PDA

View Full Version : WWII Okinawa vet tells his story

ABNAK
12-17-21, 19:20
Dude has an amazing memory. At times he closes his eyes and you can tell he is seeing it all over again. He is very matter-of-fact. Shows off a couple of his "souvenirs". Love this old dude! Well worth the 20 minutes. You won't regret it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW4Y_FMMDI0

flenna
12-18-21, 14:21
Good video, those men will all be gone in the near future and their stories need to be documented and remembered.. A very good read is With The Old Breed by Eugene Sledge. He fought at Peleliu and Okinawa and his first hand account of the battles will burn themselves into your memory.

MAUSER202
12-18-21, 14:29
Good video, those men will all be gone in the near future and their stories need to be documented and remembered.. A very good read is With The Old Breed by Eugene Sledge. He fought at Peleliu and Okinawa and his first hand account of the battles will burn themselves into your memory.

Enjoyed the video, truly the greatest, most humble generation.
Excellent book too, it’s one of the books the series “The Pacific “ was based on. Reading the books makes the series so much better.

chuckman
12-18-21, 15:34

Given my cancer I cannot participate this year, but there is a run on a beach near Camp Lejeune named after Sledge, the Sledgehammer. I'm gonna run it next year.

Jellybean
12-18-21, 23:26

I really need to get around to reading that one day - see how well Pacific stacked up to what he wrote.
If you want another real "burn itself into your mind" read, Sniper On The Eastern Front is a go-to. He gets to Russia right around chapter 2 or so, and the story goes balls-out bonkers from there and doesn't let up to the end of the book. I appreciate the sort of "no BS" way it's written too. No idea how anyone survived that...

SteyrAUG
12-19-21, 02:50
I really need to get around to reading that one day - see how well Pacific stacked up to what he wrote.
If you want another real "burn itself into your mind" read, Sniper On The Eastern Front is a go-to. He gets to Russia right around chapter 2 or so, and the story goes balls-out bonkers from there and doesn't let up to the end of the book. I appreciate the sort of "no BS" way it's written too. No idea how anyone survived that...

Yeah, that book disabused me of some of my previously held misconceptions. Some real shit went on in the German / Russian conflict that never really made it's way into OUR history books.

chuckman
12-19-21, 07:15

The Pacific was framed on Sledge's book and Robert Leckie's book, but a smattering of other sources. Instead of following one unit through the war a la Band of Brothers it focuses on the same handful of people in different units. If you read the books and go back watch again you enjoy it more.

flenna
12-19-21, 07:27
The Pacific was framed on Sledge's book and Robert Leckie's book, but a smattering of other sources. Instead of following one unit through the war a la Band of Brothers it focuses on the same handful of people in different units. If you read the books and go back watch again you enjoy it more.

Robert Leckie’s book Helmet For My Pillow is a classic and another must read- he fought at Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester and Peleliu. His perspective, experiences and writing style is much different than Sledge’s and the contrast is somewhat enjoyable.