PDA

View Full Version : spring loaded and fixed ejectors

kal
12-15-08, 19:13
It seems that most would say that a fixed ejector is better than a spring loaded ejector for reliability but I think there's more to it.

I think that a spring loaded ejector actually provides a more positive ejection simply because once the casing clears the chamber, whether the carrier experienced a short stroke or not, it gets ejected forcefully.

I understand and have experienced that when a rifle suffers from a short stroke with a fixed ejector, the casing may dribble out or may not even leave the weapon. In rifles such as the FAL, the ejector is so far back that a short stroke can cause a double feed. I could only imagine that had it been a spring loaded ejector, issues like that wouldn't have been documented.

The ar15 gets some flak for having a spring loaded ejector because it may get filthy and fail, but I've never read a whole lot of reports on failing ejectors, not as much as failing bolts! This just tells me that the spring loaded ejector issues may be a tad exaggerated.

What do you think? Is one better than the other? I'd say that the extistance of both is a matter of how the internals operate. When you have a bolt riding on rails, it would make sense to use a fixed ejector. When the carrier is the only reciprocating piece riding on rails, it would be easier to put the ejector onto the bolt face itself.

toddackerman
12-15-08, 22:56
All i know is that when I replace my ejector spring after 5000 rounds, i immediately notice a more "Robust" ejection pattern. With a fixed ejector, you get what you get.

Failure2Stop
12-16-08, 06:53
It is what it is- neither is immune to failure. I have seen many issues with the AR type ejector. Does that make it bad? Not in my opinon, it just meant that I maintain the weapon properly.

A bad ejector in an AR will cause double-feeds. Until caseless ammo works we will just have to take care of out extractors and ejectors.

FWIW- for some reason girls blush when you tell them to be sure to lube their ejectors :confused:.

Iraqgunz
12-16-08, 06:57
Lube the ejector? What is that and how do you do it? I think I have heard that comment about 100 times or so.

It is what it is- neither is immune to failure. I have seen many issues with the AR type ejector. Does that make it bad? Not in my opinon, it just meant that I maintain the weapon properly.

A bad ejector in an AR will cause double-feeds. Until caseless ammo works we will just have to take care of out extractors and ejectors.

FWIW- for some reason girls blush when you tell them to be sure to lube their ejectors :confused:.

markm
12-16-08, 07:17
Lube the ejector? What is that and how do you do it? I think I have heard that comment about 100 times or so.

I think it means putting a drop of lube on the bolt face so it'll flow down into the ejectory channel.

telecustom
12-16-08, 11:11
I think it means putting a drop of lube on the bolt face so it'll flow down into the ejectory channel.

Yep, then you take a spent casing and using to exercise the ejector (it is a little a hard to do with a stiff ejector but it helps get the lube in all the right places).

markm
12-16-08, 11:15
I think I may have done that once or twice. But I don't make a habit of it. It's not a part of my regular cleaning or maintenance.

Toten Kopf
12-16-08, 12:01
***********end of line

Failure2Stop
12-16-08, 19:13
Gunz-
What markm and telecustom said.

I turn the bolt at about a 45 degree angle with the ejector at the bottom and create a pool of CLP with the dropper. The work the ejector in and out, either with a piece of brass/dummy or a suitable tool until the ejector moves freely and quickly to the fully extended position.

I have seen issues with worn-out ejectors, excessively dirty ejectors, and fouled ejectors- possibly due to out of spec brass.

kal
12-16-08, 20:26
What is the expected life span of a spring loaded ejector? At how many rounds does the weapon suffer serious malfunctions due to a worn out ejector/ ejector spring?

Doesn't the M240 use a spring loaded ejector? For a machine gun to use a spring loaded ejector, I'd only suspect that it takes quite a while until you see profound effects of ejector or ejector spring failure, otherwise it would have never been designed that way.

markm
12-17-08, 07:38
What is the expected life span of a spring loaded ejector? At how many rounds does the weapon suffer serious malfunctions due to a worn out ejector/ ejector spring?

I've never changed one in my life. I suppose anything can wear out eventually though.

Iraqgunz
12-17-08, 09:10
F2S,

Sorry I forgot to add sarcastic smiley face guy. I know what it is. I was referring to the comments I get from some of the knuckle dragger types :D when I talk about the ejector.

Gunz-
What markm and telecustom said.

I turn the bolt at about a 45 degree angle with the ejector at the bottom and create a pool of CLP with the dropper. The work the ejector in and out, either with a piece of brass/dummy or a suitable tool until the ejector moves freely and quickly to the fully extended position.

I have seen issues with worn-out ejectors, excessively dirty ejectors, and fouled ejectors- possibly due to out of spec brass.

Failure2Stop
12-17-08, 09:14
F2S,

Sorry I forgot to add sarcastic smiley face guy. I know what it is I was referring to the comments I get from some of the knuckle dragger types :D when I talk about the ejector.

WHEW!
I was starting to wonder about you. ;) When I have been drinking my ability to comprehend written sarcasm dropps to just above 0.

I never even thought about the implication of the statement until one kid looked at me sideways with a big sh*t eating grin. I still chuckle when I think about it.

decodeddiesel
12-17-08, 09:55

Doesn't the M240 use a spring loaded ejector? For a machine gun to use a spring loaded ejector, I'd only suspect that it takes quite a while until you see profound effects of ejector or ejector spring failure, otherwise it would have never been designed that way.

Usually I would see cracking on the bolts on our M4s in my unit before I would ever see an ejector failure.

That being said, I had a nasty malfunction with my LMT about a year ago with PRVI M193. A brass chip which presumably the extractor had cut out of the rim somehow got stuck in the ejector channel and jammed the ejector "in" the bolt. What a nightmare that was to fix. Basically it involved a brass punch, a ton of lube, and my vise to clear out the brass chip. :eek: Funny thing is I NEVER saw anything like that in the Army when shooting Lake City ammo or Black Hills ammo.