PDA

View Full Version : RIP Richard Marcinko

Sam
12-26-21, 18:59
https://www.navytimes.com/breaking-news/2021/12/26/richard-marcinko-first-commanding-officer-of-seal-team-six-dies/

Had the honor of meeting him in the Blade show a few years ago. One of my heroes. Rest in peace Shark Man of the Delta.

He lived hard, trained hard, fought hard and drank hard.

Averageman
12-26-21, 19:04
That's sad to hear.
RIP

Honu
12-26-21, 19:06
wow memories for sure of my younger years !
RIP

BoringGuy45
12-26-21, 19:22
Onto Valhalla, Rogue Warrior!

Harpoon
12-26-21, 19:24
I read some of his books years ago. Fair winds and following seas Commander.
RIP

B Cart
12-26-21, 20:03
RIP to a legend. He definitely had a big impact on the special forces world

SteyrAUG
12-26-21, 21:29
So I remember hearing grumblings about him divulging "still secret" tactics, training methods and descriptions of gear etc. but doing some searching it seems that was mostly unfounded. And while I generally prefer my "silent professionals" to stay silent and professional, I think that is offset by the positive contributions his writings provided in terms of respect for the military, motivation for mindsets and bringing ideas to others in a way that really wasn't much different from Vickers or Lamb, Marchinko simply seems to have done it first.

I also had exactly no idea how far back he went and how influential he was in the evolution of Navy special warfare. I know they threw some fraud cases at him, but that really does sound like sour grapes legal warfare to me.

His internal security operations were also kind of jaw dropping considering what they were able to penetrate that was believed "secure."

So with all that in mind, fair weather and smooth sailing Commander.

NYH1
12-26-21, 22:06
Fair Winds and Following Seas Frogman!

NYH1.

HKGuns
12-26-21, 22:20
RIP you did a great service to your country.

Edm
12-26-21, 22:46
I met him at Carson in the late 90s. He was a really cool guy. We talked for a while in the PX during a book signing while there was no one else in line.

Diamondback
12-26-21, 23:13
Fair winds and following seas! Marcinko was something of a role model and inspiration in my high school years when I ran afoul of my own hellish bureaucracy...

Boy Scout
12-27-21, 00:18
A Bombay Sapphire martini toast tonight to one of the nation's best.

chuckman
12-27-21, 07:52
I met him in Lejeune years ago. Nice enough fella. Great warrior, definitely mythologized over the years.

LoboTBL
12-27-21, 08:31
RIP Commander

WillBrink
12-27-21, 08:53
So I remember hearing grumblings about him divulging "still secret" tactics, training methods and descriptions of gear etc. but doing some searching it seems that was mostly unfounded. And while I generally prefer my "silent professionals" to stay silent and professional, I think that is offset by the positive contributions his writings provided in terms of respect for the military, motivation for mindsets and bringing ideas to others in a way that really wasn't much different from Vickers or Lamb, Marchinko simply seems to have done it first.

I also had exactly no idea how far back he went and how influential he was in the evolution of Navy special warfare. I know they threw some fraud cases at him, but that really does sound like sour grapes legal warfare to me.

His internal security operations were also kind of jaw dropping considering what they were able to penetrate that was believed "secure."

So with all that in mind, fair weather and smooth sailing Commander.

Red Cell was a large part of what made him the powerful enemies and put a target on his head with the powers that be. He did a his job just a little too well...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cell

Disciple
12-27-21, 14:06
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cell

That summary makes The A-Team TV show seem a little less silly in its core premise: a small group of elite soldiers routinely foiling the vast resources of the regular military and laughing.

AKjeff
12-27-21, 15:13
I would highly recommend his book "Rogue Warrior" if anyone hasn't read it yet.
The activities of Red Cell are brought up in it, it's a bit eye opening.

RIP Commander Marcinko

WillBrink
12-27-21, 16:24
That summary makes The A-Team TV show seem a little less silly in its core premise: a small group of elite soldiers routinely foiling the vast resources of the regular military and laughing.

