PDA

View Full Version : The world's greatest bolt gun turns 10 years old.

markm
01-24-22, 14:22
10 years ago Pappabear got this Rem 700 .223 5R bolt gun for his birthday.

It is simply the best gun we run, by far. It's a laser beam that always leaves a smile on your face. It comes out to the range with us every weekend.

https://i.imgur.com/NDOrhmq.jpg

It's like having a pellet gun that can reach out to 1300 yards.

https://i.imgur.com/S8ERlVG.jpg

Pappabear
01-24-22, 14:34
The best trainer anyone could use to practice fundamentals, trigger control, Doping Wind.....It shoots half inch groups all day long. All I did is Timney trigger, bedding job and karsten cheek weld.

Do you have an old gun you never get tired of firing?

PB

HKGuns
01-24-22, 14:48
10 years ago. Would you both still have the same opinion of more recent production Remmy 700 rifles?

markm
01-24-22, 14:59
10 years ago. Would you both still have the same opinion of more recent production Remmy 700 rifles?

We haven't run a newer Rem 700. Pappabear does have several Remmies, none of which have been anything but great, but no current production guns. Other bolt guns are Bergara, FN, Daniel Defense, etc.

Pappabear
01-24-22, 15:08

And I think their 5R barrels / guns were their top end offerings. Mark has a Standard Remmy 308 that shoots lights out. But we did the baseline upgrades which squeezes out a little more accuracy.

I think if you buy Rubber stock basic Remmy, well you are probably hit or miss on those guns. And I would buy a Bergara over a Remmy in this era. My other Remmys have been gutted and upgraded with Kreigers and McMillian stocks.....Back when it was the best option for the money.

PB

Mjolnir
01-24-22, 19:28
We haven't run a newer Rem 700. Pappabear does have several Remmies, none of which have been anything but great, but no current production guns. Other bolt guns are Bergara, FN, Daniel Defense, etc.

How are your FN SPR rifles working for you?

For the life of me, I wish FN would have continued with that rifle… [emoji2369] [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pappabear
01-24-22, 20:14

For the life of me, I wish FN would have continued with that rifle… [emoji2369] [emoji22]

That rifle has been amazing as well. CL barrel that shoot sub moa. We had some 168 ELD's that shot a ragged hole a few weeks back. Its a 1/12 twist but still shoots the heavies just fine. I have nothing to say bad about that CL gun that should go 10,000 rounds.

Mjoiner, I'm shocked they didnt sell more of those rifles for DMR rifles to our boys, makes no sense

PB

dmd08
01-24-22, 23:01
How many rounds on it over a decade?

HKGuns
01-25-22, 09:01

I'm a bit gun shy (literally) about recent production Remington stuff. Was kind of hoping you had some of their newer production models. The only bolt rifles I have left are Sako's and they're fantastic, but are set up as hunting rigs.

markm
01-25-22, 10:01
How many rounds on it over a decade?

We don't keep super accurate track, but based on an estimate of 40 range trips per year and 20 rounds per trip... 8000 rounds.

I'm a bit gun shy (literally) about recent production Remington stuff. Was kind of hoping you had some of their newer production models. The only bolt rifles I have left are Sako's and they're fantastic, but are set up as hunting rigs.

I haven't read anything one way or another. Last rumors I heard was since they went to one station CNC years ago, a lot of the slop/mediocrity went away.

Mjolnir
01-25-22, 10:59
That rifle has been amazing as well. CL barrel that shoot sub moa. We had some 168 ELD's that shot a ragged hole a few weeks back. Its a 1/12 twist but still shoots the heavies just fine. I have nothing to say bad about that CL gun that should go 10,000 rounds.

Mjoiner, I'm shocked they didnt sell more of those rifles for DMR rifles to our boys, makes no sense

PB

I have a NIB, unfired A3G. I’ve been far too busy in life to take the time and stretch it’s legs.

I also bought an SPR action - should have bought two or three.

