PDA

View Full Version : Backups

bkb0000
12-15-08, 04:46
What heaters are you packin for backups? A long time ago a cop buddy told me he and most of his collegues were keeping keltec p32s on their ankles. seeing as they were like $1.24, i picked one up, and ordered a pocket clip for it. i do generally keep it clipped to the top of my boot.

they're pretty flimsy little things. i fire it now and then, but i keep the round count very low, as the frame slide rails and spring guide are entirely plastic. i have a beretta bobcat .22lr, but no great way to comfortably and securely pack it around (and the flip-up breech kind of freaks me out). other than that, i haven't really seen anything in that size category that'd make a good backup piece.

not looking to debate the merits of carrying a secondary.

John_Wayne777
12-15-08, 06:37
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0703.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/backups.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0879.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0520.jpg

Littlelebowski
12-15-08, 06:42
If you're ever out near the NRA range, how about letting me test drive that M&Pc?

decodeddiesel
12-15-08, 09:25
I have fired the Keltec .32 and .380 and HATED it. My wife has a PPK which I absolutely love but realistically it's too heavy for a BUG. I know it's basically an improved Keltec but I am going with an LCP for my BUG. I fired my buddies here at work and thought "OK, it's not very comfortable, but it works and it's better than a Keltec." I've been on a list for one at $259.00 since May of last year and it finally came in :cool: Hopefully being brand new from the factory it will already of had all of the recall work done.

ST911
12-15-08, 10:04
What heaters are you packin for backups?

Glock subcompacts, S&W J-frames

they're pretty flimsy little things. i fire it now and then, but i keep the round count very low, as the frame slide rails and spring guide are entirely plastic.

My P3AT is ~1800 rounds or so, and doing well.

Dave L.
12-15-08, 10:18
How do you guys like those LCP's?
How much do they run and how much was the laser?

Right now I have a G26 but I'm looking to downsize.

ST911
12-15-08, 10:29

Generally:

Hides well. It's best as a 3rd or 4th gun.

If you have a P3AT that runs well, I wouldn't swap it for an LCP.

If you don't have one, buy an LCP instead of the P3AT.

The LCP is more consistent across the line than the P3AT.

If shopping used cases, watch out for recall dumps that haven't been sent in, and/or dealers that will tell they have.

decodeddiesel
12-15-08, 10:36
Generally:

Hides well. It's best as a 3rd or 4th gun.

If you have a P3AT that runs well, I wouldn't swap it for an LCP.

If you don't have one, buy an LCP instead of the P3AT.

The LCP is more consistent across the line than the P3AT.

If shopping used cases, watch out for recall dumps that haven't been sent in, and/or dealers that will tell they have.

:eek: Good night! Do you seriously carry 3 or 4 guns or did I misunderstand your post? What do you do for a living?

DocMinster
12-15-08, 10:37
I have that S&W Model 442 Airweight in .38 Special and love it ...It weighs 15oz empty Aluminum Alloy Frame/Carbon Steel Cylinder ...and Hammerless

I load it with 125gr +P Golden Sabers and do not regret not opting for the heavier 38/.357

John_Wayne777
12-15-08, 11:32
If you're ever out near the NRA range, how about letting me test drive that M&Pc?

I've been thinking about that...maybe we should have a little M4C get-together at the NRA range over the holidays. I've never been there but I hear it's nice. Maybe I could even (finally) stop by Robb's store and buy him a steak or something. I still owe him for hooking me up on a couple of things...

If I can make it up there you're more than welcome to whatever trigger time you want on the 9C. I'm about to replace the sights on it with Warren 2 dots as soon as they show up and it'll need to be sighted in.

John_Wayne777
12-15-08, 11:35
:eek: Good night! Do you seriously carry 3 or 4 guns or did I misunderstand your post? What do you do for a living?

I've been known to carry 3 guns on occasion. It's not so much about what you do for a living as it is about having a more readily accessible pistol in certain situations.

Generally when I carry my LCP it's a backup to the Smith 442 because those are really the only two handguns I can get away with packing. On some occasions it's carried as a tertiary pistol in a pocket or something because it might be harder to get to my primary.

