PDA

View Full Version : Dillon woth the extra cost?

jrcii
11-30-21, 20:00
Hello All,

I'm planning on starting to reload (great timing I know). In two weeks I'll have the opportunity to buy some Hornady kits at dealer cost. I was definitely going to get the Classic Kit https://www.hornady.com/reloading/presses/lock-n-load-classic#!/. I was also seriously thinking about the AP kit https://www.hornady.com/reloading/presses/lock-n-load-ap#!/.

My problem is that, for progressive, I really want a Dillon 550. But, I can't get one of those for cheap.

I'm pretty sure that the Dillon is a better press than the Hornady. But, is it better enough to pay full retail on it vs dealer price on the Hornday?

Any advice you have would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

JRC

JiminAZ
11-30-21, 20:11
I have no experience with the Hornady equipment so can't comment on their relative quality/function.

I have two Dillon 550's. Only you can decide if it is "worth it" but for me it has been. They send parts for free, even if I break it and I tell them no, its my fault I broke it. And the design is robust enough that I rarely break or wear something out.

I bought my second one used. When it arrived it was clearly worn out. Called Dillon and told them the situation. Was very clear I bought it used from someone else and it was flat out loose and worn out. They said send it in we will rebuild it. Two weeks later I had an as new press. Total cost to me was one way shipment to Dillon. They rebuilt it and sent it back on their nickel.

The weak point of the 550 is the primer feed. That's my only complaint. But I have found ways to manage it.

Nowadays I live less than 5 miles from Dillon, so it's even better!

glocktogo
11-30-21, 20:24
Dillon has been so good to me that I can’t not recommend them when this question comes up. I will say that I really like Hornady’s dies and quite a few reside on my various Dillon 550 toolheads.

MWAG19919
11-30-21, 20:36
I don't have experience with the Hornady, but my experience with Dillon has been outstanding. The few times I've had small parts breakage (2x it was the E clip for the spring loaded decapper, 1x it was my fault that I damaged the indexing spring) they've known the part number off the top of their head, and if I called before noon it was sent via mail THAT day.

Dillon doesn't have several irons in the fire (unlike Hornady who makes presses, bullets, ammunition, etc). They really do one thing: make reloading equipment. For that reason their tech support is top notch because it seems—to me at least—that everyone is on the same page and extremely knowledgeable.

I will say that, for the money, their strong mount is not as robust or versatile as the Inline Fabrication mounts. I'd consider that route unless you already have a mounting solution in mind...

ubet
11-30-21, 20:56
Dillon is the only answer. Hornady is on par with lee compared to Dillon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mRad
11-30-21, 22:08
The Hornady LNL AP is more on par to the XL750. The 550 is a different animal.

HKGuns
11-30-21, 22:23
I use the Hornady LNL AP for pistol and the Hornady Iron for rifle and both work well for me.

I don’t have experience with Dillon. I did look at Dillon before purchasing the LNL AP but I couldn’t tell you why I chose Hornady as it’s been so long.

I use Redding dies almost exclusively where they support the calibers I shoot. I think the one exception is Hornady dies for 450BM.

223to45
11-30-21, 23:43
Honestly I think you would be fine with either. I am probably Bias toward Dillon since that is what I run.

I only have 25K rounds through the dillon , but have been issue free.

Right now it might be what ever you can find.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Vegas
12-01-21, 00:35
Yes, their service and warranty replacement parts are a good reason before you even get to their operation. Especially for the 650/750. The 550 seems to get a little less wear due to non auto indexing. At least in my experience.

Delta-3
12-01-21, 01:13
You can't go wrong with a Dillon press. Their CS is great. I will say the same for RCBS both in quality & CS.

mRad
12-01-21, 02:14
The Hornady parts replacement and CS is as good as Dillon. It’s whether you can stand that whole vaccine mess…

Bullz
12-01-21, 13:22
I reload for competition and I would shoot 500 - 1k rounds per month prior to the recent panic. I've been using a Hornady AP for about 7 or 8 years now, cranking out thousands of rounds per year across various calibers. I use it for pistol loads (9mm, 38, 44, 45) and 5.56 and 300blk. It's smooth, durable and does it's job. I also use Lee single stage for precision large caliber loads. I started out on a Dillon, which my friend coached me on and let me borrow for a while - and it was great. I bought the Hornady because, like you, I could get it at cost (plus it came with a lot of bullets with a rebate 500 or 1k, something like that).

