PDA

View Full Version : Had An Unexpected Bump Fire At the Range Today

tgizzard
01-07-22, 20:12
As the title implies, while at the range today I had an unexpected bump fire while shooting. I had run through five mags and was towards the end of my sixth when it happened. Gun in question was a Lone Wolf Timberwolf Full Frame compact. All lone wolf internals with exception of polymer 80 trigger. Have an old G17 frame on top and Griffin Armament drop in match barrel with a standard gen 3 guide rod. This was a first and was, admittedly, slightly embarrassing as the RO who I was talking with when I first got there came over and politely implied I should switch over to shooting a different pistol. This "offered advice" was a bit frustrating as I wanted to shoot a few more mags to see if the issue repeated or if it was a freak one and done. I know with Polymer 80 builds there can be issues with the rear metal slide piece the trigger housing sits in, but some dremel work usually fixes that (I've built a couple and experienced this with both). The Timber Wolf Frame isn't set up in the same way, so not sure this is the problem. Ammo was 124 grain Aguila FMJ, never had issues shooting this stuff before. Guess I'm wondering what others have done when and if they've encountered this with an aftermarket Glock frame.

01-07-22, 22:39
That’s a lot to digest. I think I would part that thing out on the arfcom EE and buy me a Glock.

tgizzard
01-08-22, 06:30
That’s a lot to digest. I think I would part that thing out on the arfcom EE and buy me a Glock.

Fair enough. This was never meant to be anything more than what it is, a build to have fun with. My go to HD pistol is a 17 and when I carry it’s either my 19 or 43x.

If i’m the only one who’s ever experienced this, i’ll figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ggammell
01-08-22, 06:59
If you want to keep it, put all Glock internals in it.

Mjolnir
01-08-22, 07:05
Fair enough. This was never meant to be anything more than what it is, a build to have fun with. My go to HD pistol is a 17 and when I carry it’s either my 19 or 43x.

If i’m the only one who’s ever experienced this, i’ll figure it out.

Never understood “it’s only a gun gun” IT’S GOT TO BE SAFE, IT’S GOT TO BE RELIABLE, IT’S GOT TO BE ACCURATE - just like my carry pistol... [emoji2375]

Put Glock internals in it.

tgizzard
01-08-22, 07:25
Never understood “it’s only a gun gun” IT’S GOT TO BE SAFE, IT’S GOT TO BE RELIABLE, IT’S GOT TO BE ACCURATE - just like my carry pistol... [emoji2375]

Put Glock internals in it.

Point here is me seeking advice to make it safe and reliable. Didn’t say it was “just a gun” I was being clear with the intended use of the gun and pointing out its not meant to fill any SD role. It was intended to be a fun project. I’ve never understood the you can’t step out and try a project just to enjoy it mentality.

I’ll take your advice though and go back to basics with the internals.

tgizzard
01-08-22, 07:25
If you want to keep it, put all Glock internals in it.

Noted and will go this route, thank you

Sikiguya
01-08-22, 09:17
Firing pin safety spring. Check that. I had the same situation with a Glock. It would fire twice when you pull the trigger. I checked everything and finally gave it to a gunsmith. He said the spring had broke and there was a piece inside. I had taken it apart and not noticed it. Causing the said malfunction. Worked perfectly after it was replaced.

I do miss my OCD gunsmith. He closed his shop due to family health issues.

sinister
01-08-22, 10:01
You have pride in a project you built. Congratulations!

You now know it fires in unintentional full-automatic bump mode. Sure, you didn't intend for it to do that -- but doesn't take away from the fact it is not as intended and designed.

Fix it or acknowledge you own an automatic weapon. Fun project, Happy Day.

It didn't pass live-fire function check.

tgizzard
01-08-22, 12:59
Firing pin safety spring. Check that. I had the same situation with a Glock. It would fire twice when you pull the trigger. I checked everything and finally gave it to a gunsmith. He said the spring had broke and there was a piece inside. I had taken it apart and not noticed it. Causing the said malfunction. Worked perfectly after it was replaced.

I do miss my OCD gunsmith. He closed his shop due to family health issues.

Will do, if that takes care of the issue that would be a lot easier than taking the whole thing apart and then waiting on all new parts to come in.

You have pride in a project you built. Congratulations!

You now know it fires in unintentional full-automatic bump mode. Sure, you didn't intend for it to do that -- but doesn't take away from the fact it is not as intended and designed.

Fix it or acknowledge you own an automatic weapon. Fun project, Happy Day.

It didn't pass live-fire function check.

No it did not pass at all. Don’t think full auto is gonna pass the good to go test [emoji51].

sinister
01-08-22, 16:43
Not the end of the world -- if it's just tolerance-stacking, Glock factory parts may just fix it.

Same as if you'd cloned anyone else's design.

Pappabear
01-08-22, 16:51
If it was just a fun project, you have had your fun and that is cool. Also you learned some shit along the way, which is also cool. Take your next step and drop in Glock parts and enjoy that learning, its all good.

Enjoy your project and keep that 17/19 handy.

PB

tgizzard
01-08-22, 17:50
If it was just a fun project, you have had your fun and that is cool. Also you learned some shit along the way, which is also cool. Take your next step and drop in Glock parts and enjoy that learning, its all good.

Enjoy your project and keep that 17/19 handy.

PB

Brought it over to my LGS this afternoon and had them give it a look. They suggested replacing the LW connector with a Glock one, so we did. Going to bring it back to the range tomorrow and see if the problem is corrected.

tgizzard
01-09-22, 13:25
Took it to the range today. Put 200 rounds same ammo through it alternating between slow firing and rapid (as one can be at a public range) firing. Happy to report no malfunctions and more importantly no bumpfire burst. Thanks for the input, lesson learned for the future here. Keep it simple stupid.

sinister
01-09-22, 18:39
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/012/542/thumb-up-terminator_pablo_M_R.jpg

DirectTo
01-09-22, 21:50
Good to hear. If you can ignore the “shoulda bought a X” idiocy on gun forums you can really have some fun working with projects.

Tolerance stacking can be a real issue with guns with loose tolerances (which otherwise help reliability) just as much as a uptight 1911.