PDA

View Full Version : Replace just barrel or entire upper?

neil0311
01-22-22, 15:10
First let me say that I’m not a DIY gunsmith. I can clean my firearms and do basic things like add optics, but that’s about it.

My first AR-15 was S&W M&P 15 Sport II. It was a good (relatively) cheap little starter gun before I branched out to more expensive rifles with chrome lined barrels, etc. The original S&W barrel is at the point where it probably needs replacement or will very soon.

Generally, assuming I would have to pay a gunsmith to do the work to change just a barrel, is it a better idea and just as cheap to buy an upper already assembled and be done? Buy it, ship it, and replace it.

What have other non-DIY folks done?

Inkslinger
01-22-22, 15:13
How many rounds do you have through the barrel? What indicators are leading you to think it needs replaced?

neil0311
01-22-22, 15:34
How many rounds do you have through the barrel? What indicators are leading you to think it needs replaced?

About 6K rounds over 5 years. It’s a cheap barrel listed in the specs as 4140 steel, not chrome lined, with S&W’s version of nitride finish. May not necessarily need to be replaced immediately, but just trying to understand what the best way to do it would be and what others do.

I know many do their own gunsmith work, but that’s not me.

Inkslinger
01-22-22, 15:43
About 6K rounds over 5 years. It’s a cheap barrel listed in the specs as 4140 steel, not chrome lined, with S&W’s version of nitride finish. May not necessarily need to be replaced immediately, but just trying to understand what the best way to do it would be and what others do.

I know many do their own gunsmith work, but that’s not me.

Unless you’re seeing a degradation in accuracy, I wouldn’t bother. But if you really want to, it’s not difficult. I’m sure there’s a million YouTube videos that can walk you through it. Just use good tools and take your time.

neil0311
01-22-22, 15:45
When we first got the rifle, my wife and I would go to the range and put about 200 rounds through in an hour. Not mag dumps, but successive 30 round mags without a lot of cooling down.

So I’m assuming that we’ll need a new barrel at some point soon. I haven’t noticed much issues with accuracy, but I haven’t shot that one in a while, and it’s been used only at an indoor range within 25 yards.

neil0311
01-22-22, 15:57
Unless you’re seeing a degradation in accuracy, I wouldn’t bother. But if you really want to, it’s not difficult. I’m sure there’s a million YouTube videos that can walk you through it. Just use good tools and take your time.

Assuming I didn’t do myself, it looks to me like replacing the upper would be close cost-wise when you factor in gunsmith work. Sound about right?

Inkslinger
01-22-22, 16:11
Assuming I didn’t do myself, it looks to me like replacing the upper would be close cost-wise when you factor in gunsmith work. Sound about right?

That would depend on the quality and features of the complete upper you replace it with. If you buy from a quality manufacturer, no probably not. Having the barrel replaced will most likely be a little cheaper.

titsonritz
01-22-22, 16:20
Don't you have any friends that can help you out? I've built or re-built for several of my friends. If you are anywhere near NW Oregon/SW Washington shoot me a PM and I rebuild that bitch for you. That said there is nothing wrong with having a spare upper (or rifle for that matter) laying around.

gaijin
01-22-22, 16:33
I’d wager 90+% of us were “non-DIY’ers” at one point.
Barrel swap isn’t difficult.

neil0311
01-22-22, 16:37
Thanks everyone. Sounds like the consensus is replace just the barrel when the accuracy is obviously bad. And I hear you on the DIY part, but I know my limitations. 😉

What I figured most people would recommend.

Todd.K
01-22-22, 17:25
I’ll say complete upper, unless it’s just a range beater/training gun. If you shoot a barrel out you should replace the bolt, and you can’t depend on gun you are running to failure in an emergency.

Just make sure you get someone reputable to change the barrel if you go that route.

GH41
01-22-22, 17:35
Smart man! I don't care what every other person says. You cannot buy the tools for a barrel change for anywhere near what a good smith would charge you to do it correctly. Is the S&W upper a flat top or does it have a FSB?

czgunner
01-22-22, 18:05
I'd be really surprised if somebody didn't live near you was happy to help you out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

neil0311
01-22-22, 18:21
Smart man! I don't care what every other person says. You cannot buy the tools for a barrel change for anywhere near what a good smith would charge you to do it correctly. Is the S&W upper a flat top or does it have a FSB?

