PDA

View Full Version : SIG launches commercial variant of the Next Generation Squad Weapon

Slater
01-13-22, 10:43
I can only imagine how much this thing is going to cost. And the competition isn't even decided yet.

https://www.sigsauer.com/blog/sig-sauer-launches-commercial-variant-of-us-army-next-generation-squad-weapon-ngsw-mcx-spear-and-277-sig-fury-ammunition

Quinn
01-13-22, 10:48
I saw this. Very cool.. I wonder how expensive the proprietary ammo will be as well.

Hank6046
01-13-22, 10:54
Cool, I know that the price will be high, but I in 5 years (So long as our rights remain in place) the aftermarket and other manufactures will hopefully bring more to the market and more options at cheaper prices is generally good for everyone

robbins290
01-13-22, 10:55
33.95 for 20 rounds of FMJ

https://www.sigsauer.com/elite-ball-fmj-277-sig-fury.html

sgtrock82
01-13-22, 10:56
I can't wait till we leave a pile of these in a country that hates us

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

Hank6046
01-13-22, 11:32
I can't wait till we leave a pile of these in a country that hates us

Well said

SteyrAUG
01-13-22, 11:55
“This is a rare opportunity for passionate consumers to own a piece of history,” began Ron Cohen.

And with that sentence, I lost all interest.

utahjeepr
01-13-22, 14:02
Yeah,... no thanks.

okie
01-13-22, 15:08
The AR15 was revolutionary because it solved one of the two biggest problems with gas driven semi autos, which is carrier tilt, which is the source of a lot of mechanical issues with other semi autos. And of course it reduced the number of parts, made it lighter, and, as fortune would have it, made silencers more practical.

The charging handle was also pretty revolutionary, because it got it completely out of the way, and made it no longer necessary to put slots in the receiver, which is a big deal for lightening the receiver while maintaining integrity and precision. I love the double charging handle, that's the icing on the cake. It's like let's make the AR's charging handle completely pointless by adding another one, but then we'll keep the old one still anyways, even though all of its advantages are now gone. Brilliant!

And those are the two things that really made the AR great, and ironically are the two things that everybody who doesn't know any better wants to change! It's freaking pathological. It's like, "me make AR more better piston good! Piston better because AK better, now AR like AK."

Freaking moths to the flame. Taking what is hands down the best assault rifle ever made, and turning it into an AR like gun that's nothing more than dressed up 1940s tech. The AR is to this monstrosity what the AK was to the M1 in the 40s.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-13-22, 15:21
So it’s a piston AR-10, with a JP side charging handle?

I thought AR10/SCAR-H just don’t work for the field? I’d rather have the Marines new super M4ish.

okie
01-13-22, 16:05

I thought AR10/SCAR-H just don’t work for the field? I’d rather have the Marines new super M4ish.

:lol:

It's funny because it's true!

Slater
01-13-22, 16:15
277 Fury is 6.8x51mm, IIRC. Some folks say they should have just added another 0.2mm and made it a 7mm weapon.

markm
01-13-22, 16:49

The proprietary caliber is the cherry on top.

In 5 years, we won't remember this thread or this gun. (if someone bumps this in 5 years, and it's a success, I'll eat a bug.)

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-13-22, 16:56
Taking these 308-based cartridges and necking them down might’ve worked in the 1950s or 60s as an advancement. Now it’s just pretty pathetic that were screwing around with a 10th of a millimeter here and a 10th of a millimeter there. Better is better, but how much better are we really talking about? I’d rather see them go with the 6arc than screw around with the heavy 51 mm cartridges.

I guess maybe I’m ignorant, but what does this really do compared to my LMTMWS in 65 Creedmoor? Yeah yeah piston I know.

Yay, new gun, new cartridge. Next.

6.8ammo? I don’t like to run my LMT MWS because 7.62N is so expensive. This ammo? Hell, you are going to be like the 10mm pistol assholes trying to catch their brass in mid air so that they can reload it.

01-13-22, 16:59
I get going with 6.8mm during spc development, 6.5mm flies flatter, 7mm had better terminal energy so they split the difference in being confined to ar15 size. Why they stuck with 6.8 for this project I don't understand.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

AKDoug
01-13-22, 17:28
277 Fury is 6.8x51mm, IIRC. Some folks say they should have just added another 0.2mm and made it a 7mm weapon.

.2mm and it's basically a 7mm-08

KUSA
01-13-22, 18:11

They should have just made a .308 Fury.

Slater
01-13-22, 18:29
The military 277 Fury is billed as having a chamber pressure of 80,000 PSI. I'm guessing that civilian variants will be somewhat less? Supposedly SIG manages this with their hybrid stainless steel/brass cartridge case.

SteyrAUG
01-13-22, 18:56

I bet there were at least 100 focus groups to come up with that name. Who wants a 7mm, sounds like a deer rifle, when you can have a 277 FURY.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-13-22, 20:00
$8k….

nate89
01-13-22, 21:21
I can't wait for the gen 2, 3, 4, and 5 of this after the inevitable recall that the beta tester customers find.

