PDA

View Full Version : French mountaineer awarded portion of valuables he found

Slater
12-05-21, 12:20
Wonder how the laws in this country would apply to something like this (assuming you were honest and reported it):

"A mountaineer stumbled upon a treasure trove of jewels on a glacier off France's Mont Blanc in 2013.

The precious gems are believed to have belonged to a passenger who died in a plane crash.

Local authorities in Chamonix have agreed, after eight years, to share the jewels with the man who discovered them."

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mountaineer-found-trove-rubies-emeralds-162754804.html

just a scout
12-05-21, 12:50
The local and county would each want part, the Feds would take 60%, then all of would tax what’s left. Then investigate you so they could claim forfeiture of everything you have because it would be von texted to “the Drug Trade”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Averageman
12-05-21, 14:43
And this is why when you find valuables you stfu and move out smartly.

titsonritz
12-05-21, 14:46
He is a dumass and deserves nothing for taking it to the cops in the first place.

SteyrAUG
12-05-21, 15:16
Reseach Mel Fisher and the Atocha. He devoted almost his entire life to finding in and State of Florida tried to claim almost all of it.

ggammell
12-05-21, 15:17
He is a dumass and deserves nothing for taking it to the cops in the first place.

Says man on the internet.

Slater
12-05-21, 16:05
I've noticed that salvage crews tend to announce things like "We've found the wreck of a Spanish galleon that sank in 1618 and was reputed to be carrying a cargo of gold, jewels, etc."

Why not just STFU and try to do a recovery operation in silence?

Honu
12-05-21, 16:39
I've noticed that salvage crews tend to announce things like "We've found the wreck of a Spanish galleon that sank in 1618 and was reputed to be carrying a cargo of gold, jewels, etc."

Knowing this from my years diving so many laws regulations and in some countries it protects you actually :) I do agree part of me would be like take a finders fee of my own then report :) hahahahah nothing like a few 100lbs of gold of my own :)

Confirmation of that ship can also vary and needs to be confirmed etc... or you can/cant get salvage rights etc... or if you get caught you get in trouble or not as typical ALL governments get involved and control :)

SteyrAUG
12-05-21, 19:26

If they can catch guys with short lobster tails, trust me they are gonna notice anything bigger.

Slater
12-05-21, 19:31
Regarding the jewels, presumably the original owner's family/descendants aren't in the picture?

Jellybean
12-05-21, 20:28
Reseach Mel Fisher and the Atocha. He devoted almost his entire life to finding in and State of Florida tried to claim almost all of it.

Oh yeah, that guy was one of my childhood heroes.
Saw the national geographic documentary and of course got gold in me eyes, every kid thinks they're gonna go out and find treasure just like that. Many happy hours were spent pretending to dive and find the next Atocha...Then you grow up and realize the government are dicks, that level of expedition costs a small fortune, and most of the cool stuff has already been found anyway...

Per the gems, unless they were ginormously sized, or engraved with owner initials....I'm keeping mum.

SilverBullet432
12-05-21, 21:26

In many countries, you have to apply for a salvage permit first..

SteyrAUG
12-06-21, 02:54
Oh yeah, that guy was one of my childhood heroes.
Saw the national geographic documentary and of course got gold in me eyes, every kid thinks they're gonna go out and find treasure just like that. Many happy hours were spent pretending to dive and find the next Atocha...Then you grow up and realize the government are dicks, that level of expedition costs a small fortune, and most of the cool stuff has already been found anyway...

Per the gems, unless they were ginormously sized, or engraved with owner initials....I'm keeping mum.

So I was in Key West the summer he found it. They were still treating things and setting up the museum. My father had a practice in Key West and being a diver knew Mr. Fisher personally. I was introduced to him one night in a restaurant and the guy was still walking around in a fog unable to take it all in.

Lot of tragedy in that story. His son and daughter in law died in 1975 related to the search. Sometimes you get your white whale but at a heavy cost. Heavy silver bars formed the ballast of the ship and for decades divers had been pulling lobster out of them not knowing it was a massive, coral covered silver pile.

Honu
12-06-21, 10:18
Very cool

So I was in Key West the summer he found it. They were still treating things and setting up the museum. My father had a practice in Key West and being a diver knew Mr. Fisher personally. I was introduced to him one night in a restaurant and the guy was still walking around in a fog unable to take it all in.

Lot of tragedy in that story. His son and daughter in law died in 1975 related to the search. Sometimes you get your white whale but at a heavy cost. Heavy silver bars formed the ballast of the ship and for decades divers had been pulling lobster out of them not knowing it was a massive, coral covered silver pile.