PDA

View Full Version : New Streamlight TLR-1 w/C4 LED Pictorial Review

decodeddiesel
12-15-08, 17:15
I posted this on Waltherforums.com since the TLR-1 is literally the only light on the market with provisions to fit the P99 and got virtually zero traffic so I figured I would re-post here so here goes...

About 3 weeks ago I got home from work one day and discovered a package from Midway waiting for me on my door step. It containing a new Streamlight TLR-1 for my P99. This is the new C4 LED model which just hit the market a couple months ago. Coming from a die hard Surefire junkie (I own an X200A, E2D, M600B, M600C, 6P, and G2) this light is damn impressive, WAY better than the old model.

Here are some specs:

* Powered by two 3-volt CR123 lithium batteries with 10-year storage life
* C4 LED technology, impervious to shock with a 50,000 hour lifetime
* LED Rating: Up to 7,000 candela peak beam intensity and up to 135 lumens measured system output. Deep-dish parabolic reflector produces a concentrated beam with optimum peripheral illumination
* Run Time: 2.5 hours regulated run time. Solid-state current regulation for consistent illumination level.
* Rail grip clamp system securely attaches/detaches quickly and safely with no tools and without putting your hands in front of muzzle
* Mounts directly to handguns with Glock-style rails and to all MIL-STD-1913 (Picatinny) rails.
* Includes keys for Glock-style, Picatinny, Beretta 90two, S&W 99 and S&W TSW
* Machined aluminum sealed construction with black anodized finsih
* Waterproof to one meter for one hour, dustproof
* Ambidextrous momentary/steady on/off switch
* Highly accurate sight repeatability when remounting
* Fits existing light bearing holsters
* 4.18 oz.
* Lithium Battery Notice under TECH DOCS
* IPX7 rated design; waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes.
* MIL-SPEC 810F Performance Tested

Compared to my X200A this light is brighter and has more "splash". I would say it's a direct comparison to an X300. Previously I had compared an X300 and an old TRL-1 and was not impressed. I am glad to say this light has surpassed my expectations and it was a great deal at around $100. I would not hesitate to purchase and use this light on your P99. Obviously i have not put any rounds downrange with this light so far (I now have in low light, and it's awesome), but given the overwhelmingly positive reviews the older version this light has received, I am not worried about it's durability. So, enough of the talk and onto the pics...

ETA (5/14/2009): I have fired about 700 rounds of various 9mm with the light attached to my P99. No problems to speak of other than a large amount of carbon build up on the light. I think this would be an issue with any light where the lens hangs out so far past the end of the barrel. I little scraping with some sharp plastic and it comes right off. I also conducted some 1 meter drop tests onto concrete at my work (we have a drop test rig for testing explosives packaging). 3 tests and no issues.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/decodeddiesel/11-26-08P99TLR1015.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/decodeddiesel/11-26-08P99TLR1018.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/decodeddiesel/11-26-08P99TLR1019.jpg

The packaging was kind of goofy and Chi-com'ish IMHO, but the light it's self is Aluminum and very very well built and impressive.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/decodeddiesel/11-26-08P99TLR1021.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/decodeddiesel/11-26-08P99TLR1022.jpg

Here are the contents and the P99 specific mounting "key". Note they included spares of just about all of the mounting hardware, and used a dab of Loctite on the bolts.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/decodeddiesel/11-26-08P99TLR1024.jpg

I liked that once I had the right "key" all I needed to mount and dismount the light was a coin (I used a penny)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/decodeddiesel/11-26-08P99TLR1034.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/decodeddiesel/11-26-08P99TLR1030.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/decodeddiesel/11-26-08P99TLR1026.jpg

You can see the beam pattern is crisp and sharp. The "hot spot" is very bright and gives great "spill" and "throw". I will do a side by side between this light, my X200A, and my M600C tonight maybe, but it is very nice for the money. I would say it's a direct competitor to the X300 and costs less than half as much. Obviously some long term, real world abuse is necessary, however I have seen plenty of HSLD types using the old TLR-1s without complaint which leads me to believe this new one is up to the task. For right around $100 from Midway this light is great!

