PDA

View Full Version : Boom at the gun range.

zack991
12-04-21, 19:36
Guy came in and he was shooting his custom built ARs, one 5.56 and the other 300blk. He fired 300blk out of his 5.56 rifle. Not sure who the manufacture of his upper or BCG, he couldn't remember. Barrel was from Bear creek. The young guy was fine, only had a three inch cut on his forarm. Why i never shoot 300blk at the same time I shoot my 5.56 guns. will add more photos when I get a chance.

https://ibb.co/x1PR8rr MAGAZINE

https://i.ibb.co/fqZxkm2/20211204-174118.jpg (https://ibb.co/bQYKspP)

https://ibb.co/x1PR8rr

Mysteryman
12-04-21, 22:17
Lack of situational awareness.. Gets expensive.

AndyLate
12-05-21, 07:30
I see the post as a reminder to be a little more careful when you are firing multiple calibers of guns at one session. It's not just the 300 BO - popping off a 308 round in a 25-06 is not unheard of.

Andy

sidewaysil80
12-05-21, 07:48
People are dumb, how hard is it to double check.

zack991
12-05-21, 08:46
People are dumb, how hard is it to double check.
They have 4 people shooting together, no one was controlling who had want ammo or rifle.

HKGuns
12-05-21, 09:20
Play silly games, win stupid prizes.

T2C
12-05-21, 09:33
You definitely want to be careful about not mixing ammunition. I keep different calibers in separate containers which are clearly marked.

I've seen people shoot 9mm +P+ out of a Glock 22 and others shoot .308 Winchester out of a M1 Garand chambered in 30-06. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

sidewaysil80
12-05-21, 09:53
They have 4 people shooting together, no one was controlling who had want ammo or rifle.

If it’s my gun, especially being passed around or with different calibers, I make I sure load the mags. Ymmv

Stickman
12-05-21, 11:39
You definitely want to be careful about not mixing ammunition. I keep different calibers in separate containers which are clearly marked.

I've seen people shoot 9mm +P+ out of a Glock 22 and others shoot .308 Winchester out of a M1 Garand chambered in 30-06. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

One of my Officers loaded up his duty .45 magazines with 9mm and carried it for an entire quarter. This officer worked a district where drawing his weapon daily, or multiple times daily was not uncommon. When he came out for quals he was having issues (crazy right?) with his weapon running. After watching him fight malfunction clearances several times in a row, I took the weapon and immediately saw what the issue was.

This Officer was no rising super star, he was a vet who just took the easy way out of everything and never seemed to care during training. Even though he had to come up and request his caliber of ammunition, he still managed to screw himself over. Maybe he was tired, maybe he grabbed someone elses ammo, who knows. My point is that bad things can happen, its worth double checking ammo.

titsonritz
12-05-21, 14:56
One of my Officers loaded up his duty .45 magazines with 9mm and carried it for an entire quarter. This officer worked a district where drawing his weapon daily, or multiple times daily was not uncommon. When he came out for quals he was having issues (crazy right?) with his weapon running. After watching him fight malfunction clearances several times in a row, I took the weapon and immediately saw what the issue was.

This Officer was no rising super star, he was a vet who just took the easy way out of everything and never seemed to care during training. Even though he had to come up and request his caliber of ammunition, he still managed to screw himself over. Maybe he was tired, maybe he grabbed someone elses ammo, who knows. My point is that bad things can happen, its worth double checking ammo.

Sounds like he is lucky to be alive.

titsonritz
12-05-21, 14:59
I knew a guy that put a .308 though a .270 Win, well not quit all the way through it and looked like Al Jolson after pulling the trigger.

Stickman
12-05-21, 15:16

Not a squared away officer....

Bret
12-05-21, 16:36
I don't understand how this could happen. I can for sure visualize how a 5.56x45 cartridge could chamber in a 300BO chamber, but how can a 300BO cartridge chamber in a 5.56x45? The 300BO neck is so wide that it wouldn't enter the neck portion of the chamber. I'd think this would leave the bolt so far back that it would have no way to lock. What am I missing?

