PDA

View Full Version : Benefit of freefloat handguard?

1986s4
12-22-21, 15:42
I am pondering the question of installing a free float handguard on one of my carbines. It's use is competition, training and general purpose. Currently it is composed as follows: Centurion HF SOCOM profile barrel, Colt upper receiver with Magpul SL handguard. The front sight is a traditional A frame. Currently nothing is bolted to the handguard save for a sling loop. Other than bolting things onto the handguard my understanding is that a free float can render better accuracy. So the question is will the accuracy gained be worth the cost [$200+] of the handguard?
Thanks

titsonritz
12-22-21, 15:51
It helps prevent POI shift while bearing down on a barricade/bipod or cinching up on a sling.

12-22-21, 16:12
For me it makes a place to put the sling mount at the rear of the rail, allows the light to be mounted further out and eliminates the need for a VFG. It’s less parts than the FSB/cap arrangement, lighter, and just all around easier to deal with. The free float aspect is an added bonus but not the primary reason for that type of handguard.

Disciple
12-22-21, 16:34
So the question is will the accuracy gained be worth the cost [$200+] of the handguard?

You don't need to spend that much. Possibilities include Primary Arms house brand 15" for $120 (https://www.primaryarms.com/expo-arms-m-lok-combat-series-handguard-black-15), or Midwest Industries if you wait for a sale (https://gun.deals/product/midwest-industries-free-float-handguard-m-lok-slim-line-12625-9999).

NWcityguy2
12-22-21, 17:10
A free-float handguard will prevent POI shifts when it doesn't have the same level of support compared to when it was zeroed. I measured the results with my non-free-floated AR upper and saw a 4" POI shift down when shooting with a magazine monopod. When the handguards were supported, either firmly by a solid object or softly with a winter jacket, there was no POI shift.

The price of the free-float handguard is irrelevant when it comes to this advantage.

Edit: I should add that the 4" POI shift was at 100 yards

MistWolf
12-22-21, 17:16
Here's my take-
-You won't know if a free float tube will be a benefit to you until you shoot your AR. Go shoot your AR as is until you discover how a free float tube will benefit you or the standard drop in handguards work well enough.

Most of my ARs sport MagPul Slimline handguards and they work great. However, I have two builds I need FF tubes for. One is an 11.5 precision upper. The other is an 8.5 inch 300 BLK upper. The precision upper will get a FF tube because it's a precision upper. The 300 BLK will get a FF tube because it has a pistol length gas system. It currently has a Magpul carbine length hand guard I modified to fit, but it isn't as secure as I'd like.

Go shoot your AR as is. Soon enough you'll know if you want a FF tube.

12-22-21, 18:40
For me it makes a place to put the sling mount at the rear of the rail,
For anyone using with M4 RAS, grab a huge zip-tie and make a loop in the front end of the sling, and zip it ahead of the receivers.

A free-float handguard will prevent POI shifts when it doesn't have the same level of support compared to when it was zeroed. I measured the results with my non-free-floated AR upper and saw a 4" POI shift down when shooting with a magazine monopod. When the handguards were supported, either firmly by a solid object or softly with a winter jacket, there was no POI shift.

The price of the free-float handguard is irrelevant when it comes to this advantage.
This. I’ve found meaningful shifts going from prone supported to prone unsupported with .mil guns. A free-float is not immune to shifts, but much less tendency.

VIP3R 237
12-22-21, 20:37
It helps prevent POI shift while bearing down on a barricade/bipod or cinching up on a sling.

I was cranking it hard to prove a point, but by pulling the sling I saw a 4 moa shift at 100y.

markm
12-22-21, 20:58
There was a great thread on this 5 plus years back when we had some more SME's posting actively. Not only is the POI shift a piece of it. There's some barrel heat implications too.

vicious_cb
12-22-21, 21:50

Bingo.

Forget the accuracy claims, you'll only see that if you are shooting exclusively off the bench.

markm
12-23-21, 07:29
KevinB was in the original thread. I think he works for KAC now. Worth searching for.

1986s4
12-23-21, 07:31
Very interesting replies, thank you all. If there are any more reasons to get a free float guard please chime in. Most of my shooting is competition, practice and zero checking [due to ammo prices a lot more zero checks than training/practice]. My favorite competition these days is 2 gun which requires many interesting positions. I use the magazine as a monopod quite a bit, shooting through barricades, prone, horizontal, etc. Using rocks as a rest and other things. From the responses it seems a free float tube could eliminate some variables.

gaijin
12-23-21, 07:56

What Tits said. A longer FF Rail can do away with having to place barrel directly on an awkward, hard surface- which fuks up barrel harmonics/accuracy.

RUTGERS95
12-23-21, 18:17
centurion has some nice deals right now but you can get a good handguard for less than $100

Handguards are a diminishing return item, you don't need gucci and you don't need to spend a lot. The main objective is to alleviate any stress on the barrel to avoid poi as stated. I think Centurion has their cmr rails for just over a hundred and their newer mlok rail (blem) for 115. I have two of the blems and I can't find the imperfection

Mysteryman
12-23-21, 18:32
KevinB was in the original thread. I think he works for KAC now. Worth searching for.

I believe he is with S&W now..