ETA (12-24-2008): After playing around with this light for a few months, I can say I firmly like this light just as much as my X200A for one reason. The momentary rocker switch. The TLR-1 has a momentary ON when you hit it with your support thumb which allows "strobe'ing" and momentary on. I still think it is a little easier to use than the Surefire, but AD is more of an issue. The Surefire push forward momentary is still very nice and probably easier to use. In the end it is user preference.

LOKNLOD
12-15-08, 18:31
Good review. I've got one of these on the way and planned to do a comparison with my old TLR-1...

MisterWilson
12-15-08, 19:38
Does it have a quick-release capability, or do you have to use a coin to remove it each time?

geezerbutler
12-15-08, 19:45
About 3 weeks ago I got home from work one day and discovered a package from Midway waiting for me on my door step.

Does this mean you weren't expecting it?:D

Thanks for the review.

I started seriously considering one when they added the LED. It looks like a winner.

decodeddiesel
12-15-08, 20:01
Does it have a quick-release capability, or do you have to use a coin to remove it each time?

I wish it had some sort of QD, but you do need to use a coin. Still though it take maybe 30 seconds to get it on or off.

decodeddiesel
12-15-08, 20:02
Does this mean you weren't expecting it?:D

Of course I was, but I didn't want to come off like some sort of flashlight geek :o

Seriously though, this light is really nice.

DamnYank!
12-20-08, 20:28
I recently put one on my AR and think its a very nice solution for the cost.

1SFG
12-20-08, 22:57
I have one of the older versions on one of my carry guns, a glock 19. It's a dedicated light for that weapon and only comes off when cleaning the weapon or changing out the batteries. Light works well enough for me and my purposes. I carry the combo in a Raven holster and I'm meeting my draw from concealment times nicely. A lot of people get hung up on the more gucci lights and in the case of Surefire the quality is obviously there. That said, for a weapon light, the TLR-1 is well built, shines bright enough for my intended purposes (illuminating targets constantly or momentarily in the dark) and can be had for $100 and sometimes less. A great value. May have to add a third one to my collection with this new LED offering.

Mike1515
12-24-08, 09:21
Thanks for the review. I've been seriously considering this light and a buddy of mine is looking for a light for his walther, so I'll be sure to forward your review to him.

--Mike1515

decodeddiesel
12-24-08, 09:30
Thanks for the review. I've been seriously considering this light and a buddy of mine is looking for a light for his walther, so I'll be sure to forward your review to him.

--Mike1515

No problem, glad I could help.

acrashb
02-06-09, 09:23
the TLR-1 is literally the only light on the market with provisions to fit the P99
Great light on a great gun. Question: have you found a kydex holster that will take the gun/light combo? Looks like neither blade-tech nor comp-tac (my usual suspects) have such a beast.

Kaos
02-06-09, 10:13
Weird they didnt use the TLR-2 mount for it which IS QD.

decodeddiesel
02-06-09, 10:44
Great light on a great gun. Question: have you found a kydex holster that will take the gun/light combo? Looks like neither blade-tech nor comp-tac (my usual suspects) have such a beast.

Unfortunately no, currently there's no Kydex holsters (or any holsters for that matter) available for the P99 with a light to my knowledge. I was trying to drum up some support for a Bladetech on Waltherforums with the hopes of getting enough interested people to get Bladetech to custom mold a holster but I got zero response.

Kaos
02-06-09, 11:29
Unfortunately no, currently there's no Kydex holsters (or any holsters for that matter) available for the P99 with a light to my knowledge. I was trying to drum up some support for a Bladetech on Waltherforums with the hopes of getting enough interested people to get Bladetech to custom mold a holster but I got zero response.

there's always custom kydex :)

RioGrandeGreen
02-06-09, 14:02
I have an older model TLR on my wife's home defense gun as well. I might have to get a new model just for the hell of it.