12-05-21, 17:44
I don't understand how this could happen. I can for sure visualize how a 5.56x45 cartridge could chamber in a 300BO chamber, but how can a 300BO cartridge chamber in a 5.56x45? The 300BO neck is so wide that it wouldn't enter the neck portion of the chamber. I'd think this would leave the bolt so far back that it would have no way to lock. What am I missing?Certain bullets profiles in 300 will chamber in 556 but not all.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

zack991
12-05-21, 17:48
The bullet in 300BLK gets pushed back into the case and due to the 5.56 headspacing of the chamber it allows the firing pin to set it off.
https://i.redd.it/w3765e077z0y.jpg

Disciple
12-05-21, 17:57
Do you know if the same thing can happen with .300 HAM'R? I thought it could not but your illustration shows more room in front of the .300 BLK case than I thought would be there.

ST911
12-05-21, 18:22
Guy came in and he was shooting his custom built ARs, one 5.56 and the other 300blk. He fired 300blk out of his 5.56 rifle. Not sure who the manufacture of his upper or BCG, he couldn't remember. Barrel was from Bear creek. The young guy was fine, only had a three inch cut on his forarm. Why i never shoot 300blk at the same time I shoot my 5.56 guns. will add more photos when I get a chance.

Happens much more than is publicly disclosed.

zack991
12-05-21, 18:36
Do you know if the same thing can happen with .300 HAM'R? I thought it could not but your illustration shows more room in front of the .300 BLK case than I thought would be there.
I honestly dont know, anything is possible. A gunsmith who works with that caliber would have a better idea.

Bret
12-05-21, 18:38
OK, now I understand. I'd assumed that the cartridge lengths were the same, but they're not.
https://enoughgun.com/forum/download/file.php?id=259

Disciple
12-05-21, 18:45
Here is .300 HAM'R. Does anyone think this could be forced into the chamber under normal cycling? One HAM'R in the middle of a 5.56 magazine in an overgassed gun?

https://i1.wp.com/blog.cheaperthandirt.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/case-lineup.jpg
https://safariclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Sundra-300-HAM-R-comparison.jpg

Mysteryman
12-07-21, 20:44

Not a life threatening experience. Witnessed it twice and it resulted in minimal damage to the gun and zero to the shooters.

T2C
12-07-21, 20:54

Our agency transitioned from 9mm to .40 S&W in 1998. I ran a qualification a few years later and one of the officers was having intermittent feeding issues with his Glock 22. He was making solid hits on his target until we moved back to the 15 yard line, then bullets were passing through his target sideways. He asked me to check his weapon, I asked if he was shooting old duty ammunition, then he responded "Oh s%&t! I loaded up with 9mm." What was amazing is that he did not experience malfunctions until there were only 5 or 6 rounds left in a magazine. The +P+ cases were bulged out to .40 S&W size. The Glock 22 extracted the bulged cases with no issues.

When humans are involved, things can go wrong.

AKDoug
12-07-21, 21:00
Here is .300 HAM'R. Does anyone think this could be forced into the chamber under normal cycling? One HAM'R in the middle of a 5.56 magazine in an overgassed gun?

https://i1.wp.com/blog.cheaperthandirt.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/case-lineup.jpg
https://safariclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Sundra-300-HAM-R-comparison.jpg

Anything is possible, but it looks very unlikely with a 300 HAMR.

titsonritz
12-07-21, 22:14
Not a life threatening experience. Witnessed it twice and it resulted in minimal damage to the gun and zero to the shooters.

I was talking about the officer with 9mm in his .45acp needing his duty weapon and coming up short.

okie
12-08-21, 02:59
Did you find the lead noodle? Still absolutely blows my mind that that's even possible. When you look at those and think of the force it takes to extrude them, really makes you marvel at the engineering that was able to safely contain that kind of pressure. If those lugs didn't hold, you would be talking a miniature pipe bomb in your face, vs. a damaged upper.

markm
12-08-21, 07:15
Too much chaos, and this crap happens. We've put wrong rounds in guns, wrong cans on compatible mounts, etc. Too many guns, calibers, and people... plus distractions. This stuff will happen.

And this is another reason we don't shoot 300 worthless.

ThirdWatcher
12-08-21, 13:49
Not a squared away officer....

Sounds like one of those guys you never allow to be behind you when you’re on a raid...

Mysteryman
12-08-21, 18:29
I was talking about the officer with 9mm in his .45acp needing his duty weapon and coming up short.

Ah yes, that is a much greater concern.

12-08-21, 19:03
Too much chaos, and this crap happens. We've put wrong rounds in guns, wrong cans on compatible mounts, etc. Too many guns, calibers, and people... plus distractions. This stuff will happen.

