PDA

View Full Version : Man...I Had Completely Forgotten What A Horribly Bad Film "Raw Deal" (1986) Is...

SteyrAUG
01-17-22, 00:31
I should preface this by stating I love cheesy 80s action flicks and crap like Commando (also Arnold) is completely enjoyable. I can watch Predator, They Live and a ton of other seriously B films.

But even among the genre, this one isn't even ironically funny enough for the MST3K crowd, it's just tough to get through. But the iconography and the 80s firearms will draw you in.

https://i.imgur.com/UCPbdEG.jpg

Won't even get into the plot, acting, etc. They are shockingly bad, and Arnold had already done Terminator so there was no excuse. Simply, nobody cared...nobody really tried.

So onto the guns and horribly bad gun handling. Arnold breaks out the windshield of a convertible so he can do a "drive by" assault on a mafia construction site. While handgunning a HK94 chopped with an E&L vented barrel shroud he scores hits on guys over 50 yards away on top of cranes and hills while everyone misses even though they are all stationary and firing M16A1s.

https://i.imgur.com/HJBbyMl.jpg

It mostly gets worse from there. He enters a building with approx. 50 mafia hitmen and takes them all out Terminator style while never getting hit. Shockingly enough he does several magazine changes throughout the running gunfight. M16s miss at 20 feet, Uzis jam and of course handguns can't hit anything...least of all a big f'ing guy like Arnold inside the room with 20+ shooters.

https://i.imgur.com/scwtZcP.jpg

The wide variety of 80s guns will make you think you want to see this movie, but don't say I didn't warn you. Commando is like "Heat" compared to this POS.

titsonritz
01-17-22, 00:55
I remember that rock pit scene in the convertible with the HK94, no a whole lot more. I probably have it, I'll have to dig it up.

SteyrAUG
01-17-22, 03:00
I don't say this very often, but you could have swapped out Sho Kosugi as a "betrayed ninja" rather than Arnold as a "betrayed FBI agent" and probably gotten a better film.

pag23
01-17-22, 04:17
The convertible Buick Rivera stole the show.....

Slater
01-17-22, 07:56
I saw "Raw Deal" in the theatre. Haven't seen it since then, not even on TV reruns. And I've watched a lot of forgotten 1980's fare.

chuckman
01-17-22, 08:39
"Predator" a B film!? Sir, I virtually slap you with a leather glove and challenge you to a duel!

El Vaquero
01-17-22, 09:06
Raw Deal is worse than Commando and right up there with Red Sonja. Sly was putting out equally bad flicks like Cobra.

Maybe the screen writers were on strike, lol. Those were some awful movies.

markm
01-17-22, 09:22
80s stuff was SO BAD. Watch an episode of the Dukes of Hazzard. SO RETARDED.... And I used to love that as a kid.

dpb1776
01-17-22, 09:54
I just remember the horrible sound effects from that movie. I actually liked Cobra but I can't really give you an honest reason why if you asked. Red Sonja was a total turd that was so awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUTGERS95
01-17-22, 11:04
commando may be the best of the A-/B films ever!

RUTGERS95
01-17-22, 11:06
Raw Deal is worse than Commando and right up there with Red Sonja. Sly was putting out equally bad flicks like Cobra.

Cobra was full on retardedly bad!

markm
01-17-22, 11:49
Cobra was full on retardedly bad!

Uncomfortable to watch. Beyond a parody of cheesy action films.

tehpwnag3
01-17-22, 12:20
This. My entire wasted young was PREDicated on this blockbuster! Slap seconded!

(Bad use of the word but the pun had to be made!)

"Predator" a B film!? Sir, I virtually slap you with a leather glove and challenge you to a duel!

WillBrink
01-17-22, 14:51
I should preface this by stating I love cheesy 80s action flicks and crap like Commando (also Arnold) is completely enjoyable. I can watch Predator, They Live and a ton of other seriously B films.

But even among the genre, this one isn't even ironically funny enough for the MST3K crowd, it's just tough to get through. But the iconography and the 80s firearms will draw you in.

https://i.imgur.com/UCPbdEG.jpg

Won't even get into the plot, acting, etc. They are shockingly bad, and Arnold had already done Terminator so there was no excuse. Simply, nobody cared...nobody really tried.

Hardly even remembered that one. He made some really terrible movies and some fun movies too. Running Man, Last Action Hero, Eraser , End of Days , Collateral Damage , etc, all really not a good movies either. I think he had more hits than misses, but plenty of bad movies. I also find people like to lament about the "good old days" of movies, and forget there was not lack of truly crappy movies 60s, 70s, 80s, that far exceed the classics we all love and remember.

