PDA

View Full Version : The Matrix Resurrections

WillBrink
12-23-21, 08:44
The Matrix Resurrections: Review

The Matrix series has always explored the issues of free will and the nature of reality* and this installment focuses on that perhaps more then the past movies. This movie incorporates various elements of the past movies, used actual footage in spots, and all the important major, and some minor, characters are back in some form or another. It was great to see them all - in what ever form they took- for me. A totally new character played by Neil Patrick Harris (The Analyst) was well done. I thought Keanu Reeves did a surprisingly good job in the acting for this movie, and let's be honest, acting is not his strong suit...

Like all Matrix movies, if you fail to suspend your disbelief enough (red pill moment?) and start asking questions like why do they keep shooting at the Agents when they know it does not do anything but waste ammo (can you run out of ammo in the Matrix?), and such, you enjoy it less. Like past Matrix movies, this one has its strengths and weaknesses in the same places for the same reasons.

The acting and casting was solid, the visuals, and related were solid. Some of the action scenes drag a bit and can visually seem bit generic, but we are also used to the Matrix action style and the countless movies that knocked them off too, so I think that's part of it too. Some of the fight/action scenes do drag a bit and feel rehashed but still visually fun to watch.

The hokie trope that love conquers all is still the underlying message that saves the world, and it gets close to getting into all inclusive wokeness, but it's not bad enough to ruin the experience and the past movies had some of that too.

It combines enough elements of the past movies to make viewers feel fun nostalgia and adds modern aspects that work. My guess is for those who only thought the first one was any good, will not like this movie. Those who enjoyed them all to varying degrees as I did, should enjoy this movie. Finally, as with the past Matrix, the visuals and audio are a large part of The Matrix Resurrections, so unless you have a legit HT system, it's one of those movies best enjoyed in the theater.

Me, I enjoyed the hell out of and the scene where Mr Anderson has to be re red pilled was great.

A-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNpvWBuTfrc&t=46s

* Which continues to be a topic hotly debated by physicists, philosophers, theologians, etc

WillBrink
12-23-21, 09:52
This vid does a great job of explaining the key aspects of the movie, but contains major spoilers, so don't watch if you have not seen the movie would be my advice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrRfpImPkk0

KUSA
12-23-21, 10:05
I liked it and want to see another one.

The only thing I could do without was the swarm mode. It was too zombi.

WillBrink
12-23-21, 11:50

Agreed. It was trying too hard to tap into the zombie fixation people have these days. It also dragged on a bit, but at least didn't ruin the movie. I will say when bodies started falling from the sky, it did make for a cool visual. They did a good job visually at least, but could have been shorter.

WillBrink
12-23-21, 11:50

Agreed. It was trying too hard to tap into the zombie fixation people have these days. It also dragged on a bit, but at least didn't ruin the movie. I will say when bodies started falling from the sky, it did make for a cool visual. They did a good job visually at least, but could have been shorter.

TomMcC
12-23-21, 12:03
The whack job Lana Wachowski said that it and the previous Matrixs were "trans" movies. Did you guys get that from the movie? If not, I'll probably go see it.

KUSA
12-23-21, 12:40
The whack job Lana Wachowski said that it and the previous Matrixs were "trans" movies. Did you guys get that from the movie? If not, I'll probably go see it.

I didn’t get that out of it. You know, most people in Hollywood are whack jobs anyway so just go watch it.

WillBrink
12-23-21, 13:35

No idea what she's talking about, but per above " ...it gets close to getting into all inclusive wokeness, but it's not bad enough to ruin the experience and the past movies had some of that too."

georgeib
12-23-21, 19:55
Just finished it, on HBO. Gotta say that I was disappointed. It just didn't feel...inspired. It had some cool moments, but as a whole it was much weaker than the original trilogy. C-.

kirkland
12-23-21, 20:01
I heard it was a steaming pile. The only good Matrix movie is the first one in my opinion.

joedirt199
12-23-21, 20:16
Carrie Moss in latex will always be the one I remember.