I initially thought/was told that FN would barrel that action for me but when I spoke to them they said it would be too labor intensive for them at that time.

I’ll get Mike Rock to put a 17-4 PH stainless steel barrel with a 1/10 twist (if he can locate the steel) or perhaps get a Carbon-fiber PROOF twisted on it. Not sure and my life circumstances are such that I am not in a position to do a lot of long range Precision shooting/training so maybe I’ll do nothing. [emoji2369]

I adore the FN rifles and should have purchased a basic one after the A3G. I kick myself everything I look at it…

C-grunt
01-25-22, 14:41

When I went out with them a couple years ago I saw Markm make a few hits on a target at 1300ish yards with that rifle shooting (I believe) 175 SMK. It's an amazing rifle. The reason I had my APR built was because of that rifle, and I couldn't find a FN for sale anywhere.

Pappabear
01-25-22, 14:45
Mijoir, you have got the ultimate stash. Post a pic of that FN goodness. Their actions are highly sought after, as you know. Well done.

PB

Mjolnir
01-25-22, 18:06
Mijoir, you have got the ultimate stash. Post a pic of that FN goodness. Their actions are highly sought after, as you know. Well done.

PB

Will do. I’ll have to drag them out of the safe. The photos I did have I’ve deleted but they were six years old.

Straight Shooter
01-26-22, 07:38
PB- gettin any trigger time on that old M788?

markm
01-26-22, 08:49
PB- gettin any trigger time on that old M788?

:laugh: Now he's going to have to find it and bring it out.

BrigandTwoFour
01-26-22, 12:15
I keep telling myself I don't really need a .223 bolt action, but I know it's going to happen sooner or later. It just seems like it would be too much fun.

Pappabear
01-26-22, 12:25
SS, we will take it out Sunday in your honor.

PB

markm
01-26-22, 12:33
I keep telling myself I don't really need a .223 bolt action, but I know it's going to happen sooner or later. It just seems like it would be too much fun.

I'd argue that MOST people ONLY need a .223 bolt gun. I always chuckle when guys ask what gun to buy and they say they can only shoot to 400 yards in their area.... yet they think they need a 7.62 or a 6.5cm, etc. WTF? Save a fortune on ammo and run a .223 that will get you to 1000 yards easy.

Straight Shooter
01-27-22, 08:36
SS, we will take it out Sunday in your honor.

PB

AWESOME PB..thanks. If yall could get some pics, that would really be great.

markm
01-27-22, 09:17
AWESOME PB..thanks. If yall could get some pics, that would really be great.

The thing with that gun is:

1. It's a 12 twist, so the ammo selection falls outside of our normal weight range, AND

2. There's not suppressor on the barrel.

I don't mind shooting loud guns, but it is disruptive to have to find some muffs in the middle of a shoot.

Straight Shooter
01-27-22, 16:45

1. It's a 12 twist, so the ammo selection falls outside of our normal weight range, AND

I don't mind shooting loud guns, but it is disruptive to have to find some muffs in the middle of a shoot.

For some reason I thought it was a .243.

Straight Shooter
01-27-22, 16:45

markm
01-27-22, 17:05

Nope. I think .243 was one of the calibers they made, but it's .223

Straight Shooter
01-28-22, 07:51
Nope. I think .243 was one of the calibers they made, but it's .223

Gotcha. Yes, mine back in the late 70's was a 24" .243 that was unreal accurate.

RUTGERS95
01-28-22, 08:58
agree on the fn spr rifles!

lowprone
01-28-22, 17:53
The 5R SS barrel makes his rifle one of the MilSpec models Remington offered at that time.
I have one in 7.62 Nato and it shoots very well, paid less than a grand for a serious contender.

Pappabear
01-28-22, 18:01
The 5R SS barrel makes his rifle one of the MilSpec models Remington offered at that time.
I have one in 7.62 Nato and it shoots very well, paid less than a grand for a serious contender.