And this is another reason we don't shoot 300 worthless.Be honest your hatred for this round is because it waste perfectly good heavy match bullets in subsonic that would better be used in magnums at long range.

markm
12-09-21, 09:19
Be honest your hatred for this round is because it waste perfectly good heavy match bullets in subsonic that would better be used in magnums at long range.

I hope nobody is using a match bullet in that caliber. That would be the icing on the cake. If loaded with a bonded or soft point of some sort, it would at least fill it's very small niche.

Entryteam
12-09-21, 09:29

I don't think that's gonna buff out.

12-09-21, 09:38
I hope nobody is using a match bullet in that caliber. That would be the icing on the cake. If loaded with a bonded or soft point of some sort, it would at least fill it's very small niche.Sadly most of the original factory loads for subs were 208 amax and 220gr matchking. Not sure about now I switched over to 277 wolverine for hunting.

SteyrAUG
12-12-21, 01:42

And this is another reason we don't shoot 300 worthless.

This is also a byproduct of the "I want all my firearms to use the same magazine, I want ONE suppressor for all of my firearms, I want all of my firearms to have the same stock, optic, config, etc." mindset.

It was bound to happen.

The other problem is new shooters who pop on the internet and ask "what is the best caliber / config for my dream rifle" project and then buy one without having any of the significant firearms knowledge of people who helped them arrive at that configuration.

I can recall when this sort of thing sometimes happened with med frame .38 revolvers when somebody would accidentally shoot one side by side with a medium frame .357 magnum. Sooner or later somebody is going to assume it's going to be ok because it looks ok.

kirkland
12-12-21, 12:16
This is also a byproduct of the "I want all my firearms to use the same magazine, I want ONE suppressor for all of my firearms, I want all of my firearms to have the same stock, optic, config, etc." mindset.

It was bound to happen.

Totally agree with this, the whole "300 bLk cAn uSe tHe sAmE mAgAzInE aNd BoLt, sO iT's tHe bEsT" thing that people were parroting on the forums during the height of the 300 blk craze. First of all, you choose the correct bolt for whatever your setup is and run it. I doubt many people are using one BCG to switch back and forth for both their 300 blk rifle and their 5.56 rifle. That'd be idiotic. So it's really no different than running a 6.8 or 6.5 or any other caliber, you buy the correct bolt and run it in the gun and leave it there. So being able to use the same bolt as 5.56 is meaningless. And certain 300 blk ammo will start to bind in a 5.56 mag anyway, I think someone mentioned that issue earlier in this thread, and now they've had to come out with specific 300blk mags to fix the issue. The entire 300 blk thing was so overhyped and it's just a mediocre cartridge. That being said, I do own one.

georgeib
12-12-21, 12:23
300 AAC, the 40 S&W of rifle cartridges. LOL.

I've tried to like it, I really have. Just don't see the purpose of either a weaker 5.56/7.62x39 or 45 ACP when suppressed.

12-12-21, 12:32
300 AAC, the 40 S&W of rifle cartridges. LOL.

I've tried to like it, I really have. Just don't see the purpose of either a weaker 5.56/7.62x39 or 45 ACP when suppressed.The blkout got me into sbr's and suppressors with all the hype. After hunting with it really not that impressed. Tried out the 277 wolverine this year and and a 90gr gold dot load out of a 10" barrel on deer impressed me more than the great black tip ever did.

indianalex01
12-12-21, 20:39

Glock 22 40 cal or a 22lr Glock?

T2C
12-12-21, 21:32
Glock 22 40 cal or a 22lr Glock?

It was a Glock 22 chambered in .40 S&W. I am guessing the 9mm bullets just bounced from side to side when they passed through the barrel. The bullets went through the target sideways once we started shooting from the 15 yard line.

3ACR_Scout
12-14-21, 15:12

It was a Glock 22 chambered in .40 S&W. I am guessing the 9mm bullets just bounced from side to side when they passed through the barrel. The bullets went through the target sideways once we started shooting from the 15 yard line.
About 15 years ago, when I was young and had deployment money saved up, I bought one of my "wish list" pistols, a Sig P226R in 9mm, and then about a year later, I found a used but "like new" P226R in .40 S&W and bought that too. They look completely identical other than the caliber markings. The magazines also look the same, other than the 9mm holding 15 rounds and the .40 holding 12. I made the mistake of taking them both to the range once with magazines that were pre-loaded. I loaded the P226R-40 and fired it, and it made kind of a pop and failed to fully cycle the slide. Sure enough, I had loaded it with a 9mm magazine. No worse for the wear, but it was a valuable lesson that I haven't repeated since.