It's a flat top. I have an Magpul MBUS rear sight with a RDS primary sight.

neil0311
01-22-22, 18:23
I'd be really surprised if somebody didn't live near you was happy to help you out.

No offense to anyone...lots of smart and capable people out there...but any work done to my guns that could impact safety is done by a professional for legal reasons.

neil0311
01-22-22, 18:25
I’ll say complete upper, unless it’s just a range beater/training gun. If you shoot a barrel out you should replace the bolt, and you can’t depend on gun you are running to failure in an emergency.

Just make sure you get someone reputable to change the barrel if you go that route.

The S&W M&P was our first AR and is just a range beater. But that's good to know about changing out the bolt as well. I didn't realize that was the case.

I've got several other more expensive ARs that won't need new barrels for a while, but wanted to know best practice and what others did. :-)

Inkslinger
01-22-22, 18:28
No offense to anyone...lots of smart and capable people out there...but any work done to my guns that could impact safety is done by a professional for legal reasons.

Then if you have someone do it for you, look for someone with armorer certifications and not just a “gunsmith”.

alx01
01-22-22, 22:23
6k rounds is not that much for a nitrided barrel.

I would just get a new upper with a new BCG (or at least a bolt) if you decide to go that route.

czgunner
01-23-22, 08:42
No offense to anyone...lots of smart and capable people out there...but any work done to my guns that could impact safety is done by a professional for legal reasons.Its your rifle, do your thing. Barrel change isn't rocket science though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

RMiller
01-23-22, 09:14
It's good to learn and have the tools to do things yourself.

Get a good vice, something to hold the receiver or one of the reaction rod type devices, and an AR tool.

opngrnd
01-23-22, 09:24
Easy route? Sell current upper at fair price and buy new upper. No gunsmithing, no buying tools, and someone else gets to get into their first AR at a decent price. There's enough life left in the upper to be someone else's first carbine.

ace4059
01-23-22, 13:06
Doesn’t S&W still have a lifetime warranty? I know they use to have great warranties and I remember S&W replacing barrels that were shot out for free. They even replaced some of the guys AR 5.45 barrels. Even Stag will do a free barrel replacement on their guns if you shoot it out.
I would inquire about the barrel to S&W when accuracy degrades.
Just a thought.

sinister
01-23-22, 13:50
If you can change the oil in your car you can change a rifle barrel. Way cheaper than buying a new upper and selling off the old one. New bolt at the end of your third barrel.

Once you have the tools you can do your others if you ever shoot another out.

Quick fix:

turnburglar
01-23-22, 14:47
I don't get the impression that the OP is the type that can or would change the oil in their own car.

OP- 5k rounds is just getting the party started with a nitride barrel. Dont replace anything. Just keep shooting.

01-23-22, 19:39
Those nitride M&P barrels are generally super accurate and cut correctly. I went through a sheriff’s department few of them this past year and they were all still running fine one the original wore-out springs and car buffers.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-23-22, 19:53
Plenty of great barrels that also come with heads paced bolts on the market. Criterion, noveske, ballistic advantage, etc. Can really make a mediocre upper into a great upper, both reliability and accuracy wise. It's not hard, but you need the right tools for sure.

MSW
01-30-22, 14:08
There’s a money & time commitment to home gunsmithing, so the easy way is to send it back to S&W when the barrel won’t hit crap, or buy a barrel & send it to John Thomas at Retro Arms work—no financial relationship—just a satisfied customer. There are several threads on him here & the Retro section of TOS.

Back in the day, I took an armorer’s course & invested the time & money because I enjoy doing it. But, I have seen people who screw things up based on YT video, then bring bubbified parts to get it done proper at a local store.

DoubleW
01-30-22, 16:55
Just send it in to S&W. They’ll replace it for free and ship it back. Use that lifetime warranty they advertise. I know a guy who shoots out his M&P barrel every couple of years. He sends it in, they rebarrel it and ship it back. Free of charge, no questions asked.