The machine does not like being embarrassed and instead of rewarding you for exposing the gaping security gaps they were tasked with doing, it ruined his career. Typical of Macrinco, he didn't do anything half ass, he didn't care what toes he stepped on or feelz that got hurt, he did what he was tasked to do. He may have gone a tad overboard there... They even got onto a nuclear sub at one point.

chuckman
12-27-21, 16:26
The machine does not like being embarrassed and instead of rewarding you for exposing the gaping security gaps they were tasked with doing, it ruined his career. Typical of Macrinco, he didn't do anything half ass, he didn't care what toes he stepped on or feelz that got hurt, he did what he was tasked to do. He may have gone a tad overboard there... They even got onto a nuclear sub at one point.

To be fair, he was pissing off people well before red cell, and he also broke a few laws here and there. Red cell was just the icing on the cake.

WillBrink
12-27-21, 16:43
To be fair, he was pissing off people well before red cell, and he also broke a few laws here and there. Red cell was just the icing on the cake.

Very much so, but it was Red Cell where they had the ammo to finally put a lid on him and make their case to ruin him. The entire development of S6 and how he went about it made all sorts of people mad. He was a rule breaker and his methods (apparently) effective for the goal he was tasked with, to develop one of the worlds top anti terrorist unit, not so good for career building and staying out of trouble, legal and otherwise.

Both in and out of the teams, a highly controversial guy. I tend to think you don't get an S6 or a Delta, etc, without a hard charger rule breaking type like Marcinko or Beckwith who does not care about anything but the job/missions tasked with and their men, and I wonder if it could even be accomplished in these modern times.

chuckman
12-27-21, 17:33
Very much so, but it was Red Cell where they had the ammo to finally put a lid on him and make their case to ruin him. The entire development of S6 and how he went about it made all sorts of people mad. He was a rule breaker and his methods (apparently) effective for the goal he was tasked with, to develop one of the worlds top anti terrorist unit, not so good for career building and staying out of trouble, legal and otherwise.

Both in and out of the teams, a highly controversial guy. I tend to think you don't get an S6 or a Delta, etc, without a hard charger rule breaking type like Marcinko or Beckwith who does not care about anything but the job/missions tasked with and their men, and I wonder if it could even be accomplished in these modern times.

He was polarizing for sure. A hell of a warrior and leader, loved his sailors, but some of his methods were, um, unconventional.

I met one of the plank owners, a tea-totaller. He said that Marcinko didn't like him because he didn't drink. That certainly wouldn't fly in today's Navy, that Tailhook-era, hard-drinking, party hard leadership.

I agree that some people are in the right place at the right time, Marcinko, Beckwith in that era.

WillBrink
12-27-21, 17:47
He was polarizing for sure. A hell of a warrior and leader, loved his sailors, but some of his methods were, um, unconventional.

I met one of the plank owners, a tea-totaller. He said that Marcinko didn't like him because he didn't drink. That certainly wouldn't fly in today's Navy, that Tailhook-era, hard-drinking, party hard leadership.

I agree that some people are in the right place at the right time, Marcinko, Beckwith in that era.

The "interview" supposedly often took place in his favorite dive bar, and he felt you learned a lot about a man when he drank, which is true. Unconventional again to be sure. I'd read those who didn't drink who refused to be "interviewed" in such a manner didn't get the invite vs he didn't like the man for not drinking per se, if that makes any sense. There was always a method to the madness, for better or worse, is my sense.

chuckman
12-27-21, 17:56
The "interview" supposedly often took place in his favorite dive bar, and he felt you learned a lot about a man when he drank, which is true. Unconventional again to be sure. I'd read those who didn't drink who refused to be "interviewed" in such a manner didn't get the invite vs he didn't like the man for not drinking per se, if that makes any sense. There was always a method to the madness, for better or worse, is my sense.

Yeah.... If someone told me I had to drink in order to get a job I'd tell him to go f*** himself. And I am not a tea-totaller. I'd read that, too, never sure how true it was/wasn't.

The guy I referenced did get the job and had great relationships with everyone else. Just not Marcinko.