Some Arnold movies were great, and aged well and I can watch Predator over and over...

joe138
01-17-22, 15:39
I hate to say it, but Charles Bronson had some real losers at the end of his career. Like 10-Midnight and Death Wish 3, 4 and 5.

Slater
01-17-22, 15:51
Some guys turned "Commando" into a drinking game. Take a drink every time Arnie kills someone.

fred
01-17-22, 15:56
"You should not drink and bake"

SteyrAUG
01-17-22, 17:00

Recently watched Cobra, it was actually better than I remember. Ironically it's actually an early version of the film "Fair Game" which starred Cindy Crawford. The psycho rape / murder cult was a bit much and not trying to say it was a great movie, just remembered it as pretty terrible.

The atrocious gun handling, the cheesy one liners...it was a B+. I enjoyed it and it was the best Arnold film since Terminator up to that time, but not an A film.

SteyrAUG
01-17-22, 17:07
I hate to say it, but Charles Bronson had some real losers at the end of his career. Like 10-Midnight and Death Wish 3, 4 and 5.

I love 10 to Midnight. Early onscreen depictions of Jody Samson custom balisong. Even with the Richard Speck overtones I thought it was a fun film.

I can also do Death Wish 3, 4 and 5 even though they are really bad. The gang members in 3 were almost as laughable as the ones in "The Warriors" (1979). Of course with Golan / Globus - Canon Films driving...this movie might go anywhere.

I thought Death Wish 2 was pretty good even though it was a long way from the original.

HKGuns
01-17-22, 22:17
I watched one from this same period over the weekend and was surprised I didn’t remember it but liked it.

Overboard with Kurt Russel and Goldie. Pleasantly surprised.

SteyrAUG
01-18-22, 00:00
I watched one from this same period over the weekend and was surprised I didn’t remember it but liked it.

Overboard with Kurt Russel and Goldie. Pleasantly surprised.

Actually a good film (albeit sorta a chick flick), genuinely funny and Goldie is pretty hot. I do think Russell was sort of showing off considering Hawn was actually his wife.

Jellybean
01-18-22, 00:36

You heretic.
Death Wish 3 is an 80s gem.
The "giggler", the teeth springboard trap, the LAW in the living room, zip guns, hosing baddies barehanded with a 1919... It's really got it all.... :dirol:

SteyrAUG
01-18-22, 04:01
You heretic.
The "giggler", the teeth springboard trap, the LAW in the living room, zip guns, hosing baddies barehanded with a 1919... It's really got it all.... :dirol:

The stashed guns reminds me of another 80s gem, The Park Is Mine.

Slater
01-18-22, 08:28
A 1980's TV movie called "LA Takedown" was the template for the later "Heat". In fact, some of the dialog was line-for line.

utahjeepr
01-18-22, 09:37
I just remember the horrible sound effects from that movie. I actually liked Cobra but I can't really give you an honest reason why if you asked. Red Sonja was a total turd that was so awful.

I remember absolutely nothing about Red Sonja except Brigitte. My teenage self gives it 11 stars out of 5.

dpb1776
01-18-22, 09:45
I remember absolutely nothing about Red Sonja except Brigitte. My teenage self gives it 11 stars out of 5.

Yeah I saw it when I was young. I probably should have left it at that. But made the mistake of watching it a few years ago, it was so bad I couldn’t look away

Five_Point_Five_Six
01-18-22, 10:10
A 1980's TV movie called "LA Takedown" was the template for the later "Heat". In fact, some of the dialog was line-for line.

If you compare it to Heat, then I agree it's not a great movie.

But if you look at it for what it was, an 80s made for tv action movie when most made for tv movies were romances, it's pretty good. I actually own a very hard to find copy of it on DVD.

Tanner
01-18-22, 10:53
Going to the movies in the late 70's /80's can't recall any of the outstanding films, mostly mindless entertainment. Mostly just for fun and good times with friends.

Shane1
01-18-22, 11:25
You heretic.

Dont forget Mirina Sirtis (?) topless scene

Shane1
01-18-22, 11:26

Michael Mann directed both.

RUTGERS95
01-18-22, 12:16
Actually a good film (albeit sorta a chick flick), genuinely funny and Goldie is pretty hot. I do think Russell was sort of showing off considering Hawn was actually his wife.

wildcats! another Goldie classic 80s film. Loved Goldie, especially when she was younger in the 70s. very cute

SteyrAUG
01-18-22, 17:36
wildcats! another Goldie classic 80s film. Loved Goldie, especially when she was younger in the 70s. very cute

Honestly, young Goldie never moved me. It wasn't until Private Benjamin (1980) that I even noticed she was hot. At that point she was 35 years old. Similarly Suzanne Somers didn't really got smoking hot until her mid 30s.