RHINOWSO
12-14-21, 18:28
I loaded the P226R-40 and fired it, and it made kind of a pop and failed to fully cycle the slide. Sure enough, I had loaded it with a 9mm magazine. No worse for the wear, but it was a valuable lesson that I haven't repeated since.
Same with a Glock 42 and 43 at the range.

Shooting the G43, wondering why the rounds were about 2 inches lower than normal, crappy to no ejection, mag is a little loose... FUUUUUCK.... 380 out of a 9mm. It works, but its a rack the slide action pistol, lol.

Zero effect on the pistol after loading it with the proper ammunition... ;)

Friends wax poetic about how great 300BLK is, but I know my limitations and just deal with 5.56x45 and 762x51.

SteyrAUG
12-14-21, 21:03
Same with a Glock 42 and 43 at the range.

Shooting the G43, wondering why the rounds were about 2 inches lower than normal, crappy to no ejection, mag is a little loose... FUUUUUCK.... 380 out of a 9mm. It works, but its a rack the slide action pistol, lol.

Zero effect on the pistol after loading it with the proper ammunition... ;)

Friends wax poetic about how great 300BLK is, but I know my limitations and just deal with 5.56x45 and 762x51.

Didn't see it happen, but when I was a kid they had the remains of a .44 Special revolver that someone accidentally loaded with magnum rounds hanging on the wall with a "Pay Attention" sign under it. Blew out sides of cylinder and top strap was ripped straight up.

That one always stayed with me. Any time some gun person would start saying "you know this round will actually fit in that gun" it always made me remember and to think about comparative pressures.

Disciple
12-14-21, 21:19
I thought the .44 Magnum case was longer than the Special case to prevent that.

kirkland
12-14-21, 21:26

That's true. Same with .357 mag/.38 spl

AndyLate
12-14-21, 21:28

Unless the 44 SPL revolver was bored straight through. A 44 magnum round will also drop right into a 45 Colt Peacemaker, if I remember correctly.

Andy

Disciple
12-14-21, 21:31
Unless the 44 SPL revolver was bored straight through.

Noted. Is that common?

AndyLate
12-14-21, 22:11
Noted. Is that common?

I don't think it is at all common on 44 SPL revolvers. The 44 American had a heeled bullet and cylinders bored straight through, but I would be surprised if a revolver in that chambering would have a long enough cylinder to work with a 44 Magnum.

Andy

SteyrAUG
12-15-21, 02:13

I don't recall. Maybe somebody hot loaded a "special" case. But it was explained to us that "wrong ammo / wrong results."

I wonder if during the transition phase when the new magnum rounds were adopted if they just happened to still fit some of the older .38 / .44 special guns.

utahjeepr
12-15-21, 07:30
I attended a class with a fellow who was apparently confused about his new pistol being AVAILABLE in both 9mm and 40 cal. He had the ridiculous notion that it WAS DESIGNED to shoot either cartridge interchangeably.

Needless to say his 40 cal Ruger American did not perform well loaded with 9mm. I was surprised that it ran at all, but it did. Several stoppages and piss poor accuracy, but it did "kind of" run. The spent "fire formed" 9/40 brass was a popular souvenir from the class.

ETA: His error was pretty quickly discovered and rectified by the course instructors. They said they intended to add ammo verification to their preclass safety checklist thereafter.

T2C
12-15-21, 08:10
At our local gun club, a fellow decided it was OK to load his lever action rifle with ammunition that had pointy projectiles. After firing a few rounds, his rifle detonated causing severe bleeding to the palm of his support hand. Most of the handguard came off the rifle, the magazine tube and the front of the receiver where it meets the magazine tube.

After a few hours of surgery, the doctors managed to remove most of the debris, repair tendons and stitch up his palm. His hand looks like something out of a Frankenstein movie.

It's a really good idea to carry a first aid kit in your vehicle for that time when using the wrong ammunition can cause injury.

DMTJAGER
12-24-21, 22:01
Was at my private range back in June with my two sons. When I go to the rang its and all day 5-7 hour 2k-3k round range day. Been training my boys since each turned 6yoa in not just firearm safety and etiquette but in safe and proper ammuntion handling as well. They know the rule is SAVE FOR 22lr, no two different types of rifle or HG ammo out of their storage boxes and in use at any time regardless of caliber.
I even go so far as having invested in a separate hard sided tool box for each different caliber of ammo so as to minimize the chances of mixing calibers especially HG calibers.

