I know it was bogus? The barrel was installed wrong and couldn't possibly zero, even at ten yards.

.45fan
12-01-21, 18:48
The part in bold - Bull Crap.

If I buy a new firearm and never shoot it - It is still a new firearm.

Likewise with respect to parts - I have a metric crap ton of spare parts in my toolboxes and stacked on shelves. They could be months old or years old but if they have never been 'used' they are still 'new' parts. When you buy parts from a vendor do you ask when they received them so you can determine if they are really 'new' or not or do you not give a darn how long they may have been sitting on a shelf or in a warehouse??? 'Unused' is the same exact thing as 'new' for all practical purposes here friend.

Example: I recently bought a bunch of Colt hand guards that they stopped making in the late 90's. Yeah, they were made in the 90's but they were still brand new parts from Colt sealed in the original bags and had never been 'used'...

Next part of what you said is not really true either. If I buy a new firearm to add to my collection and they stop making them soon after (or for whatever reason they become harder to find for the average joe blow) - Well, If you want to buy the one I have it is going to cost you more than what they 'used' to cost. If you don't like my price then go find it somewhere else (knowing that particular item may not be in stock elsewhere).

The EE here is not some sort of charity thing where guys should be expected to take a loss on things are wanting to sell and not receive fair market value. If 'you' choose to sell your stuff there at a loss that is your business but most are not going to go down that road with you.

In regards to the part I made bold, I agree with you but if you read gun forums enough you will learn that as a group "gun owners" are one of the cheapest groups I've ever seen.

You can price something low and a moron will still try to offer less money. Cheapskates call it "bartering" I call it being a cheapskate.

Example, I put a unfired first gen S&W shield on armslist for $150 and had the first 4 emails offering less.
That proves to me that it just isn't worth selling stuff, I'll throw something away as opposed to listing it for sale anymore because of the cheap a holes that respond.

ABNAK
12-01-21, 19:01
In regards to the part I made bold, I agree with you but if you read gun forums enough you will learn that as a group "gun owners" are one of the cheapest groups I've ever seen.

You can price something low and a moron will still try to offer less money. Cheapskates call it "bartering" I call it being a cheapskate.

Example, I put a unfired first gen S&W shield on armslist for $150 and had the first 4 emails offering less.
That proves to me that it just isn't worth selling stuff, I'll throw something away as opposed to listing it for sale anymore because of the cheap a holes that respond.

I can see people asking a sky-high price for something as the potential buyers have a strong "bartering" streak in them, like it's a Middle Eastern bazaar. I don't "enjoy" that. Some get off on a $50 reduction in price. I can certainly see someone asking $1000 for a "lightly used" 6920.

SteyrAUG
12-01-21, 19:42
I bought a Sig Sauer rifle that came with a Bogus Test Target. How do I know it was bogus? The barrel was installed wrong and couldn't possibly zero, even at ten yards.

That's actually pretty funny and sad. Was this a SIG USA rifle?

SteyrAUG
12-01-21, 19:51

The sad truth is most gun owners don't feel good about a transaction unless they feel like they screwed someone over.

If a gun is worth about $1,000 and is sold for about $1,000 most of these jackasses feel bad regardless of if they were the buyer or seller.

However if a gun is worth $1,000 and the seller gets $1,500 for it because somebody confused t with something more valuable, then the seller views the transaction as the greatest deal he's ever been involved in. Conversely if a buyer confuses the same item as being worth $1,500 and believes they "stole it" for only $1,000 they also feel it is the greatest deal they've ever been involved in.

There are some true shitheads in the so called firearms industry and I've seen reprehensible shit on both sides of the table.

There was a time I bought some rifle for $200 above my FFL price simply because somebody had one and I didn't want to wait. When a couple other dealers found out they first thought I was an idiot who didn't know the FFL price was a lot cheaper, but when I explained I didn't care what it cost because I was NEVER gonna sell it anyway they couldn't even relate to that kind of thinking.

There are still good guys here and there of course but they days of "most people" just trying to get a "fair deal" are mostly over.

SteyrAUG
12-01-21, 19:54
I can see people asking a sky-high price for something as the potential buyers have a strong "bartering" streak in them, like it's a Middle Eastern bazaar. I don't "enjoy" that. Some get off on a $50 reduction in price. I can certainly see someone asking $1000 for a "lightly used" 6920.

That's one nice thing about GB, you see what things are actually worth. Lot's of 0 bid ARs with asking prices of $2,500 that haven't moved in almost a year, and a handful of things actually selling because it was a $1 start auction. Lots of other stuff with 28 bids but still haven't met the reserve and NEVER will.

