PDA

View Full Version : How do you actually save money by reloading?

zippygaloo
12-14-08, 15:06
Considering I can get 50 rounds of basic 10mm Remington UMC 180gr FMJ loads for $25.50 (http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/pName/50rds-10mm-remington-umc-180gr-fmj-ammo/cName/10mm-fmj-ammo), how does one actually save money by reloading when each component (brass, power, primers, bullets) go for about $15 per 100?

kalikraven
12-14-08, 15:31
Because its called reloading:D you would'nt save any money if you had to buy brass all the time so you try to pick up your M-T's and load them again. No some run into the problem of shooting more rounds...

UVvis
12-14-08, 15:42
You have to buy in bulk or shoot less common calibers for it to work out well in your favor. Plus, you re-use the brass.

Based off your price, 500 rounds of 10mm would be 250$.

Lets say you buy the above ammo and reload it:

500 pieces of brass $0, you already have it.
500 bullets (you can do better than this) $100
500 Primers about $10
1lb of powder (more than enough for 500) $20

Then you have about $130 plus your time in the second loading.

If you buy powder by the eight pound jug, primers by the 5000 count case, and bulk bullets you can save even more. Shop around and look at various prices. Most people reload so they can shoot more for the same money.

Kevin
12-14-08, 15:49
$25.50 per 50 = 51 cents each.

You should be able to load a similiar round for about 30 cents or so each.

Powder about $18/lb; 7,000 grains per pound, about 7.5-ish or so grains per round, depending on what powder you use, = about .02 each

Primers at Sportsmans Warehouse are about $28 per 1,000 = about .028 each

Montana Gold has 40/180 FMJ's for $272 per 2,500 delivered, = about .108 each

Your biggest expense is brass, but its reloadable several times..

Starline sells new 10mm brass for $136/1000 = about .14 each

So now you're at about 29.6 cents each, but the cost goes down a little each time you reload as long as you find your brass.

Here's a reload calculator: http://www.classifiercalc.com/misc_calcs/rc.php

You probably won't save any $$ because you'll shoot more.....

andre3k
12-14-08, 16:03
Been reloading for ten years and I've yet to pay for any brass except for match brass. That is where the savings come from.

zippygaloo
12-14-08, 16:20
Thanks for the replys. Few more questions.

1. How do you feel about Once-Fired Brass?
2. How do you feel about buying pre-primed cases?
3. Some companies sell ammo labeled "Factory Reload". What exactly is a "Factory Reload"?

rubberneck
12-14-08, 17:43
Thanks for the replys. Few more questions.

1. How do you feel about Once-Fired Brass?
2. How do you feel about buying pre-primed cases?
3. Some companies sell ammo labeled "Factory Reload". What exactly is a "Factory Reload"?

1. Depends on the supplier. Some once fired brass isn't really once fired and is total crap. I have had good luck buying brass from Powder Valley.

2. If you are reloading it is a complete waste of time if you are using a good press like a Dillon.

3. Factory reloads are loaded to factory spec using used brass. Again some sources are better than others. Atlanta Arms and Ammo makes some of the best factory reloads you can get your hands on for a reasonable price. Black Hill makes factory reloads as well. Really good stuff but not reasonably priced IMHO.

ar-junkie
12-14-08, 20:27
[QUOTE=rubberneck;270190]

2. If you are reloading it is a complete waste of time if you are using a good press like a Dillon.

QUOTE]

I agree that some are better designed than others, but I seriously doubt there is a press on the market that is a complete waste of time. Some of us don't need a dillion that shoots out hundreds of rounds an hour. Is that what you mean by a waste of time? Just because others takes longer (single stage)? Or do you mean, without a dillion you can't create shootable rounds? I'd like to know the reloading companies, if any, that are a complete waste of time.

panzerr
12-14-08, 20:45
How do you save money?

Easy -one 45 ACP cartridge can go for 40-50 cents. My reloads cost 15 cents each. That's a considerable savings.

rubberneck
12-14-08, 23:40

QUOTE]

I agree that some are better designed than others, but I seriously doubt there is a press on the market that is a complete waste of time. Some of us don't need a dillion that shoots out hundreds of rounds an hour. Is that what you mean by a waste of time? Just because others takes longer (single stage)? Or do you mean, without a dillion you can't create shootable rounds? I'd like to know the reloading companies, if any, that are a complete waste of time.

The original poster asked about pre-primed brass not presses. My response was that using pre-primed brass was a waste of time using a (any) good press like a Dillon. I'd like to point out that was not an all inclusive list of good presses. If you feel that there are other presses of comparable quality to Dillon feel free to weigh in on your own personal experiences. I have a policy of not commenting on any product that I have never personally used and see no need to change that approach now.