While I was shooting my 308 Win at 100 my youngest came up to me and said I should take a look at the young man next to him about 22 maybe 23 who was having GREAT difficulty loading cartridges into the magazine for his HG and maybe I could help. I walked up and noticed he had a 9mm 4.7" P320 just like mine and was using an Uplula magazine loader to insert rounds into his Sig OEM 17 round mag. I know had to be something wrong as I have been using Uplula mag loaders for 10+ years for 10s of thousands of rounds with zero problems ever.

I introduced myself and asked if I could be of assistance and he said he had no idea why he was having so much trouble. He handed me the mag and the loader and I immediately noticed he had already loaded two rounds of FMJ 45acp into his 9mm Sig P320 magazine. I as tactfully as I could pointed this out to him and he was so embarrassed I haven't seen a guys face turn that read since my high school days in the early 80's. He also had a Glock G21 with so that's how the ammo got mixed up.

If you would have asked me if it were possible to load a round of 230grn FMJ into any double staked 9mm magazine I would have replied quite confidently NO. But I would have been wrong.

RUTGERS95
12-29-21, 23:27
Was at my private range back in June with my two sons. When I go to the rang its and all day 5-7 hour 2k-3k round range day. Been training my boys since each turned 6yoa in not just firearm safety and etiquette but in safe and proper ammuntion handling as well. They know the rule is SAVE FOR 22lr, no two different types of rifle or HG ammo out of their storage boxes and in use at any time regardless of caliber.
I even go so far as having invested in a separate hard sided tool box for each different caliber of ammo so as to minimize the chances of mixing calibers especially HG calibers.

While I was shooting my 308 Win at 100 my youngest came up to me and said I should take a look at the young man next to him about 22 maybe 23 who was having GREAT difficulty loading cartridges into the magazine for his HG and maybe I could help. I walked up and noticed he had a 9mm 4.7" P320 just like mine and was using an Uplula magazine loader to insert rounds into his Sig OEM 17 round mag. I know had to be something wrong as I have been using Uplula mag loaders for 10+ years for 10s of thousands of rounds with zero problems ever.

I introduced myself and asked if I could be of assistance and he said he had no idea why he was having so much trouble. He handed me the mag and the loader and I immediately noticed he had already loaded two rounds of FMJ 45acp into his 9mm Sig P320 magazine. I as tactfully as I could pointed this out to him and he was so embarrassed I haven't seen a guys face turn that read since my high school days in the early 80's. He also had a Glock G21 with so that's how the ammo got mixed up.

If you would have asked me if it were possible to load a round of 230grn FMJ into any double staked 9mm magazine I would have replied quite confidently NO. But I would have been wrong.

good for you, it happens more than people realize and it's all about how you handle it. Hope you gave him some friendly pointers on keeping ammo etc in proper place.
I too have taught my boys from a young age, it's important!!!!!!!!!!!

Bimmer
01-01-22, 12:50

I'll do you one better... I've made a conscious decision not to own any guns that shoot cartridges that are potentially interchangeable.

So, keep your 6.5 or your 30 Nosler or your .243: I'll just keep shooting .308/7.62.

And don't come to me with Grendl or Valkyrie or Blackout: I'll just keep shooting .223/5.56.

All my semi-auto pistols are .22lr, .380ACP, or .40S&W: Those are easy enough to tell apart.

Also, I've seen enough new shooters (trying to be helpful) stuff an entire mag full of cartridges backwards (!) that I supervise mag loading carefully, too...

A 44 magnum round will also drop right into a 45 Colt Peacemaker, if I remember correctly.

Right, the rim on a .44mag is .514", so that would headspace on a .45Colt chamber.

.44mag bullets are .429", and .45 bullets are .454", so that would be like shooting a 9mm in a .40, or a .40 in a .45...

Joelski
01-01-22, 16:59

Doesn't look like it would chamber, but it might possibly slam fire and you'd be just as fooqt! Just a WAG, maybe somebody with experience with chambering it will speak up, but I sure as hell doubt it! :D

Joelski
01-01-22, 17:25

Humbling experiences are good teachers, if one has the humility to accept the lesson. I dare say that a far greater number of people go through life experiencing some type of learning experience, we just hear of far fewer people admitting to them!