.45fan
12-01-21, 20:11
The sad truth is most gun owners don't feel good about a transaction unless they feel like they screwed someone over.

If a gun is worth about $1,000 and is sold for about $1,000 most of these jackasses feel bad regardless of if they were the buyer or seller.

However if a gun is worth $1,000 and the seller gets $1,500 for it because somebody confused t with something more valuable, then the seller views the transaction as the greatest deal he's ever been involved in. Conversely if a buyer confuses the same item as being worth $1,500 and believes they "stole it" for only $1,000 they also feel it is the greatest deal they've ever been involved in.

There are some true shitheads in the so called firearms industry and I've seen reprehensible shit on both sides of the table.

There was a time I bought some rifle for $200 above my FFL price simply because somebody had one and I didn't want to wait. When a couple other dealers found out they first thought I was an idiot who didn't know the FFL price was a lot cheaper, but when I explained I didn't care what it cost because I was NEVER gonna sell it anyway they couldn't even relate to that kind of thinking.

There are still good guys here and there of course but they days of "most people" just trying to get a "fair deal" are mostly over.Thank you, I agree 100%.

HKGuns
12-01-21, 22:33
Things I have learned being a FFL since the late 90s.

I have a Pain In My F'ing Ass surcharge. It fluctuates accordingly. Yes sir, the Glock really is $895.00...yes sir I completely understand you can buy it elsewhere a LOT cheaper.

You left out one part..................and I hope you go there and buy it. There are some people who are absolutely not worth the transaction.

The people who rant THE MOST about communism suddenly want me to become a community gun dealer because it supports second amendment freedom fighters and what kind of ahole would think about profiting from that? I mean isn't it my obligation to sell such valiant, internet activists firearms AT COST or even better at BELOW COST because internet activism is almost the same as military service and they give those guys guns for free. They are after all...defending capitalism, even if they don't agree with it right now...on the purchase of a firearm. It's the philosophical idea of capitalism they are defending.

Yep, capitalism is great until you're too stupid to realize someone else needs to make a living too. This exact scenario played out in a thread I recently started in the technical section. Where an honest contributor to this industry was called out for trying to make a profit on something when he actually wasn't.

Unbelievable......and the stuff that ignore lists are made of I tell ya.

Averageman
12-02-21, 00:20
That's actually pretty funny and sad. Was this a SIG USA rifle?

Yes and apparently being a Beta tester of these pieces of crap, I got what I deserved, two in a row that sucked balls.

SteyrAUG
12-02-21, 02:37
Yes and apparently being a Beta tester of these pieces of crap, I got what I deserved, two in a row that sucked balls.

Yeah, SIG USA started putting out bottom feeder crap about the same time they debuted that SIG 556 POS rifle that we were all hoping was gonna be a domestic 550. Test target on a rifle not capable of firing might be in the top 10 pathetic things I've ever heard about a company that presumes to be a manufacturer of high end firearms.

pinzgauer
12-02-21, 07:31
Those who say NIB is new are totally ignoring the fact that many manufacturers will not warranty an item bought from an individual.

Especially firearms for anything other than blatant defects and companies like Ruger for Blackhawks.

You don't have what they would consider acceptable proof of purchase.

Of course that's when someone's going to chime in and say that's why they only buy from XYZ company who will warranty anything.

But the fact remains that for many items new warranty doesn't transfer to the second owner unless the warranty explicitly states that or the company is an exceptional one.

I see items by some of the posters in this thread that I look at and say that's 80% of new, why would I save $5-10 on a used item on a forum when I can order the same thing online new for just slightly more.

Unless it's "like new" and saving me a minimum of 20 to 40 bucks over new I'll just get new, thank you.

But I've also gotten some great deals on EE and think it's a useful thing.

I see a lot of hot rod syndrome in equipment exchange firearms, people listing a frankengun that was their dream build for the sum of all of its parts. When like hot rods, rarely is that a dream build for someone else and you pretty much never get the money out of a custom build that you put into it.

Even face to face there is risk buying firearms used from someone you do not know. (Not a dealer) There are ways to mitigate that, but it's still a risk. I have called the local PD a couple of times and had them run the serial number on a firearm I was considering buying face to face to ensure it was not stolen.

But I've bought multiple packs and higher end web gear for very reasonable prices on EE. It was a service to both of us.

donlapalma
12-02-21, 08:24
Those who say NIB is new are totally ignoring the fact that many manufacturers will not warranty an item bought from an individual.

