PDA

View Full Version : High PSA labs. Biopsy negative for cancer

Waylander
12-04-21, 20:14
Mid 40s and had three PSA tests 2 months apart. First was ~5, second was ~3, and 3rd was ~5.

ETA:
I had the biopsy and it sucked about as bad as I expected but I’m glad it’s over. Now I’m waiting for my results.

ETA2:
Biopsy negative for cancer.

Inkslinger
12-04-21, 20:23
Do you do anything like bike riding or horseback riding? I’ve heard of long distance bike riders getting elevated PSA. My uncle had a high reading some years back, and he spends a lot of time on a horse. I would get a second opinion, because there could be other reasons for it being elevated.

Waylander
12-04-21, 20:30
Do you do anything like bike riding or horseback riding? I’ve heard of long distance bike riders getting elevated PSA. My uncle had a high reading some years back, and he spends a lot of time on a horse. I would get a second opinion, because there could be other reasons for it being elevated.

Thanks for the reply. I don’t do either of those but I do sit on my ass a lot. Lol. I’ve been working remotely 100% since the plandemic started.

After the 2nd test came back at 3, the doc said if the 3rd test came back ~3 or lower he would start looking at prostatitis. It came back 5 so he doesn’t think it’s a fluke.

Inkslinger
12-04-21, 20:34
Thanks for the reply. I don’t do either of those but I do sit on my ass a lot. Lol. I’ve been working remotely 100% since the plandemic started.

After the 2nd test came back at 3, the doc said if the 3rd test came back ~3 or lower he would start looking at prostatitis. It came back 5 so he doesn’t think it’s a fluke.

That could be it. Maybe try a stand up desk and see what happens.

https://www.menshealth.com/health/a19540225/prostate-cancer-risks/

chuckman
12-04-21, 20:38
Get the biopsy. It'll be crappy and you can move on, it it'll be fine and you'll know.

Averageman
12-04-21, 20:41
Dude as a group we're getting old and it seems like time is whittling us down.

Get the test.

chuckman
12-04-21, 20:51

Get the test.

#beentheredonethat. Yes.

Caduceus
12-04-21, 21:25
Why are you even seeing a Urologist or being screened in your 40s?

ABNAK
12-04-21, 21:26
Get the biopsy. It'll be crappy and you can move on, it it'll be fine and you'll know.

Yes, this man speaks the truth! Get the biopsy. If it's negative you move one, if it's positive you eliminate the threat.

Waylander
12-04-21, 21:53
That could be it. Maybe try a stand up desk and see what happens.

https://www.menshealth.com/health/a19540225/prostate-cancer-risks/

We had just got standing desks about a year before we got sent home.
It’s always some bitter irony. Lol

We have a high top bar on our countertops I can stand at at least. Getting out of bed on cold mornings is a challenge.

Waylander
12-04-21, 22:00

I’m not opposed to it. It’s just it’s not without risk as far as I can tell. If I can get some health things sorted out and get back in shape in a month I can see what the PSA is then. Also it’s my understanding PSc is usually slow growing so I’m not on a hard timeline. I could be not taking it seriously enough then again sometimes it freaks me out a little.

Waylander
12-04-21, 22:08

Get the test.

You’re not lying.
I feel like I’ve aged more in the past two years than I did in the 20 years before that. The years have flown by regardless.

On the plus side, I’ve focused more on the important stuff. Also I have very little shame anymore. Lol

jbjh
12-05-21, 00:35
I’m not opposed to it. It’s just it’s not without risk as far as I can tell. If I can get some health things sorted out and get back in shape in a month I can see what the PSA is then. Also it’s my understanding PSc is usually slow growing so I’m not on a hard timeline. I could be not taking it seriously enough then again sometimes it freaks me out a little.

-OR-
If I’m going, go all in and go to a Cancer center of some sort to get a more advanced test. I’ve read could include an MRI and a trans perineal biopsy rather than going through the poopoo area prone to infection.

PSc is slow. But it also slowly kills people. Took a good friend of mine, and took its sweet time over 7 years whittling a robust man down to the core.

