PDA

View Full Version : Train robbers are back!

WillBrink
01-23-22, 09:12
Good old LA...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ4S6AKtR4M

Alpha-17
01-23-22, 09:34
Oh, California, so laughable yet so self-righteous.

DG23
01-23-22, 09:53

Not just in Cali. They have been looting train cars in lots of states for a good while now.

This is not a 'new' thing.

Korgs130
01-23-22, 10:06
Not just in Cali. They have been looting train cars in lots of states for a good while now.

This is not a 'new' thing.

Yup. It’s been a problem in Chicago for a while. This is from last year I think. It’s getting worse of course and now the railroads are pressuring Soros’s DA to actually prosecute.

https://youtube.com/shorts/hB6lIqYoamo?feature=share

WillBrink
01-23-22, 10:12

Time to bring back some old school train security. Buckshot to the face did wonders for reducing train robberies.

DG23
01-23-22, 11:02
Time to bring back some old school train security. Buckshot to the face did wonders for reducing train robberies.

'Cept we are not living in the wild west days any longer and in most places you can't just shoot someone in the face for simple property theft.

Also would not be surprised if they DO have a part of their local PD assigned to 'train security' (they do in the city where my shop is at). Problem is having enough officers and how much train track there is for them to 'cover'. Every time those trains stop for more than a few minutes the criminals come out. Would cost cities a crap ton of money to hire enough police to secure every inch of track - It is not going to happen.

joedirt199
01-23-22, 11:43
Buddy was a union pacific Lieutenant in their securities/law enforcement and those guys are stretched thin. He went to california to help with the thefts and he said sitting on those train cars is long work. As soon as they left to get a break, they came back to a train car full of mexicans stealing tennis shoes. Of course they scattered and only caught a couple. That was years ago before all the shut down on distribution.

BoringGuy45
01-23-22, 12:36
Are these guys just looting unprotected cars? Or is this like the Old West, with armed gangs taking over the trains?

utahjeepr
01-23-22, 13:09
Are these guys just looting unprotected cars? Or is this like the Old West, with armed gangs taking over the trains?

OH BOY! Didn't you get the memo? Can't say "gang" anymore. "Organized minority group" is the new terminology. Jeez man!

Hank6046
01-23-22, 13:32
I saw this earlier, really like Matt Christian's take on it and how f'd California is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqyBmQOOsEw

jsbhike
01-23-22, 14:05
Remember seeing this in the news months back along with one of the area's legal system big wheels claiming they were unaware of any such thing happening.

Pacific5th
01-23-22, 16:36
I work for the other big Western RR and for all the issues we are having right now (and boy is there lots) they don’t seem to be having this issue. From what I understand UP has cut its police force to the bone. Yes California has a lot of blame in this but do not feel bad for UP. They reap what they sow. The name of game in class 1 RR’ing right now is cut cut cut and then cry and blame someone else when things go wrong.

01-23-22, 17:42

TAZ
01-23-22, 18:48
So, how much money and lip service have these RR execs paid to the DNC and their DA’s and… ad nauseum. I’m no RR expert, but I think we are going to find that a lot of this is self inflicted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
01-23-22, 18:55
So back in Florida before I moved, they were stealing the copper wire out of parking lot light posts. Also if you went on vacation there was a good chance your outdoor AC unit would be stripped of all it's copper when you got home. I suspect trains are just "rolling stock" for the taking these days.

joedirt199
01-23-22, 18:56
Yeah UP had a private golf course and mansion on a 600 acre private plot in our county. I have been to the mansion on alarm calls and they wouldn't let us in without a grounds keeper with us. Has a tennis court, pool, over looks the river, golf course was for executive schmoozing. I did play at a benefit for their railroad police on that course and it was a joke. We had to use porta jons and couldn't go in the club house, couldn't find a beer cart, and the gift bag was practically empty. At least our sheriff office gold fund raiser is a drinking fest at a gold course with tons of prizes.

