PDA

View Full Version : Vacation ideas for 2022?

TacticalSpeed
12-29-21, 18:56
Other half and I are trying ro decide where to go next summer for vacation. Too many places & not enough money or time. 🤣

Somewhere warm is a must. Somewhere we don't need a passport to go.
Maybe national parks.
Maybe Nashville.
Maybe NOLA.
Maybe Key West.

​​​​​​​Ideas?

utahjeepr
12-29-21, 19:00
Southwestern national parks/grand canyon are always winners for my relatives from the midwest and east.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-29-21, 19:20
Wife wants to do Continental EU this summer. I gave her the wave-off. Too much of a crap-shoot. The problem is that when it does open, the pent-up demand will be crushing. National Parks are going to be MOBBED this summer. I think people will be beyond caring about COVID, but there will be a lot of restrictions. The problem is that the states most likely to be good destinations are the ones that you really don't want to visit in the summer... And almost all cities have Dumbucrat mayors that will screw stuff up.

No real explanation needed to see why vacation homes in Colorado are crazy prices- even above the overall market. Want something on the water, you know the cabin on the lake with a dock? Bring a bag with a couple million dollars in it- and beg.

Nashville?
Minnesota?

Sam
12-29-21, 19:42
Other half and I are trying ro decide where to go next summer for vacation. Too many places & not enough money or time. ��

Maybe national parks.
Maybe Nashville.
Maybe NOLA.
Maybe Key West.

​​​​​​​Ideas?

I wouldn't do NOLA. Smelly, dirty, crimey. The others you listed look good.

If there are no kids, maybe Vegas, just don't go in the summer or early fall, it's scorching hot.

Any beaches along the gulf would be good.

Hank6046
12-29-21, 20:04
Maybe Key West.

Went to Key West last summer, June time-frame. It was good, but not great for me. It was just me and my wife and it wasn't super relaxing, too much party, to little Island community, there is very little beach there if that's what you're looking for, but if you want bars and night life this has it. Seafood is suburb, and the small restaurants are great, plenty of booze and drinks for anyone. We'll probably go back with friends but just not as relaxing as we were looking for.

SteyrAUG
12-29-21, 20:13
Went to Key West last summer, June time-frame. It was good, but not great for me. It was just me and my wife and it wasn't super relaxing, too much party, to little Island community, there is very little beach there if that's what you're looking for, but if you want bars and night life this has it. Seafood is suburb, and the small restaurants are great, plenty of booze and drinks for anyone. We'll probably go back with friends but just not as relaxing as we were looking for.

Look at other islands in the keys like Marathon. Sometimes the diving / beaches are actually better.

Hank6046
12-29-21, 20:18
Look at other islands in the keys like Marathon. Sometimes the diving / beaches are actually better.

Yeah, my father in law went to Islamorada fishing and did a VBRO, he said it was awesome

utahjeepr
12-29-21, 20:37
Want something on the water, you know the cabin on the lake with a dock? Bring a bag with a couple million dollars in it- and beg.

I live on a lake. Got no end of real estate "experts" offering to take this "poor investment" off my hands. ;)

RUTGERS95
12-29-21, 23:29
Other half and I are trying ro decide where to go next summer for vacation. Too many places & not enough money or time. ��

Maybe national parks.
Maybe Nashville.
Maybe NOLA.
Maybe Key West.

​​​​​​​Ideas?

we are heading to Greece and Crete later this year and are looking at Iceland in March for a quick trip. Just pic a place and go, don't over think it. part of the fun is flipping the coin and saying 'there'!

utahjeepr
12-29-21, 23:45
we are heading to Greece and Crete later this year and are looking at Iceland in March for a quick trip. Just pic a place and go, don't over think it. part of the fun is flipping the coin and saying 'there'!

Iceland is on my list. There is a dive site there where you can put one hand on the north american tectonic plate and one on europe's. Too damn cool not to do it.

I suppose if anyone wants to boondock next to a lake in UT PM me. Could be we could work it out. No money or nothing, I'm just kinda particular. And you gotta be ok with cows :)

Straight Shooter
12-30-21, 03:42

Maybe national parks.
Maybe Nashville.
Maybe NOLA.
Maybe Key West.

​​​​​​​Ideas?

Youre gonna be disappointed in Nashville..BIG TIME. Thirty minutes of walking around and youve seen all there is more or less. NOT "country" anymore and hasnt been in 30 years or more.
NOLA is a chamber pot.
I dont really know where to go..just where NOT to go. Nashville & NOLA are def out. For me personally..ALL major cities are out.

Averageman
12-30-21, 06:02
Texas Gulf Coast and some road trips.
We did this, then headed West just cruising small roads along the border until we made Arizona.
Best sex I ever had, in a tiny twin bed in a Mom and Pop, small 40's era hotel along Sonora border. You know in a Twin bed, no matter how the two of you wake up, your in the "Fun Zone".

Krazykarl
12-30-21, 07:42
I would gladly go back to Bryce canyon. Zion is dissapointing:
1. Too many people (proximity to CA).
2. Too many closed trails
3. Too close to Vegas.