How much do they run and how much was the laser?

Right now I have a G26 but I'm looking to downsize.

I snagged the LCP for 289 or something close to that from GotM4. I bought the CT unit from the LCP forums for 160 something. It's a pretty capable little package for what it is.

As far as replacing your G26....don't.

I like the LCP. I can even shoot one reasonably well:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0883.jpg

Mine's been reliable, but in all honesty I'd rather have my 442 as a BUG any day as it's sure to give me at least 5 rounds. Small semi-autos aren't known for their reliability. Still, if it's one of those days where you have to use the LCP as a BUG or nothing, the LCP beats throwing rocks.

If you don't have a J frame, I'd advise getting one and outfitting it with CT grips before going for the LCP. The J frame is smaller and easier to conceal than the G26.

ToddG
12-15-08, 13:52
I carried a 442 for quite a while as a BUG. When I got my LCP, I switched over to that sometimes. Now it's awaiting its recall box and has developed an unrelated problem with the action, so I'm back to the 442.

The 442 is more powerful.

The LCP is smaller, lighter, easier to conceal, higher capacity, and faster to reload. Depending on skill level, it might also be considerably or at least slightly easier to shoot well.

Littlelebowski
12-15-08, 13:58
I've been thinking about that...maybe we should have a little M4C get-together at the NRA range over the holidays. I've never been there but I hear it's nice. Maybe I could even (finally) stop by Robb's store and buy him a steak or something. I still owe him for hooking me up on a couple of things...

If I can make it up there you're more than welcome to whatever trigger time you want on the 9C. I'm about to replace the sights on it with Warren 2 dots as soon as they show up and it'll need to be sighted in.

I think a get together at the NRA range is a fantastic idea. Maybe we should start another thread.

maximus83
12-15-08, 14:38
The LCP is smaller, lighter, easier to conceal, higher capacity, and faster to reload. Depending on skill level, it might also be considerably or at least slightly easier to shoot well.

Todd as usual has the good concise summary.

I would say also that for me (I have large hands), it is rather difficult to hold the LCP in such a way that it is comfortable for repeated firing at the range. I can get a few accurate shots off, but it hurts when I use hotter defensive loads!!! I will keep mine for the reasons Todd lists above, and still recommend it, but I cannot just sit there and shoot it continuously at the range. This does not seem to be an issue for everybody who gets one, but just be aware that you may have to set your expectations differently for this one than for a full-sized pistol.

ST911
12-15-08, 15:25
I've been known to carry 3 guns on occasion. It's not so much about what you do for a living as it is about having a more readily accessible pistol in certain situations.

This.

Carrying 3-4 guns is not difficult, when one is sufficiently motivated.

decodeddiesel
12-15-08, 16:40
This.

Carrying 3-4 guns is not difficult, when one is sufficiently motivated.

I suppose not, however I would honestly rather not place myself into the situation where I may feel as though carrying 4 firearms on my person would be prudent and or practical. I understand Poop happens, trust me, but even so I just don't see myself in a situation where I would ever need more than 2 firearms.

Hell, even in Iraq the most I carried was 2. Albeit one of those was an M4 and there were at a minimum 10 other dudes with me who all had M4s, M249s, and M4/M203s...but it was Iraq...

kaltblitz
12-15-08, 16:50
My little S&W 442 (wearing Crimson Trace grips) rides in my front right pant pocket in a Kramer holster all the time...both in and out of uniform.

Amp Mangum
12-15-08, 17:13
S&W 642. Had a KelTec P32 for a while. It was flat and disappeared in in your pocket but it never was reliable enough to trust.

dhrith
12-15-08, 17:36
http://www.taurususa.com/images/imagesMain/651B.jpg

sold my P3AT and have to say I miss that small light little bugger. Probably get a LCP soon'ish. That being said not sure I'd go with a 32 over the 380 for just one round.