The Dillon is probably the better press, but I'm honestly not sure I would do it any differently if I could. The Hornady is very easy and quick to switch between calibers and with a couple mods (check YouTube) you can get the press to move really fast. My 5.56 loads are sub moa right off the press, which is good enough for the matches I shoot - CMP, NRA High power, etc.

But here's the thing... My press paid for itself in the first months of use. The Dillon would have been the same, just a little longer. Just as an example, I was getting match grade 5.56 using 77gr SMK or Nosler Custom Comps for around 25 - 30 cents per round, compared to Black Hills at about $1 a pull. That saved $700 per 1k rounds. Again, pre panic pricing, I was loading 45 for about 10 cents per round, compared to about 30 cents for factory ammo ~ $200 savings per 1k. I never saved much on 9mm when I could buy a box for $7 or $8.

So my advice is this: if you want the Dillon, just do it because it will eventually pay for itself. If you end up going with the Hornady, you'll be fine with that too. Either way, study some credible YouTube videos or sit down with an experienced hand loader to learn your way around the equipment before you jump in with both feet.

markm
12-01-21, 13:27
But here's the thing... My press paid for itself in the first months of use. The Dillon would have been the same, just a little longer. Just as an example, I was getting match grade 5.56 using 77gr SMK or Nosler Custom Comps for around 25 - 30 cents per round, compared to Black Hills at about $1 a pull. That saved $700 per 1k rounds.

And you'll likely NEVER or RARELY shoot crappy 55 gr junk again. Once you can load all the good ammo you want, you never want to waste any time loading or shooting dog poop 3-4 moa garbage.

DG23
12-01-21, 19:43
Hello All,

I'm planning on starting to reload (great timing I know). In two weeks I'll have the opportunity to buy some Hornady kits at dealer cost.

SNIP...

But, is it better enough to pay full retail on it vs dealer price on the Hornday?

Any advice you have would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

JRC

I would opt for going dealer cost route if I were in your shoes. The money you save can go to other stuff you will be wanting / needing soon.

Thinking about the smaller tools / accessories here.

fedupflyer
12-01-21, 21:32
The only regret I gave about buying a Dillion 650 is I wished I would have ponied up a bought the 1050 instead.
That swaging function is huge bonus.

PatEgan
12-04-21, 00:05
I've owned both, and would go with the Dillon.
I loaded on a Hornady LNL AP for years and had constant issues with it, and even wound up priming off-press. About two years ago I finally sold it and invested in a Dillon 550C. As far as I'm concerned, it's head and shoulders above the LNL AP and I wish I would have chosen the 550 to begin with.

FWIW, I load all of my old military surplus calibers on a single stage, and keep the high mileage calibers on the 550C.

glocktogo
12-04-21, 00:32
The only regret I gave about buying a Dillion 650 is I wished I would have ponied up a bought the 1050 instead.
That swaging function is huge bonus.

If someone is loading a buttload of 5.56, the 1050 would be completely worth the extra coin.

BoxySatch
12-04-21, 07:36
Dillon is the only answer. Hornady is on par with lee compared to Dillon.

I have a Hornady LNL progressive that was a constant problem with parts failure etc. Case feeder crapped out every 200 reds pistol ammo. I bought a Dillon 1050 for 9mm and it runs very well. Occasionally something will require maintenance but for progressive presses Dillon Dillon Dillon. For single stage press RCBS or Hornady.

mRad
12-04-21, 08:03
I have loaded approximately 100,000 rounds on Hornady LNL, most of which were one unit setup for 9mm. Only parts I’ve broken were retaining springs and the plastic piece that holds the primer guide on when a piece of primer made it’s way into the primer chute tract.

The Hornady press runs great once tuned. It is a pain to tune.

HKGuns
12-04-21, 08:46
I have loaded approximately 100,000 rounds on Hornady LNL, most of which were one unit setup for 9mm. Only parts I’ve broken were retaining springs and the plastic piece that holds the primer guide on when a piece of primer made it’s way into the primer chute tract.

