PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor Advice

SFW
12-04-21, 20:50
Ok. I did do a search, but didn’t come up with anything… so if this has been covered, I apologize. I am ready to start looking for my first can. I was thinking about starting with a .30 cal can so I can run it on all of my rifles while I save for a dedicated 556 can.

It will be used for 300BLK, 308 AR and my 11.5 556 pistol. I was thinking about the Surefire SOCOM 762 RC2. Would this be a good general use can? Or are there better alternatives out there? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lonestardiver
12-04-21, 21:03
Better or Best is be subjective.
Better at sound suppression?
Better tone?
Better options for attachment?

Everyone’s opinion of a suppressor will vary.
If you go with most any of the mainstream well known models you should not have an issue.

I have 2 SilencerCo cans in .308 (chimera and omega 300) and one by AAC. They all do a very good job. My 9mm can also works for 300 BO subsonic…haven’t tried it for that yet. To date none of the cans I have are an issue. They all do what they are supposed to do.

VIP3R 237
12-04-21, 21:09
First thing I’d do is look at Pewscience.com and do your comparisons there. There’s a lot of good 30 cal cans out there.

12-05-21, 07:10
The best way to have this discussion is to rank your priorities. It’ll be a list like:

Sound reduction
Flash reduction
Weight
Length
Mounting system
Cost
Durability
POI shift
Backpressure

You don’t have to include all of these, just the handful that are most important to you.

MadAngler1
12-05-21, 08:33
I like my Surefire SOCOM 762. I run it on a SCAR 17, Galil ACE SBR 7.62x39. It also works on my 556 ARs.

I would also take a hard look at Dead Air’s Nomad suppressors. Their KeyMo flash hiders don’t suffer as much from issues with carbon lock as my Surefires. They also make dedicated flash hiders for the SCAR 17. What I do to prevent carbon lock is apply ALG go juice to the appropriate mating surfaces and scrub the hell out of them between range sessions. No issues. I may order a Dead Air once the eform 4s go live.

I also picked up a 7.62 OSS can for my AKs and 16” Galil ACE. It is louder than my Surefire SOCOM, but you get virtually no heat build up or excess carbon buildup in the gun’s action. It runs cooler, which is truly amazing. Trade off is the can is louder and has a loud first round pop.

Alexj1206
12-07-21, 15:59
You can also look at AAC sdn6 with their t51 mount that’s easy to mount between rifles. Their priced reasonably and have a military pedigree.

Surefires also great. If it were me I’d go fde instead of black.

markm
12-07-21, 16:29
Our buddy came out with this bad ass Ti can. The thread on piece at the back of the suppressor can be changed out so it threads on to 1/2-28 and 5/8-24 with the supplied wrenches. Light as hell, and sounds good. I mean it fills a lot of roles for about 800-900 bucks.

Dead Air - NOMAD.

After many years of various suppressor use, for the role the OP is asking... I'd say this can is it. Mount systems no longer enamor me for the most part. We've grown to really just like direct thread.

georgeib
12-07-21, 16:31
Had a conjugal visit with my OSS 5.56 can today, and I'm pleased I went that route. Plenty quiet to shoot without ear pro if necessary, and no gas coming out the back. Still haven't shot my 7.62 OSS as I didn't feel like dragging more than 2 rifles with me, but I expect similar performance there.

polydeuces
12-07-21, 17:30
Ok. I did do a search, but didn’t come up with anything… so if this has been covered, I apologize. I am ready to start looking for my first can. I was thinking about starting with a .30 cal can so I can run it on all of my rifles while I save for a dedicated 556 can.

It will be used for 300BLK, 308 AR and my 11.5 556 pistol. I was thinking about the Surefire SOCOM 762 RC2. Would this be a good general use can? Or are there better alternatives out there? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM sent

Stickman
12-09-21, 10:41
We've grown to really just like direct thread.

I seem to recall multiple upper end can makers saying the same thing, either online or in private. The market wants QD/ Rapid Attach/ Cool Guy Bang Stick stuff.... so they buy mounts instead. Direct thread works best, so people buy QD and bitch.

Disciple
12-09-21, 12:10
Would the benefits of direct-thread remain if the muzzle used a beefy Acme thread instead of 1/2x28?

markm
12-09-21, 12:18
Fast attach is the romantic solution until you really run suppressors for a few years. At some point, they become an unnecessary complication in most cases. Stuck mounts, loose mounts, etc. Direct thread is so much more trouble free.

turnburglar
12-09-21, 15:26
To the OP: I am in a very similar boat as you.

I want to suppress a 18" 6.5 AR10, a 16" 556 recce, maybe my 10.5 556 just for fun, and then I might build a 300BLK upper in the future.

For the can I went with a Vox S, and for the mount I decided Dead Air Xeno. It has most of the benefits of the Q cherry bomb but it has more sensible muzzle devices and even lefty threads so that its impossible to unscrew the can and take the MD with it. Because of how the threads work, when you loosen the can it tightens the MD. I dont know why no one thought of this before.

To all the dudes talking about direct thread. I totally get why its the best solution for a weight and strength POV, and simple. But dont you think for storage, transport, and whoring one can to 4 rifles a mount starts to make sense?

MistWolf
12-09-21, 19:45
....dont you think for storage, transport, and whoring one can to 4 rifles a mount starts to make sense?