Chooie
12-15-08, 17:43
So long as I'm wearing something with pockets, this little guy is my companion. It's a second generation (you can tell from the extractor bolt) with a Hogue slip on grip and Bersa magazine floorplate. The holster is a Ron Graham K-RAT.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/chooie/2A/DSC00032.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/chooie/2A/DSC00034.jpg

ST911
12-15-08, 20:37
I suppose not, however I would honestly rather not place myself into the situation where I may feel as though carrying 4 firearms on my person would be prudent and or practical. I understand Poop happens, trust me, but even so I just don't see myself in a situation where I would ever need more than 2 firearms.

Me either. Nonetheless, it's useful experimentation, enjoyable sport, and a simple exercise of liberty.

SeriousStudent
12-15-08, 21:01
Summer, which in Texas is 9 months of the year:

S&W 642 with a Barami Hip Grip, and a Tyler T-Grip adapter, in a Mika pocket holster. I feed it the short-barrel .38 Gold Dots, and it groups fairly well.

Winter, for coat pocket carry:

S&W stainless Model 60, 2-inch barrel, in .357 Magnum with an old Bianchi Lighting Grip, it mimics a 638. It rides in a Galco horsehide pocket holster in the coat pocket. The fodder is +P short-barrel .357 Gold Dots, and is freakishly accurate. It will shoot one ragged hole at 7 yards. I suck with a pistol, but this thing was born on another planet. It was a cop trade-in, and I think I paid $250 for it.

And it ain't for sale - my daughter gets it when she graduates from the police academy.

SeriousStudent
12-15-08, 21:09
By the way, Midway has LCP mags on sale for 15 percent off.

Jack_Stroker
12-15-08, 23:18
I carry a Springfield TRP in stainless steel most of the time. Sometimes I carry a Springfield XD-45 4" Service Model as a main weapon. For backup weapons I've been known to carry a Springfield Loaded Champion 4" 1911 in a small of the back holster or even use the XD-45 4" Service Model as a backup to compliment my Springfield XD-45 5" Tactical but usually I carry my Smith & Wesson 637 .38 Special +P in a Desantis pocket holster.

It depends on what I'll be wearing that day. Which is usually determined by the weather. In the winter I'm more apt to carry larger guns.

Gentoo
12-16-08, 00:50
Where I live, we only have two seasons: Summer and Hell.

I am trying to decide between a 642 or a LCP for a pocket pistol.

CLHC
12-16-08, 01:22
I CCW a G.19, but am looking for that "backup" gun. Deciding on either the S&W 442 Airweight, the NAA Guardian 380, or another G.19. Will see how goes it.

normal
12-16-08, 04:22
I was never a believer in BUGS, until the LCP's came out. I picked one up and it is so easy to carry that I can't make up an excuse not to throw it into my pocket (with a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster of course). I am also awaiting my recall box and am happy that Ruger is providing a spare magazine with the extension, because I want to feel what the extension will do for controlability.

Jack_Stroker
12-16-08, 09:18
I was never a believer in BUGS, until the LCP's came out. I picked one up and it is so easy to carry that I can't make up an excuse not to throw it into my pocket (with a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster of course). I am also awaiting my recall box and am happy that Ruger is providing a spare magazine with the extension, because I want to feel what the extension will do for controlability.

That is how I feel about my Smith & Wesson 637 which is an airweight pistol. Light and easy to pocket. It goes with me everywhere I can legally carry.

Paladin_139
12-17-08, 17:28
I carry a glock 27 in my left side pant cargo pocket while i'm working. I have a leather holster that grabs the pocket on the draw and it works well for me. It did take a little getting used to and it's not the lightest in the world but it works. We use glock 22's for work so the main reason I picked the 27 is that it'll take a fullsize 22 magazine and work fine. I carry it on my off side incase someone goes for my duty gun, I can clamp down on it with my right arm and draw the 27 with my off hand and remedy the situation. My .02

sewvacman
12-17-08, 22:31
Smith model 60 .38. It's a lady smith without it saying "ladysmith" on the side.

Savior 6
12-17-08, 22:57
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc325/Savior_6/Toys/DSC01618.jpg

m6scout
12-18-08, 10:02
Here in VA ,I carry a S&W model 38 Airweight with Houge grips in an Uncle Mike's sidekick pocket holster.I love this little gun except for one thing ......it has a nickel finish,can you say "PIMP GUN"but ,I guess shinny doesn't matter when it is in your pocket and you can defend yourself if need be.

