PDA

View Full Version : How Many Times When Watching A DVD Do You Go Back To ID A Firearm Or Gear...?

SteyrAUG
12-29-21, 19:59
Watching "Spies Like Us" and I swear I've backed it up and freeze framed at least a dozen times to determine if XM-177s are real or Hollywood mockups (and the actors, actually directors, holding them display some impressive trigger discipline) and to check out the array of weapons used by the Afghan fighters which include a Sudanese AR-10, Sterling SMGs and M1 carbines.

Some Enfield rifles (which I haven't yet ID'd by model) and even some Tokarevs (which would have been hard to come by in 1985) are also seen as well as the expected AK-47s, which were genuine Type 3s rather than the usually encountered Valmet "stand ins." Of course not a single AK-74 in the film, which I guess is to be expected as few people would have even known what they were. I don't think Soldier of Fortune obtained an example until 1983.

utahjeepr
12-29-21, 20:20
With some exceptions I have found that I just have to let the weapon nonsense in films go. Otherwise it just runs it for me. "Wow, look at that 870 firing like a semi-auto!" "That RPG took out a building. Lots of smoke but the rocket didn't leave the launcher?" Etc.

Period and theatre correct? Don't get me started.

SteyrAUG
12-29-21, 20:49
With some exceptions I have found that I just have to let the weapon nonsense in films go. Otherwise it just runs it for me. "Wow, look at that 870 firing like a semi-auto!" "That RPG took out a building. Lots of smoke but the rocket didn't leave the launcher?" Etc.

Period and theatre correct? Don't get me started.

Oh trust me, I have to let a LOT of that go. Even in films like Heat they have 5.56 rounds leaving .50 cal holes in police cars simply because they show up better.

Older films I actually enjoy some of the errors, such as the "MacUzis" (M10s with Uzi forends and stocks) in films like "Dogs of War" and "Stripes" and the Hollywood MP5s (chopped 94 barrel, no 3 lug and no paddle mag release) in films like "Die Hard" and "They Live." I nerd films and guns pretty hard so if you combine the two it's all over for me. I also enjoy the "rares" such as FN FALs in films from the 70s and 80s when they were very uncommon.

Used to be I rewound the Phoebe Cates scene in "Fast Times", now I'm looking to see if it's a real XM177E with a forward assist or an SP1 mockup.

kirkland
12-29-21, 20:58
Suspension of disbelief. It's required to enjoy a lot of films especially older action films from the 80's. My favorite is when they shoot more than 6 shots out of a 6 shot revolver. That happened in 48 hours.

kirkland
12-29-21, 21:02
Oh trust me, I have to let a LOT of that go. Even in films like Heat they have 5.56 rounds leaving .50 cal holes in police cars simply because they show up better.

Older films I actually enjoy some of the errors, such as the "MacUzis" (M10s with Uzi forends and stocks) in films like "Dogs of War" and "Stripes" and the Hollywood MP5s (chopped 94 barrel, no 3 lug and no paddle mag release) in films like "Die Hard" and "They Live." I nerd films and guns pretty hard so if you combine the two it's all over for me. I also enjoy the "rares" such as FN FALs in films from the 70s and 80s when they were very uncommon.

Used to be I rewound the Phoebe Cates scene in "Fast Times", now I'm looking to see if it's a real XM177E with a forward assist or an SP1 mockup.

Don't forget about the "Glock 7" from Die Hard 2. A porcelain gun made in Germany, it doesn't show up on the airport x-ray machines and costs more than you make in a month.

jsbhike
12-29-21, 21:24
All the stuff in the original Star Wars is interesting. Think the newest model was the Sterlings the stormtroopers were packing around.

Of course I guess a lot of that stuff had only been out 20 to 30 years at the time.

vandal5
12-29-21, 21:27
More so if I own and am watching for the 5th to 10th time...
If I'm watching for the first time I just try to stay in the moment unless it's something completely ridiculous like an machine gun that continues to click a bunch of times when it's empty or slides not locking back...

Say like the Matrix that I've seen 30+ times I'm more apt to notice the mix up with Trinity diving through the window than an incorrect gun build.

SteyrAUG
12-29-21, 21:39
Don't forget about the "Glock 7" from Die Hard 2. A porcelain gun made in Germany, it doesn't show up on the airport x-ray machines and costs more than you make in a month.

Honestly, as painfully erroneous as that is, it has become firearm LORE and did more to drive Glock sales than anything in the history of Glock. Nobody really cared or noticed the "plastic fantastic" until that film and then with price expectations of nearly $1000 when people saw them for $450 they imagined it must be the "deal of the century."

Die Hard did exactly the same thing (but without the error filled hyperbole) for the Steyr AUG, prior to that film it was the gun in Remo Williams that had a design defect that made it blow up in the face of soldiers.

SteyrAUG
12-29-21, 21:44
All the stuff in the original Star Wars is interesting. Think the newest model was the Sterlings the stormtroopers were packing around.