Business_Casual
12-23-21, 21:06

There are a lot of layers to the first one, most notably the Gnostic view that we are in a prison (the Matrix) made by the Yaldaboath (the Abrahamic God) who is an evil creator god. The hero is the one who releases man from that prison, a Prometheus, a Lucifer, a light-bearer (the one, Neo). White and black, lightening bolts or thunder and other imagery is part and parcel Gnostic. Trinity, who plays many roles, is most closely aligned with Sophia (wisdom) and hence her “love” relationship with the One. Understanding the paradigm of the Gnosis affords one the “freedom” to do anything in the temporal life regardless of the moral or physical ramifications, because there is no good or evil in their world view, only what you want at the moment of desire. This explains the inexplicable ideas of biological males identifying as pregnant and the vast, myriad ways the abuse of children is overlooked, excused and covered up by the power elite who are all clearly Gnostic/Satanist/Luciferian practitioners of this left-hand path.

Sorry, not sorry.

TomMcC
12-23-21, 21:43
There are a lot of layers to the first one, most notably the Gnostic view that we are in a prison (the Matrix) made by the Yaldaboath (the Abrahamic God) who is an evil creator god. The hero is the one who releases man from that prison, a Prometheus, a Lucifer, a light-bearer (the one, Neo). White and black, lightening bolts or thunder and other imagery is part and parcel Gnostic. Trinity, who plays many roles, is most closely aligned with Sophia (wisdom) and hence her “love” relationship with the One. Understanding the paradigm of the Gnosis affords one the “freedom” to do anything in the temporal life regardless of the moral or physical ramifications, because there is no good or evil in their world view, only what you want at the moment of desire. This explains the inexplicable ideas of biological males identifying as pregnant and the vast, myriad ways the abuse of children is overlooked, excused and covered up by the power elite who are all clearly Gnostic/Satanist/Luciferian practitioners of this left-hand path.

Sorry, not sorry.

I guess there really ISN'T anything new under the sun. I really don't remember the first movie all that much, just bits and pieces, so...is that last sentence part of the first movie or is it your read on the present day reality consuming the real life Hollywood and/or the culture today?

KUSA
12-23-21, 22:39
I heard it was a steaming pile. The only good Matrix movie is the first one in my opinion.

Then you are a simple minded fellow. Nothing wrong with that, just saying.

kirkland
12-24-21, 05:58

How so?

Business_Casual
12-24-21, 06:30
I guess there really ISN'T anything new under the sun. I really don't remember the first movie all that much, just bits and pieces, so...is that last sentence part of the first movie or is it your read on the present day reality consuming the real life Hollywood and/or the culture today?

The latter. I’m ridiculed here for saying it, but what else explains the repeated scandals involving children from Corey Haim to the CNN producer? Whether they know they are acting as if “liberated” from right and wrong by Lucifer/Prometheus or not, they are doing these things. You can see these themes in almost any production these days.

aFella
12-24-21, 08:48

Is this a defense of 2 and 3 or suggesting the movie that just came out where the director literally tells the audience they don't want to be making the movie isn't a pile of trash?

WillBrink
12-24-21, 09:33

I don't agree with that assessment on any of it personally. I do think people need to see it in theaters or have a legit HT set up to really experience it proper.

KUSA
12-24-21, 09:56
How so?

First of all, I certainly didn’t mean to imply that you are stupid when I said simple minded. I reread what I wrote and see how it could be taken that way.

To your question. The entire Matrix trilogy is so layered and deep that it has to be watched many times. If you just look at it on the surface, it may look like some botched up action movie.

Some people want to watch a movie and walk away understanding everything about it. The Matrix trilogy is not one of them types of movies. It is very complex.

chamber143
12-24-21, 10:09

I too watched it on HBO and I thought it was borderline terrible. It took me about 5 hours to watch it because I kept getting so bored that I kept pausing it and walking off for a little and then I would remember I was watching it and would start it back. I also think the first one is the best and I have trouble with the other 2 before this one. Plus the wokeness at the end ***spoiler alert*** where trinity has to save Neo by flying him away from the agents because he no longer was able to fly. Plus the action a lot of the time seemed like old people trying to do martial arts. Hard to watch really. Writing this makes me realize how much I really hated it. I was really looking forward to it to

joedirt199
12-24-21, 18:45
Trying to watch it now and the standing out in the open with unaimed full auto handgun fire is getting a little old. Good guy hits bad guys, but bad guy hits walls at inside room distances. Writing is trying to be too deep. Stick with the original.

notorious_ar15
12-26-21, 23:51
I enjoyed Resurrections, although I saw right from the beginning that my expectations had to be set to the level of a Sci-Fi channel show. I didn't know anything about the woke-ness that was supposed to be in it, so that part didn't register with me. I also think that the original Matrix was the best (most visually stunning & ground breaking) of the series, but I still thought they did a good enough job with this newest one & at least payed homage to the feel of the original. Characters all did well in their respective roles.

pinzgauer
12-27-21, 08:51
Did not hate it, better than most TV, not as good as the original. But then again neither was the second or third one.

