PDA

View Full Version : SLR handguard

colt107
11-30-21, 22:54
Hello, got a question for anyone who could answer. Picking out some parts for my next build a 14.5” 5.56. Was talking to the local gunsmith and mentioned I wanted to pick up a SLR handguard and he highly advised against it. Mainly saying the small anti rotation that sits on the gas tube technically dosnt make it free float and was saying it will affect my accuracy horribly. This can’t be true is it for something that small? I’m not looking to shoot dimes with this by any means. But 300 yards and in but he made it sound like I wouldn’t even be on paper. Like I said I highly doubt it will affect THAT much. But has any noticed ANY accuracy issues due it this feature? Thanks everyone. Kinda new still and y’all have been great.

MistWolf
11-30-21, 23:54
First, I have ARs with non-freefloat handguards and see no evidence of precision being affected horribly.

Second, what anti-rotation tabs sit on the gastube?

colt107
12-01-21, 00:01
SLR have a very small anti rotation that has a groove that the gas tube goes through. I don’t think it actually touches but it’s a very small space so I could see how it might “sit” on the tube. Tried to upload a pic but wasn’t allowing me.

CoryCop25
12-01-21, 03:26
Your local gunsmith has no idea what he is talking about. SLR is good stuff. I own and have installed several of these rails on some very accurate rifles. The gas tube has nothing to do with what the barrel does when a round is fired. Hence the gas block hanging off the end of the barrel would make the gun way less accurate than the SLR anti rotation pin if you wanna use that "gunsmith's" argument.

themonk
12-01-21, 08:03
I agree with CoryCop25. SLR Makes excellent stuff. The antirotation piece is not going to effects accuracy. I dont think its the most elegant solution but it is what it is. His gas blocks are top notch and I love all the different rail lengths he offers. That being said I have one of his older rails (2017) and the anodizing is very soft and scratches easier than only other piece of anodized aluminum I own. For that reason I dont think I would by another one.

ViniVidivici
12-01-21, 09:56
That 'smith is full o' crap.

12-01-21, 10:01
But has any noticed ANY accuracy issues due it this feature?

I have not.

Black_Sheep
12-01-21, 14:22
I have SLR hand guards on a couple rifles, they are just as accurate as my other rifles. The barrel nut design and the wedges are very secure, I’m pretty sure you could run the gun without the anti-rotation clip and it wouldn’t make a difference…

Five_Point_Five_Six
12-01-21, 17:00
I had one of their MLOK rails that flared out at the business end with a 4" section of 1913 rail built in. It was lightweight and the machining was top notch, but all the cutaways made it get hot as balls after a mag or two.

sinister
12-01-21, 19:31
I'd find another gunsmith.

This is a mid-length turned from a Shilen blank, then nitrided. The group is ten 77-grain Match Kings at 200 yards. The rail is an SLR Solo 15-incher.

titsonritz
12-01-21, 22:59
I'd find another gunsmith.

This is a mid-length turned from a Shilen blank, then nitrided. The group is ten 77-grain Match Kings at 200 yards. The rail is an SLR Solo 15-incher.

I am wondering if that rail is ION series rail?
https://slrrifleworks.com/ion-16-lite-mlok-handguard/
or may an early gen SOLO, I have SOLO on my 18" SOLGW and it look like this...
https://slrrifleworks.com/solo-16-lite-handguard-mlok/
Regardless, that gunsmith is full of shit, SLR makes nice handguards.

MistWolf
12-02-21, 09:04
I have an SLR free float tube, but didn't comment on it because it's carbon fiber, not aluminum. It's on a precision AR and I've always been happy with it.

utahjeepr
12-03-21, 08:47
SLR handguards are well designed and very well made. Top quality stuff. I have zero qualms recommending their gear.

If your smith is otherwise competent, perhaps he should contact SLR tech support and discuss his concerns. In my experience LGS "gunsmiths" can range from highly qualified experts to absolute morons, you'll have to judge your guy for yourself.

12-03-21, 10:34
SLR handguards are well designed and very well made. Top quality stuff. I have zero qualms recommending their gear.

If your smith is otherwise competent, perhaps he should contact SLR tech support and discuss his concerns. In my experience LGS "gunsmiths" can range from highly qualified experts to absolute morons, you'll have to judge your guy for yourself.

In my experience, LGS “gunsmiths” aren’t qualified to mount a muzzle device or swap a barrel. I wouldn’t have a vice and drill press if they were.

If the gunsmith contacts SLR support, he’ll probably be getting a call or email in like 15 minutes, and sadly they will be super polite.

Dutch110
12-07-21, 11:18
Seconding what others have said. I have an SLR on a 16 inch build and am pretty sure your gunsmith has no clue what he is talking about. The spacer they use to align the handguard using the gas tube is more of an index. I cannot see how it would affect accuracy at all.