Of course I guess a lot of that stuff had only been out 20 to 30 years at the time.

The heavy weapons were MG34s and Lewis Guns, did something similar in Aliens with MG42s. And of course Han Solo's broom handle "blaster."

utahjeepr
12-29-21, 21:45
I ain't half as knowledgeable as some of y'all. I'm just an old jarhead end user. If it makes me cringe it's gotta drive you nuts.

SteyrAUG
12-29-21, 21:51
I ain't half as knowledgeable as some of y'all. I'm just an old jarhead end user. If it makes me cringe it's gotta drive you nuts.

Really doesn't have to be an error, just always interested in what is put in films, especially if they just show it for a second or two. In films like "The Deer Hunter" they actually had legit Type 56 and Type 3 AKs due to filming locations that made access to such weapons possible. in 1978 I don't think Steyr Arms had imported the first Maadi rifles yet so US films usually showed Valmets.

vandal5
12-29-21, 21:53
Die Hard did exactly the same thing (but without the error filled hyperbole) for the Steyr AUG, prior to that film it was the gun in Remo Williams that had a design defect that made it blow up in the face of soldiers.

Remo Williams was great! Thought it was so cool during his training diving into the sand piles... and jumping from platform to platform only to have to do it again backwards lol.

Will have to watch that one again.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

RUTGERS95
12-29-21, 23:30
Watching "Spies Like Us" and I swear I've backed it up and freeze framed at least a dozen times to determine if XM-177s are real or Hollywood mockups (and the actors, actually directors, holding them display some impressive trigger discipline) and to check out the array of weapons used by the Afghan fighters which include a Sudanese AR-10, Sterling SMGs and M1 carbines.

Some Enfield rifles (which I haven't yet ID'd by model) and even some Tokarevs (which would have been hard to come by in 1985) are also seen as well as the expected AK-47s, which were genuine Type 3s rather than the usually encountered Valmet "stand ins." Of course not a single AK-74 in the film, which I guess is to be expected as few people would have even known what they were. I don't think Soldier of Fortune obtained an example until 1983.

all the fking time! lol

SteyrAUG
12-30-21, 00:20
Btw, for those who suffer from excessive firearms in film trivia, here is an excellent rabbit hole.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Main_Page

Type in any firearm and find nearly every film and tv show to ever feature that firearm, type in any film or tv show and get a rather comprehensive breakdown of the firearms used in that film or show.

Here is the "Heat" page for example since that got a lot of us hooked.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Heat

Here is the famous "MAC Uzi"

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Stripes#Fake_Uzi_Submachine_gun_aka_.22The_MAC-Uzi.22_.28modified_MAC-10.29

Good luck getting anything done for awhile.

Pappabear
12-30-21, 01:36

Guilty as charged. I’ve backed up my fair share to ponder.

PB

donlapalma
12-30-21, 01:54
Btw, for those who suffer from excessive firearms in film trivia, here is an excellent rabbit hole.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Main_Page

Type in any firearm and find nearly every film and tv show to ever feature that firearm, type in any film or tv show and get a rather comprehensive breakdown of the firearms used in that film or show.

Here is the "Heat" page for example since that got a lot of us hooked.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Heat

Here is the famous "MAC Uzi"

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Stripes#Fake_Uzi_Submachine_gun_aka_.22The_MAC-Uzi.22_.28modified_MAC-10.29

Good luck getting anything done for awhile.I was just going to post this link. Ya, spent tons of time on there. Good stuff!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Straight Shooter
12-30-21, 01:54
A couple days ago watched Charlton Heston in Omega Man for the first time in a long,long time. I did freeze frame a few times to see what all he had in his armory.
But the absolute WORST, idiotic firearm Ive seen in a movie is in Desierto...I re-checked before chiming in here to refresh my memory, but the cut-down M1 Garand he uses is flat out retarded.
Its literally the dumbest thing Ive seen on screen, youll just have to see it youself. He has to manuallly operate it after every shot. The sling set up is ridiculous. Stupid rifle, even stupider movie.

SteyrAUG
12-30-21, 03:24
A couple days ago watched Charlton Heston in Omega Man for the first time in a long,long time. I did freeze frame a few times to see what all he had in his armory.
But the absolute WORST, idiotic firearm Ive seen in a movie is in Desierto...I re-checked before chiming in here to refresh my memory, but the cut-down M1 Garand he uses is flat out retarded.
Its literally the dumbest thing Ive seen on screen, youll just have to see it youself. He has to manuallly operate it after every shot. The sling set up is ridiculous. Stupid rifle, even stupider movie.

Sounds like a film that is safely avoided by all. At first I thought it would be a Tanker Garand, but it's actually worse. Some kind of sporterized nonsense with no forend stocks at all and a scout mounted long range scope. Looks like something you'd draw in a comic book and then struggle to render in real life. Makes as much sense as a lever action laser rifle. Hopefully they chopped up one of those Century Arms Garands or at least a Springfield retro issue.

