PDA

View Full Version : Any of you own an air fryer?

ABNAK
12-28-21, 16:08
Wife got me one for Christmas. Haven't used it before so I have a question or two:

I want to fry some Haddock tomorrow night. Thaw first?

I have a beer batter mix I want to use. I understand that "some" oil is needed, but where do you put it? Rub it on the fish underneath the breading or kind of baste it on top?

223to45
12-28-21, 16:37
Just got one for Christmas. Fries, nuggets and Meatloaf are the only things I cooked so far.

I like it so far.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

223to45
12-28-21, 16:38
Not sure on your question, haven't got that far yet.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-28-21, 16:46
My daughter made fun of me at thanksgiving because she said I sounded like an Air--fryer salesperson.

I don't 'cook' with it much. I re-heat leftovers - PIZZA BROUGHT BACK TO LIFE!!!- and frozen foods. Does a credible job on frozen STL T-RAVs.

Fish is interesting, not sure on the breading.

ABNAK
12-28-21, 16:46
Not sure on your question, haven't fat. It that far.

Maybe you had a typo on Tapatalk? LOL

Should I thaw the fish or do it from frozen? Air fryers (so I've been told and read) do require a little oil, but not nearly as much as a conventional fryer. So considering I want to use a beer batter on the fish, would I rub oil on the bare fish and then bread it, or brush some on the outside of the fish once I have it breaded? Or maybe no oil at all?

Hadoken
12-28-21, 16:50
Maybe you had a typo on Tapatalk? LOL

Should I thaw the fish or do it from frozen? Air fryers (so I've been told and read) do require a little oil, but not nearly as much as a conventional fryer. So considering I want to use a beer batter on the fish, would I rub oil on the bare fish and then bread it, or brush some on the outside of the fish once I have it breaded? Or maybe no oil at all?
I definitely would think you would want it thawed first to keep the breading from burning, but I’ll admit most of mine have been a breadcrumb type coating not a batter.

I haven’t done fish, but the only oil that is “required” is a coating on the basket to make sure your fish or breading doesn’t stick to the basket. A little oil sprayed onto the breading as it browns will greatly increase flavor and help crisp up the breading, but it isn’t required per se. I would probably cook the battered fish until it starts to brown and then spray it with some canola oil spray or similar half way through.

ABNAK
12-28-21, 16:55
I definitely would think you would want it thawed first to keep the breading from burning, but I’ll admit most of mine have been a breadcrumb type coating not a batter.

I haven’t done fish, but the only oil that is “required” is a coating on the basket to make sure your fish or breading doesn’t stick to the basket. A little oil sprayed onto the breading as it browns will greatly increase flavor and help crisp up the breading, but it isn’t required per se. I would probably cook the battered fish until it starts to brown and then spray it with some canola oil spray or similar half way through.

Ahh, that makes sense! I bought some good olive oil just for this occasion; maybe I'll "baste" the basket and perhaps a spray on each side when I flip the pieces halfway through.

C-grunt
12-28-21, 17:17
We've had one for a while now. Great cooking option. Makes your frozen foods (bags of fries, etc..) better than an oven.

I don't eat fish so i can't help you there. But we did fried chicken a couple times and it worked great. Only oil needed was to coat the basket and whatever is used in the batter.

omegajb
12-28-21, 17:26
Olive oil might be a bit strong for beer batter fish.
I use a spray bottle with vegetable oil to mist the food if needed. You might want to test a small piece first to make sure the temperature doesn't overcook the batter and not cook the fish thoroughly.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
12-28-21, 18:29
I have one. It has a few limitations and won't do battered items as well as a frying pan, but things like frozen fries and such come out better than you've ever had.

It is also possible to do steaks when winter temps make standing in front of the outdoor grill not fun. You can actually do almost perfect 8 oz steaks. Just be careful, going from medium rare to well done happens in 30 seconds.

gunnerblue
12-28-21, 19:58
My wife bought one recently. We use it mostly for French fries for the kids and fried veggies in a little oil for us. It's great for smaller quick items like those- haven't tried anything like an entrée.

czgunner
12-28-21, 20:38
Got one for wife for xmas. Makes things pretty tasty. I would recommend lightly oiling before cooking. It seems you don't want a lot of surplus oil in the bottom of the machine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Sikiguya
12-28-21, 21:15
I don’t recommend the air fryer for pizza. It is Breyer than the nuker or the oven.

My best process to Heat up pizza is 1 minute in the nuker. Than throw in a skillet with some Pam spray. Almost as good as fresh from pizzeria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donlapalma
12-28-21, 21:18
I have one. Like it but wish we had a bigger one.