Especially firearms for anything other than blatant defects and companies like Ruger for Blackhawks.

You don't have what they would consider acceptable proof of purchase.

Of course that's when someone's going to chime in and say that's why they only buy from XYZ company who will warranty anything.

But the fact remains that for many items new warranty doesn't transfer to the second owner unless the warranty explicitly states that or the company is an exceptional one.

I see items by some of the posters in this thread that I look at and say that's 80% of new, why would I save $5-10 on a used item on a forum when I can order the same thing online new for just slightly more.

Unless it's "like new" and saving me a minimum of 20 to 40 bucks over new I'll just get new, thank you.

But I've also gotten some great deals on EE and think it's a useful thing.

I see a lot of hot rod syndrome in equipment exchange firearms, people listing a frankengun that was their dream build for the sum of all of its parts. When like hot rods, rarely is that a dream build for someone else and you pretty much never get the money out of a custom build that you put into it.

Even face to face there is risk buying firearms used from someone you do not know. (Not a dealer) There are ways to mitigate that, but it's still a risk. I have called the local PD a couple of times and had them run the serial number on a firearm I was considering buying face to face to ensure it was not stolen.

But I've bought multiple packs and higher end web gear for very reasonable prices on EE. It was a service to both of us.This. Thanks for typing that. Took the words right out of my head and said much better than I could have.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
12-02-21, 16:04

So that one is kinda easy, if you are buying from an individual who is not a FFL, then obviously you won't be the original owner. And just because you buy from a gun store, doesn't mean it's factory new and you will be the original owner. Plenty of gun stores buy guns in "like new" condition from people who fell out of love with them and they advertise them as "new" in many cases.

So one of the questions everyone needs to ask is "is this new with warranty?"

pinzgauer
12-02-21, 16:31
So that one is kinda easy, if you are buying from an individual who is not a FFL, then obviously you won't be the original owner. And just because you buy from a gun store, doesn't mean it's factory new and you will be the original owner. Plenty of gun stores buy guns in "like new" condition from people who fell out of love with them and they advertise them as "new" in many cases.

So one of the questions everyone needs to ask is "is this new with warranty?"You are right. I generally go out of my way to buy them in the factory box with factory condition. (Lube, anti-rest inserts, gazillion safety briefings and tags, etc.)

All the dealers I know who sell new keep the box and if pressed can show a distributor purchase.

As you would know, virtually no firearms dealers are direct with the manufacturer unless you're a megastore and even that's often through a distributor.

You might get away with a vortex or BCM second hand getting it warranted. Some other high name scopes and well-known red dots will require proof of purchase of new product. S&W and similar, you'll have a hard time even with proof of purchase. (Just ask a bunch of alloy frame 9mm wunderklicken owners with cracked frames even with light use). And model 29 owners who try to use it for something like IHMSA competition.

There are people who will pay a premium for face-to-face sales. The fact they will do so might should make you nervous, though I know some solid people who that's all they buy. At times I've bought and sold face to face where it makes sense.

DG23
12-02-21, 22:30
That's one nice thing about GB, you see what things are actually worth.

Not exactly.

GB will tell you what things are worth at a particular moment in time to particular people.

You and I have both seen the same thing play out there over the years with bullets, magazines, firearms, etc. to varying degrees of stupidity depending on what the particular 'panic of the day' was.

SteyrAUG
12-03-21, 00:32
Not exactly.

GB will tell you what things are worth at a particular moment in time to particular people.

You and I have both seen the same thing play out there over the years with bullets, magazines, firearms, etc. to varying degrees of stupidity depending on what the particular 'panic of the day' was.

I just assumed everyone knew that was implied. GB sales from 2001 won't apply. If you are tracking GB in real time, you are seeing current data. What things are actually selling for...what things aren't moving because they are priced too high and what is just junk.

And if people from GA are buying everything from 40 other states then that's still about what it's worth because people in GA will consider buying your stuff if it's in demand and priced right.

rushca01
12-03-21, 06:48
I’ve always had good luck here and on the various forums. You have to know what you are looking for and what the current market price is and what your personal expectations are. Some sellers are very “generous” with their descriptions and I just ignore those sellers like the guy listing all the Colt parts.

If you think it’s bad in the gun world you should try the watch world….things like “like new” “unpolished” “NOS” etc…are used to describe watches that sometimes clearly show signs of previous polishing and signs of general wear, it’s frustrating.