Maybe my comments might have been clearer if I said that pre-primed brass is a complete waste of time with any quality progressive press as you don't really save any time, and the brass will have to be de-primed and resized in order to be used again. At that point you have added a whole new level of logistical problems by having to keep the primed cases separated from cleaned cases that need to be de-primed.

I will say this it does however make some sense to use pre-primed brass if all you have to work with is a single stage press or if you care more about turning out national match quality reloads than if you are looking to pump out good quality practice/match ammo.

ghideon
12-15-08, 01:44
You do not "save" money by reloading. What reloading allows (for me) is that I can shoot more than I could before.

Blinking Dog
12-15-08, 11:32
Don't forget to take into account the cost of the reloading equipment. You should amortize that over the number of rounds you reload. (Sorry, I'm a finance geek :D) So your first reloads will cost you a bunch then the cost goes down as you use it more. Make sense?

Once you take into account all the costs I have a hard time justifying it for shooting common calibers. Plus my time is very valuable ;).

panzerr
12-15-08, 13:15
Time is valuable, but I enjoy tinkering with equipment and trying different loads....besides, cheaper ammo means more rounds down range.

As far as reloading equipment goes, I gave my dad a Dillon 650 for Christmas while I was in the 'box and he doesn't have a problem sharing it with my reloading buddy and I. If you can find a way to economize like that it can certainly be worth the time.

Ipsilateral_7
12-15-08, 17:21
I've yet to save money reloading, because I just end up shooting more. My 550 has paid for itself 2 times over in 6000 rounds of just 45acp. To make it economical you have to get into good habits of picking up your brass and keeping an eye out for good deals on once-shot brass. I saved all my 45 brass for 2 years before I start reloading, so by the time I started, I already had several thousand pieces.

Right now, my time is valuable, but when i can sit down and churn out $250 worth of 45acp in less than 3 hours, it's worth it to save $100-150 that I can be spending on my kid or on more ammo components.

DesertWarrior13
12-17-08, 23:04
My brass is free for 40 S&W and 9 mm because I pick it up at the range and I go shooting with buddies that don't reload. :) Ya gotta love non-reloaders if you're a reloader!

My bullets are free! (.40's, 9's, .223's and .308's) How?

Here's how I do it.
I encourage people to get a Cabelas Club Visa card. It's a credit card of course but I use it like a debit card for everything like groceries, gas etc. With the card you earn 1% back on what you use the card for (2% if you use it for Cabelas' items). Then, I always pay it off! You can access your Cabelas' account online (Just like any bank these days) and pay it at anytime. (I just transfer money via internet from bank to Cabelas').

How much?
Depends on how much you use your card for; I earn about $25 to $30 bucks a month.
The points (cash amount) appears once a month. I use the points to buy mostly bullets for reloading. You could use them for other great stuff too! Save them points up for a few months and buy reloading tools and stuff. Last month, after saving up for 3 months I had about & $90. I ordered 500 .40's ($60) and then an M&P 15rd mag ($40). Add some state tax. (This only applies to states that have a Cabelas store). Anyway, I only spent $13 for these 2 items.

Sounds too good to be true. But I've been doing for about 2 years now and have never paid a fee or interest because I always pay it off.

Free brass, free bullets . . . doesn't get any better than that. :cool:
Unless, you buy powder and primers if you go to the store. If powder or primers are shipped it's like a $20 hazmat fee, each. So I don't have it shipped. My Cabelas is 100 mile round trip so I always ship. But now I have a friend at work that lives by Cabelas so he picked up my last order for me. (You can have it shipped to the store and avoid shipping charges)

By the way here is a cool reloading calculator. (you can google "reloading calculator" to get more sites like this).

http://10xshooters.com/calculators/Handgun_Reloading_Cost_Calculator.htm

markm
12-18-08, 08:07
Once you take into account all the costs I have a hard time justifying it for shooting common calibers. Plus my time is very valuable ;).

Common calibers are where you'll REALLY pay for the equipment. I think I figured that 4 thousand rounds of .45acp paid for my set up. My gear was paid for 7 years ago probably.

Loading .223 is as close to printing money as you can legally get.

markm
12-18-08, 08:11
You do not "save" money by reloading. What reloading allows (for me) is that I can shoot more than I could before.

Your cost per round goes down significantly. As far as saving money... that depends on how you look at it.

If you shoot twice as much, but your ammo costs you 1/2 the price of factory ammo, then I suppose you could say you're not saving money.