Bryce was wonderful! Truly felt like an eden in the desert. I would fly into salt lake city.

Travelingchild
12-30-21, 07:52
...National Parks are going to be MOBBED this summer...

This, But We had record number of visitors last year, so about a year late on that comment.

As far as property Dream on. Currently working on two projects 1st was a flood restoration estimated at $400k to restore it. Owner has spent over $800 thousand to remodel, that's on a 2.5 million home.
2nd is a 3 million property I'm gutting it. Probably $700 a square foot when I'm done.

Sorry for the Thread drift, I'm in Jackson Wy. Gate way to Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone. The amount of Traffic coming up from Salt Lake City (closest large airport) is nuts.
We don't even have a off season anymore. Spring and Fall are still busy. Hotels and Camp grounds fill up fast, The closer ones to town are full of season workers.

That being said, Can't think of anywhere else in The Country I'd want to live

Krazykarl
12-30-21, 08:00
I agree, the national parks are swamped with people. I was also going to recommend the smokey mountains. But, Gatlinburg is such a disaster and the ticks for the last 2 seasons have been intimidating. If I could air drop my family any where in a wilderness setting to avoid people I would. As the children have gotten bigger, we can usually out hike the girth of the masses for less populated and rewarding experiences.

This year we are considering a stay-cation and heading for the UP or lake superior. Cold water and mosquitoes...

TacticalSpeed
12-30-21, 08:20
I wouldn't do NOLA. Smelly, dirty, crimey. The others you listed look good.

If there are no kids, maybe Vegas, just don't go in the summer or early fall, it's scorching hot.

Any beaches along the gulf would be good.

Vegas is not a week long place for us.

I have been to NOLA & loved it. She has not been.

TacticalSpeed
12-30-21, 08:22
Youre gonna be disappointed in Nashville..BIG TIME. Thirty minutes of walking around and youve seen all there is more or less. NOT "country" anymore and hasnt been in 30 years or more.
NOLA is a chamber pot.
I dont really know where to go..just where NOT to go. Nashville & NOLA are def out. For me personally..ALL major cities are out.

I've been to Nashville already & loved it. She has not yet been

Sam
12-30-21, 09:47
Vegas is not a week long place for us.

I have been to NOLA & loved it. She has not been.

Al right, al right, al right (in my Matthew McConnaughey's immitation) ... so LV is out. Sounds like you want to introduce the lady to NOLA and Nashville. Sounds like a road trip from PA down south through both cities. Although the round trip drive would take up half of your week. Maybe rent a car and drive down, once you're done at NOLA, fly home.

utahjeepr
12-30-21, 10:11
I would put Nashville, NOLA, and Vegas in the long weekend catagory unless you have a very particular interest in them.

I took a handicapped relative to Grand Canyon last year. If you qualify, they give you a pass to drive the "bus only" routes. Really opens up the viewing abilities for the less mobile.

Bryce, Arches/Canyonlands, Monument Valley, Meteor Crater, and Grand Canyon is a nice little circuit.

WillBrink
12-30-21, 10:12
Other half and I are trying ro decide where to go next summer for vacation. Too many places & not enough money or time. 🤣

Maybe national parks.
Maybe Nashville.
Maybe NOLA.
Maybe Key West.

​​​​​​​Ideas?

Those are all very different places, so depends on what you want/life from a vacation. National parks appeal to me for nature, getting away from humans (if you're willing to hike far enough), Nashville and NOLA offer zero interest to me, and Key West is OK, but bit overrated in my experience.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-31-21, 01:16
This, But We had record number of visitors last year, so about a year late on that comment.

As far as property Dream on. Currently working on two projects 1st was a flood restoration estimated at $400k to restore it. Owner has spent over $800 thousand to remodel, that's on a 2.5 million home.
2nd is a 3 million property I'm gutting it. Probably $700 a square foot when I'm done.

Sorry for the Thread drift, I'm in Jackson Wy. Gate way to Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone. The amount of Traffic coming up from Salt Lake City (closest large airport) is nuts.
We don't even have a off season anymore. Spring and Fall are still busy. Hotels and Camp grounds fill up fast, The closer ones to town are full of season workers.

That being said, Can't think of anywhere else in The Country I'd want to live

Yes, I should have said ‘again’.

You live in the place that I love the best. Truly stunning area. Love Lake Jackson and the Tetons, I think its better than Yellowstone. Stayed at the Wort Inn (?) with all the dollar coins in the bar. Haven’t been back in about 4 years. Nothing like getting up a 4am to get shots of the mountains and wildlife.

Dennis
12-31-21, 03:16
If you liked Nashville and NOLA then Key West could be considered a bit of both with some National Park thrown in. Music, drinks, lots of food and Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas is very cool (take a seaplane.)
Take a boat dive/snorkel trip and see lots of great shallow reefs. Last time we rented a house away from the fray with a pool and that was perfect, but a nice seaside hotel like Pier House will cover any resort needs the wife might have. Fun touristy stuff like Hemingway's Home, pirate treasure museum, Butterfly conservatory, and more can fill the rest of your non drinking/eating/pool/boating time.
Definitely drive down from Miami and experience the long bridges and great views. Watch True Lies first!