FWIW, We were issued a Surefire Z2 led combat light at work and also a Streamlight Scorpion C-4 led as an extra flaslight. Well after using both on duty on night shift, I have to say the Scorpion is brighter and throws the beam of light farther than the Z2. It also fits the Surefire holster, bevel down. At about $40.00 you can buy two for the price of one Z2.

Jerm
02-06-09, 14:42
Raven makes a Phantom LC(light compatible) kydex holster for the SW99.Wouldnt that work with the P99?

http://www.themalabarfront.com/product_info.php?products_id=1576

Good holsters.

decodeddiesel
02-06-09, 15:19
Raven makes a Phantom LC(light compatible) kydex holster for the SW99.Wouldnt that work with the P99?

http://www.themalabarfront.com/product_info.php?products_id=1576

Good holsters.

Hmmm...it might! I may have to order one and try it!

ETA: actually looking at it I think there may be an issue with the shape of the trigger guard and slide :(

Jerm
02-06-09, 15:33
oops...

I thought the dimensions were identical.

I think most of the retention with my M&P/X300 is with the light though.It may still be close enough to work well?

Might not hurt to contact them and ask.

firecop019
02-06-09, 17:21
We have these on our duty S&W M&P's and they are great. That LED light lights up a room pretty well on building searches.

Mark/MO
02-06-09, 17:41
Thanks for the great review. I want to get a light for my G-19 and was looking at the new TLR-1. Everything I've read so far has been positive.

I'm thinking I could also use it on my AR by changing the key, or at least that's the way I read it. Is there much to changing the key?

Palmguy
02-06-09, 18:34
Thanks for the great review. I want to get a light for my G-19 and was looking at the new TLR-1. Everything I've read so far has been positive.

I'm thinking I could also use it on my AR by changing the key, or at least that's the way I read it. Is there much to changing the key?

You use a hex key to remove a screw, pull the key out, put the new key in, and replace the screw. Should take less than a minute if you have the key and wrench handy.

m4fun
02-06-09, 18:48
I picked up a TRL-1 C4 LED new for a song last month. Here I get an advertisement for the new improved Gen 2 version: http://www.lapolicegear.com/streamlight-tlr1-weaponlight.html

Is the Gen 2 the same as the C4 LED or is there a Gen 1/Gen 2 of the C4 LED version?

lumpia
02-06-09, 19:15
I have one of these on my Glock 17 and it's a great light for the money. This thread makes me miss my old od P99...damn I should never have sold that gun.

LonghunterCO
02-06-09, 19:21
This looks like a must try item. Thanks for the review.

1SFG
02-06-09, 19:24
Took deliver of mine the other day, and it's definitely a step above the old model in terms of light output. I now have it mounted to my G19 and it is only removed for cleaning or training. For training I slap on the older generation model that's already had a couple thousand rounds fly over its head. I'm a fan of this light and I will be trying the new TLR-3 when they are released. If you haven't seen that light yet, it's essentially half the size of the TLR-1 - perfect for something like a G26.

davemcdonald
02-06-09, 20:19
The Rep that I talked to at SHOT said the quickest way to tell if you have an older TLR or a newer TLP with the Cree LED is that the bulb in the new ones are shaped like a stop sign.

I didn't care for the plastic body of the TLR3 but that opinion may change after shooting with one.

Dave

decodeddiesel
02-06-09, 20:56

No it's very easy and straight forward.

1SFG
02-06-09, 23:02
I'm looking at mine mounted to my G19 right now and it says S/N C4-xxxxxx right under the word streamlight on the port side of the light. My older model doesn't have the C4 designation, just S/N xxxxxx.

The Rep that I talked to at SHOT said the quickest way to tell if you have an older TLR or a newer TLP with the Cree LED is that the bulb in the new ones are shaped like a stop sign.

I didn't care for the plastic body of the TLR3 but that opinion may change after shooting with one.