No. I run the suppressor on an 11.5 inch barrel. No harder to transport than a 16 inch AR and popping two pins is much easier than removing the can from a QD mount. This AR gets stored with the can installed because it's the only way it's long enough for the rifle racks in the safe.

As far as can whoring, it didn't take me long to discover life is easier when you don't swap the can around. A can is more likely to come loose after it's first tightened down. But after it's been tightened a couple of times, it stays tight. So, once a suppressor is tight, I leave it alone.

markm
12-10-21, 08:03
one can to 4 rifles a mount starts to make sense?

More mounts = more ass ache and cost

indianalex01
12-12-21, 00:04
Fast attach is the romantic solution until you really run suppressors for a few years. At some point, they become an unnecessary complication in most cases. Stuck mounts, loose mounts, etc. Direct thread is so much more trouble free.

Surefire RC 2 and LaRue Tranquillo use mounts and are probably the best. Buy better suppressors with great mounts and you won’t have those issues

VIP3R 237
12-12-21, 21:56
Surefire RC 2 and LaRue Tranquillo use mounts and are probably the best. Buy better suppressors with great mounts and you won’t have those issues

10 years ago maybe, surefire mounts are notorious for carbon locking. There’s much better mount designs out now. I don’t know if I’d buy another can that isn’t threaded so you can upgrade your mounting system.

indianalex01
12-12-21, 22:39
10 years ago maybe, surefire mounts are notorious for carbon locking. There’s much better mount designs out now. I don’t know if I’d buy another can that isn’t threaded so you can upgrade your mounting system.

LaRue has the best. Surefire RC2 is awesome. Both are hard use and no locking issues.

newtriumph
12-18-21, 22:19
Q suppressor taper-before-threads mounts seem compelling. They only have titanium cans currently so if your firing sessions are high intensity it may not be ideal - also Ti sparking giving away your position when you’e running your nighttime ops until your mom calls you home for dinner. Q plans for some type of steel alloy can that will be designed for low back pressure and use their taper mount (called “lefty” for now). Their .30 cans come with 1/2” and 5/8” mounts in the box. They also have wrench flats on the front.

My experience with direct thread is that we had to have the oven mitt out to keep checking for back off. A rocksett direct thread option seems interesting though.

I have a q and Surefire 556 rc2 in jail and own a sdn 762

indianalex01
12-18-21, 23:01
Q suppressor taper-before-threads mounts seem compelling. They only have titanium cans currently so if your firing sessions are high intensity it may not be ideal - also Ti sparking giving away your position when you’e running your nighttime ops until your mom calls you home for dinner. Q plans for some type of steel alloy can that will be designed for low back pressure and use their taper mount (called “lefty” for now). Their .30 cans come with 1/2” and 5/8” mounts in the box. They also have wrench flats on the front.

My experience with direct thread is that we had to have the oven mitt out to keep checking for back off. A rocksett direct thread option seems interesting though.

I have a q and Surefire 556 rc2 in jail and own a sdn 762

I’m rolling a LaRue Tranquillo as of a few days ago. Rock solid. Mounts awesome with minimal POI shift. It’s very repeatable as well. Highly recommend. Only problem is that it’s a year wait just to get one. I have an SOT so didn’t have to wait on stamp.

newtriumph
12-18-21, 23:16
I’m rolling a LaRue Tranquillo as of a few days ago. Rock solid. Mounts awesome with minimal POI shift. It’s very repeatable as well. Highly recommend. Only problem is that it’s a year wait just to get one. I have an SOT so didn’t have to wait on stamp.

looks very interesting - and the threads are behind the taper! They are taking orders it appears, at least.

12-19-21, 12:32
I’m convinced the thread ahead of or behind the taper is a non-issue for most people. After all, a direct thread has no taper. And Q’s very own Half Nelson and Full Nelson have the threads on the “wrong” side of the taper when used with a Q or Sig taper-shouldered barrel. Its a non-issue for me, with Griffin’s setup, and I don’t see a legion of TBAC or Half Nelson users complaining.

As far as waiting on the Lefty, it got announced two or 3 years ago, so I’d pull the trigger on something available now.

MistWolf
12-19-21, 14:29
I have a tapered direct thread end cap for my Omega to fit a BRT barrel with 5/8-24 threads. It was made by ECCO Machine and cost about $100. Beautifully made. Good people.

newtriumph
12-19-21, 15:04
I’m convinced the thread ahead of or behind the taper is a non-issue for most people. After all, a direct thread has no taper. And Q’s very own Half Nelson and Full Nelson have the threads on the “wrong” side of the taper when used with a Q or Sig taper-shouldered barrel. Its a non-issue for me, with Griffin’s setup, and I don’t see a legion of TBAC or Half Nelson users complaining.

As far as waiting on the Lefty, it got announced two or 3 years ago, so I’d pull the trigger on something available now.

Yeah they seem far more interested in hunting big game with super light bolt rifles than they do defense.

Pappabear
12-19-21, 16:04
That Dead Air Nomad Ti is amazing Mark spoke of. It’s 9.6 oz ( I think sub 10 for sure) and feels normal on an AR. I usually don’t care for 30 cal cans on AR’s because of the weight. This damn can was spot on.

I bought two of their SS cans because the Ti were sold out and 14 oz is acceptable to me. They also had $100 rebate for merchandise that I jumped on just in time.

PB