PDA

View Full Version : Volcanic Eruption May Be Biggest Ever Seen From Space

titsonritz
01-16-22, 01:55
In the last 24 hours we've seen a huge explosive volcanic from the Tongan island of Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai - the blast is so large it's easily visible from multiple satellites in geostationary orbit, tens of thousands of miles up. The blast sent a soundwave around the world which is still being measured and the resulting tsunami caused flooding around the pacific ocean.

Santa Cruz gets a tsunami actions, with high waves all over the West Coast.

Japan Faces Three Meter High Tsunami Threat After Undersea Volcano Eruption In South Pacific (zerohedge.com/weather/undersea-volcano-eruption-triggers-massive-shockwave-tsunami-strikes-south-pacific-island)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoMRwyNhqJ4

SteyrAUG
01-16-22, 03:48
Growing up in the 80s the news would have told us about the eruption and we'd have seen some "12 hours after the fact" footage and been "Meh...no biggie."

To actually see the event and the related scale...holy crap.

utahjeepr
01-16-22, 08:17
The imagery is awesome. I have only seen one estimate of VEI scale putting it at a tentative "4" which, though big, still makes it a bit of a minor geological fart.

All told though, it probably released twice the greenhouse gasses and particulates as all of mankind's industrial history.

chuckman
01-16-22, 08:19
That video was just amazing. Why do we need to worry about us killing each other when the earth can do it so much easier?

I also saw the videos of the tsunamis in Tonga and some of the other islands. Feel bad for them.

Grand58742
01-16-22, 08:58
Here's a little more about the eruption if anyone's interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B54HbfqDbK4&ab_channel=GeologyHub

davidjinks
01-16-22, 11:19
That was huge! I watched some of the time lapse photos from, I think NOAA, and I can’t even imagine the amount of energy that that created.

AKDoug
01-16-22, 12:35
The sound waves were loud enough to be heard 100 miles inland where I am at in Alaska.

TheGhostRider
01-16-22, 20:08
Here's a little more about the eruption if anyone's interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B54HbfqDbK4&ab_channel=GeologyHub

Thank you for posting the vid. Makes Mount St. Helens look like a walk in the park. When old Yellowstone pops its gonna be epic... Makes me understand just how fragile and insignificant man really is.

Arguing with Mother Nature:
Me: I've got an AK/AR and a couple hundred rounds of ammo and a really sharp knife and the experience to use them!
Mother Nature: "Oh really... I've got Volcano's, Tsunami's, Tornado's, Earthquakes, Landslides, FIRE, Wind, Floods, pests... Oh... did I mention the Volcano's?

utahjeepr
01-16-22, 20:28
Actually Mt. St. Helens was a little bigger (5 vs 4).

If one watches the common video of St. Helens it doesn't look as impressive before the camera gets wiped out, but it was pretty devastating. I have a Polaroid I took from about 30,000ft a week after. It's a color pic, but you'd swear it was B/W.

RUTGERS95
01-16-22, 20:35
mt st helens info, pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCtmECVnrOM

Disciple
01-16-22, 22:11
I have a Polaroid I took from about 30,000ft a week after. It's a color pic, but you'd swear it was B/W.

I would like to see that.

utahjeepr
01-16-22, 22:21
I would like to see that.

How do I upload a Polaroid? ;)

I'll see if I can dig it out and take a decent pic of it.

SteyrAUG
01-16-22, 22:29

If one watches the common video of St. Helens it doesn't look as impressive before the camera gets wiped out, but it was pretty devastating. I have a Polaroid I took from about 30,000ft a week after. It's a color pic, but you'd swear it was B/W.

Mt St Helens was a BFD, I still remember that one. Poor ****ing camping family in a station wagon trying to outrun it. Old timer with his cats got his wish.

titsonritz
01-16-22, 22:35
Mt St Helens was a BFD, I still remember that one. Poor ****ing camping family in a station wagon trying to outrun it. Old timer with his cats got his wish.

I still have a couple vials of ash from it.

Seeing that ash plume and shock wave from this one is mind boggling.

Grand58742
01-17-22, 05:55

Still though, a 4 can cause some weather changes depending on how much outgassing it produces. We'll have to see how much this one does in the long run.

utahjeepr
01-17-22, 10:47
Still though, a 4 can cause some weather changes depending on how much outgassing it produces. We'll have to see how much this one does in the long run.

Absolutely! Wasn't meaning to diminish it. The various footage available is incredible. And a 4 might as well be 4 million if it happens nearby. Some folks around here are frantic to get ahold of friends and family in Tonga. Lots of Polynesians in UT.

Side question. Anyone know a good way to digitize polaroids? All I'm getting from taking pics my old shots of St Helens looks like crap.

robbins290
01-17-22, 12:40
Absolutely! Wasn't meaning to diminish it. The various footage available is incredible. And a 4 might as well be 4 million if it happens nearby. Some folks around here are frantic to get ahold of friends and family in Tonga. Lots of Polynesians in UT.

Side question. Anyone know a good way to digitize polaroids? All I'm getting from taking pics my old shots of St Helens looks like crap.

I use a cheaper scanner from walmart. Think its a HP envy 5505. I scan all my firearm related stuff with it, Works good with photo's if you crank up the resolution.

georgeib
01-17-22, 13:25

I use a cheaper scanner from walmart. Think its a HP envy 5505. I scan all my firearm related stuff with it, Works good with photo's if you crank up the resolution.

You could also just get it scanned for a couple bucks at a UPS Store or Fedex Office.

markm
01-17-22, 14:27
I'm surprised "they" haven't blamed the eruption on Global warming or some crap.

utahjeepr
01-17-22, 18:17
I'm surprised "they" haven't blamed the eruption on Global warming or some crap.

"Well, like, a warmer atmosphere is less dense. So, like, it's easier for the volcano to push out! Like, OMG, how do you not know this. It's SCIENCE!" -AOC

Jk ;)