The Hornady press runs great once tuned. It is a pain to tune.

This has been my experience as well. I have a separate powder drop for 9mm and 45ACP which greatly simplifies changeover.

mRad
12-04-21, 09:03
This has been my experience as well. I have a separate powder drop for 9mm and 45ACP which greatly simplifies changeover.

I need to get a third one. I initially had a separate press for each, but then I started doing rifle ammo on one because it made such good ammo. I’ve been keeping one set for pistol and one for rifle lately.

exkc135driver
12-04-21, 19:58
I have an ancient Lyman turret press (haven’t used it in decades), a Rockchucker, a Harrell’s, and a 650. I have no experience with Hornady. For precision rifle loads where each case is carefully prepped, each charge weighed, and I don’t need more than 100 or so, I use the Harrell’s or maybe the Rockchucker. But for mass production of good rifle or pistol ammunition using a hand-operated press, you can’t beat a Dillon.

The USPSA collects data from each competitor in its national matches and publishes the details of what equipment was used. For those using reloaded ammo, Dillon presses always outnumber all of the other brands combined. For example, for the 2019 national matches the top 3 press manufacturers were:

Open division: Dillon 71%, Mark 7 20%, Hornady 3%
Carry Optics division: Dillon 53%, Mark 7 5%, Hornady 4%
PCC division: Dillon 54%, Hornady 6%, Mark 7 4%
Production division: Dillon 57%, Hornady 4%, Mark 7 3%
Single Stack division: Dillon 82%, Mark 7 11%, Hornady 4%
Limited division: Dillon 67%, Mark 7 6%, Hornady 2%
Revolver division: Dillon 85%, Hornady 7%, Mark 7 4%

These numbers do not add up to 100%, and of course only pistol ammunition was used … but still, the preference among high-volume shooters is clear.

Bimmer
12-08-21, 18:17
My problem is that, for progressive, I really want a Dillon 550. But, I can't get one of those for cheap.

That says a lot about the market value of Dillon vs.

The weak point of the 550 is the primer feed. That's my only complaint.

I keep hearing this, but I've done tens of thousands of rounds on my 550B, and I've never (knock wood) had a problem the primer feed...

If you want the Dillon, just do it because it will eventually pay for itself...

Amen, and never mind the CS (which I've never needed), but for me the Dillon just seems better thought out than anything else out there.

Example: I started with whatever dies, but having tried Dillon's dies, they're so much more user-friendly (the clean-out function alone) that I'm now selling my other dies and replacing them with Dillon's.

For example, for the 2019 national matches the top 3 press manufacturers were:

Open division: Dillon 71%, Mark 7 20%, Hornady 3%
Carry Optics division: Dillon 53%, Mark 7 5%, Hornady 4%
PCC division: Dillon 54%, Hornady 6%, Mark 7 4%
Production division: Dillon 57%, Hornady 4%, Mark 7 3%
Single Stack division: Dillon 82%, Mark 7 11%, Hornady 4%
Limited division: Dillon 67%, Mark 7 6%, Hornady 2%
Revolver division: Dillon 85%, Hornady 7%, Mark 7 4%

Right, and AFAIK Dillon doesn't sponsor shooters.

How many of those Hornady users are using a Hornady for the same reason they're also wearing Hornady shirts?

Bimmer
12-08-21, 18:18
Double-tap...

mRad
12-08-21, 18:37
One of the reason so many use the Dillon is the available auto-drives. None of that exists for Hornady, RCBS, etc.

The reality is both Dillon and Hornady have their pros and cons. Both have their quirks. I’m rather ticked off at Hornady lately, but I’ve had no problems with their pressed. A friend of mine has the Dillon 650 XL and I have two LNL APs. Every time we run his press there is something out of tune needing a little attention, while my AP is chugging away. He experiences primer problems and a case feeder that is finicky. My AP’s biggest problem is weak ejection where rounds may trickle to the floor rather than make it to the bin. I get the occasional primer chute issue if powder makes its way into the track.