Limey-
12-18-08, 09:48
Depends on how much you shoot. It is a no brainer if you shoot much and particularly a large calibre pistol or rifle calibre.
45 brass is generally good for 10+ reloads. Makes for cheap ammo if you shop around.

Edm
12-18-08, 11:54
I have never bought a box of 10mm shells in my life. And I shoot more 10mm than anything. I can load it to its 40 short and weak level or to what it was designed for level.

ghideon
12-18-08, 18:40
Your cost per round goes down significantly. As far as saving money... that depends on how you look at it.

If you shoot twice as much, but your ammo costs you 1/2 the price of factory ammo, then I suppose you could say you're not saving money.

Heh, exactly. I shoot a lot of 9 (now up to 2000rnds/month, after the reloader was purchased).

My rough estimates where that it cost be $20/100rnds at Walmart for WWB, and I could reload for $10/100rnds. My equipment was about $1000 (Dillon 650), so the break even point would be 10,000 rounds loaded. I hit that much, much earlier than I thought I would. Also ended up getting dies for 38/357, and .223.

Blitzking
12-19-08, 19:35
Go to the local indoor range on a busy night, fire 50 to 100 rounds Pick up 5 to 600 rounds of brass from 3 to 4 lanes (keep it low profile) do this as often as possible!

markm
12-22-08, 12:06
The upside to the slower economy is that copper prices are less than half. This keeps the brass scrap value lower, which translates into less people picking up empties.

We picked up a shitload of brass this weekend at my shooting spot.

Parabellum9x19mm
12-22-08, 12:21
The upside to the slower economy is that copper prices are less than half.

that's great for you brass monkeys, but what about the rest of us?

shouldn't it stand to reason that WITH the falling price of copper that ammo should get cheaper...but it hasn't :confused:

the price of oil fell and gasoline is near $1/ga here. no i am not an economist, just a consumer looking for a frickin break once in a while

markm
12-22-08, 12:49
shouldn't it stand to reason that will the falling price of copper that ammo should get cheaper...but it hasn't :confused:

I would have to GUESS that the Ammo producers are hedged. Thus the cheap raw materials that we are seeing now are offset by their hedge positions.

Not to mention the FACT that ammo demand isn't down at all.

achildofthesky
02-17-09, 21:41
I don't really save that much but I shoot a whole lot more at the same price as storebought and my ammo is very consistant. Brass is always free I have hundreds of #'s of it in a lot of calibers. I shop for smokin' deals on bullets for blasting and save most of the hunting fodder for that, buy powder in 8# jugs (a friend gave me 8# of Win 296 and some Herco for my 44 mag's), buy primers atleast 1k at a time preferrably more (get em locally to save on hazmat). I have handrolled the majority of my ammo excepting 9mm since I was 12 and consider loading time an enjoyable pass time.

Be safe
Patty

BuckskinJoe
02-19-09, 09:39
Does reloading save money?
Answer: It really depends.

Just considering the cost of replaced components--primer, propellant, bullet--yes, it is cheaper. For .40 and .45 handgun ammunition, I am reloading (Zero FMJ bullets) at about half the cost of white-box Winchester ammo from Wal-Mart.

However, the brass has to come from someplace, and brass will only handle a relatively small number of reloading cycles.

The initial outlay for reloading equipment can be substantial: press, dies, scale, powder measure, polisher, etc., etc. My equipment, RCBS single stage, is now over 30 years old (heavens!!); so, I no longer consider equipment costs.

Finally, one must consider the time involved. Personally, I consider reloading time "therapy." A trauma surgeon shooting friend doesn't! He shoots all new factory ammo (Wally World white box Winchester.) I get a lot of once-fired brass from him!

My opinion: if you shoot a lot and like the idea of making a hobby of reloading, then have at it! Over a long enough period of time, you will save some cash.
If you don't shoot a lot and-or view reloading as an onerous chore, then endear yourself to your shooting friends by being a source of once-fired brass. :)

markm
02-19-09, 10:04
However, the brass has to come from someplace, and brass will only handle a relatively small number of reloading cycles.

Pistol brass will last a really long time. But indeed rifle brass has a shorter lifespan, I can mine after 3 loadings generally.

I'm constantly finding once fired brass. A little here a little there, and my brass supply grows faster than I can wear it out.

My opinion: if you shoot a lot and like the idea of making a hobby of reloading, then have at it! Over a long enough period of time, you will save some cash.
If you don't shoot a lot and-or view reloading as an onerous chore, then endear yourself to your shooting friends by being a source of once-fired brass. :)

You said it ALL right there.

achildofthesky
02-19-09, 12:46
As I related I don't save an awful lot on costs because I shoot a heck of a lot more now for a bit less $$ than factory fodder.

