PDA

View Full Version : Colt AR15A4...Which One Do I Want...AR15A4 or CR6700A4...?

SteyrAUG
12-10-21, 00:32
Seems the identical rifle is available in two model numbers, the AR15A4 and CR6700A4.

Now that Colt Defense no longer exists it's hard to know what is what anymore. Prices seem to be identical. What is the difference between the two and which one do I want?

kirkland
12-10-21, 00:57
One is milspec to the TDP and one is not

SteyrAUG
12-10-21, 04:48
One is milspec to the TDP and one is not

So which is which.

556Cliff
12-10-21, 09:02
Both are exactly the same except for the markings.

kirkland
12-10-21, 09:32
So which is which.

I was just kidding, I think they're the exact same thing. Just like the new CR 6920's, either one should be GTG

SteyrAUG
12-10-21, 20:39
Both are exactly the same except for the markings.

Thanks.

opngrnd
12-10-21, 21:09
For some reason, I really want one myself. They just vibe right.

utahjeepr
12-11-21, 09:06
Mechanally identical, but I'd opt for the AR15A4. Just cause I like the simpler, more straight forward model number.

SteyrAUG
12-11-21, 19:14
Mechanally identical, but I'd opt for the AR15A4. Just cause I like the simpler, more straight forward model number.

Roll marks are interesting. Both rifles seem to be from Colt Defense era.

One has the Colt logo and other just has rampant pony. One is marked AR-15 A4 and the other is simply marked Carbine even though it is a 20" rifle.

I'm assuming the 6700A4 was a transitional rifle based upon roll marks.

Bret
01-14-23, 14:40
For what it's worth, the chart on Wikipedia indicates that the AR6700 has a HBAR profile 1:9 twist barrel while the AR15A4 has an A2 profile 1:7 twist barrel. Can anyone confirm either?

Slater
01-14-23, 15:12
AR-15A4 = 1:7. Government profile:

https://www.colt.com/api.php?action=specsheet&product_id=25340&title=AR15A4%20Rifle

FWIW, I think the laser-etched markings look better (being more consistent) than rollmarks. Opinions differ on that, I realize.

Bret
01-14-23, 15:56
Thanks. I'll go with the AR15A4. It seems to be more readily available anyway.

weme06
01-15-23, 20:03
I purchased the Colt AR-15A4 summer 2022. Love the ambi-safety. I'm kinda mad that I had to adjust the windage in double digit clicks.

I would really consider the Windham Weaponry Government 20" A4 if I could do it over again. Lower price and free hard case and web sling. According to the Small Arms Solutions video, the Windham rifles are laser bore-sighted before leaving the factory.

Not selling my Colt though, lol.

Bret
01-15-23, 20:15
I would really consider the Windham Weaponry Government 20" A4 if I could do it over again. Lower price and free hard case and web sling. According to the Small Arms Solutions video, the Windham rifles are laser bore-sighted before leaving the factory.
I already have a Windham Weaponry Government 20" A4 along with a couple of other Windham rifles. It's been great so far and is cosmetically better than my Colts. I just can't get enough guns though.

556Cliff
01-15-23, 21:25
I purchased the Colt AR-15A4 summer 2022. Love the ambi-safety. I'm kinda mad that I had to adjust the windage in double digit clicks.

Not selling my Colt though, lol.

I'm curious, how many clicks did it take to zero the windage? Also, was it to the left or right? I'll say that Colt's are usually dead center for FSB alignment, so it is a little odd.

I know they slip through though, because I have a Colt 6720 upper (bought from Brownells when they were last selling them) that I had to crank the windage way off to the left for a left canted FSB.

weme06
01-15-23, 22:58
I'm curious, how many clicks did it take to zero the windage?

I'm 13 clicks to the right to be satisfied at 100 yards. Still lots of adjustment left of course, but it really irks me.

I don't have a ton of irons experience, but I never messed with the windage on my 6920-R with basic MBUS or the offset Midwest Industries that the 16" gun currently has.

Cheers

556Cliff
01-16-23, 09:39
I'm 13 clicks to the right to be satisfied at 100 yards. Still lots of adjustment left of course, but it really irks me.

I don't have a ton of irons experience, but I never messed with the windage on my 6920-R with basic MBUS or the offset Midwest Industries that the 16" gun currently has.

Cheers

It's hard to say what the cause might be... I'm starting to wonder if they've changed their barreling procedure and/or the order in which they install the FSB since they were bought by CZ. But, I'm still not seeing enough canted FSB reports from new Colt owners to think it's anything more than a few here and there that are just somehow slipping through the cracks.

If I have to go more than 10 clicks for windage it definitely triggers my OCD. I think I'm around 15 or so clicks with that 6720 upper.

Caballo
01-16-23, 09:44
For what it's worth, the chart on Wikipedia indicates that the AR6700 has a HBAR profile 1:9 twist barrel while the AR15A4 has an A2 profile 1:7 twist barrel. Can anyone confirm either?

Ar6700 and the short-lived cr6700a4 are different rifles. Cr6700a4 is no different than the ar15a4 except for the rollmark on the lower

grizzman
01-16-23, 10:34
I don’t remember how many clicks it took to zero it, but my several year old LE-6920FDEC required more than a typical amount. Neither of my others with free float handguards required more than a few clicks on their folding back up irons.

26 Inf
01-16-23, 23:54

On the off chance it is the detachable carry handle, have you checked to make sure it is mounted correctly with no burrs, etc.? Have you inspected the aperature to ensure there is no off center defect going on?

Along the same lines have you tried to zero with a quality BUIS?

That's all I got.

weme06
01-17-23, 16:26
On the off chance it is the detachable carry handle, have you checked to make sure it is mounted correctly with no burrs, etc.? Have you inspected the aperature to ensure there is no off center defect going on?

Along the same lines have you tried to zero with a quality BUIS?

Hi,

Regarding BUIS, I will definitely try my Magpul polymer rear sight next time, for science. Should be interesting.

Background on carry handle and aperture if you care:

I did the factory procedure for a 300 meter zero and was puzzled by the windage. I started a thread over the issue because I thought the rear sight being diagonal from spring tension was a problem and was informed that the orientation of the rear is normal. That thread had some really cool information posted by very knowledgeable people. The carry handle seems to retain zero as when I remounted and tried a 36 yard zero procedure the windage was nearly identical with three types of ammo.

The windage was annoying, but I could live with it. Elevation with a far zero was too baffling for me though. I had a local smith install a CSAT Paul Howe rear aperture on the carry handle since my brain is more comfortable with a 100 yard zero. If memory serves correctly, I'm at 13 right rather than the 14 right setting with the factory aperture (negligible).