Dave

Shihan
02-07-09, 03:33
Took deliver of mine the other day, and it's definitely a step above the old model in terms of light output. I now have it mounted to my G19 and it is only removed for cleaning or training. For training I slap on the older generation model that's already had a couple thousand rounds fly over its head. I'm a fan of this light and I will be trying the new TLR-3 when they are released. If you haven't seen that light yet, it's essentially half the size of the TLR-1 - perfect for something like a G26.

A link to info on the TLR-3?

Gentoo
02-07-09, 04:39
Thanks for the review. I ordered one based on the comments made here.

The Streamlight products that I have used in the past were very durable and well made, and tolerated an outrageous amount of abuse.

Parabellum9x19mm
02-07-09, 05:01
i have two Gen 1s TRLs

i picked up a C4 emitter model a couple months ago from Optics Planet. i'm loving it. it is a lot brighter. improved runtime is also a plus.

plan on buying another one soon...just so many other things i want to buy.

1SFG
02-07-09, 09:05
Shihan, Streamlight had it out at SHOT where I fondled it, but I haven't seen anything online about it other than two places that claim they have it for sale though I didn't see any pics on their pages. If they do indeed have it, or are planning on selling it, they appear to have the price at about $75. Light output looked to be pretty close to the TLR-1 with the overall unit being about half the size. IIRC, the unit runs on a single 123. Very light, very compact and decent light output. Would work great on any subcompact guns.

markm
02-07-09, 09:10
And since these are going for $79 at OMBexpress police supply, how can you go wrong? :cool:

m4fun
02-07-09, 09:41
Cool - thanks for the minor hijack of the thread. The LED is in the shape of a stopsign, the serial number starts with a CF, and it is way better than my old M3(I know) and it is WAY brighter than my G2 with LED(not being a total flashlight whore.)

Yea - I got it from, I hate to say, Botach for about $85. Wow.

Mark/MO
02-07-09, 15:27
And since these are going for $79 at OMBexpress police supply, how can you go wrong? :cool:

Looking at the thread I assume there is an older version and a newer version. Would the one at OMBExpress be the new one (if there is a new one of course)?
Sorry, I've not been into lights previously but after a night shoot recently I've had my eyes opened, so to speak.

markm
02-07-09, 16:55
Looking at the thread I assume there is an older version and a newer version. Would the one at OMBExpress be the new one (if there is a new one of course)?
Sorry, I've not been into lights previously but after a night shoot recently I've had my eyes opened, so to speak.

Innocent_bystander from TOS called OMB, and they told him their lights are the NEW version.

kgreen
02-11-09, 18:49

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=165#

kgreen
02-11-09, 18:50

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=165#

Looks like a slick little light.

decodeddiesel
02-11-09, 21:59
That does look slick. I think I may have to pick one up to try on my Walther.

Shihan
02-12-09, 23:34
Shihan, Streamlight had it out at SHOT where I fondled it, but I haven't seen anything online about it other than two places that claim they have it for sale though I didn't see any pics on their pages. If they do indeed have it, or are planning on selling it, they appear to have the price at about $75. Light output looked to be pretty close to the TLR-1 with the overall unit being about half the size. IIRC, the unit runs on a single 123. Very light, very compact and decent light output. Would work great on any subcompact guns.

Thanks.

Buckaroo
02-13-09, 08:06
From this (http://www.ombexpress.com/c_11/p_FL229.aspx) page at OMBexpress

C4 LED technology, impervious to shock with a 50,000 hour lifetime

They are showing backorder status at this time.

Buckaroo

Vic303
02-13-09, 08:15
Be advised that TLR-3 does NOT run on a CR123 battery. The Streamlight link shows it runs on a CR2 battery...

LonghunterCO
02-17-09, 20:42
After looking at these in-depth this seems to be the one to beat. I really like the stats on it. Does the batteries replace from the back requiring the light to be removed from the handgun? If so how easy is it to remove from the handgun?

-I am looking at the XTI-Procyon too.

THT
02-17-09, 21:12
From this (http://www.ombexpress.com/c_11/p_FL229.aspx) page at OMBexpress

They are showing backorder status at this time.

Buckaroo

In stock now according to their site.