I have definitely amortized the costs of my RCBS RC, dies, scales, etc... in a relatively short period of time given that I shoot a fair amount. Also if I stop shooting a particular caliber I can sell the dies for about 70-75% of what I paid for them. I bought my current single stage rig and ancillaries as a slightly used kit on fleabay. I currently and loading 44 mag, 30-06, 45-70, 30-30 and 280...

Most of the ammo I load is range blasting or target spec and 'mebbe 10% hunting spec ammo. I can't put a price on a nice relaxing hobby that can be done whenever I care to. Also, not included in my calculations is the fact that brass sales TOTALLY pay for my component costs.

My next acquisition will be some sort of "hand" press (not lee loader) for whipping up a few boxes up as needed during a spot shortage or during a hunting trip.

Most of the projectiles I buy for just shooting are acquired from various online gun oriented classifieds sections. I have found some SMOKIN' deals from folks selling out components in a particular caliber for pennies on the dollar.

I found a local shooter supply store that had about 20 boxes of .308 dia bullets in several weights I wanted for my 30-06 and 30-30 and the prices were $13 a box of 100... Not too bad. So I bought all 10 boxes...

Also another resource that you can use to save a fair bit is "BLEM" bullets from places like midway or the like. I bought a big slug (pun intended) of them from Midway last year during their Blem bullet sale that seems to happen around xmas. I got some great deals on Hornady bullets for my 45-70, 44 Mag and 280. The blem condition is basically a very light handling tarnish on a few of them. They shoot just fine....

Be safe and look for deals.

Patty

chadbag
02-20-09, 04:08

QUOTE]

He was referring to preprimed cases. If you use something like a Dillon, preprimed cases are a waste.

chadbag
02-20-09, 04:12
Common calibers are where you'll REALLY pay for the equipment. I think I figured that 4 thousand rounds of .45acp paid for my set up. My gear was paid for 7 years ago probably.

amen and amen

I set up a 1050 for 223 (as a demo press to show customers of course). Using already existing brass, and bulk bullets, bulk primers, and surplus powders I am loading for 1/2 or less of buying ammo. (actually since I have a large supply of 55 and 62 grain slugs from the mid 90s I recently "found" again it is even cheaper with 3-4 cent slugs instead of 7-8 cent slugs now)

Chad

chadbag
02-20-09, 04:13
I would have to GUESS that the Ammo producers are hedged. Thus the cheap raw materials that we are seeing now are offset by their hedge positions.

Not to mention the FACT that ammo demand isn't down at all.

It is more demand and capacity right now

markm
02-20-09, 07:30
It is more demand and capacity right now

For sure.

MarshallDodge
02-20-09, 13:38
I just love to reload and I love the results! :cool:

Everybody around here is clamouring for ammo and creating huge shortages. Last time I was at Walmart they had two boxes of 45 and nothing else except 12 gauge. My stockpile of reloading components that cost me far less than loaded ammo keep me and my guns running.

Semper Paratus
02-20-09, 19:28
To tell you the truth I don't save any money reloading.......I just shoot a hell of alot morte for the same amount of money.....Like 4 times as much bang for the buck im pistol calibers and 3X in rifle

markm
02-21-09, 09:04
Everybody around here is clamouring for ammo and creating huge shortages. Last time I was at Walmart they had two boxes of 45 and nothing else except 12 gauge. My stockpile of reloading components that cost me far less than loaded ammo keep me and my guns running.

For sure. I have reloaded rifle ammo that I may NEVER get around to shooting. I fill up ammo cans and forget about it.

Honu
02-21-09, 11:58
QUALITY I can build quality ammo for the price of plinking ammo

this is one thing that many like about it also ?

OgenRwot
02-21-09, 12:49

Haha, very well said. That's exactly why I started re-loading.

boltcatch
02-22-09, 18:14
Were it not for my Dillon, I simply wouldn't be able to afford shooting centerfire rifle at all. Period.

I already had about 3k rounds of .223 brass on hand because I had planned to reload "some day". Now... sure, I could have saved the money I put into the equipment and spent it on ammo later, but now it would only get me 2K rounds or less. That's easy to shoot up in practice, and then where would I be? I spent 2 years during which I didn't have much time to shoot anyways and bought reloading tools instead of ammo.

Furthermore, money rolled into stockpiling components goes a lot farther than money spent on loaded rounds. I recently picked up 1250 projectiles for making rounds that go for about $1 a round in factory loaded ammo - for 10 cents per projectile. I still have boxes of 1k Winchester 55gr FMJ that I paid under $40 for. Reloading gets me 2-3 times as many rounds for the money