Been getting tested since my mid-30s because of family history, so I know the issues. Figure it this way: if it was any other member of your family, you encourage them to get tested as soon as possible. Flip the script, and there are a lot of people who love you and want you to be around a lot longer.

Don’t dally - ruck up and get tested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmoore
12-05-21, 10:21
>>… Also it’s my understanding PSc is usually slow growing…<<

The operative word here is “usually”! My best friend - RIP Devil Dog - found out that there are faster variants.
Get the test!!!!! I would.

geezerjohn
(retired pathophysiology professor)

Stickman
12-05-21, 11:44
When this forum gets older, we can open up a subforum for general bitching. I want to throw my name in the ring for the title of bitter old man or something similar. Aging isn't fun, and having the knowledge and experience to watch others fail isn't something I enjoy.

Waylander
12-05-21, 12:41
Why are you even seeing a Urologist or being screened in your 40s?

My new GP during my last physical asked if I had seen or was seeing a Urologist. That brought up a couple of seemingly random issues I had over 10 years ago so he ordered a PSA with my blood work luckily. My previous GP wasn’t having it tested.

A blood test is cheap, guys. Get it done!

Waylander
12-05-21, 12:49
When this forum gets older, we can open up a subforum for general bitching. I want to throw my name in the ring for the title of bitter old man or something similar. Aging isn't fun, and having the knowledge and experience to watch others fail isn't something I enjoy.

What a crotchety old lot to be in. Lol. I’m all for a grumpy old men’s club. I’ve been accused more than once in the past few years of bitching like one. The stories I could tell and the couple of feet of scars to the red meat to prove it.

Inkslinger
12-05-21, 12:53
My new GP during my last physical asked if I had seen or was seeing a Urologist. That brought up a couple of seemingly random issues I had over 10 years ago so he ordered a PSA with my blood work luckily. My previous GP wasn’t having it tested.

A blood test is cheap, guys. Get it done!

Did your blood work show an elevated or low white blood cell count?

https://prostatecancerinfolink.net/2013/02/04/white-blood-cell-denisty-and-risk-for-prostate-cancer/

NickySantoro
12-05-21, 13:17
Any recommendations?

Five is a little high for someone in their mid-forties. The biopsy is not that bad. I had four before the second urologist finally figured out the cause of my elevated PSA was not PCa. A friend had a PSA under 4. Urologist pushed for a biopsy and a cancer was found. Robotic surgery, no complications. He's fine 15 years later. Wife's cousin had a PSA of 5, waited and waited. Surgery, but a little late, and is now taking hormone therapy (ADT), due to metastasis and lymph node involvement detected. In your place, I'd get the biopsy.

Waylander
12-05-21, 13:46
Did your blood work show an elevated or low white blood cell count?

https://prostatecancerinfolink.net/2013/02/04/white-blood-cell-denisty-and-risk-for-prostate-cancer/

No WBC issues were mentioned by either doctor but worth asking about.

Waylander
01-11-22, 23:58
Over a month later and I was finally able to get in to have the biopsy late last week. Now another long week of waiting for the results.

Buncheong
01-12-22, 00:32
Keeping you in prayer, friend. Please let us know how it goes.

Sam
01-12-22, 06:34
Over a month later and I was finally able to get in to have the biopsy late last week. Now another long week of waiting for the results.

I've been thinking about you and praying for good results.

Averageman
01-12-22, 07:48
Hold on Brother.
Good Luck

P2Vaircrewman
01-12-22, 09:53
The same thing happened to me about 15 years ago, PSA bumped over 5. Had the biopsy and it was negative. Since then PSA has been back and forth between high 4's and low 5's. Doc attributes it to BPH. I get THE FINGER exam once a year.

Sam
01-12-22, 13:41
I get THE FINGER exam once a year.

Ouch.

jbjh
01-12-22, 14:59
Ouch.

Come on now. What I drop in the privy every morning is well larger than a finger.

Odd? Yes. Painful? No.

Averageman
01-12-22, 15:22
Come on now. What I drop in the privy every morning is well larger than a finger.

Odd? Yes. Painful? No.
Exit only, that's why.