SteyrAUG
01-18-22, 17:40
If you compare it to Heat, then I agree it's not a great movie.

But if you look at it for what it was, an 80s made for tv action movie when most made for tv movies were romances, it's pretty good. I actually own a very hard to find copy of it on DVD.

Even more interesting, Mann did the 1986 crime drama "Crime Story" to build on the success of Miami Vice but was set in Chicago 1963 and more than a few plot points were borrowed for Heat. I was watching an episode the other night and Dennis Farina comes home to find a man with his wife and drops the line "You can date my wife...you can sit in her apartment...but you CANNOT watch my TV" at which point he takes it with him, loads it into his car and then later kicks it onto the street.

I think one of the obvious reasons Heat was so brilliant is Mann had a lot of practice runs.

SteyrAUG
01-18-22, 17:53
Going to the movies in the late 70's /80's can't recall any of the outstanding films, mostly mindless entertainment. Mostly just for fun and good times with friends.

Alien / Aliens
To Live and Die in LA
Full Metal Jacket
Scarface
The Hunger
Risky Business
Once Upon A Time In America
The Terminator
48 Hours
Police Academy
Dressed To Kill

It's a bit like music, the crap outnumbers to good by more than a little bit, but the good stuff is there if you take the time to remember. And obviously if you went to the movies every weekend with your friends, like I did, you end up seeing a LOT of movies that weren't meant to be brilliant...along with a lot of crap.

One of the most fun movies I remember seeing was DC Cab. I was with my friends and we laughed our asses off through it. Saw it later a couple decades after and it wasn't a really great movie. By contrast Back to the Future was much funnier, holds up better and was in all ways a superior movie and while we liked it, it wasn't popcorn flying funny when we first saw it, but DC Cab was.

titsonritz
01-18-22, 19:13
The stashed guns reminds me of another 80s gem, The Park Is Mine.

I just watched that the other day.

chuckman
01-18-22, 19:21
Alien / Aliens
To Live and Die in LA
Full Metal Jacket
Scarface
The Hunger
Risky Business
The Terminator
48 Hours
Police Academy
Dressed To Kill

It's a bit like music, the crap outnumbers to good by more than a little bit, but the good stuff is there if you take the time to remember. And obviously if you went to the movies every weekend with your friends, like I did, you end up seeing a LOT of movies that weren't meant to be brilliant...along with a lot of crap.

One of the most fun movies I remember seeing was DC Cab. I was with my friends and we laughed our asses off through it. Saw it later a couple decades after and it wasn't a really great movie. By contrast Back to the Future was much funnier, holds up better and was in all ways a superior movie and while we liked it, it wasn't popcorn flying funny when we first saw it, but DC Cab was.

Add Stripes, Caddy Shack, Animal House, Airplane!, Naked Gun, All the Dirty Harry flicks, Serpico, Cab Driver, Star Wars, Close Encounters....

drsal
01-18-22, 19:53
Full Metal Jacket, Scarface, To Live & Die In LA......THOSE were outstanding films, among others of which I also can't seem to recall :-(

jsbhike
01-19-22, 20:15
This one was funny when I was about 10 years old.

https://youtu.be/JCqpot2UKME

titsonritz
01-19-22, 22:10
Here you go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvWySqI9uN4

RUTGERS95
01-20-22, 13:09
Alien / Aliens
To Live and Die in LA
Full Metal Jacket
Scarface
The Hunger
Risky Business
The Terminator
48 Hours
Police Academy
Dressed To Kill

can't forget Red Dawn! Not a terribly great movie but a GREAT movie lol

SteyrAUG
01-20-22, 16:45
can't forget Red Dawn! Not a terribly great movie but a GREAT movie lol

Wasn't meant to be a definitive list at all. Just some off the top of my head.

RUTGERS95
01-20-22, 16:54
Wasn't meant to be a definitive list at all. Just some off the top of my head.

no doubt but that should come off the top of your head lol Wolverines!!!!!! ha

SteyrAUG
01-20-22, 21:59
no doubt but that should come off the top of your head lol Wolverines!!!!!! ha

Good movie, but I was trying to throw A list films out there. Of course WE all loved it.

utahjeepr
01-21-22, 14:04
I could go on all day and still miss some.

Platoon
Untouchables
Lethal Weapon
Road Warrior
First Blood
Raiders
Fast Times
Caddy shack
Bladerunner
Good Morning Vietnam
Princess Bride
Bull Durham