PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x25

jc75754
12-14-08, 05:38
I Have been looking for a powerful but inexpensive (UGLY) pistol to carry on long backpacking trips. Either the TT-33 or CZ-52 seems to fit the bill. With reported muzzle velocities ranging from 1500fps to 2100fps this seems like it would have massive amounts of penetration although questionable stopping power. I cant decide which one. Anyone with experience please insert 2cents here and let me know. Also if you are in the NC, Wilkesboro and wanting to sell one let me know.

Thanks

Obiwan
12-14-08, 10:19
Another benefit of the CZ-52 is that it can be used to start a fire

Serious muzzle blast.....a real hit for low-light shooting:D

TOrrock
12-14-08, 11:25
I would not depend on that caliber to stop an agressor quickly.

Yes, it's happened, and there are a lot of dead people because of the 7.62x25mm, but mostly because of multiple bursts from a PPSh-41, PPS-43, etc.

You do get a lot of penetration, but there aren't any good defense loads that give me the warm fuzzies.

With a non expanding FMJ, you're poking a .30 cal hole in tissue that isn't all that different from .32 ACP.

I'd bump your requirement up to 9mm honestly.

As far as TT-33 vs. vz-52, having owned both, I much prefer the TT-33 Tokarev.

Alpha Sierra
12-14-08, 11:31
While not inexpensive, Smith & Wesson has made over the years several models of scandium-aluminum framed revolvers with either titanium or stainless steel cylinders in .357, .41, and .44 Magnum.

I would pick one of them over any semi-auto pistol any day for your stated purpose.