Ricardo China
12-10-21, 19:23
Yes, Dillon is worth the extra price.
Go Dillon.
Buy once, cry once.

simonp67
12-17-21, 19:05
I have two 650’s and can’t say enough good things about Dillon, worth the price in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DMTJAGER
12-22-21, 13:26
I reload for competition and I would shoot 500 - 1k rounds per month prior to the recent panic. I've been using a Hornady AP for about 7 or 8 years now, cranking out thousands of rounds per year across various calibers. I use it for pistol loads (9mm, 38, 44, 45) and 5.56 and 300blk. It's smooth, durable and does it's job. I also use Lee single stage for precision large caliber loads. I started out on a Dillon, which my friend coached me on and let me borrow for a while - and it was great. I bought the Hornady because, like you, I could get it at cost (plus it came with a lot of bullets with a rebate 500 or 1k, something like that).

The Dillon is probably the better press, but I'm honestly not sure I would do it any differently if I could. The Hornady is very easy and quick to switch between calibers and with a couple mods (check YouTube) you can get the press to move really fast. My 5.56 loads are sub moa right off the press, which is good enough for the matches I shoot - CMP, NRA High power, etc.

But here's the thing... My press paid for itself in the first months of use. The Dillon would have been the same, just a little longer. Just as an example, I was getting match grade 5.56 using 77gr SMK or Nosler Custom Comps for around 25 - 30 cents per round, compared to Black Hills at about $1 a pull. That saved $700 per 1k rounds. Again, pre panic pricing, I was loading 45 for about 10 cents per round, compared to about 30 cents for factory ammo ~ $200 savings per 1k. I never saved much on 9mm when I could buy a box for $7 or $8.

So my advice is this: if you want the Dillon, just do it because it will eventually pay for itself. If you end up going with the Hornady, you'll be fine with that too. Either way, study some credible YouTube videos or sit down with an experienced hand loader to learn your way around the equipment before you jump in with both feet.

Like EVERYTHING it comes down to what you want + what you must accomplish VS costs.
For the $$$ when I bought my Hornady LNL progressive it was cheaper in all respects than 650XL and better in all respects than 550 and IMHO a better deal than a SQDB.
I also own a Horandy LnL processive press, and while I don't reload 1-3K loads per month on it more like 300 and my experience mirrors his^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes a few hours at YouTube will solve all your LnL issues. What I did was to pre-prime all my brass and that in of itself solved 90%+ of all my LnL problems.
I also own three Lee Classic 4 hole turret presses one is for 9mm, one is for 45acp and one for 38/357 each was 100% ready to reload with OTD with dies was under $200 each at my LGS. My Lee 4HCTP's work great and I can easily crank out 300 rounds of 9mm, 45, and 38spl per hour effortlessly. Yes the drum powder dispenser did leak ever so slightly but a YouTube video showed a extremely simple mod that reduced the leaking by at least 99%. I paid $193 OTD you can not beat that price to be able to reload high quality HG ammo at a rate of 300 rounds an hour.

FOR ME I'd rather have Three Lee C4HTP's and a Hornady LnL than one Dillon 750XL which a new 750XL set up the reload one rifle and 3 HG cost at least as much as my four presses did and I don't have to change or set anything up I just start making ammo.

Absolutely no argument Dillion is 1st rate equipment, and likely slightly better than Hornady but not IMO by a significant amount. Both the 650XL and Hornady LnL have quarks and issues and both have a definite learning curve to master using them and both are great at cranking out high quality high volumes of ammo.

Just pick one and invest the time to set tit up and LEARN really LEARN how to use it BEFORE you use it and you will be very satisfied with the results.

themonk
12-22-21, 14:34
This is one of those areas I would highly recommend doing research outside of forums. Asking about reloading equipment (what press is best) on a forum is like asking about suppressors. People generally have only tried the one they own and they will always tell you its the best.

Disciple
12-22-21, 16:46
People generally have only tried the one they own and they will always tell you its the best.

Why would that be any different outside of forums? People do that face to face too.

themonk
12-22-21, 17:00
Why would that be any different outside of forums? People do that face to face too.

There are a number of blogs and YouTube cannels that have purchased a number of different presses and compared them all.

