PDA

View Full Version : Don't Look Up (Review)

WillBrink
12-28-21, 08:48
A perfect movie for today perfectly made. It's modern satire at its best, almost a modern day Dr Strangelove meets Idiocracy. What would happen if a planet killing size asteroid was heading for earth in our modern culture run by complete morons? There's very obvious metaphors for what we have been dealing with the past few years (the meteor being covid) and it's very well written, acted, and directed. It has a huge cast who are all fabulous int this movie. While the political overtones are obvious, the movie does not beat you to death with it and leaves it to the viewer to decide where they fall on it.

Ariana Grande singing a song at an event (actually a pretty decent song too!) to make people aware the meteor is legit with the lyrics like "get your head out of your ass and listen to the qualified scientists, we really f%$ed it up this time" was classic stuff.

The movie is scary in the sense you can easily believe that's exactly how it might play out if a huge meteor was heading toward us with 100% certainty, but denial, greed, hubris, and plain old stupidity gets in the way. Grade A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbIxYm3mKzI

glocktogo
12-28-21, 09:37
Idiocracy you say?

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/36981070.jpg

chuckman
12-28-21, 11:15
I was wondering about this film. The first couple trailers I saw made it look like a regular ol' doom-and-gloom-and-of-earth disaster movie, but the oval office clips had me howling, funnier than hell. I will give it a go.

GTF425
12-28-21, 11:22
I was wondering about this film. The first couple trailers I saw made it look like a regular ol' doom-and-gloom-and-of-earth disaster movie, but the oval office clips had me howling, funnier than hell. I will give it a go.

I watched it on Christmas Eve and laughed my ass off. You'll enjoy it.

utahjeepr
12-28-21, 11:29
Looks interesting. Unfortunately I only do a DVD subscription. I'm kinda primitive I suppose but it's my only concession to not watching television.

S'OK though, I got my giant meteor Vax booster last week.

WillieThom
12-28-21, 14:25
Mark Rylance stole the show. One of the funniest performances I’ve seen in a long while.

AKFAN
12-28-21, 15:05
I watched half of the movie. The asteroid is actually a metaphor for global warming and not covid but the viewer can interpret it different ways.

Renegade
12-28-21, 15:10
I watched half of the movie. The asteroid is actually a metaphor for global warming and not covid but the viewer can interpret it different ways.

Yup, Lefty propaganda and insults packaged as lets go brandon. Guess who Streep/Hill are .....

WillBrink
12-28-21, 15:24
Mark Rylance stole the show. One of the funniest performances I’ve seen in a long while.

In a cast that solid, he still stood out.

I felt it was more a metaphor for covid, but the strength of that movie is they do an excellent job leaving it to the viewer to interpret as you say, and I'm fine with that.

AKFAN
12-28-21, 15:40
I felt it was more a metaphor for covid, but the strength of that movie is they do an excellent job leaving it to the viewer to interpret as you say, and I'm fine with that.
Absolutely agree and they did a great job portraying our modern society in terms of politics, big corporations, the media and pop-culture.

WillBrink
12-28-21, 15:47
Absolutely agree and they did a great job portraying our modern society in terms of politics, big corporations, the media and pop-culture.

And what a useless bunch of vapid blithering morons they are, and how that will be our ultimate demise.

Tanner
12-28-21, 20:08
And what a useless bunch of vapid blithering morons they are, and how that will be our ultimate demise.

Well, I was going to post a comment, but you sir, summed it up !

WillieThom
12-28-21, 20:29

That’s how I interpreted it. And DiCaprio is a huge proponent of global warming/climate change so it makes sense.

Yup, Lefty propaganda and insults packaged as lets go brandon. Guess who Streep/Hill are .....

Yeah. I spotted it right from the beginning. And I can get mad and get offended at it, but I figured I’d be better of just sitting back and watching it—and laughing the whole time—because no matter what kind of propaganda it is, it’s unfortunately not very far from the reality we live in.

That, and I’m to the point in my life that I think getting angry and virtue signaling (because we do it too) tends to just make a person miserable and doesn’t really solve much. It’s a rare thing to see arguing, debating, and trying to persuade folks on the left actually change minds. Living a good life, with morals and ethics, practicing what I preach as best I can, and trying to lead by example goes much further.

SteyrAUG
12-29-21, 04:07
So I liked it, was expecting some blatant "Day After Tomorrow" nonsense but it wasn't there really. Could have been a metaphor for this or that depending what you look hard for.

Like most I enjoyed that satire that might not be satire as much as we wish. Really showed all the human levels of reaction to something like this. Aside from the fact that we have nothing in the way of the "hail mary" technology shown in the film and the likelihood that civilization would quickly devolve long before the comet brought our end of days, we would still attempt to assert all our stupid ideology for as long as possible.

Decent humor which is actually a stretch for some involved. Absolutely love how they dropped the bomb live on national news and it failed to "trend", probably the most realistic part of the film. Not as goofy as Idiocracy but there were obvious similar elements. For some reason it reminded me of The Death of Stalin (which was a brilliant comedy) with some of the delivery and social commentary of the times.

WillBrink
12-29-21, 08:18
That’s how I interpreted it. And DiCaprio is a huge proponent of global warming/climate change so it makes sense.

Yeah. I spotted it right from the beginning. And I can get mad and get offended at it, but I figured I’d be better of just sitting back and watching it—and laughing the whole time—because no matter what kind of propaganda it is, it’s unfortunately not very far from the reality we live in.

That, and I’m to the point in my life that I think getting angry and virtue signaling (because we do it too) tends to just make a person miserable and doesn’t really solve much. It’s a rare thing to see arguing, debating, and trying to persuade folks on the left actually change minds. Living a good life, with morals and ethics, practicing what I preach as best I can, and trying to lead by example goes much further.

Exactly so. Dr Strangelove was a leftist anti war movie of the time. It was also brilliant and funny satire.

Harpoon
12-29-21, 09:20
So the moral of the story is...Greed destroyed mankind.

Gabriel556
12-29-21, 09:30
I watched it last night. Well, up to the last 30 minutes because I was tired. I’ll finish it tonight. First I’ll say I do not like Jennifer Lawrence so that was a strike for me. However it’s a movie, that’s her job, so be it. I immediately caught the SJW aspects of the celebrity female president and offspring chief of staff, the politically incorrect “savior” in the shuttle, and the nude photos reference. I also thought it was pretty funny, though it was sooo silly it was almost eye rolling at times (but I never really got into Dr Strangelove or other movies of the like). I initially caught hints of COVID in the comet, and the “Dont Look Up” political phrase but I could also see it being global warming. I’ll bet it damn near killed DiCaprio to drive a clunker fossil fueled car in the middle of the movie, he likes his Prius (is it Priui in plural?).

Bottom line, I will definitely finish the movie but at this point, I don’t know if I will recommend it to people (my coworkers and I usually discuss movies we have watched), then again, the last one I really recommended was “13 Hours” so it’s been a while for me.

hotbiggun42
01-05-22, 23:48
I enjoyed it, good comedy and it could be interpreted as taking a shot at the left or right depending on your political slant. The clip after the credits was hilarious.

Det-Sog
01-06-22, 10:31
The clip after the credits was hilarious.

For God sakes, the credits were the BEST part of the movie. If you did not watch the first five minutes of the credits, go do it now.