Thought the premise of neo's occupation was interesting. As much as I want to just like Neil Patrick Harris he continues to play interesting characters.

Perhaps I have low expectations lately.

One thing for sure, in the current environment it is unlikely that anything as creative as the original matrix will be made. Hollywood is focusing on "IP", intellectual property movies with known stories and characters.

It's a bit sad as some of the movies that are now NeverEnding reboots and extensions would never get made.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Whalstib
12-27-21, 09:34
Wachowski's says Matrix is a 'trans gender metaphor'.

Probably revisionist B***S*** by the "bros" concerning 1-3 but assume it's baked into 4......

donlapalma
12-27-21, 09:36
Watched about ten minutes and passed out. I might try again but my friends tell me to skip it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

WillBrink
12-27-21, 10:02
Wachowski's says Matrix is a 'trans gender metaphor'.

Probably revisionist B***S*** by the "bros" concerning 1-3 but assume it's baked into 4......

Who cares? If you don't see it, and I sure didn't, who cares what is supposedly "baked in" to the movie? Watch and enjoy for what it is, and move along. All manner of movies supposedly containing symbolism for this and that and if you look hard enough, you can find (invent...) something that supports a POV. All of the Matrix movies have contained some all inclusive wokeness stuff in them, but don't beat you over the head with it and ruin the movie, and this one was no different in that respect. Personally, I'm fine with all inclusiveness as long as it's not the central theme and shoved up my nose in every scene. Done right, it's background to the movie. Done wrong, it's many of the recent Super Hero movies...

kirkland
12-27-21, 13:02
Who cares? If you don't see it, and I sure didn't, who cares what is supposedly "baked in" to the movie? Watch and enjoy for what it is, and move along. All manner of movies supposedly containing symbolism for this and that and if you look hard enough, you can find (invent...) something that supports a POV. All of the Matrix movies have contained some all inclusive wokeness stuff in them, but don't beat you over the head with it and ruin the movie, and this one was no different in that respect. Personally, I'm fine with all inclusiveness as long as it's not the central theme and shoved up my nose in every scene. Done right, it's background to the movie. Done wrong, it's many of the recent Super Hero movies...

I agree with this. The first Matix movie was a great movie and holds up whether or not you're looking for a deeper hidden meaning. It stands on it's own even without the following sequels. Unfortunately far too many movies today shove the wokeness stuff in your face and are unwatchable. That's why I very rarely watch new movies these days.

bp7178
12-27-21, 19:27
The coolest moments are largely in the longer trailers. The gun play was super retarded. A group of guys with FA rifles firing at a stationary target from 10' and missing while a sideways tilted FA pistol from a good guy wipes them all out.

I don't remember the soldier/tactical being labeled in the previous movies. Now they are all SWAT or POLICE or FBI etc. Its like they are trying to force feed this counter culture vs the oppressive government/police thing.

SPOLIER: All of this is so they can bully doogie howser at the end of the movie, and it seems so contrived and lame. I liked it to the extent I'm glad I watched it becuse I did enjoy the first one so much, but they have been sliding down since. I think this was better than some of the lameness of the 2nd and 3rd, but meh. I watched it on HBO Max. The quality is amazing. I have a 75" TCL 6 series, and it looked REALLY good. Some motion blur but I think that has to do with their bit rate since Hulu kind of does the same but YouTube doesn't.

Ron3
12-27-21, 23:22
Buddy watched it.

Said it was "Pure garbage".

Since we concur thoughts on the other 3 I'll take his word for it and save my time.

WillBrink
12-28-21, 07:35
Great break down of Ending Explained + Easter Eggs and Full Breakdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNidbzzPVt8