PDA

View Full Version : So local Dollar General has started scanning DL's for beer and cigarettes

ABNAK
12-31-21, 15:04
They aren't the only ones of course. I don't smoke but have been known to bend my elbow. Where does this scanned DL information go to? Most places punch in your date of birth as opposed to scanning the DL itself, but how many people have that exact same DOB in your locale, i.e. it wouldn't be hard to narrow down. The tinfoiler in me sees some future point where you are denied health insurance or charged jacked-up rates because you smoke or drink, and this data is sold to the state/Feds/insurance companies. Maybe it becomes mandated by .gov for a business in order to maintain it's alcohol and tobacco license.

223to45
12-31-21, 15:22
BevMo did the same thing.
I believe it just used to verify the ID is legitimate

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

utahjeepr
12-31-21, 15:24
They have been doing it for a while in UT depending upon the store. I'm told it doesn't "go" anywhere, just recorded as "verified" so they have a record for compliance purposes.

Not everywhere does it. At least not in UT. Haven't had anyone ask in AZ.

markm
12-31-21, 15:44
Walgreens does this for everyone regardless of obvious over 21 year appearance.

HKGuns
12-31-21, 15:50
The concern with this should be are they only reading or are they storing any of your information when they scan.

If they store anything you are ripe for identity theft as I am sure these stores have literally no security for your PII.

utahjeepr
12-31-21, 16:24
The concern with this should be are they only reading or are they storing any of your information when they scan.

If they store anything you are ripe for identity theft as I am sure these stores have literally no security for your PII.

I've asked. I was told it just records "electronically verified" or some such. No storage, no transmission of data. Of course that was a c-store clerk with a line to move so take it for what it's worth.

I ain't exactly researched and verified it.

ABNAK
12-31-21, 17:51
If you had asked me my opinion of these types of things a decade ago I would have said "You're nuts, quit being paranoid". Nowadays not so much.....

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-31-21, 18:05
Of course someone is going to figure out a way to monetize this information. Legal or illegal. Between the tech oligarchs and the govt, people are learning that they can just tell the law to piss off and ignore the rules.

ABNAK
12-31-21, 18:08
Of course someone is going to figure out a way to monetize this information. Legal or illegal. Between the tech oligarchs and the govt, people are learning that they can just tell the law to piss off and ignore the rules.

Yep. Once the information is misused and done on a large enough scale it will be the "norm".....and taken as expected.

Whalstib
12-31-21, 20:34
I recall years ago with those phone number grocery store discount cards they WOULD record your purchases and attach to your name and number.

I seem to recall reading about an instance where a dude tripped and fell in the store and was suing but upon inspection of his buying record it was huge amounts of booze! Supposedly the store claimed he was drunk and insurance company agreed and it had gone to court.....Not sure if true or how it came out but as a result a buddy of mine told me NOT to use my phone number for these clubs!

I agreed....So I used his! :D

Don't worry he was/is a jerk! :D Hasn't spoken to me since I suggested he read deeper into the Trayvon Martin case....

Averageman
12-31-21, 20:46
In the 70's I got carded in Utah for a cup of coffee.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-31-21, 21:13
In the 70's I got carded in Utah for a cup of coffee.

You need a permit for an espresso…

Averageman
12-31-21, 22:46
I think it was Mormon thing.

utahjeepr
12-31-21, 22:54
I recall years ago with those phone number grocery store discount cards they WOULD record your purchases and attach to your name and number.

I seem to recall reading about an instance where a dude tripped and fell in the store and was suing but upon inspection of his buying record it was huge amounts of booze! Supposedly the store claimed he was drunk and insurance company agreed and it had gone to court.....Not sure if true or how it came out but as a result a buddy of mine told me NOT to use my phone number for these clubs!

I agreed....So I used his! :D

Don't worry he was/is a jerk! :D Hasn't spoken to me since I suggested he read deeper into the Trayvon Martin case....

I've been using the grocery stores own phone number for years.

CRAMBONE
01-01-22, 01:23
Local tobacco chain started doing that. Scanned my id last time I bought snuff. Clerk said it was because they had a few stores get busted selling to minors and the scanners just verify the barcode is linked to a legit id. Bars have been doing it for a few years.

REDinFL
01-01-22, 12:35
867-0309

utahjeepr
01-01-22, 13:34
867-0309

Umm, 5309. At least if you want Jenny to show you a good time.

eightmillimeter
01-01-22, 15:06
The barcode on your ID is just a key which allows the transaction to proceed. This exists because your average register clerk these days doesn’t have the mental ability to determine if someone is of age or not. Companies don’t like getting fines and losing their liquor licenses for selling to minors….

AKDoug
01-01-22, 16:05
The barcode on your ID is just a key which allows the transaction to proceed. This exists because your average register clerk these days doesn’t have the mental ability to determine if someone is of age or not. Companies don’t like getting fines and losing their liquor licenses for selling to minors….

Pretty much this. Also weeds out people that are using old licenses when they now have a license with an alcohol sale restriction on it. I'm not sure if all states have this, but mine does. As a guy who owns a retail business I have no issues making a clerks life easier, whether they have the capacity to do the math or not. Keeping that line moving is important, and lessoning mistakes is important.

.45fan
01-01-22, 18:33

If they store anything you are ripe for identity theft as I am sure these stores have literally no security for your PII.I know my SS number has been tied to my CDL for a long time. I refuse to let anyone scan it at stores. There are too many places that appreciate my business to allow that to happen.

.45fan
01-01-22, 18:39
The barcode on your ID is just a key which allows the transaction to proceed. This exists because your average register clerk these days doesn’t have the mental ability to determine if someone is of age or not. Companies don’t like getting fines and losing their liquor licenses for selling to minors….That bar code also has all your info on it.
Cops swipe them and their printer puts your life history on the ticket. Its been that way for quite a few years now.

Do we think cops are the only one with that technology?

Bulletdog
01-01-22, 21:15
I don't play those games. Best Buy tried to scan my DL into their computer years ago for a return. They claimed that "this is how we track returns". I said you can track my return with the bar code on your receipt or the credit card I used. They refused and I've never been back.

eightmillimeter
01-02-22, 00:03
That bar code also has all your info on it.
Cops swipe them and their printer puts your life history on the ticket. Its been that way for quite a few years now.

Do we think cops are the only one with that technology?

Wow people just make everything a conspiracy

.45fan
01-02-22, 12:03
Wow people just make everything a conspiracyWhat is a conspiracy?

It is a fact your info is on it, are you saying the police are the only entity with the ability to read that info?

utahjeepr
01-02-22, 12:43
All the info on your DL is already in the wild. There really ain't that much there. What a cop pulls up in in their system. The bar code is simply a "key" to identify which file to "open". Not saying PERSEC ain't a thing, cause it is. But the clerk at the quicky-rob ain't downloading your police file off of your DL.

The simple and inconvenient truth is that we often give away our personal information freely for little or no reward. Hell, the average farcebook page or online dating profile gives up more valuable info than your DL.

Between big tech and big .gov the genie is out of the bottle.

TBAR_94
01-02-22, 13:32
Unless you have a side hustle selling Fake IDs to kids I don’t think this a problem. Scanning the ID just eliminates the data entry requirements of the cashier—and the newer “Real IDs” are harder to fake than old school licenses. I’ll admit it’s a hassle to pull my DL out just to get a can of dip, but I personally wouldn’t lose sleep over this one.

.45fan
01-02-22, 15:28
All the info on your DL is already in the wild. There really ain't that much there. What a cop pulls up in in their system. The bar code is simply a "key" to identify which file to "open". Not saying PERSEC ain't a thing, cause it is. But the clerk at the quicky-rob ain't downloading your police file off of your DL.

The simple and inconvenient truth is that we often give away our personal information freely for little or no reward. Hell, the average farcebook page or online dating profile gives up more valuable info than your DL.

Between big tech and big .gov the genie is out of the bottle.

I personally don't use book face, or any social media other than gun forums. The ones that ask for a B Date, I put 1-1-1970.
I try to keep my info to myself as much as possible, but having a SS number tied to a drivers license is bad in my opinion.

I know the last ticket I got in a big truck had my SS number on it, the commercial vehicle enforcement cop had my SS number that I certainly did not give to him.

See the screen shot showing the first result of a search showing it us a " widely accepted practice " for cops to do this, but not the law. That is dated from 2009 so it isn't something new.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220102/97722cf7decfc1784e734a84c7986350.jpg

AKDoug
01-02-22, 16:14
I've got a notice of violation for one of my commercial drivers sitting in front of me. No SSN anywhere on it. Just his CDL number. I guess it varies between states.

utahjeepr
01-02-22, 17:41
Your SSN must have been in the system when he pulled up your info on the computer. Lots of info in the system, not on the DL. I know it is an option in many states to have your SSN placed on your license, but it is a BAD idea to choose that option. If I recall correcty SSN is required on the form for a "real ID" but it does not have to be printed on the license.

The only optional bit of info printed on my CDL is "organ donor". No SSN. But I am sure the officer will have it in his system when he pulls me up on his laptop. Now, how secure that system is would be a whole different conversation. So far as I know the clerk scanning my ID gets nothing. Just a green light for the sale.

I think y'all are tilting at the wrong windmill.

.45fan
01-02-22, 21:36
Your SSN must have been in the system when he pulled up your info on the computer. Lots of info in the system, not on the DL. I know it is an option in many states to have your SSN placed on your license, but it is a BAD idea to choose that option. If I recall correcty SSN is required on the form for a "real ID" but it does not have to be printed on the license.

The only optional bit of info printed on my CDL is "organ donor". No SSN. But I am sure the officer will have it in his system when he pulls me up on his laptop. Now, how secure that system is would be a whole different conversation. So far as I know the clerk scanning my ID gets nothing. Just a green light for the sale.

I think y'all are tilting at the wrong windmill.That's possible, I just know it was on the form and I didn't give it to him.

I guess the easiest fix us to drags knife over the strip so it can't be scanned by anyone, then there is nothing to worry about.

eightmillimeter
01-03-22, 05:13
Unless you have a side hustle selling Fake IDs to kids I don’t think this a problem. Scanning the ID just eliminates the data entry requirements of the cashier—and the newer “Real IDs” are harder to fake than old school licenses. I’ll admit it’s a hassle to pull my DL out just to get a can of dip, but I personally wouldn’t lose sleep over this one.

Glad to see somebody else is capable of breathing oxygen

thepatriot2705
01-03-22, 13:57
BevMo did the same thing.
I believe it just used to verify the ID is legitimate

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Work at a bar part time. Fakes are incredibly real and the best ones still scan. I have to believe scanning ids for booze/tobacco is for data collection purposes