Again, polarizing man. He did a lot of things well, for sure. No doubt a hell of a warrior and leader.

Averageman
12-27-21, 18:03
My Dad was of that generation and he told me "Never trust a Man who wont drink with you.".
I'm not sure what that was all about, I have several times not drank for as long as half a decade, it made school and military promotions much easier.
When DUI's in the military became a thing, they would actually put guy's out for drinking and driving, there was a steep and very costly learning curve on that one.

WillBrink
12-27-21, 18:21
Yeah.... If someone told me I had to drink in order to get a job I'd tell him to go f*** himself. And I am not a tea-totaller. I'd read that, too, never sure how true it was/wasn't.

The guy I referenced did get the job and had great relationships with everyone else. Just not Marcinko.

Again, polarizing man. He did a lot of things well, for sure. No doubt a hell of a warrior and leader.

I'd be like "I hope you're buying, cuz I can drink a lot!" and be GTG. Although not official, tested people and been tested that way in the day. At 50+, no, I'd have to pass.

My Dad was of that generation and he told me "Never trust a Man who wont drink with you.".
I'm not sure what that was all about, I have several times not drank for as long as half a decade, it made school and military promotions much easier.
When DUI's in the military became a thing, they would actually put guy's out for drinking and driving, there was a steep and very costly learning curve on that one.

Marcinko was 81, and while I don't condone that as a method of make or break job interviews, I do understand the POV. You really do learn a lot about a person when the drink.

SteyrAUG
12-27-21, 19:48

And honestly, good for him. The powers that be that can't accept some real time evaluation that is meant to ultimately benefit them and the nation...well F those guys. If it were me I'd be saying "damn those guys were good" and we need to tighten up a bit.

Those that can't understand that Red Cell ops were also a matter of sharpening the sword that will also be used against our enemies needed to just get over themselves and be grateful we are all on the same time. Nobody does shit like this on enemy soil without a lot of home field practice.

When guys are top of the class, you stop giving them detention and just let them work.

chuckman
12-27-21, 20:23
And honestly, good for him. The powers that be that can't accept some real time evaluation that is meant to ultimately benefit them and the nation...well F those guys. If it were me I'd be saying "damn those guys were good" and we need to tighten up a bit.

Those that can't understand that Red Cell ops were also a matter of sharpening the sword that will also be used against our enemies needed to just get over themselves and be grateful we are all on the same time. Nobody does shit like this on enemy soil without a lot of home field practice.

When guys are top of the class, you stop giving them detention and just let them work.

Red Cell was brilliantly conceived and executed. I hate that people put ego over outcomes, but politics be politics. Red Cell, the iteration that Delta and the other 'unit' did, they were much needed and those events/ops payed dividends.

Sam
12-29-21, 15:42

I pulled the book off the shelf and started re-reading it again.

On page 109, he discussed the drinking:

"Drinking was an important element of the fusion process. It was more than just aimless, macho-bullshit partying, or frat-house chuga-lugging. I've always been a believer in the phrase in vino veritas. Five or six hours of hard partyinng after a 12 hour day of rough training allowed me to see how my guys would act when they were wrecked, almost out of control ad weird - and how well they'd do the next morning, when they were nursing throbbing heads and bloodshot eyes - but still had to swim six or seven miles, run ten, or shoot to qualify. Fact is, you can tell a lot about a man by the way he handles his alcohol."

His words (or maybe his co-writer's John Weisman). I'm not defending or supporting or judging, just showing those who had not read the book or forgotten most of it as I have.

He did introduced me to the Benchmade knives. I wanted the Emerson CQC6 so bad when I read it in his books, but first I couldn't find one in the 90s and second, they were over $500 if you did accidentally stumble across one. I settled for the Benchmade CQC7.

SteyrAUG
12-29-21, 16:48
It's interesting the biases people bring to their professions.

You can probably tell as much about a person by the way he controls himself by not drinking, smoking or otherwise engaging in substances. But I've seen narcotics agents / officers who really believed you "have to do some of this stuff to understand it", but that was also back in the day a bit.