PDA

View Full Version : Endomag blew up

TacticalSpeed
12-19-21, 10:06
I have been using Endomags for a bit now (Purchased a 3 pack), in more than 1 firearm, until yesterday...

First, one of the Endomags would not function right so I stopped using that one. Then another was so defective that it blew up the PMAG it was in. Please see the link of photos below for what happened at the range yesterday.

https://imgur.com/a/g2nImGb

I am lucky the lower receive did its job and kept the chaos in the mag well. I could have been severely injured...or worse...

More than one person, range officers and armorers, at the range confirmed the Endomag was to blame.

Stickman
12-19-21, 11:05
For people who aren't aware of what an Endomag is, it is an insert that allows 9mm ammo to fire out of a PMAG. It is like a restrictive sleeve placed inside the PMAG.

Since the Endomag insert has nothing to do with how the weapon fires, how did more than one person explain the Endomag causes a round to fire out of battery?

TacticalSpeed
12-19-21, 11:54
For people who aren't aware of what an Endomag is, it is an insert that allows 9mm ammo to fire out of a PMAG. It is like a restrictive sleeve placed inside the PMAG.

Since the Endomag insert has nothing to do with how the weapon fires, how did more than one person explain the Endomag causes a round to fire out of battery?

No sure how it has nothing to do with firing when that's where the bolt picks the round up from...

12-19-21, 12:16
This was on a straight blowback gun?

TacticalSpeed
12-19-21, 12:19
This was on a straight blowback gun?

AR9 rifle

jackblack73
12-19-21, 13:19
I don't understand how a mag could blow up a gun either. Did it prevent the bolt from fully going into battery?

TacticalSpeed
12-19-21, 13:21
I don't understand how a mag could blow up a gun either. Did it prevent the bolt from fully going into battery?

What? the rifle is fine

TacticalSpeed
12-19-21, 13:21

What? the rifle is fine. The Endomag insert was the cause of the pproblem

Inkslinger
12-19-21, 13:26
What? the rifle is fine. The Endomag insert was the cause of the pproblem

How did it cause the problem is what people are asking.

jesuvuah
12-19-21, 13:42
Did the gun fire out of battery?

Or did the mag just spontaneously blow up.

I used to run endo mags in a RDB and I fail to see how they would cause this

If it did fire out of battery, that is somewhat of a risk on any blowback gun. And if it did do that, it's probably going to blow your mag apart.

Soli Deo Gloria

26 Inf
12-20-21, 00:53
How many rounds do you have on the AR9?

One of the problems with Endomags, from my perspective, is that the Endomag has the ejector as part of the mag. If the mag is removed before the bolt is brought to the rear a chambered round will be extracted and almost always held in place on the face of the bolt.

This could potentially lead to someone who follows a 'normal' unload and clear, to remove the mag, lock the bolt to the rear, look into the chamber, see that is clear and let the bolt go home, inadvertently chambering a round. A good reason to use chamber flags IMO.

Back to your PCC: I've seen several out of battery rounds fired in PCCs. One had a barrel with an out of spec chamber. The other IMO simply didn't have enough spring to fully seat slightly oversized reloads. Your mag was more than likely the victim of an out of battery round firing, as the poster above mentioned.

Stickman
12-20-21, 11:09
I am lucky the lower receive did its job and kept the chaos in the mag well. I could have been severely injured...or worse...

More than one person, range officers and armorers, at the range confirmed the Endomag was to blame.

The issue is that you don't bother to explain how anyone came to this conclusion. Since there are multiple reasons you could have experienced what we are assuming is an OOB detonation, you have us wondering what you are talking about.

Stickman
12-20-21, 11:11
No sure how it has nothing to do with firing when that's where the bolt picks the round up from...

Please explain how the magazine is responsible for the weapon firing process. Please break it down into the cycle of operation when you do, that will make it clear to all. I appreciate your help with this.

Stickman
12-20-21, 11:15
AR9 rifle

Wait a minute, how are you fitting a PMAG into an AR9 style weapon? An AR9 uses pistol magazines, and you stated you are using an Endomag.

You are throwing out info all over the place that makes no sense to me. Maybe I need more coffee, but people are asking your basic questions and you don't seem to be willing to answer any of them. It sounds more like you came here to badmouth a company. Speaking of which, according to board rules, you need to contact a company before making complaints.... What did Endomag say when you contacted them about the issue you say they caused?

cutter_spc
12-20-21, 19:50
I was a rather early adopter of the Endomag inserts. I have somewhere north of 5,000 rounds through just 3 of them. I personally can't brag enough about them. Those three still look brand new. I can't for the life of me see how the insert or mag could cause a round to go off.

I would like to see the case and bullet in question. Bet you can't find the bullet because it probably got launched out the barrel. And if it shot the bullet out the barrel, the round was in the action when it went off. I agree, this smells like an out of battery detonation.

AndyLate
12-21-21, 08:19
I tried the endomags and the didn't work in my combination of parts, so I swapped them with a member here for some .22 AR mags and they ran fine for him.

There is simply no way the endomags caused or contributed to your event. The gun fired with the bolt partially open and the unsupported case let go. The endomag suffered the same fate any polymer mag would have and the powder gasses passed safely out through the mag well.

Andy

utahjeepr
12-21-21, 10:08
I've seen the results of an OOB firing like you describe in a Glock mag 9mm AR. That one was caused by a filthy chamber. Suppressed, dirty as hell, carbon build up appeared to have progressively cause the rounds to seat further and further OOB, until BOOM!

I should have examined the mag. Everyone knows Glock mags are kinda sketchy. ;)

lysander
12-21-21, 22:19
Do you have a pic of the brass that "blew-up"?

eman
12-28-21, 14:05
Magazine is the path of least resistance and therefore first place the force of a catastrophic failure for other reasons will be directed to. I have 600 rounds through 3 endomags completely malfunction free , but put a stern block in the main 556 lower I run my Fm9 upper on to get conventional manual of arms for clearing and functionality with glock mags. The 3 converted Pmags did so well they remain in my parts bin as is and I keep my spare lower with a heavy buffer in it ready to run them if the mood strikes me to train with 9 in 556 magazines.

I’d be curious to know how the rifle is
set up. Spring, buffer, type of ammo. Store bought, home built, or complete upper slapped on multi cal lower with 4.9 ounce buffer and 308 spring??!

I let a seasoned Army vet with years of rifle time try my AR9 when I was using Endomags. He was a big gun guy before me and was into ARs for years before I got my first. He had never seen Endomags before and I had to explain them and the clearing procedure to him. It isn’t inconceivable a lot of range personnel have never seen it or are only vaguely familiar with them. So you show them a catastrophic failure with a rifle that does not look otherwise damaged and the magazine blown apart.

They see the magazine is what looks like some sort of gimicky aftermarket conversion doodad so they assume that must have been the problem, because maybe most of them aren’t experienced students of catastrophic failures and how they happen. Their main qualifications are they know how to tell people to keep the muzzle down range and finger off the trigger when not firing, and how to run somebody through the basics of operating anything sold or rented in the store.