I was concerned about the possibility of confusing .300 BLK with 5.56 the day I got my .300. Since then, I've kept 300 in FDE/MCT pmags, or USGI mags with brown pulls, .223/5.56 is black only. Even then, it's best to only shoot one at a time and put it away before shooting the other one. I've prized those lessons learned by other people's experience! You can't put a price on safety; especially where children are concerned. The only way to ensure a young one handles firearms safely is to teach them early to respect them. I tip my hat to you sir!

tgizzard
01-01-22, 17:34

I’ve had a simple range rule I’ve used for years. I only shoot one type of caliber per range trip. I keep it simple so I can avoid these types of mistakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ozarkpugs
01-01-22, 21:29
And to think I grew up with 20 gauges and 12 gauges in the same house . How did we ever survive ?

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

Joelski
01-01-22, 21:34
And to think I grew up with 20 gauges and 12 gauges in the same house . How did we ever survive ?

But do you shoot the 20 gauge? ;)

ozarkpugs
01-01-22, 23:36
But do you shoot the 20 gauge? ;)Not out oof the 12 gauge for sure .

Core781
01-02-22, 04:00

Wow a malfunction I have never seen. Well done..

n4aof
01-02-22, 07:51

This story seems particularly difficult to believe.

It would just barely be possible to load even a double-stack .45 magazine with 9mm (impossible in any single stack I've ever seen), but how would someone not notice that the complete 9mm round would fall out of the muzzle when holstering the gun?!? Are you saying that this officer, loaded a magazine but never chambered a round?

As for having problems during quals, are you saying that your department runs quals without ever holstering the gun? Surely he had to chamber a round for quals and a 9mm would simply fall out the muzzle the first time the gun was pointed downward.

reaper5.56
01-02-22, 08:19
Yikes. An expensive lesson to learn

n4aof
01-03-22, 00:01
I'll do you one better... I've made a conscious decision not to own any guns that shoot cartridges that are potentially interchangeable.

So, keep your 6.5 or your 30 Nosler or your .243: I'll just keep shooting .308/7.62.

And don't come to me with Grendl or Valkyrie or Blackout: I'll just keep shooting .223/5.56.

All my semi-auto pistols are .22lr, .380ACP, or .40S&W: Those are easy enough to tell apart.

You are NOT alone in that choice.

The closest thing I have to a potential mismatch is that I do own one .380 and one 9mm; but the .380 is "loaned" to one of my granddaughters.

john armond
01-03-22, 06:22
I have .40 uppers for both my compact and full size Berettas as a backup caliber. The 9mm slide/barrel stay on them, and the .40s, other than one range trip to test fire, stay in a box in a drawer with my .40 mags. I am currently looking for a larger box that will hold the .40 uppers, all my .40 mags and the about 600 rounds of .40 ammo I have. That way there is no chance for confusion.

To further differentiate, EVERY stamped marking on the .40 mags, slide, and barrel has been filled white.

ozarkpugs
01-03-22, 07:06

ozarkpugs
01-03-22, 07:07
My ARs are color coded . Green is 223/556 black is 6.8 and tan is 300 Bo . Also have intended caliber marked on the dust cover and magazines . All of those precautions didn't stop my 40 years old nephew from putting a 556 mag in a 6.8 and firing it . Other than the case bulging there was no harm and instead of boom it was a pop . I wish all my 300 brass was nickel or black but that probably would not keep some people from being carless .

Bimmer
01-03-22, 12:16

You laugh, but as your own family experience shows, if there's a way to screw it up, then somebody will:

My ARs are color coded . Green is 223/556 black is 6.8 and tan is 300 Bo . Also have intended caliber marked on the dust cover and magazines . All of those precautions didn't stop my 40 years old nephew from putting a 556 mag in a 6.8 and firing it .

Just be glad he didn't somehow cram a 3-1/2" turkey load into an old 12ga...

And FWIW, I don't think it's hard to tell 20ga and 12ga apart, but I wouldn't want to throw 16ga into the mix...

ozarkpugs
01-03-22, 21:24
You laugh, but as your own family experience shows, if there's a way to screw it up, then somebody will:

Just be glad he didn't somehow cram a 3-1/2" turkey load into an old 12ga...

And FWIW, I don't think it's hard to tell 20ga and 12ga apart, but I wouldn't want to throw 16ga into the mix...Not laughing , I was dead serious . That was the point I was making , if it can be screwed up someone will do it . 20 gauge were yellow for a reason but God only knows how many people lodging one in a 12 gauge barrel and then loaded a 12 on top .

