PDA

View Full Version : are good QD mounts really repeatable

mattjmcd
12-15-08, 11:35
with minimal (if any) loss of zero? Can I really expect to pop the ACOG off of a rifle and then put it back on and get hits?

I've used various QD mounts and never had occasion to put this to the test. What has been your experience, especially with LT QD mounts for the ACOG?

Parabellum9x19mm
12-15-08, 15:07
LT? yes

matthewdanger
12-15-08, 16:10
LaRue Tactical will repeat zero.

I sent an ACOG TA33R-8 back to Trijicon for repair with the LT mount still attached. The ACOG made the trip there, was serviced, and then made the return trip. When it returned home I dropped it back on my rifle and headed to the range. The first shot hit a 6" steel at 200 yards. Then I put it on paper and sure enough it was dead on.

Everyone of my five rifles with optics have a LaRue mount because of experiences like the one above.

FJB
12-15-08, 16:49
Repeatablity of the optic is tied to the mount, but is also an aspect of the optic as well. Bottomline is that LT mounts definitely return to zero. Go to www.downrange.tv/show2 and watch video clips Part 2 & 3 to see this demonstrated.

S/F

uscbigdawg
12-15-08, 22:50
Larue Tactical and GG&G will. These I know from experience. It does help too though when using quality optics.

Rich

MisterWilson
12-15-08, 22:53
Just follow the LT instructions, it should be hard to get on, harder to get off, but not require tools. Anything less than that and I've noticed some play in it's grab on the receiver.

(not necessarily enough to worry about, but *some* play)

Dave_M
12-16-08, 00:18
As others have stated, LT mounts will indeed return to zero.

mattjmcd
12-16-08, 00:45
cool. thx

Iraqgunz
12-16-08, 04:02
I have an ACOG mounted on a GG&G Accucam and it definitely stays on target. I have removed it several times from my carbine during cleaning and it always seems to be back on track as long as I put it back where it came from.

Failure2Stop
12-16-08, 05:04
Some time ago I wound up in a position where someone was concerned about LaRue QDs wearing rails. After much input from industry I received several calls and e-mails from professional users attesting to their QD and reattach ability. Included were pictures from Mark from a test where an optic was mounted and removed for each shot for something in the ballpark of 100 shots. There was nothing but a jagged hole in the paper. While it certainly speaks volumes for the shooter and weapon, it also speaks of the reliability of the mount.

Since then I have personally used LaRue mounts on personal weapons and while I prefer not to remove optics unless absolutely necessary (I'm old-school :rolleyes:) every time I have they have returned to zero.

I am not saying that LaRue is the only manufacturer whose mounts return to zero, just that I have great faith in it doing so whereas some other mounting solutions are more of a "within 1 MOA" proposition, and others are worse.

So, yes, good QD mounts are repeatable.

SingleStacker45
12-16-08, 06:39
I've had good luck with my american defense mount on my weaver 1-4. It returns to within half minute or better. I think it is related to how you put it on the rifle as far as cam tension and position in the slots. Consistancy helps.

Mule

Frens
12-16-08, 06:57
the ADM mount for my little Compact ACOG mantains zero just fine :)

Robb Jensen
12-16-08, 07:41
Most decent (not ARMS) throw lever mounts have very little shift in zero. Quality mounts include LaRue, ADM, Bobro. If adjusted properly the LaRue and ADM work about equal. One nice thing about the Bobro mounts is that they are truly plug and play. The mount adjusts itself to the rail (no tools are needed to adjust anything for the mount to fit on your gun). All the end user/armorer has to do is mount the optic to the mount.

I find that the above three brands of mounts shift less than about 1/4" MOA or so and if you're using an Aimpoint or EOTech or low powered variable scope it's very likely that you can't shoot well enough to even notice. The amount of shift is smaller than the width of the reticle and smaller than the consistency of the accuracy of the ammo used.

Like Failure2Stop I'm also old school and believe that optics really shouldn't be removed/reinstalled without expecting some shift in zero. Again on an Aimpoint or EOTech or low powered variable scope equipped gun I don't worry about it in the least. I have the new Bobro 30mm scope mount which I'm currently T&E'ing on my 3gun rifle. After a few months on it I'll also try it on my wifes .50cal AR50 and try and shoot it out to 1200yds, I'll shoot 10 rounds, remove the scope from the rifle, remount it and try it again for 10 rounds. Her rifle has a 12-42x 56mm Nightforce on it currently in a LaRue SPR 30mm mount that works great but I haven't tested it for zero shift. I've used this scope to test shift on other rifles, usually running the Nightforce at 22x or higher to see the shift.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/Bobro82.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/Bobro72.jpg

Iraqgunz
12-16-08, 08:17
Robb,

I am not going to lie. That mount looks pimp. I may buy one just to test out when I go home for good.

mmike87
12-16-08, 10:34
That mount does look pretty sharp. Not that looks are important, but if the quality is there and the price is right, then looking good is certainly not a bad thing.

Parabellum9x19mm
12-16-08, 23:14
who makes the extended control for the variable mag? that's great. even faster than an aimpoint 3x in a LT mount!!!