ABNAK
01-12-22, 18:05
Edited.......I see you did get it. The wait for my results was friggin' nerve-racking.

Best wishes for you OP. Keep us posted.

P2Vaircrewman
01-12-22, 18:17
Maybe I shouldn't post this but the for the biopsy they shrove what feels like a Coke bottle up the butt. It is equipped with 8 hollow needles and each is launched in a different direction with a thang sound like a bungy cord pulled. and released. Uncomfortable but not painful. Best thing is you can freek out your significant other with blood red semen for a few weeks afterwards..

ABNAK
01-12-22, 18:22
Maybe I shouldn't post this but the for the biopsy they shrove what feels like a Coke bottle up the butt. It is equipped with 8 hollow needles and each is launched in a different direction with a thang sound like a bungy cord pulled. and released. Uncomfortable but not painful. Best thing is you can freek out your significant other with blood red semen for a few weeks afterwards..

Yeah, there's that too.....:rolleyes:

Waylander
01-13-22, 13:04
Keeping you in prayer, friend. Please let us know how it goes.

I've been thinking about you and praying for good results.

Edited.......I see you did get it. The wait for my results was friggin' nerve-racking.

Best wishes for you OP. Keep us posted.

Thank you all. Shouldn’t be too much longer of a wait now.

Waylander
01-13-22, 13:05
Hold on Brother.
Good Luck

Thanks. I’m sorry to hear that you lost your sister.

jbjh
01-14-22, 21:06

Yeah, I’ve done it. Suck it up. I guarantee that cancer sucks more thank you can imagine.

I’m helping a friend out who has colon cancer that has metastasized to his spine and liver. A 6 foot tall, healthy 38 year-old, has been reduced to a 125lb husk that has to shuffle to get to the bathroom.

Don’t be the guy who didn’t get a test because it was yucky or uncomfortable.

Loads of us will push thru lots of harsh scenarios to thrive or survive. This is one of them.

Averageman
01-15-22, 07:55
Thanks. I’m sorry to hear that you lost your sister.

Well, it was a long time ago and She's since passed.
17 when She found a lump under her arm, gone ten months later.

Waylander
01-23-22, 20:13
The results came in and they’re sort of a mixed bag. Straight out of the horses mouth I was told…

It’s not cancer.
There were abnormal cells.
I have an MRI scheduled for two months from now.

I asked if the MRIs would become a regular thing and was told it could be once a year.

At least it’s not cancer.

Inkslinger
01-23-22, 20:24
The results came in and they’re sort of a mixed bag. Straight out of the horses mouth I was told…

It’s not cancer.

I asked if the MRIs would become a regular thing and was told it could be once a year.

Great news man. I bet you’re breathing a little easier now.

HCrum87hc
01-23-22, 22:29

It’s not cancer.

So glad to hear it's not cancer, and will pray for some more clear answers soon.

jbjh
01-23-22, 22:31
Good stuff! Glad you went, and now you can get the rest sorted.

Waylander
01-24-22, 20:24
Great news man. I bet you’re breathing a little easier now.

Yep it was a sigh of relief more for my wife and family. I didn’t forget about the WBC you mentioned. I asked about it after my 4th PSA lab a week before the biopsy (which came back around 3) and was told it wasn’t tested. I’d like to know if it came back from the biopsy.

So glad to hear it's not cancer, and will pray for some more clear answers soon.

Good stuff! Glad you went, and now you can get the rest sorted.

Appreciate it, sirs.

I’m left feeling a little like I’m not getting many answers and thinking about a second opinion. At least just another doctor to see if I can get more answers or more thoroughness than I feel like this office is providing. Or maybe they will be getting around to WBC and other tests later.

Sam
01-24-22, 20:31
So happy for you dude. Good luck on the MRI.

I didn't think I was claustrophobic until 15 minutes into the almost 30 minutes session. I wasn't even completely inside the magnet tube, my head was barely even with the opening and I could still see the ceiling in the room. They said to try to sleep, but who can sleep with the noise and vibration. After 15 minutes into it I was ready to bolt. Arms and back started to itch, cramp started to settle in. LOL. The headphone with relaxing jazz music didn't help after that. If I ever have to go in an MRI again, I'm going to ask for some kind of sedative.