That said, there is also a lot more to NOLA than just Bourbon street and incredible food. The National WWII museum is the most immersive war or really any museum I have been too across the US, EU, and Asia. There is a great working museum for Mardi Gras floats. And lots of history to see everywhere.

No matter where you end up, with a little research and a good attitude you will have a great trip!

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

TacticalSpeed
12-31-21, 10:37
Those are all very different places, so depends on what you want/life from a vacation. National parks appeal to me for nature, getting away from humans (if you're willing to hike far enough), Nashville and NOLA offer zero interest to me, and Key West is OK, but bit overrated in my experience.

Why overrated?

WillBrink
12-31-21, 10:49
Why overrated?

There's no real beach, and other than eating and drinking, not all that much to do. It's a nice place for a long weekend for sure. Past that, I'd be bored personally.

TacticalSpeed
12-31-21, 10:57
There's no real beach, and other than eating and drinking, not all that much to do. It's a nice place for a long weekend for sure. Past that, I'd be bored personally.

No actual beach to be on? Wowzas

Sam
12-31-21, 11:54
No actual beach to be on? Wowzas

People have different definitions and requirements for beaches. My relatives in the northeast and Canada think that their ideal beaches are like Atlantic City or Virginia beaches.

I think of beaches, and my ideal beaches, as the gulf (FL) coast in October. Not too hot outside the water, you can still sit and soak the sun. The water is still warm to get in. The sand is powdery white, there are few people, you're not dodging people and kids. Restaurants wait time is shorter than summer time. Although the last two years, with covid, there are more people than usual.

Grand58742
12-31-21, 12:14
Just got back from a mini-vacay with the girlfriend to Broken Bow/Hochatown/Beavers Bend area of Oklahoma. There's something to do for all age ranges and "cabin" (I use that word loosely) sizes for all groups. I'd highly suggest the cabin rentals even if it's a tad expensive.

The only negative thing I have to say about the area is the traffic. It's all two lane roads since the area really got going about 5-10 years ago and the infrastructure hasn't met the level of visitors yet. Getting from Point A to B can be a frustrating stop and go nightmare during the day. Otherwise, it's a great trip and we're looking at going back ourselves maybe in the summer.

If you're looking at the outdoorsy kind of thing, but also having a bunch of different things to do, that area might be good to check out.

TacticalSpeed
01-02-22, 15:04
St Thomas anyone?

utahjeepr
01-02-22, 17:51
St Thomas anyone?

Depends, hows the diving? ;) Typical Caribbean I'm sure. Anything of particular interest?

Alex V
01-02-22, 17:56

My parents just went to Greece in September. They loved it, hope you do too.

They are doing a good bit of travel as they get close to retirement. When they were in Greece they saw an advertisement for the World’s Fair in Dubai. That was their coin flip. It’s going to be their second trip to Dubai.

TacticalSpeed
01-07-22, 09:17
Again, location without a passport needed...

She is leaning toward something like Key West or US Virgin Islands

Hank6046
01-07-22, 10:54
Again, location without a passport needed...

She is leaning toward something like Key West or US Virgin Islands

When are you planning on going?

TacticalSpeed
01-07-22, 11:00
When are you planning on going?

Late June or sometime in July.

Hank6046
01-07-22, 11:13
Late June or sometime in July.

Thanks, the issue my wife and I had with Key West last year same timeframe, was that on the eastern side of the island all the seaweed stank so much we really couldn't enjoy ourselves, we stayed below which was awesome except for the smell, which I cannot understate how bad it smelled.

https://www.southernmostbeachresort.com/

I've heard great things about the Opel Key West and Ocean Key West, which are on the other side of the island, but more expensive and less lowkey (closer to Club style bars).

I would just mention to try and eat off of Duval street, or at least not recommended by Trip Advisor as a few were horrible and it is clear that they paid for good reviews. Blue Haven and Moon Dog cafe were among my favorites

TacticalSpeed
01-07-22, 11:17
Thanks, the issue my wife and I had with Key West last year same timeframe, was that on the eastern side of the island all the seaweed stank so much we really couldn't enjoy ourselves, we stayed below which was awesome except for the smell, which I cannot understate how bad it smelled.

https://www.southernmostbeachresort.com/

I've heard great things about the Opel Key West and Ocean Key West, which are on the other side of the island, but more expensive and less lowkey (closer to Club style bars).

I would just mention to try and eat off of Duval street, or at least not recommended by Trip Advisor as a few were horrible and it is clear that they paid for good reviews. Blue Haven and Moon Dog cafe were among my favorites

That's definitely something that would put a damper on a vacation

SFree
01-08-22, 13:14
Smokey Mountains, late October, early November in Gatlinburg, TN. Colors exploded, elk were active and weather was perfect. A little rain, but wife and I did about 30 miles of trails in 4 days. Oh, and I fell in love again…. All this for my 60th birthday 🥳