PDA

View Full Version : Pakistan's new BW-20 rifle

Slater
12-19-21, 21:05
Wonder what they changed to get from 200 parts down to 125?

"While BW20 uses roller-delayed blowback, it is not just an upgrade of the G3. At the moment, BW20 shares about 30% of spare parts with G3 in order to decrease production costs and necessary investments. From the ground up, the rifle was designed to be produced on machinery used for G3 manufacturing to use existing infrastructure. The entire rifle consists of 125 parts, while the original G3 has about 200 parts."

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/12/17/new-roller-delayed-battle-rifle-bw20-pakistan-ordnance-factories/

utahjeepr
12-19-21, 21:54
The Pakis are all over the board. They have a mix of weaponry, based on both NATO and Russian designs. POF developed an SR-25 knockoff a while back too. Supposedly to be the replacement for their aging G3s also. They also built an AK-103 knockoff.

Their higher end special units use all US/NATO weapons.

Who knows what they will actually end up fielding.

SteyrAUG
12-19-21, 23:03

Paddle mag release, trigger group frame, probably most of the original trigger box setup. Looks like they are basically running a G3 top group on an AR10 style lower group. Besides the politics of funding the Paki military, I'd rather have a PTR rifle. I'm sure they've also managed to work in a lot of polymer components.

Jellybean
12-20-21, 02:54
They forgot a few upon re-assembly but it still worked, so it's now a feature not a bug? :p

Ok, in all fairness, the stock looks retarded, but it's hardly the worst G3 modernization project I've ever seen.

C-grunt
12-20-21, 11:00
Turkey recently re-fielded battle rifles as their issued infantry rifle and now Pakistan is staying with a battle rifle. We are testing new battle rifles.

I wonder if we are going to see a resurgence in the battle rifle worldwide?

Slater
12-20-21, 11:07
Turkey's current battle rifle is called the MPT-76, which is slowly replacing their well-worn G3's. I read that Turkey tested the 5.56mm round but their soldiers preferred the range and hitting power of the 7.62mm round. Whether that's true or BS I'm not sure.

C-grunt
12-20-21, 14:14
Turkey's current battle rifle is called the MPT-76, which is slowly replacing their well-worn G3's. I read that Turkey tested the 5.56mm round but their soldiers preferred the range and hitting power of the 7.62mm round. Whether that's true or BS I'm not sure.

I thought Turkey was buying Sig AR10s?

C-grunt
12-20-21, 14:22
Nevermind, just looked it up. India is adopting the Sig 716. So another military going to or sticking to a battle rifle.

Heavyweight
12-20-21, 15:33
Damn...looks just like the AR and G3 got ****ed up and had a baby. And a damn ugly baby at that. Jesus wept.

lowprone
12-20-21, 18:55
Those countries have similar topography to Afghanistan, witnessed our struggle w/556 @extended ranges and learned.

SteyrAUG
12-20-21, 19:05
Those countries have similar topography to Afghanistan, witnessed our struggle w/556 @extended ranges and learned.

They also have existing infrastructure for 7.62 rifles and ammo and may not be in a hurry to change out everything.

RUTGERS95
12-20-21, 20:12
obviously NATO not going to battle rifle but I do like to see more countries with them.

RUTGERS95
12-20-21, 20:28
I gotta say, I like it

BoringGuy45
12-20-21, 20:41
obviously NATO not going to battle rifle but I do like to see more countries with them.

Obviously they have their place, but I think for a modern army service rifle, they're a bit obsolete. They obviously have a clear edge in range and power over assault rifles, and yeah, for campaigns in more mountainous terrain, they do make sense since engagement distances will likely be longer. But for a one size fits most rifle, I think the rest of the world is going to stick with assault rifles.

SteyrAUG
12-20-21, 20:51
Obviously they have their place, but I think for a modern army service rifle, they're a bit obsolete. They obviously have a clear edge in range and power over assault rifles, and yeah, for campaigns in more mountainous terrain, they do make sense since engagement distances will likely be longer. But for a one size fits most rifle, I think the rest of the world is going to stick with assault rifles.

