PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of Laugo Alien transfer to non-gas-delayed gun?

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-24-22, 02:08
Let me just say I love my P7 and I believe in gas delayed systems and I think that the Alien is a super cool gun. But it seems like it can't get away from the three issues of gas delayed guns- price, snappiness, and heat.

Like I said, I love my P7, but it is pretty snappy for a heavy 9mm. From the reviews I've seen, the Alien- even though it has the low bore axis and shoots great- is still 'snappy'. I thought that it was interesting that the spring set up isn't more complex to keep the slide from hitting to the rear.

I also see reports that it doesn't heat up like a P7, but it still has some issues with heat build up- which is totally understandable.

And lastly, they ain't cheap, I assume because it is special, but the gas delayed blow back system I though required tolerances that make it inherently more expensive.

Looking at the gun as it is torn down, why couldn't you keep the low bore axis- which I think is the real advantage, but with a more common recoil spring, tilting barrel, and old school mass for recoil?

Low bore axis, ease of changing sighting system, non recip sight system are not exclusive to a gas blow back system is it?

Seems like something CZ would come out with.

jsbhike
01-24-22, 08:36
Let me just say I love my P7 and I believe in gas delayed systems and I think that the Alien is a super cool gun. But it seems like it can't get away from the three issues of gas delayed guns- price, snappiness, and heat.

Like I said, I love my P7, but it is pretty snappy for a heavy 9mm. From the reviews I've seen, the Alien- even though it has the low bore axis and shoots great- is still 'snappy'. I thought that it was interesting that the spring set up isn't more complex to keep the slide from hitting to the rear.

I also see reports that it doesn't heat up like a P7, but it still has some issues with heat build up- which is totally understandable.

And lastly, they ain't cheap, I assume because it is special, but the gas delayed blow back system I though required tolerances that make it inherently more expensive.

Looking at the gun as it is torn down, why couldn't you keep the low bore axis- which I think is the real advantage, but with a more common recoil spring, tilting barrel, and old school mass for recoil?

Low bore axis, ease of changing sighting system, non recip sight system are not exclusive to a gas blow back system is it?

Seems like something CZ would come out with.

Walther CCP has a gas delayed blow back system and is fairly cheap. I didn't do a bunch of mag dumps with mine so never experienced the heat issue, but have seen a review or 2 that it can and will get warm if you dump enough rounds through it, but not burning skin hot.

It was 100% reliable with jacketed bullets, but would fail with in a few mags with powder coated cast lead(fouled the piston and cylinder till it was tight) so I ended up trading it. From what I have read from casters of the waxy liberal only area, the P7 didn't play well with cast either.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-26-22, 21:32
Interesting on the CCP. I’m surprised that the delayed blow back isn’t more popular because of the fixed barrel and suppressors.

Interesting that the Laugo isn’t left-hand friendly. With the bore as low as it is, the ejection port is where a left handed hold wants to go, at least for Ian of Forgotten Weapons fame says.