Waylander
01-25-22, 20:18
So happy for you dude. Good luck on the MRI.

I didn't think I was claustrophobic until 15 minutes into the almost 30 minutes session. I wasn't even completely inside the magnet tube, my head was barely even with the opening and I could still see the ceiling in the room. They said to try to sleep, but who can sleep with the noise and vibration. After 15 minutes into it I was ready to bolt. Arms and back started to itch, cramp started to settle in. LOL. The headphone with relaxing jazz music didn't help after that. If I ever have to go in an MRI again, I'm going to ask for some kind of sedative.

Thanks, buddy.

I’ll take an MRI over Satan’s butt probe any day! [emoji23]

Averageman
01-26-22, 02:28

It’s not cancer.

Good for you !

Pi3
01-29-22, 12:29
Waylander, I went through a lot of this 20 years ago. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger.

The_War_Wagon
01-29-22, 13:08
Mid 40s and had three PSA tests 2 months apart. First was ~5, second was ~3, and 3rd was ~5.

ETA:
I had the biopsy and it sucked about as bad as I expected but I’m glad it’s over. Now I’m waiting for my results.

ETA2:
Biopsy negative for cancer.

Good for you!!! Enjoy some LIFE now, in spite of democraps who wish all us little people dead!

Waylander
09-21-22, 19:32
I was finally able to have the MRI. I met with my doctor the first time since the biopsy and everything looks clean except for what he calls pre-cancer cells. Back when I got the biopsy and later on the phone call, his staff said distinctly abnormal cells. So if I’m understanding correctly, there isn’t much difference?

I was also a bit confused by his reaction when I asked what I can be doing. His answer was nothing, just come in every six months for the standard tests. Not very confidence inspiring.

Aries144
09-21-22, 20:04
I still think the best way to describe the experience of an MRI is to imagine yourself at a 90's rave dressed in a waist-up-only costume with two live lawnmower decks taped to the sides of your head.

P2Vaircrewman
09-22-22, 09:45
I had a high PSA and a negative biopsy 15 years ago. I get the finger every year. So far so good. Doctor doesn't ever do the PSA anymore, says just the finger exam is sufficient.

Caduceus
09-22-22, 17:00
I was finally able to have the MRI. I met with my doctor the first time since the biopsy and everything looks clean except for what he calls pre-cancer cells. Back when I got the biopsy and later on the phone call, his staff said distinctly abnormal cells. So if I’m understanding correctly, there isn’t much difference?

I was also a bit confused by his reaction when I asked what I can be doing. His answer was nothing, just come in every six months for the standard tests. Not very confidence inspiring.
there are different grades of abnormal, but overall not a positive thing.

Lots of things in medicine are "watch and wait." Why do you think mammos and paps aren't monthly? Even abnormal colonoscopies can go three to five years alart.

Sam
09-22-22, 19:59
If I have to get into another MRI again, they will need to sedate me.

I thought I wasn't bothered with being stuck into the metal tube, after about 10 minutes I was ready to get out. I wasn't even completely in, the top of my head was barely peeking out and I could just barely see outside. But having to lay completely still for 25 minutes while it sounded like a locomotive running around you gets very old. Your mind do tricks on you, making you feel like ants are crawling all over you and you can't scratch.

Either sedate me or I'm not going in.

kaiservontexas
09-22-22, 20:42
I agree about having to knock me out for I do another MRI. I have been subjected to several. They like to track the advancing damage in my spine. The last MRI I went through was hell. I felt like I was being shocked, plus I felt very, very, very off afterwards. It is hard to explain how I felt, but I googled my experience since before MRIs were never a problem. Turns out I am not the only one to experience such things during and after a MRI. It took a day to feel normal again; so, I absolutely do not want to go through one again. Before all of that I had no problem. I even fell asleep during my first MRI. The noises remind me of bad nine inch nail remixes, and I did not have a issue with the confines of it. Nowadays I do have problems with all of that stuff.