PDA

View Full Version : Mayor of Kingstown: Paramount+ S1

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-12-22, 03:10
I've enjoyed Yellowstone, and I've like Taylor Sheridans movies.

Mayor of Kingstown is a current era drama about three brothers that 'run' a fictional Michigan town whose main industry is incarceration. Like 7 facilities, which brings in enough money to support a crappy town, which seems to be outside Detroit somewhere. Three brothers work to keep the cops and robbers in harmony for the good of the city. One is the 'mayor' as the go-to fixer, one is a former felon, the other is a cop. Their mom is a teacher inside and outside the prison system. The are not Ray Donovan- they are low-rent versions with out the Hollywood glam. They make money, but not much selling influence and broker peace between the prison guards and the convict in the prisons, and then also between the cops and criminals outside the prison, and also between the rival gangs (mafia, Whites, blacks and hispanics) on the outside.

Goes about how you think it will.

I like it. Jeremy Renner is solid, along with the other actors. Not family friendly- boobs and BOOMs. There is a SWAT guy that they call 'The Beast' who takes out the trash. Wife liked it too.

Just finished the season. It's TV, so the body count is too high, which is almost a crutch. Characters and plot are well developed and it ties most things up, but leaves avenues for the 2nd season.

Taylor Sheridan is one dark mo-fo. Between Yellowstone, 1883 and this-- he doesn't seem to think there is much good in the world and most people. Fits the times. Gave me some odd dreams after binging the last three episodes to finish the season last night.

Strong suggest.

pag23
01-12-22, 05:01
I liked the first episode but I don't want to pay for Paramount plus....Yellowstone is great but I hope they don't jump the shark anytime soon...

Hush
01-12-22, 06:14
This is one of the best shows I've seen in a long time. I thought it would be rough and cliched, but it was much more nuanced and VERY good. Renner is great, and the SWAT team is perfect. It's a satisfying show, definitely worth a watch.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-12-22, 07:54
This is one of the best shows I've seen in a long time. I thought it would be rough and cliched, but it was much more nuanced and VERY good. Renner is great, and the SWAT team is perfect. It's a satisfying show, definitely worth a watch.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

When it is time to lay down the hate and they pull aside "the beast" to see if he is on board, and his response is somewhere between "Of course" and "it's Tuesday". Another scene, a line like "When was the last time your guys shot their guns? My guys shot people in the face yesterday morning."

I agree on Paramount+, it was only with 1883 and Kingstown that tipped us. 1883 is good. DARK. Maybe some PC, but we'll see how it plays.

Adrenaline_6
01-12-22, 09:43
I liked it. Sure, there is some wokeism with the Mom put in there unnecessarily, but it doesn't take away from the story except for the occasional "stfu" remark from me while it's playing. Too bad she wasn't one of the ones who got offed in the riot. The "beast" is awesome.

1883, I like too. Sure they are dark, but it wasn't called the Wild West for no reason and it sheds light on how much of a risk it was for the people traveling West back then and why they took those risks.

lowprone
01-12-22, 11:47
People today are so risk averse that portrayals such as these seem ' dark ' and frightening when in reality
those days people rarely live beyond 55-60 and life was so hard that people today would suck their GLOCK
if placed in a likewise situation.

DuckFart
01-12-22, 13:29
I liked the first couple seasons of Yellowstone, but then it got way to far fetched for me. The 1883 preview was cool. For those who have Pramount+ has this series and 1883 remained somewhat believable?

jbjh
01-12-22, 15:01
I liked the first couple seasons of Yellowstone, but then it got way to far fetched for me. The 1883 preview was cool. For those who have Pramount+ has this series and 1883 remained somewhat believable?

That’s because is turned itself into a felonious soap opera. Not that it isn’t fun, but it’s waaayyy over the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honu
01-13-22, 14:50
That’s because is turned itself into a felonious soap opera. Not that it isn’t fun, but it’s waaayyy over the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its like they need to make shows for the conservative side and then know they can inject the idiocy a few seasons once the hook is in and they sneak up and trash it sadly

I just enjoy watching youtube with folks that do things I like but watch stuff on the side more than anything these days as not to much holds interest :)

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-13-22, 15:16
Its like they need to make shows for the conservative side and then know they can inject the idiocy a few seasons once the hook is in and they sneak up and trash it sadly

I just enjoy watching youtube with folks that do things I like but watch stuff on the side more than anything these days as not to much holds interest :)

The Tom Clancy effect…. That last PRime Jack RYan season was a complete crap-show

fred
01-13-22, 15:32
The first episode of Mayor of Kingstown was just OK, almost bad. We thought it was like a low-rent version of The Shield, but without characters we cared about. Pass.
1883 is good but not enough to pay extra.
We would rather watch reruns of I Love Lucy or News Radio at bedtime, than almost anything new on TV or streaming.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-13-22, 16:50
I do think your comment exposes a major problem with programming nowadays. Any new show isn’t just competing against other shows that are on now, they are competing against all the great shows that you haven’t watched yet.

Five_Point_Five_Six
01-13-22, 19:37
I've enjoyed Yellowstone, and I've like Taylor Sheridans movies.

Mayor of Kingstown is a current era drama about three brothers that 'run' a fictional Michigan town whose main industry is incarceration. Like 7 facilities, which brings in enough money to support a crappy town, which seems to be outside Detroit somewhere. Three brothers work to keep the cops and robbers in harmony for the good of the city. One is the 'mayor' as the go-to fixer, one is a former felon, the other is a cop. Their mom is a teacher inside and outside the prison system. The are not Ray Donovan- they are low-rent versions with out the Hollywood glam. They make money, but not much selling influence and broker peace between the prison guards and the convict in the prisons, and then also between the cops and criminals outside the prison, and also between the rival gangs (mafia, Whites, blacks and hispanics) on the outside.

Goes about how you think it will.

I like it. Jeremy Renner is solid, along with the other actors. Not family friendly- boobs and BOOMs. There is a SWAT guy that they call 'The Beast' who takes out the trash. Wife liked it too.

Just finished the season. It's TV, so the body count is too high, which is almost a crutch. Characters and plot are well developed and it ties most things up, but leaves avenues for the 2nd season.

Taylor Sheridan is one dark mo-fo. Between Yellowstone, 1883 and this-- he doesn't seem to think there is much good in the world and most people. Fits the times. Gave me some odd dreams after binging the last three episodes to finish the season last night.

Strong suggest.

Don't forget Taylor Sheridan also wrote both Sicario movies.

I liked Mayor of Kingstown. I liked the "questionable" tactics of The Beast and his SWAT team.

Jellybean
01-13-22, 23:20
The Tom Clancy effect…. That last PRime Jack RYan season was a complete crap-show

BOTH seasons of Jack Ryan sucked.
I like the guy from The Office as an "operator"; he fits it surprisingly well, but that show was awful all around.