I would recommend defrosting first.

Batter - not sure if this will work well as I'm guessing it won't stay adhered long enough during the cook process. Note that you want to avoid spices or anything in the basket that will take flight during cooking. Make sure whatever you have on your food is well adhered.

Oil - just light oiling of the cooking basket will suffice.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

utahjeepr
12-28-21, 21:31
Thaw first. Don't bread it. Just light oil and add spices. The air fryer will crisp it up nice.

No pizza? WTF? Air fryer crisps the crust back up after a night in the fridge. Mongo like.

Hush
12-30-21, 12:05
I was initially skeptical and thought these were a gimmick....until I tried it. It is quick and easy with great results. That said, its a convection oven NOT a "fryer". Not all fried foods translate....I don't think beer battered fish would work at all. It shines for previously fried items like frozen fried foods and things like gordons frozen fish fillets. Chicken (breast/thigh/wing..even a whole chicken) pork chops, steaks all come out great. I've made the best, crispiest brussell sprouts I've ever had in the air fryer. Some items need a little misting of oil, aerosol or pump spray work best. Meat with skin or fat works. Breaded items can be hit or miss.

I would say battered fish would be a definite no-go...but hey, give it a shot and let us know.

markm
12-30-21, 12:56
Can you anneal brass with it? :dance3:

utahjeepr
12-30-21, 13:11
Air fryer is absolutely great for cooking diced pork belly.

Like fall on floor foodgasm good.

ABNAK
12-30-21, 16:26
Between reading a few responses here and a little Googling I decided to play it safe and use the traditional deep fryer for the fish. Those Haddock bellies weren't cheap and I didn't want to ruin them. That said, I will be using the air fryer soon for other things that don't involve a "wet" batter.

SteyrAUG
12-30-21, 17:16
Between reading a few responses here and a little Googling I decided to play it safe and use the traditional deep fryer for the fish. Those Haddock bellies weren't cheap and I didn't want to ruin them. That said, I will be using the air fryer soon for other things that don't involve a "wet" batter.

Probably wise. Experiment with some more affordable fish filets and you will discover they come out nice and crispy. I've done some chicken breasts that taste damn near like fried chicken even though no batter was involved. You just have to get them thin enough they are actually cooked in the center.

Clean up is actually so much nicer than fry daddies or a skillet full of oil. I grabbed a ninja grill and all those parts go right in the dishwasher and there is a lot less runoff in the air fryer.

Business_Casual
12-30-21, 17:32
Ours goes on vacation with us if we drive. Makes quick work of all kinds of food.

ABNAK
12-30-21, 17:42
Probably wise. Experiment with some more affordable fish filets and you will discover they come out nice and crispy. I've done some chicken breasts that taste damn near like fried chicken even though no batter was involved. You just have to get them thin enough they are actually cooked in the center.

Clean up is actually so much nicer than fry daddies or a skillet full of oil. I grabbed a ninja grill and all those parts go right in the dishwasher and there is a lot less runoff in the air fryer.

I assume you gave them a light pray with oil and maybe some seasoning too? Or were they just unaltered chicken breasts?

SteyrAUG
12-30-21, 20:04
I assume you gave them a light pray with oil and maybe some seasoning too? Or were they just unaltered chicken breasts?

Nope, just right on the grill. Chicken is pretty greasy stuff.

Edm
12-30-21, 22:01
We love it. We have done beer battered fish from a pack and they are fantastic. Tonight did burgers. Makes old pizza better than when you got it. Fries are great too. And chicken strips, nuggets. It is a gift from God..

utahjeepr
12-31-21, 12:58
Nope, just right on the grill. Chicken is pretty greasy stuff.

Breasts or thighs, with salt/pepper/garlic is a quick and easy staple in the air fryer in our house.

ABNAK
12-31-21, 14:52
Breasts or thighs, with salt/pepper/garlic is a quick and easy staple in the air fryer in our house.

Personally, to me anyway, thighs have more flavor than breasts (no sexual inuendo intended!). I'd imagine boneless/skinless thighs would cook up pretty damn good with a little seasoning like you mention.

SteyrAUG
12-31-21, 18:26
Personally, to me anyway, thighs have more flavor than breasts (no sexual inuendo intended!). I'd imagine boneless/skinless thighs would cook up pretty damn good with a little seasoning like you mention.

It does, but I prefer to use skinned chicken because it almost comes out like fried chicken. The important thing is getting pieces that aren't too thick (nothing more than 2") otherwise the outside is overcooked and raw in the middle. But doing some boneless / skinless pieces in batches mean you have chicken sandwiches all week long.