AKDoug
01-13-22, 21:23
I can't wait for the gen 2, 3, 4, and 5 of this after the inevitable recall that the beta tester customers find.

Is it drop safe?

Honu
01-13-22, 21:27
Yup as long as you are behind it you will be just fine :)

Is it drop safe?

mark5pt56
01-14-22, 06:39
“This is a rare opportunity for passionate consumers to own a piece of history,” began Ron Cohen.

And with that sentence, I lost all interest.

Meaning, they are selling what's made because they won't get the contract?

01-14-22, 07:11
Meaning, they are selling what's made because they won't get the contract?They did manage to get the pistol contract and optic, wouldn't be surprising if they got this to.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Slater
01-14-22, 07:24
Supposedly Textron has dropped out of the running, leaving SIG and Lonestar Future Weapons in the contest. Lonestar's entry appears to be a bullpup, which the US Army historically hasn't been all that keen on. Just speculation here, but since SIG is a major established manufacturer (having recently delivered around 240,000 716i's to the Indian military) and Lonestar is a bit more obscure, the Army may feel a little more comfortable going with SIG.

https://i.imgur.com/KUipIe4l.jpg

okie
01-14-22, 11:56
Supposedly Textron has dropped out of the running, leaving SIG and Lonestar Future Weapons in the contest. Lonestar's entry appears to be a bullpup, which the US Army historically hasn't been all that keen on. Just speculation here, but since SIG is a major established manufacturer (having recently delivered around 240,000 716i's to the Indian military) and Lonestar is a bit more obscure, the Army may feel a little more comfortable going with SIG.

https://i.imgur.com/KUipIe4l.jpg

Do they really have to go with any of them, though? It seems like this competition thing happens like every 10 years, and yet we still have the M16.

Slater
01-14-22, 12:03
I guess it depends if any measurable improvement is worth the investment. Re-equipping the Army (and presumably, the other services eventually) with new weapons, ammunition, spare parts/logistics system, training, etc. is going to be an expensive proposition.

If you look at it from the perspective of, say, the F-35 then it's a drop in the bucket.

lowprone
01-14-22, 12:37
If this or any new improved super cuck weapon system is really used it will be against millions of Chinese or
hundreds of thousands of Russians.
LOL !

utahjeepr
01-14-22, 13:37
My belief is that this is largely an intellectual /R&D excercise. Throw some $$$ and competition out in the world and see what comes of it. Keeps the creativity and innovation going and it could inspire something truly worthwhile.

That said, I don't think a 6.8-08 hotrod is it.

"I wanna hump more weight and less ammo!", said no infantryman ever.

pinzgauer
01-14-22, 14:30
The proprietary caliber is the cherry on top.

In 5 years, we won't remember this thread or this gun. (if someone bumps this in 5 years, and it's a success, I'll eat a bug.)Doubly true because it's just their submission, not the final next generation SAW.

The thread title should really reflect it's just sig's submission

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-14-22, 14:33
My belief is that this is largely an intellectual /R&D excercise. Throw some $$$ and competition out in the world and see what comes of it. Keeps the creativity and innovation going and it could inspire something truly worthwhile.

That said, I don't think a 6.8-08 hotrod is it.

"I wanna hump more weight and less ammo!", said no infantryman ever.

Exactly, wasn’t that the lesson from the SCAR-H lesson in Afghanistan?

I’m all for the DOD switching to the 6.8-08, but only if they put all the 762N on the city market at low-low prices.

$20 mill ante? Hell, the gov was going to give $1,000 million ($1B) to the illegals that dumped their kids here.

jwfuhrman
01-14-22, 15:17

I’m all for the DOD switching to the 6.8-08, but only if they put all the 762N on the city market at low-low prices.

$20 mill ante? Hell, the gov was going to give $1,000 million ($1B) to the illegals that dumped their kids here.

Same with all the 5.56 left in inventory. If they would flood the civilian market with millions of rounds, prices would be the lowest we've seen in a decade AND the Army would help fund this new thing.

SteyrAUG
01-14-22, 16:08
Same with all the 5.56 left in inventory. If they would flood the civilian market with millions of rounds, prices would be the lowest we've seen in a decade AND the Army would help fund this new thing.

Sorry Bill Clinton passed a law that prevented US military surplus from being sold on the commercial market. That is why when Pmags started becoming standard inventory the military didn't dump all those USGI mags for $2 like the Germans did when they switched from the G3.

It is also why you will never see US military surplus ammo of any caliber. They will dump it in the ocean before they ever let it onto the secondary market.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-14-22, 19:33
Or leave it in some Third World shit hole country on the way out….

Averageman
01-14-22, 19:51
Ive owned two SIG USA made carbines, each lasted about two weeks including shipping.

RUTGERS95
01-14-22, 23:13

up for 762 at low prices!