Limey-
12-18-08, 13:46
CT Brian did a little work on this 360PD 357mag it has mandatory CTC grips.
Holster is Matt DelFatti. It weighs about 12oz. I also carry it on the ankle in an ankle glove or pocket with a MIKA pocket holster. I carry this 90% off Duty and it is my bug to an HK45/M16/870 on.

http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/album/00000694/360Delfatti.jpg

jjc155
12-18-08, 16:55
I have a S&W 340pd .357 that I carry in my pocket and a Glock 26 that I carry either on my ballistic vest or in a IWB holster off duty.

J-

Parabellum9x19mm
12-19-08, 00:48
Walther PPS 9mm, Bersa .380 both see back-up duty w/me

bkb0000
12-19-08, 01:10
Walther PPS 9mm, Bersa .380 both see back-up duty w/me

what do you think of that bersa? i had a loaded one in the hands of an idiot pointed at me the other day, so my only experience has been negative. :)

jchtrh
12-20-08, 03:43
S&W 340PD loaded with .38 Special+P's

LawDog
12-20-08, 10:31
Smith airweight 642 hammerless in .38 spec +P.

hawk
12-20-08, 14:36
S&W Bodyguard Airweight in a Bianchi pocket holster. I've got a couple of Kel-Tec 32s but have never carried them for backup. I was intrigued the other day to see the Desert Eagle Micro .380, not that I would feel comfortable carrying a .380.

NC12215
12-20-08, 22:05
S&W M60 with the hammer spur bobbed. Or my Para Carry 9. Both are comforting to have.
Dave

AwaySooner
12-20-08, 22:38
Are you guys aware of the LCP recall? This sounds like poor excuse for putting out defective product.

"We want to remind gun users that, for maximum safety when carrying any pistol with a loaded magazine in place, the chamber should be empty, and the slide should be closed. Any gun may fire if dropped or struck."

http://www.ruger.com/LCPRecall/index.html

Dan Goodwin
12-21-08, 08:28
CT Brian did a little work on this 360PD 357mag it has mandatory CTC grips.
Holster is Matt DelFatti. It weighs about 12oz. I also carry it on the ankle in an ankle glove or pocket with a MIKA pocket holster. I carry this 90% off Duty and it is my bug to an HK45/M16/870 on.

http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/album/00000694/360Delfatti.jpg

Dude, that holster is too pretty to be IWB!

As for the subject at hand, no serious gun packer should EVER be without a J-frame of some flavor. If I have pants on my 442 (Pre-lock) is in the pocket.

The LCP is spot on for a third gun, and I appreciate the tip the mags are on sale...sold my T&E model to a buddy and he's already had the recall work done and it never burped anyhow.

Me, I'm thinking about getting another J-frame, perhaps one of the RSR no-lock special runs.

I keep putting off getting the CT LGs to buy other stuff; the 442 hits a 6-in. plate every time at 20 yards if I flinch just right.

Parabellum9x19mm
12-21-08, 17:01
what do you think of that bersa? i had a loaded one in the hands of an idiot pointed at me the other day, so my only experience has been negative. :)

wow. that would be a negative.

i like it. i bought it used for around $200 w/ three mags. it came without the key for the "safety" lock-out feature. that didn't bother me one bit. it already has a decocking safety catch, firing pin block and magazine out of battery safety. it really doesn't need a lock out.

anyway. bought it for my girlfriend. we ended up breaking up, so i wound up being stuck with it...but actually....i wound up being surprised.

it eats Rem, Corbon and Hornady XTP hollows all day. fits better in the pocket than a PPS, and i can kick it around in an ankle holster. i can lock it in the glove box and not worry about it rusting, because frankly, its a cheap Argentinean knock-off.

but i will say it has been very reliable. the only thing is that you don't want to top off the magazine to 7+1. it's not meant to be loaded up with 8 rounds, it will often FTF on the 2nd round. also, spare mags are over-priced for being just a basic single stack, pinky rest mag with a weak spring. other than that, extremely reliable & good value.