Agreed. And for DMR special purpose we already have SR-25 and 417s in inventory. I'm a huge fan of the roller bolt, but I don't think it's revolutionary enough for anyone running the above the transition over. You look at what HK had to do in order to get 1MOA out of the PSG1 and you realize it's not really the operating system for that role.

I think a PSG1 is a remarkable firearm, but a SR-25 will clown it all day long for more than half the price.

Slater
12-20-21, 21:09
The Indian military ordered around 144,000 716i's from SIG, although they didn't have the money to buy new optics for them. These are reportedly issued to troops in the border regions, as opposed to general issue. These have the 6 o'clock Pic rail.

https://i.imgur.com/w62LGJrl.jpg

TBAR_94
12-20-21, 21:26

I used to think like this, but I’m not so sure the logic holds. Can the average soldier shoot well enough in combat conditions to make use of the increased range? Especially if there are no or limited optics. And, in mountainous terrain where logistics are more complicated, the extra ammo in a basic load, or the lighter weight of 5.56 or 5.45 might be worth more than the potential to shoot further. Looking at Pakistan specifically, their most dangerous threat is India, where they’ll be outnumbered and need all the ammo then can carry. Most likely is counterinsurgency against militants, where they’re likely going up against beat up AKs and ambush tactics, again where volume of fire is probably more useful than a theoretical 800m range. Of course, if they have absurd quantities of 7.62 it may be a logistics based choice, but ammo in a warehouse does them no good in combat.

RUTGERS95
12-20-21, 21:35

I don't disagree but in the video, we saw 2 different shooters on what seemed liked, controlled full auto. Remember, it was full auto uncontrollability that doomed the battle rifle concept more so than load out. I've always said, if they can create a way to tame the recoil impulse then things could change. Not saying they did but the video is impressive

utahjeepr
12-20-21, 21:48
To Steyr's point, it's one thing to swap out new rifles. It's a whole other thing to change over your entire logistics chain. Radical changes that make current inventory obsolete requires a significant expenditure. The nations in question here don't exactly have that kind of military budget.

RUTGERS95
12-20-21, 22:08
To Steyr's point, it's one thing to swap out new rifles. It's a whole other thing to change over your entire logistics chain. Radical changes that make current inventory obsolete requires a significant expenditure. The nations in question here don't exactly have that kind of military budget.

agreed! He's spot on there, logistics matter

RUTGERS95
12-20-21, 22:09

agreed! He's spot on there, logistics matter

Slater
12-20-21, 22:16
Turkey and Pakistan have been using G3's forever, so they seem comfortable with that caliber.

Alpha-17
12-21-21, 07:18
I have to admit, I don't hate how it looks. G3 meets AR, with a few lines from the SCAR thrown in. Wonder if it'll actually be any good? Cool to see more battle rifles take the stage, and in their situation, likely a good idea.

RUTGERS95
12-21-21, 09:03
I have to admit, I don't hate how it looks. G3 meets AR, with a few lines from the SCAR thrown in. Wonder if it'll actually be any good? Cool to see more battle rifles take the stage, and in their situation, likely a good idea.

I like the looks too and from the video, appears to be well balanced and controllable. I'd like to get my hands on one to play with

ABNAK
12-22-21, 18:21
They sure do dig that 7.62 NATO don't they?

El Vaquero
12-22-21, 18:24
In that video there’s a scene that looks like they’re trying to market their rifle for the ISIS/terrorist customers, lol. It’s the shot where the guy in the black balaclava is shooting behind the white Toyota Hi-lux. All the truck needed was a huge truck bed mounted AA gun, lol.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-25-21, 15:45
I think it's a cool idea. Still, if I was in charge I would probably just counterfeit the Spuhr stock, integrate plastic lowers, cut the barrel to 16.5, and weld on pic rails on the top of the gun. Use the savings on a 3x Fixed optic with an etched reticle and a battery powered dot. I've never been to Pakistan but I suspect they would benefit from the durability of the old-line battle rifles over the speed benefits of newer designs.

BUT, since I am not in charge, I still think this is a cool development. The G3 system is incredibly durable and reliable so if you can successfully indicate AR-10 ergos you could have one heck of a battle rifle.