Diamondback
01-23-22, 19:36
This shit would have never happened on the New York Central in great-grandpa's day... granted, the NYC bulls also probably benefited from the Five Families in New York and the Outfit in Chicago keeping things tamped down because things not looking stable was "bad for business," on top of the RR police working on "bust skulls first, questions later."

Coal Dragger
01-23-22, 21:12
I work for the other big Western RR and for all the issues we are having right now (and boy is there lots) they don’t seem to be having this issue. From what I understand UP has cut its police force to the bone. Yes California has a lot of blame in this but do not feel bad for UP. They reap what they sow. The name of game in class 1 RR’ing right now is cut cut cut and then cry and blame someone else when things go wrong.

Yep.

Actually as trashy as UP locomotives are, it wouldn’t surprise me if that is just what their right of way looks like all the time.

I have zero sympathy for any Class 1 RR at the moment. They’ll find that between shit and syphilis in a dictionary.

As for our road, I’m about to the point I don’t care if our current issue is ruled a minor dispute…. we should strike anyway. Screw them, I don’t care if their trains turn a wheel for a month.

.45fan
01-23-22, 21:24
Chicago is a railroad hub, the amount of train robberies there is super high and has been for decades.

Pacific5th
01-23-22, 21:25
Yep.

Actually as trashy as UP locomotives are, it wouldn’t surprise me if that is just what their right of way looks like all the time.

I have zero sympathy for any Class 1 RR at the moment. They’ll find that between shit and syphilis in a dictionary.

As for our road, I’m about to the point I don’t care if our current issue is ruled a minor dispute…. we should strike anyway. Screw them, I don’t care if their trains turn a wheel for a month.

There locos are trash. And yes I’m ready to strike. Besides the attendance policy and contract negotiations Spokane BLET after 6 years finally got to arbitration on our Article 9 only to have the Labor Relations guy and his assistant come down with COvId minites before it was supposed to start this weeks. To say our terminal is pissed is to put it mildly.

Diamondback
01-23-22, 21:28
Chicago is a railroad hub, the amount of train robberies there is super high and has been for decades.

True... NYCS has been dead since '68 and great-grandpa retired in '39. His day was a completely different world in a completely different time...

Coal Dragger
01-23-22, 21:41
There locos are trash. And yes I’m ready to strike. Besides the attendance policy and contract negotiations Spokane BLET after 6 years finally got to arbitration on our Article 9 only to have the Labor Relations guy and his assistant come down with COvId minites before it was supposed to start this weeks. To say our terminal is pissed is to put it mildly.

I hope the arbitrator looks unkindly on that bullshit and proceeds to push their shit in.

I’m sure tomorrow we’ll find out once again that Federal Judges in Texas are easily bribed and don’t give a shit about existing contracts. Everything is a minor dispute to those shit heads.

In the unlikely even it is a major dispute and we can strike, Congress and Let’s Go Brandon will screw us over and order us back to work anyway.

.45fan
01-23-22, 21:41
True... NYCS has been dead since '68 and great-grandpa retired in '39. His day was a completely different world in a completely different time...

I agree with that.

My grandfather retired from the railroad as a yard superintendent when the Chessie System got bought out in the late 80's.

I know a little about things from being his shadow as a kid, then when I started driving a big truck I would haul intermodal cans between Detroit and Chicago.

I now own a trucking company so I stay up to date on intermodal issues to know when is a good time to haul them or just stay away.
For the last few years we avoid them.

Alpha-17
01-24-22, 08:31
'Cept we are not living in the wild west days any longer and in most places you can't just shoot someone in the face for simple property theft.

And that's one of the biggest problems in the world today. Property should be held almost as sacred as life and liberty.

utahjeepr
01-24-22, 08:53
And that's one of the biggest problems in the world today. Property should be held almost as sacred as life and liberty.

Worse yet, amongst some the idea of standing up to property crime is considered "escalation". I have heard some lefties claim that it is the victims who are responsible for violence, because they resist.

Adrenaline_6
01-24-22, 12:08

Agreed. They say a life isn't worth property. They are right...if the thieves were also made aware of this fact, most wouldn't risk that cost to begin with. If they want to pay the "stupid price", that is on them.