Aaron_B
12-22-21, 21:22
Dillon seems to be the way to go. I have used a 550 for about 8 years now. The same time I got my 550 a close friend had got a Hornady LnL. He had nothing but issues with it. After us both messing with the LnL trying to figure it out, he ended up just using my dillon. I am looking at buying to buy a second 550 now.

mRad
12-23-21, 13:59
Dillon seems to be the way to go. I have used a 550 for about 8 years now. The same time I got my 550 a close friend had got a Hornady LnL. He had nothing but issues with it. After us both messing with the LnL trying to figure it out, he ended up just using my dillon. I am looking at buying to buy a second 550 now.

What sort of issues?

550 isn’t really comparable in function to 750 or the LNL.

Aaron_B
12-23-21, 21:53
What sort of issues?

550 isn’t really comparable in function to 750 or the LNL.

I honestly don't remember. I want to say it was an indexing problem. He returned everything after messing around with it for a while even after talking with hornady CS about it.

mRad
12-24-21, 00:18
I honestly don't remember. I want to say it was an indexing problem. He returned everything after messing around with it for a while even after talking with hornady CS about it.

Indexing is adjustable. Lots of dudes interpret the adjustments backwards so I could definitely see that.

duece71
12-25-21, 19:38
I love my 550b, I plan on getting another 550c to load .223, if and when my carbide dies ever arrive. Sometime next year is what Dillion told me. Yikes. More than paid for itself with the amount I shoot.

markm
12-26-21, 08:02
My 550b has seen almost 30 years of consistent use. The press itself is still as solid as day one. The priming system was always "American Mediocrity" and hasn't been enabled in over a decade. Mine is 95% .223 loading these days with a pistol batch run every year or so just to break the monotony.

I've only tried the LNL single stage. I wore that out, but in fairness the main press shaft was too small for my volume and I ran the piss out of it.

I love the LNL bushing system for my current single stage.

mRad
12-26-21, 20:24
My 550b has seen almost 30 years of consistent use. The press itself is still as solid as day one. The priming system was always "American Mediocrity" and hasn't been enabled in over a decade. Mine is 95% .223 loading these days with a pistol batch run every year or so just to break the monotony.

I've only tried the LNL single stage. I wore that out, but in fairness the main press shaft was too small for my volume and I ran the piss out of it.

I love the LNL bushing system for my current single stage.

I’m on about 110k rounds of 9mm on a LNL AP. About 14k rounds of 5.56 on another. Both growing strong.

ARx3
12-27-21, 20:43
I started reloading in 1978 on a Lyman Spar-T Expert Kit along with a RCBS Rock Chucker. In late 1979 I bought my first Dillon 450B. In 1988 I had a friend sale me a 550 complete with 2 sets of dies and caliber conversions for $250. I liked it so well that when another friend and fellow competitive pistol shooter just had to upgrade to a XL650
I bought his "old" 550B for $250. I came across a "used BL550 that had been upgraded to a 550B with a Strong Mount for $275.To say that I love my Dillon's is a understatement. Dillon CS for me has been great the few times I have needed it in the 43 years I have been using their products. I keep the 450B set up for 5.56 , one 550 for large pistol/rifle , one for small pistol/rifle and one for both as well as my RT 1200 trimmer.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/CGOuj3.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pnCGOuj3j)

markm
12-28-21, 10:11
I’m on about 110k rounds of 9mm on a LNL AP. About 14k rounds of 5.56 on another. Both growing strong.

I figure that's about how many cycles killed my single stage. I'm not bashing the press, the single is just a much smaller ram in the alloy frame. It was just not cut out for the insane volume of everything I run on my single stage. EVERY round and caliber hits the single stage for decapping alone. .223 will get cycled 3 times each loading. I still have it as a dedicated bullet pulling press on the end of the bench.

I upgraded to the Big Boss II for a beefier single stage.

mRad
12-28-21, 11:03
The AP is a huge ram relative to the single stage. It’s as big if not bigger than my business partner’s 650.

MarshallDodge
01-03-22, 16:30
I've been using Dillon for 30 years. 550, 650, and 1050.

I like Hornady but Dillon is just a little nicer in all the areas that count.