At one time I had the exact same gun in 223, 308 and 300WM and all shot great. I sold the 308 to my bother and the 300 to a stranger, but those guns were the best gun for the money in the day.

I mean exact, all had NF scopes, Timney....loved those guns, all legit.

PB

Straight Shooter
02-01-22, 12:37
PB & markm...how did the Sunday shoot go? PB..did you get to bring out that M788?

markm
02-01-22, 13:28
PB & markm...how did the Sunday shoot go? PB..did you get to bring out that M788?

We did! Didn't have our normal ranch truck with the ammo tool box in the bed. So the lightest load we had was 69 gr which shot over 3MOA.

Straight Shooter
02-01-22, 15:17
We did! Didn't have our normal ranch truck with the ammo tool box in the bed. So the lightest load we had was 69 gr which shot over 3MOA.

That isnt good...I know yall had a great time tho...due to work and other things its been awhile since Ive pulled a trigger. Sucks.

markm
02-01-22, 15:58
That isnt good...I know yall had a great time tho...due to work and other things its been awhile since Ive pulled a trigger. Sucks.

Yep. There's a bag of ammo dedicated to that gun in the Ranch Truck. We also forgot the good 6.5 CM (lapua brass) ammo, and the wind was ripping.. So I was irritated as f*@K for a good part of the shoot.

Pappabear
02-01-22, 16:18
Here she is

http://i.imgur.com/g7iX9Eh.jpg (https://imgur.com/g7iX9Eh)

I saw this box of 60 grain Vmax ammo in the vault and thought Perfect for the 788, look closely, I didn't

http://i.imgur.com/0K54t6U.jpg (https://imgur.com/0K54t6U)

Bought that to test out my Bulgarian AK74, shot good out off that gun, LOL
I sprayed the 69 grainers all over the place, it was ugly.

PB

Straight Shooter
02-01-22, 18:21
Here she is

http://i.imgur.com/g7iX9Eh.jpg (https://imgur.com/g7iX9Eh)

I saw this box of 60 grain Vmax ammo in the vault and thought Perfect for the 788, look closely, I didn't

http://i.imgur.com/0K54t6U.jpg (https://imgur.com/0K54t6U)

Bought that to test out my Bulgarian AK74, shot good out off that gun, LOL
I sprayed the 69 grainers all over the place, it was ugly.

PB

Thanks for the pics and report fellas...you know most of us here would give eye teeth to join yall on a shoot sometime..I know I would.

Pappabear
02-02-22, 12:57
Come on down or over and let’s shoot. Or if your ever in AZ. No eye teeth needed, we just like to send it.

PB

sapper36
05-01-22, 17:59
I have a R700 in 223 that also shoots lights out and I love it. I grew up in Sierra Vista and now live in Michigan, so I am very jealous of you guys!!

Pappabear
07-03-22, 18:36
I have a NIB, unfired A3G. I’ve been far too busy in life to take the time and stretch it’s legs.

I also bought an SPR action - should have bought two or three.

I initially thought/was told that FN would barrel that action for me but when I spoke to them they said it would be too labor intensive for them at that time.

I’ll get Mike Rock to put a 17-4 PH stainless steel barrel with a 1/10 twist (if he can locate the steel) or perhaps get a Carbon-fiber PROOF twisted on it. Not sure and my life circumstances are such that I am not in a position to do a lot of long range Precision shooting/training so maybe I’ll do nothing. [emoji2369]

I adore the FN rifles and should have purchased a basic one after the A3G. I kick myself everything I look at it…

Mjoinir, did you ever get out and bang on that A3G? You made everyone jelly on that post.

The only thing that sucks with buying new guns is putting all the shit on them, Glass-Bipod-Level-Bedding job-Unicorn juice......

PB

AndyLate
09-26-22, 06:54

They really are worth owning. I have a Ruger Compact American Rifle and a CZ 527 Varmint. Both are very enjoyable to shoot and shoot well, the Ruger better than it should with its floppy stock and 2-7x scope (I have less than $500 in the whole package).

Andy