Straight Shooter
12-30-21, 03:34
Sounds like a film that is safely avoided by all. At first I thought it would be a Tanker Garand, but it's actually worse. Some kind of sporterized nonsense with no forend stocks at all and a scout mounted long range scope. Looks like something you'd draw in a comic book and then struggle to render in real life. Makes as much sense as a lever action laser rifle. Hopefully they chopped up one of those Century Arms Garands or at least a Springfield retro issue.

It truly sucked as a movie. But, again...the rifle...I dont know who came up with that idea but they need a kick in the nuts or something. If I was the actor I would have refused to use it.
Dont really know why it "triggered" me..pun intended...so much, but it did/does.

chuckman
12-30-21, 08:00
I believe Larry Vickers did some YouTube vids on weapons in the movies.

Me, I'm more of a period gear queer, wanting to make sure uniforms and gear are correct.

Alpha-17
12-30-21, 08:43
I used to try and stop and movie to ID firearms, but since discovering IMFDB, it's a whole lot easier to just pull it up on my phone and look it up. Always good to get behind the scenes info on certain guns too, like using mock-ups or conversions of one gun to portray another.

markm
12-30-21, 08:59
Never. It might cross my mind that a hollywood gun looked curious, but I don't care that much.

sgtrock82
12-30-21, 11:27
Like that first time I saw the retardation that was the AR-15 pistol in Willem Dafoe's hands in "Clear and Present Danger"? I still thinks it's a retarded idea.

The Mac-uzis gave me fits as a kid, they weren't in any Ian Hogg book I could find lol

I was too young and naive to know Hollywood would mash guns together for props.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

jbjh
12-30-21, 12:42
Like that first time I saw the retardation that was the AR-15 pistol in Willem Dafoe's hands in "Clear and Present Danger"? I still thinks it's a retarded idea.

The Mac-uzis gave me fits as a kid, they weren't in any Ian Hogg book I could find lol

I was too young and naive to know Hollywood would mash guns together for props.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

But you could actually buy that gun - the Olympic Arms OA-93.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diamondback
12-30-21, 13:40
But you could actually buy that gun - the Olympic Arms OA-93.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And it was every bit the steaming heap of crap it looked like, as you'd expect from Olympic. The only BAD thing about their final collapse is they took Safari Arms's "Portsider" lefty 1911 line and tooling down with 'em.

john armond
12-30-21, 13:41
The heavy weapons were MG34s and Lewis Guns, did something similar in Aliens with MG42s. And of course Han Solo's broom handle "blaster."

STGs in Empire Strikes Back.

SteyrAUG
12-30-21, 15:28
I believe Larry Vickers did some YouTube vids on weapons in the movies.

Me, I'm more of a period gear queer, wanting to make sure uniforms and gear are correct.

Yep, the Collateral recreation was probably the most fun.

I do uniforms and gear bad with WWII movies, especially the older b/w ones.

SteyrAUG
12-30-21, 15:33
And it was every bit the steaming heap of crap it looked like, as you'd expect from Olympic. The only BAD thing about their final collapse is they took Safari Arms's "Portsider" lefty 1911 line and tooling down with 'em.

That OA-93 did have an interesting recoil system similar to SIGs. Also they made them, THEN the Clinton ban went into effect so few people knew how crappy they actually were so they took on legend status in the early days of the internet.

Diamondback
12-30-21, 15:35
Yep, the Collateral recreation was probably the most fun.

I do uniforms and gear bad with WWII movies, especially the older b/w ones.
Vehicles here; Patton is particularly jarring even though they DID manage to get one of the last flying Heinkel 111 bombers in the world for that early air-raid scene. (Technically a Spanish license-build, but you really have to know what you're looking for to tell the difference.) And then there's the A-29 Hudson standing in for the historical P-61 Black Widow diversionary strike in The Great Raid... (P-61's a personal favorite, those four 20mm's gave it a bellyful of Ruin Somebody's Day even without any rockets or bombs loaded. None left airworthy or even restorable to it, though.)

SteyrAUG
12-30-21, 17:23
Vehicles here; Patton is particularly jarring even though they DID manage to get one of the last flying Heinkel 111 bombers in the world for that early air-raid scene. (Technically a Spanish license-build, but you really have to know what you're looking for to tell the difference.) And then there's the A-29 Hudson standing in for the historical P-61 Black Widow diversionary strike in The Great Raid... (P-61's a personal favorite, those four 20mm's gave it a bellyful of Ruin Somebody's Day even without any rockets or bombs loaded. None left airworthy or even restorable to it, though.)

We probably shouldn't even begin to discuss vehicles or aircraft. I don't think there were any Japanese planes flying still when they made post war films. T6 Texans stood in for A6M zero's in just about everything I've ever seen. I can't count the number of films I've seen with Sherman tanks with black crosses on them presented as German armor.