SteyrAUG
01-03-22, 22:05
Not laughing , I was dead serious . That was the point I was making , if it can be screwed up someone will do it . 20 gauge were yellow for a reason but God only knows how many people lodging one in a 12 gauge barrel and then loaded a 12 on top .

Most people understand what kind of gasoline they can or cannot put in their lawn mower. I wish I could say that same level of competency existed in the firearms world...but it doesn't.

You also bring up an excellent point, you and I may understand everything about our guns, but one day somebody else will get them and they probably don't have half the knowledge base. When my dad passed I looked at at least a dozen of his guns trying to figure out WTF he did and why? He wasn't there to explain the reasons and motivations of his modifications.

Some of it I eventually figured out by just looking at it and thinking about it all day long for a couple days but there were a few things that just never explained themselves.

I've also dealt with some guns that kids inherited after their father passed, usually they wanted to keep these but sell those, had one guy bring me an AK that his dad had drilled out the Y hole. NO select fire parts installed but it was ready to go. I explained to him what he had on his hands, took it to the bench and cut the receiver and sold it for him as a parts kit.

God help him if he decided he liked that one, wanted to keep it and took it to the range or whatever.

ozarkpugs
01-04-22, 07:11
Most people understand what kind of gasoline they can or cannot put in their lawn mower. I wish I could say that same level of competency existed in the firearms world...but it doesn't.

You also bring up an excellent point, you and I may understand everything about our guns, but one day somebody else will get them and they probably don't have half the knowledge base. When my dad passed I looked at at least a dozen of his guns trying to figure out WTF he did and why? He wasn't there to explain the reasons and motivations of his modifications.

Some of it I eventually figured out by just looking at it and thinking about it all day long for a couple days but there were a few things that just never explained themselves.

I've also dealt with some guns that kids inherited after their father passed, usually they wanted to keep these but sell those, had one guy bring me an AK that his dad had drilled out the Y hole. NO select fire parts installed but it was ready to go. I explained to him what he had on his hands, took it to the bench and cut the receiver and sold it for him as a parts kit.

God help him if he decided he liked that one, wanted to keep it and took it to the range or whatever.That is my fear , my wife and stepson are not involved enough in the making of the sausage they just eat it . When I'm gone ( hopefully decades from now as I'm only 66 years young ) will they remember to be careful which bullet to put in which mag andwhich mag in which gun !!! I enjoy shooting the . 300 . Its 8.5" is handy and quieter . It's for those times when I don't need the long range velocity of a 5.56 nor power of a 6.8 nor the noise they produce . That said if I knew my time was getting near I would probably get rid of it for their sake .

01-04-22, 11:51
Doesn't look like it would chamber, but it might possibly slam fire and you'd be just as fooqt! Just a WAG, maybe somebody with experience with chambering it will speak up, but I sure as hell doubt it! :D

If you’re talking about slam firing due to the floating firing pin, it won’t reach the primer until the bolt is collapsed into the carrier.

Bimmer
01-04-22, 12:01
20 gauge were yellow for a reason but God only knows how many people lodging one in a 12 gauge barrel and then loaded a 12 on top.

Jeez, I never even though about that...

The rim of a 20ga is .766, so yeah, that would "fit" in the barrel of a 12ga and just hang up at the end of the cylinder, right?

I spend time on car forums. I'm constantly impressed by people who put the wrong fluids in their cars, including the wrong grade gasoline.

In Europe, where diesel passenger vehicles are more common, the put-gas-in-a-diesel problem isn't rare...

SteyrAUG
01-04-22, 18:00
That is my fear , my wife and stepson are not involved enough in the making of the sausage they just eat it . When I'm gone ( hopefully decades from now as I'm only 66 years young ) will they remember to be careful which bullet to put in which mag andwhich mag in which gun !!! I enjoy shooting the . 300 . Its 8.5" is handy and quieter . It's for those times when I don't need the long range velocity of a 5.56 nor power of a 6.8 nor the noise they produce . That said if I knew my time was getting near I would probably get rid of it for their sake .

So I keep a printed list of everything I own including about 5 sentences of specific information. I have transferable machine guns, pre 86 dealers samples and a bunch of SBRs and suppressors. People are going to need to know what is what and what can be sold to anyone and what can only be sold to another SOT.